Image ImageImage Image

KC: Bulls Interested in Drafting Kris Dunn

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Re: KC: Bulls Interested in Drafting Kris Dunn 

Post#481 » by kingkirk » Sun May 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Wharton Alum 08 wrote:I'm so confused AAU basketball and Calapari is being blamed for point guards not knowing how to play off the ball. I read some stuff that doesn't make sense on here but this is up there. Point guards aren't designed to be off ball players. Their purpose is to be on ball. And the only reason people are saying guys like Rose, Wall can't be effective off the ball is because they're not great shooters.

??

Their purposes is to initiate an offense. Their purpose isn't solely to be the offense and to have the ball at all times, which would be the only justification for a point guard not working off all.

Why aren't point guards designed to be off ball? Arr they designed to be pounding the rock for 24 seconds? What are they doing when they don't have it?

Tony Parker is going to the HoF in part because of his incredible ability to work off ball to get the shots he needs when receiving the ball.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#482 » by Red Larrivee » Sun May 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Shill wrote:This.

Is spot-up shooting the top priority for our PG?

If Jimmy is going to be here long-term and continue playing the style he is, then a point guard who can make threes efficiently in catch/shoot scenarios is important. That doesn't mean the player has to be Derek Fisher. He can still be someone who gets his own offense, but the success of a backcourt is determined by one player succeeding without the ball.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#483 » by kingkirk » Sun May 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Shill wrote:This.

Is spot-up shooting the top priority for our PG?

If Jimmy is going to be here long-term and continue playing the style he is, then a point guard who can make threes efficiently in catch/shoot scenarios is important. That doesn't mean the player has to be Derek Fisher. He can still be someone who gets his own offense, but the success of a backcourt is determined by one player succeeding without the ball.

Yep.

If we've learned anything from Butler and Rose, it's that these can't (or are unlikely to) co-exist if both want to get the same shots from the same areas by doing the same thing.

If you're drafting or pairing Butler with a near match of himself, it won't work because the volume and possession time just isn't enough for it to be effective in the halfcourt, which is seemingly where Butler wants to operate in.
TheJordanRule
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#484 » by TheJordanRule » Sun May 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Gar Paxdorf wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
Gar Paxdorf wrote:I'm far from the biggest Butler fan but it blows my mind that anyone is discussing trading him for anything other than a player currently better than him or a top prospect that projects to be better (like maybe Simmons). Just blows my mind. I would have thought people would have watched a team full of "nice pieces" for two years and realize that "nice pieces" have **** value to winning.

This team needs to consolidate the bunch of "noce pieces" we already have into an additional actual really good/great piece, and then hope Derrick can be one so that we have three really strong players.

Any plan based on "hoping Derrick can be great" is a bad one. Our plan should involve Derrick not being here.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Right now IMO Rose is as valuable as a top 5 pick. Getting rid of him is not addition by subtraction. When I say he's as valuable as a top 5 pick I mean that he has about the same chance of being a really good piece going forward that a top 5 pick has. I'd describe that chance as not great, but very noteworthy, unlike say the chances that Bobby Portis, E'Twan Moore or a #14 pick will be really good pieces.

Rose is kinda like a top 5 pick with the trade value of a 2nd rounder.

Rose's upside could be massive. The only difference is he costs $20 mil, has terrifying injury issues, and he's 27, which means he likely has 3 - 4 years left before he falls off the cliff. That's if his health holds up and we can re-sign him next year. I agree that Rose's floor is higher than the typical Top 5 pick, and that Rose's upside is higher as well. But it's not just about Rose vs Top 5 pick. It's Rose vs Top 5 + an additional $20 mil freed up to spend in free agency, where there are a lot of players who outproduced Rose this season, and who have fewer injury and chemistry concerns, along with a longer window to be effective NBA players.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#485 » by LoveDaBoo » Sun May 15, 2016 10:08 pm

TheJordanRule wrote:I agree that Rose's floor is higher than the typical Top 5 pick, and that Rose's upside is higher as well.

There's no way that's true. You hope a top 5 pick will be a star. I don't see that ever happening for Rose again. Very low chance of that, IMO, even lower than a top 5 pick. And zero potential of ever being a superstar again.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
TheJordanRule
Veteran

Post#486 » by TheJordanRule » Sun May 15, 2016 10:50 pm

LoveDaBoo wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:I agree that Rose's floor is higher than the typical Top 5 pick, and that Rose's upside is higher as well.

There's no way that's true. You hope a top 5 pick will be a star. I don't see that ever happening for Rose again. Very low chance of that, IMO, even lower than a top 5 pick. And zero potential of ever being a superstar again.

