Image ImageImage Image

The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season

Moderators: Ben, HomoSapien, GimmeDat, DASMACKDOWN, Tommy Udo 6 , RedBulls83, Ice Man, fleet

User avatar
RememberLu
RealGM
Posts: 11,114
And1: 5,216
Joined: Feb 22, 2014

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#41 » by RememberLu » Thu Jun 9, 2016 4:35 am

comical
ADDinChicago
Analyst
Posts: 3,352
And1: 757
Joined: Dec 30, 2013

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#42 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jun 9, 2016 7:30 am

They Sox have rarely developed their own position players. They usually have obtained them through trades more than anything.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 42,635
And1: 9,637
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#43 » by fleet » Thu Jun 9, 2016 11:15 am

I miss Tatis. :wink:
JackFinn wrote:I see you're back from a trip at the smarty pants store.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
Posts: 22,790
And1: 1,018
Joined: May 30, 2003
         

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#44 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Jun 9, 2016 5:30 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
IcemanGervin wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:Very highly regarded prospect..but He's only 17. Likely won't make an impact for many years (if at all). Also the Padres are a DISASTER this year and are hitting the reset button all over again..Shields had to go.


This has been the sox problem my entire life. It sucks but my god sometimes you have to wait for things in life. They have always tried to fill leaking holes will bubblegum and the dam bursts every single year. I was just thinking in my car today at work, in my entire lifetime of white sox baseball I cannot remember 1 single exciting homegrown position player prospect to come up through our system and become a bonafide superstar in the league. I'm 26 so I guess this would apply post-Frank Thomas.


Magglio Ordonez is pretty much it post Big Hurt. The Org needs a complete tear down from the top to bottom. I went from complete excitement for this season in April to complete disinterest in the span of 3 **** weeks. 6-20 in our last 26 games. Good grief :banghead: .


Carlos Lee I think came later, but your point stands. That's why I wanted to keep Trayce Thompson. Tatis would've been nice as well, but I had no problem giving him up. I do have a problem giving him up for James Shields though. I didn't think he would be good.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
Posts: 42,635
And1: 9,637
Joined: Dec 23, 2002
     

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#45 » by fleet » Thu Jun 9, 2016 9:33 pm

Reinsdorf puts too much pressure on the Sox to max out wins every single season at the expense of building a long term sustainable pipeline that would be more productive. But the man is crazed by the Cubs. Or just crazed.
JackFinn wrote:I see you're back from a trip at the smarty pants store.
User avatar
dice
RealGM
Posts: 27,685
And1: 6,302
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#46 » by dice » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 am

so we're not gonna get that crosstown world series this year, huh?
JordansBulls
RealGM
Posts: 54,957
And1: 2,883
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: HCA (Homecourt Advantage)

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#47 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 am

dice wrote:so we're not gonna get that crosstown world series this year, huh?

Man we were up like 10 games in the standings now back 3.5 games.
Image
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
User avatar
dice
RealGM
Posts: 27,685
And1: 6,302
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: chicago

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#48 » by dice » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:31 am

JordansBulls wrote:
dice wrote:so we're not gonna get that crosstown world series this year, huh?

Man we were up like 10 games in the standings now back 3.5 games.

seriously? knew the sox were doing well early in the season but today was the first time i've checked the standings
JordansBulls
RealGM
Posts: 54,957
And1: 2,883
Joined: Jul 12, 2006
Location: HCA (Homecourt Advantage)

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#49 » by JordansBulls » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:33 am

dice wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:
dice wrote:so we're not gonna get that crosstown world series this year, huh?

Man we were up like 10 games in the standings now back 3.5 games.

seriously? knew the sox were doing well early in the season but today was the first time i've checked the standings

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=2016-05-13

Code: Select all

Tm    W    L    W-L%    GB    RS    RA    pythW-L%
CHW    24    12    .667    --    162    121    .630
CLE    17    15    .531    5.0    139    124    .552
KCR    17    18    .486    6.5    127    142    .449
DET    15    20    .429    8.5    147    161    .458
MIN    8    26    .235    15.0    117    181    .310
Image
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
User avatar
Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,693
And1: 338
Joined: Jun 06, 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
       

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#50 » by Wont PerDont » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:27 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
fleet wrote:that Tatis kid must have been good to get the Padres to pay all that Shields salary


A lot also had to do with San Diego's ownership group already hitting the panic button. The winter of 2015, they spent a ton of money on high priced free agents and made quite a few trades, only to still be bad. A.J. Preller (Padres' GM) is working for one of the most hands on owners in sports, who lately, has been pretty short fused on things. He called out the team, and Shields by name, last week. So you kinda had a feeling something was coming. Ron Fowler, also basically said nothing of beyond when Preller's deal expires in 2018. It's a mess down there. No matter what they've done, they can't get out of the basement. They have a beautiful park, but it's not being filled. It's almost like the Marlins, except they're a very bad team. With Shields, they were willing to eat money if it meant he was gone. It was never a good signing for them, but they were, as usual, under pressure to add names.