Rose's floor is a 6th man scorer. He proved that in this past trainwreck of a season. As bad as that is, a Top 5 pick's floor is a nonfactor who's out of the league by Year 4. Draft picks bust frequently. I agree that it will be unlikely that Rose returns to MVP or even star status, but the odds of that happening DO seem more likely than a Top 5 pick who has never demonstrated the ability to become that good ever before. I still like the package of Top 5 pick + $20 mil in cap space over Rose. I don't like or dislike Rose. I'm just trying to be object about the kid's value.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,484

Post#487 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Mon May 16, 2016 1:23 am

TheJordanRule wrote:
LoveDaBoo wrote:

Rose's floor is a 6th man scorer. He proved that in this past trainwreck of a season. As bad as that is, a Top 5 pick's floor is a nonfactor who's out of the league by Year 4. Draft picks bust frequently. I agree that it will be unlikely that Rose returns to MVP or even star status, but the odds of that happening DO seem more likely than a Top 5 pick who has never demonstrated the ability to become that good ever before. I still like the package of Top 5 pick + $20 mil in cap space over Rose. I don't like or dislike Rose. I'm just trying to be object about the kid's value.

Rose's floor is he blows another wheel and is rehabbing until he's 30.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
TheJordanRule
Veteran

Post#488 » by TheJordanRule » Mon May 16, 2016 1:26 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:
LoveDaBoo wrote:There's no way that's true. You hope a top 5 pick will be a star. I don't see that ever happening for Rose again. Very low chance of that, IMO, even lower than a top 5 pick. And zero potential of ever being a superstar again.

Ouch.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,310

Post#489 » by d boy gentleman » Mon May 16, 2016 2:20 am

TheJordanRule wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
TheJordanRule wrote:

Ouch.

coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#490 » by MC3 » Mon May 16, 2016 2:42 am

Does anybody really sees Bulls trading for Dunn?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#491 » by Chi town » Mon May 16, 2016 2:53 am

MC3 wrote:Does anybody really sees Bulls trading for Dunn?

Only if he drops enough for Portis and Sac pick to get him.

Or

Sixers get two top 5 picks and they want Rose.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#492 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue May 17, 2016 4:43 am

I'm off Dunn.

He's a four year guy that didn't dominate in college and there isn't a track record of those guys doing much in the NBA.

Redick, Fredette, Lillard, McCollum, McDermott... they all put up monster numbers as seniors. Even Buckets put up a 24 PER as a junior, and on a much lower usage% than Dunn.

I just don't see a precedent for someone with his profile becoming a high-level starter let alone a star. This draft is weak enough that I'd give him a look if we lucked our way into the top 3, but parting with an asset to trade up seems like a reach to me.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

Post#493 » by HomoSapien » Tue May 17, 2016 4:45 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:I'm off Dunn.

He's a four year guy that didn't dominate in college and there isn't a track record of those guys doing much in the NBA.

Redick, Fredette, Lillard, McCollum, McDermott... they all put up monster numbers as seniors. Even Buckets put up a 24 PER as a junior, and on a much lower usage% than Dunn.

I just don't see a precedent for someone with his profile becoming a high-level starter let alone a star. This draft is weak enough that I'd give him a look if lucked our way into the top 3, but parting with an asset to trade up seems like a reach to me.

I have these same concerns. He has obvious skills, but are there any examples of non-dominant seniors becoming stars in the NBA?
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#494 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Tue May 17, 2016 4:50 am

HomoSapien wrote:

I just don't see a precedent for someone with his profile becoming a high-level starter let alone a star. This draft is weak enough that I'd give him a look if lucked our way into the top 3, but parting with an asset to trade up seems like a reach to me.

I have these same concerns. He has obvious skills, but are there any examples of non-dominant seniors becoming stars in the NBA?

I honestly can't think of a single one.

Frankly I can't remember the last time a non-dominant senior was taken in the lottery, let alone the top 5. And I'm confused as to why an exception should be made for Dunn. The time he missed due to injury? That's not very convincing.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#495 » by HomoSapien » Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

I honestly can't think of a single one.

Frankly I can't remember the last time a non-dominant senior was taken in the lottery, let alone the top 5. And I'm confused as to why an exception should be made for Dunn. The time he missed due to injury? That's not very convincing.

I suppose the injury setbacks may have stunted his development some and the hope is that he's essentially a junior in terms of experience, but if anything you'd expect the injury history/age to hurt his stock.
tedwilliams1999
Veteran
And1: 1,787

Post#496 » by tedwilliams1999 » Tue May 17, 2016 7:27 am

HomoSapien wrote:

The intrigue with Dunn starts with his pretty dominant defensive metrics and his elite play-making ability, both of which should translate over to the NBA. This gives him a pretty high floor and an outside shot at being the best player in the draft. I do agree though, that giving up an asset to get him may not be the smartest idea, particularly when Baldwin may be available at 14.