But yes, Tatis is becoming a more touted prospect, and probably the best one the White Sox made available (Tim Anderson & Carson Fullmer, etc. are virtually untouchable unless it was a megastar coming back in a deal), but as said before, he is primarily a SS and the Sox have that locked up when they eventually decide to call up Tim Anderson. But you can't get a straight answer on that time table. And they have said no matter how bad Jimmy Rollins & Tyler Saladino get, that won't speed up Anderson's time table to get to the big (which is not new for the Sox or most teams, they've said the same about Fullmer).

They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
User avatar
RememberLu
RealGM
Posts: 11,114
And1: 5,216
Joined: Feb 22, 2014

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#51 » by RememberLu » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:35 pm

They're making some changes at least but it all feels very futile
ADDinChicago
Analyst
Posts: 3,352
And1: 757
Joined: Dec 30, 2013

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#52 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:35 pm

Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
fleet wrote:that Tatis kid must have been good to get the Padres to pay all that Shields salary


A lot also had to do with San Diego's ownership group already hitting the panic button. The winter of 2015, they spent a ton of money on high priced free agents and made quite a few trades, only to still be bad. A.J. Preller (Padres' GM) is working for one of the most hands on owners in sports, who lately, has been pretty short fused on things. He called out the team, and Shields by name, last week. So you kinda had a feeling something was coming. Ron Fowler, also basically said nothing of beyond when Preller's deal expires in 2018. It's a mess down there. No matter what they've done, they can't get out of the basement. They have a beautiful park, but it's not being filled. It's almost like the Marlins, except they're a very bad team. With Shields, they were willing to eat money if it meant he was gone. It was never a good signing for them, but they were, as usual, under pressure to add names.

But yes, Tatis is becoming a more touted prospect, and probably the best one the White Sox made available (Tim Anderson & Carson Fullmer, etc. are virtually untouchable unless it was a megastar coming back in a deal), but as said before, he is primarily a SS and the Sox have that locked up when they eventually decide to call up Tim Anderson. But you can't get a straight answer on that time table. And they have said no matter how bad Jimmy Rollins & Tyler Saladino get, that won't speed up Anderson's time table to get to the big (which is not new for the Sox or most teams, they've said the same about Fullmer).

They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).


I saw that. Perhaps Hahn was just giving the "usual speech" when talking about Anderson the other day. Or it could just be Rollins is done and they have nothing to lose by bringing up Anderson.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
Posts: 3,352
And1: 757
Joined: Dec 30, 2013

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#53 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:37 pm

RememberLu wrote:They're making some changes at least but it all feels very futile


Nothing is a "fix", and there isn't one available. They're in a tough place, but they've done it to themselves by not building up their minor leagues. They've drafted pitching well, but haven't done squat with position players (hopefully Anderson is the exception).

It's going to take bringing in a real baseball manager in the offseason and making more player moves to get things started, and drafting well as well.
User avatar
Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,693
And1: 338
Joined: Jun 06, 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
       

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#54 » by Wont PerDont » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:35 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
A lot also had to do with San Diego's ownership group already hitting the panic button. The winter of 2015, they spent a ton of money on high priced free agents and made quite a few trades, only to still be bad. A.J. Preller (Padres' GM) is working for one of the most hands on owners in sports, who lately, has been pretty short fused on things. He called out the team, and Shields by name, last week. So you kinda had a feeling something was coming. Ron Fowler, also basically said nothing of beyond when Preller's deal expires in 2018. It's a mess down there. No matter what they've done, they can't get out of the basement. They have a beautiful park, but it's not being filled. It's almost like the Marlins, except they're a very bad team. With Shields, they were willing to eat money if it meant he was gone. It was never a good signing for them, but they were, as usual, under pressure to add names.

But yes, Tatis is becoming a more touted prospect, and probably the best one the White Sox made available (Tim Anderson & Carson Fullmer, etc. are virtually untouchable unless it was a megastar coming back in a deal), but as said before, he is primarily a SS and the Sox have that locked up when they eventually decide to call up Tim Anderson. But you can't get a straight answer on that time table. And they have said no matter how bad Jimmy Rollins & Tyler Saladino get, that won't speed up Anderson's time table to get to the big (which is not new for the Sox or most teams, they've said the same about Fullmer).