The more I look into Baldwin's numbers from his season, the more impressed I am. For example, it's pretty incredible how Baldwin managed a TS% of about 57, despite the fact that he was a terrible finisher around the rim. Percentage at the rim is one statistic for which we can usually project improvement as players graduate to the NBA. There's much more room to operate in the paint in the NBA, as the game is more spaced out. Baldwin also played with Damian Jones, who clogged up the center of the lane.

I wonder if Vanderbilt would've run the offense through Baldwin what kinds of numbers we would've seen him put up. He's currently projected as a 3 and D guy because of his solid shooting touch and his athletic profile, but it seems like he may have some potential to create a lot of offense as well. His handle definitely needs to improve though, and keep up with his athleticism so that he can attack the basket relentlessly.

After Dunn and Baldwin, I don't feel too confident in the next few point guards on the draft board. Jackson might have a pretty safe floor since he can shoot the ball, but he doesn't really have any above average skills as of right now; he's just sorta good at everything. Gary Payton II is pretty intriguing, especially because of his athleticism and potential to be a defensive stopper, but he can't seem to dribble around a cone. Then we have Tyler Ulis, on the other end of the spectrum; all the skills in the world but size is a major concern.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#497 » by realEAST » Tue May 17, 2016 8:39 am

tedwilliams1999 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

The intrigue with Dunn starts with his pretty dominant defensive metrics and his elite play-making ability, both of which should translate over to the NBA. This gives him a pretty high floor and an outside shot at being the best player in the draft. I do agree though, that giving up an asset to get him may not be the smartest idea, particularly when Baldwin may be available at 14.

The more I look into Baldwin's numbers from his season, the more impressed I am. For example, it's pretty incredible how Baldwin managed a TS% of about 57, despite the fact that he was a terrible finisher around the rim. Percentage at the rim is one statistic for which we can usually project improvement as players graduate to the NBA. There's much more room to operate in the paint in the NBA, as the game is more spaced out. Baldwin also played with Damian Jones, who clogged up the center of the lane.

I wonder if Vanderbilt would've run the offense through Baldwin what kinds of numbers we would've seen him put up. He's currently projected as a 3 and D guy because of his solid shooting touch and his athletic profile, but it seems like he may have some potential to create a lot of offense as well. His handle definitely needs to improve though, and keep up with his athleticism so that he can attack the basket relentlessly.

After Dunn and Baldwin, I don't feel too confident in the next few point guards on the draft board. Jackson might have a pretty safe floor since he can shoot the ball, but he doesn't really have any above average skills as of right now; he's just sorta good at everything. Gary Payton II is pretty intriguing, especially because of his athleticism and potential to be a defensive stopper, but he can't seem to dribble around a cone. Then we have Tyler Ulis, on the other end of the spectrum; all the skills in the world but size is a major concern.

I refuse to acknowladge guard with TO to asist ratio of 1:1.5 as elite playmaker, especially since he was an athletically dominant senior. No way.

As for Baldwin, my opinion on him improved a bit - he is not as athletic as advertised (speed and leap), but from what I've seen he is more skilled than advertised, especially his handles, not bad at all. He lacks the ability to change directions (as Jackson does well), but he',ll get there I think. And is youngest among all.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#498 » by samwana » Tue May 17, 2016 8:44 am

If we can get Dunn with giving up Rose I be all for doing the trade. If we give up assets I don't like it that much.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#499 » by HomoSapien » Tue May 17, 2016 9:28 am

realEAST wrote:
tedwilliams1999 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

I refuse to acknowladge guard with TO to asist ratio of 1:1.5 as elite playmaker, especially since he was an athletically dominant senior. No way.

As for Baldwin, my opinion on him improved a bit - he is not as athletic as advertised (speed and leap), but from what I've seen he is more skilled than advertised, especially his handles, not bad at all. He lacks the ability to change directions (as Jackson does well), but he',ll get there I think. And is youngest among all.

I second this. You're not an elite play maker if you're throwing the ball away nearly 4 times a game. Valentine and Ulis are elite playmakers.
realEAST
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#500 » by realEAST » Tue May 17, 2016 11:16 am

samwana wrote:If we can get Dunn with giving up Rose I be all for doing the trade. If we give up assets I don't like it that much.

I don't see it happening, don't believe 76-ers give 4. or 5. pick for him, no way. I can agree to some point that he holds that kind of value to us, but 76-ers won't give up on pick that high to get him. Nor would Kings for that matter I think.

And if we really do succeed in moving that high, I'd aim for Murray - much more talented and much better fit for Bulls, along Jimmy would create very nice BC combo.

Return to Chicago Bulls