They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).


I saw that. Perhaps Hahn was just giving the "usual speech" when talking about Anderson the other day. Or it could just be Rollins is done and they have nothing to lose by bringing up Anderson.

Wasn't calling you out, brother. Just think it's funny how FO spin goes from "nothing is going to rush his development..." to a pre-break call up after you DFA your veteran starters corpse when you lose 20 of 25.
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
User avatar
madvillian
General Manager
Posts: 9,266
And1: 1,316
Joined: Dec 23, 2004
Location: Brooklyn

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#55 » by madvillian » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:20 am

double and run scored for Tim Anderson in his first AB of his career. Kid is going to being some excitement at least.
Loul Deng wrote:
" Defensively we played great, offensively we had Derrick Rose "


Deng says it all post Rose career high 44 in win over Hawks 5/6/11
User avatar
Dominater
Head Coach
Posts: 6,220
And1: 2,974
Joined: Jan 16, 2005
Location: Cuba

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#56 » by Dominater » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:20 am

Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).


I saw that. Perhaps Hahn was just giving the "usual speech" when talking about Anderson the other day. Or it could just be Rollins is done and they have nothing to lose by bringing up Anderson.

Wasn't calling you out, brother. Just think it's funny how FO spin goes from "nothing is going to rush his development..." to a pre-break call up after you DFA your veteran starters corpse when you lose 20 of 25.

Very true, but I'm glad that they at least realized hes done now and quickly went out with the old and in with the new. That has to count for something
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
User avatar
RedBulls83
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 28,785
And1: 11,486
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Waiting in Grant Park
       

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#57 » by RedBulls83 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:07 am

I think the smart thing to do is if Ventura won't stop playing bad players, then get rid of them.

I'm happy with the moves that Hahn made today.

Hopefully in the off-season they can get rid of Ventura. Still got to hold out hope on that.
Straight Buckets!

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/NinetiesDynasty
ADDinChicago
Analyst
Posts: 3,352
And1: 757
Joined: Dec 30, 2013

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#58 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:06 pm

Wont PerDont wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:They just called up Anderson (designated Rollins for assignment).


I saw that. Perhaps Hahn was just giving the "usual speech" when talking about Anderson the other day. Or it could just be Rollins is done and they have nothing to lose by bringing up Anderson.

Wasn't calling you out, brother. Just think it's funny how FO spin goes from "nothing is going to rush his development..." to a pre-break call up after you DFA your veteran starters corpse when you lose 20 of 25.


Oh no, I completely agree. But maybe in the last day or so they went "**** it, Rollins sucks" and decided to throw Anderson into the fire.

And they signed Justin Morneau?! That reeks of Kenny Williams. Sign a guy 5 years past his prime and coming off elbow surgery to stick on the DL. One step forward, two steps back. I just don't get their FO hierarchy sometimes. Like last season when they asked KW how Hahn was doing and he said he's still hands on. Head scratching.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
Posts: 3,352
And1: 757
Joined: Dec 30, 2013

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#59 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:12 pm

RedBulls83 wrote:I think the smart thing to do is if Ventura won't stop playing bad players, then get rid of them.

I'm happy with the moves that Hahn made today.

Hopefully in the off-season they can get rid of Ventura. Still got to hold out hope on that.


Barring a miracle for the team's play, Ventura's gone in the off season. They're just not going to fire him with an expiring deal (He may step down when it gets really bad and Ricky Renteria manages the rest of the season). He'll be "re-assigned" in the organization when his deal isn't extended. JR and Kenny love him. Start lining up the names that are always going to be thrown out there: Ozzie, Ron Gardenhire, Terry Francona (if he decides to leave Cleveland), etc.

As for the guys Ventura wouldn't stop playing, what's he supposed to do? Especially at SS. It was Rollins or Saladino. Neither that is good or an everyday player. But that's what he was given to start the year at certain positions. No SS and no backup OFs worth anything. Now Austin Jackson goes on the DL for likely 6-8 weeks. They better have something in the cards more than Jerry Sands (and yes, I know they brought Coats back up).

And for about 18 hours, they had 2 former MVPs on the roster before Rollins was DFA'd. Kenny Williams probably had a party for himself thinking it was 2008.
User avatar
RedBulls83
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
Posts: 28,785
And1: 11,486
Joined: Jan 19, 2009
Location: Waiting in Grant Park
       

Re: The Chicago White Sox Thread: Baseball season 

Post#60 » by RedBulls83 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:17 pm

Saladino is much better than Rollins, so he should have gone with him.
Straight Buckets!

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/NinetiesDynasty

Return to Chicago Bulls