Image ImageImage Image

Rose to Knicks Part II

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

D_GoLow
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,243

Re: rose to knicks part II 

Post#381 » by D_GoLow » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:42 pm

dice wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmMLf-xIPCA[/youtube]

i'd have a different #1. points subtracted for not calling bank

the dunk is actually the memorable one for me

His expression after the shot should be number one.

For me,I know I might get crucified for this but I think his dunk on Dragic is somewhat overrated. I'm fully aware that his elevation on that was sick along with the double pumped and all but he dunked on him from the side.

Taj's dunk on DWade in the ECF was better and obviously Jordan's dunk on Ewing (not to mention Muttombo/Mourning) or Pippen on Ewing.

His dunk doesn't make top 3 as far as best posters put by Chicago Bulls players but as far as his best moments I would put at 3 or 4.

We're talking Goran Dragic....
This is not a moment, it's a movement
D_GoLow
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,243

Post#382 » by D_GoLow » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:44 pm

D_GoLow wrote:
dice wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmMLf-xIPCA[/youtube]

For me,I know I might get crucified for this but I think his dunk on Dragic is somewhat overrated. I'm fully aware that his elevation on that was sick along with the double pumped and all but he dunked on him from the side.

Taj's dunk on DWade in the ECF was better and obviously Jordan's dunk on Ewing (not to mention Muttombo/Mourning) or Pippen on Ewing.

His dunk doesn't make top 3 as far as best posters put by Chicago Bulls players but as far as his best moments I would put at 3 or 4.

One of my favorite memories of him was from his rookie year in the playoffs against Boston. His performance he put on in game 1 was more than amazing and his block on Rondo in game 6 to win the game has also been overlooked.
This is not a moment, it's a movement
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Post#383 » by dice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:49 pm

D_GoLow wrote:
dice wrote:

it's as if he called bank

doesn't have to be over somebody to be a great moment. but yeah, of course the taj and MJ dunks were better
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#384 » by dice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:12 pm

umfan83 wrote:
captvict wrote:Knick fan here. I can't believe a high percentage of members here bashing this kid. I have been perusing this board for years.
I remember with the first injury when they carried him off the court you were following his rehab on a day to day basis counting the days to his return with hopeful enthusiasm
I've admired the kid since day one now it seems like you threw him out with the dishwater

To understand it you would have had to have been a Bulls fan following the team on a day to day basis over the last 4 years. There are a lot of nuisances to the relationship between himself and Bulls fans that were not national news. TBH I cannot even really explain it fully, but this was not an overnight thing. 60% of me has been anti-Rose for awhile now, while the other 40% of me feels relieved that he is traded so the deterioration of Rose's image can stop and we can save some semblance of fond memories for when Rose was the quiet humble kid that let his play do the talking. Obviously being a superstar and an MVP will allow most fans to ignore any potential cracks in the surface of one's personality/character, but honestly there wasn't a lot of those pre-ACL injury. It was only after the injury that we started to hear things about Reggie Rose, whispers about needing to play with better players, internal clashes with the FO, interesting comments in the media. There were some fans that jumped off then when they were frustrated that he sat out the entire season, but most were still solidly in Rose's camp. But his actions and words continued to be agitating to a fan base that just wanted him to be the young humble star again, but he had changed and we had changed, and slowly Rose's path diverged from our own.

to add context, he was cleared to play in early march, 2013. i distinctly remember thibs being asked the day of a game in sacramento (march 13) whether derrick would be playing that night. he said he didn't know

Spoiler:
derrick didn't suit up
from that point forward it was a constant game of cat and mouse

Spoiler:
how far in advance of the playoffs does he need to come back? will he get any time in before the playoffs? wait, is he coming back at all?! it wasn't until two freaking months after he was cleared and medically advised to play that he finally said he wasn't going to return that season. that was heading into the second round of the playoffs. need a refresher?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/9279761/2013-nba-playoffs-official-derrick-rose-return-was-hoax
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22rose+has+been+cleared+to+play%22+2013
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#385 » by dice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 pm

Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#386 » by Benedict Miller » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:33 pm

dice wrote:
D_GoLow wrote:
dice wrote:i'd have a different #1. points subtracted for not calling bank

doesn't have to be over somebody to be a great moment. but yeah, of course the taj and MJ dunks were better

The dunk over Joel Anthony's one of my personal favorite. How he split the double team was impressive enough as it was.
dice
RealGM

Post#387 » by dice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:
dice wrote:
D_GoLow wrote:

The dunk over Joel Anthony's one of my personal favorite. How he split the double team was impressive enough as it was.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqPn_LUcpwE[/youtube]
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#388 » by umfan83 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:56 pm

dice wrote:
umfan83 wrote:
captvict wrote:Knick fan here. I can't believe a high percentage of members here bashing this kid. I have been perusing this board for years.
I remember with the first injury when they carried him off the court you were following his rehab on a day to day basis counting the days to his return with hopeful enthusiasm
I've admired the kid since day one now it seems like you threw him out with the dishwater

To understand it you would have had to have been a Bulls fan following the team on a day to day basis over the last 4 years. There are a lot of nuisances to the relationship between himself and Bulls fans that were not national news. TBH I cannot even really explain it fully, but this was not an overnight thing. 60% of me has been anti-Rose for awhile now, while the other 40% of me feels relieved that he is traded so the deterioration of Rose's image can stop and we can save some semblance of fond memories for when Rose was the quiet humble kid that let his play do the talking. Obviously being a superstar and an MVP will allow most fans to ignore any potential cracks in the surface of one's personality/character, but honestly there wasn't a lot of those pre-ACL injury. It was only after the injury that we started to hear things about Reggie Rose, whispers about needing to play with better players, internal clashes with the FO, interesting comments in the media. There were some fans that jumped off then when they were frustrated that he sat out the entire season, but most were still solidly in Rose's camp. But his actions and words continued to be agitating to a fan base that just wanted him to be the young humble star again, but he had changed and we had changed, and slowly Rose's path diverged from our own.

to add context, he was cleared to play in early march, 2013. i distinctly remember thibs being asked the day of a game in sacramento (march 13) whether derrick would be playing that night. he said he didn't know

Spoiler:
derrick didn't suit up
from that point forward it was a constant game of cat and mouse

Spoiler:
how far in advance of the playoffs does he need to come back? will he get any time in before the playoffs? wait, is he coming back at all?! it wasn't until two freaking months after he was cleared and medically advised to play that he finally said he wasn't going to return that season. that was heading into the second round of the playoffs. need a refresher?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/9279761/2013-nba-playoffs-official-derrick-rose-return-was-hoax
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=%22rose+has+been+cleared+to+play%22+2013

Wasn't there a rumor where players and management expected Rose to come back if the Bulls won the Nets series to play the heat?
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,061

Post#389 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:00 pm

D_GoLow wrote:
dice wrote:

Lmao pure hate and nonsense.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#390 » by DuckIII » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:03 pm

umfan83 wrote:Wasn't there a rumor where players and management expected Rose to come back if the Bulls won the Nets series to play the heat?

Ryen Russillo reported on the radio years later that the players all believed Rose was going to return for the playoffs period, and that there was a lot of shock and tension when he didn't. Reject it or don't, but Russillo is plugged in with NBA players and GMs both.

Also, and I can't remember which CSN guy it was, but it was reported later that BJ informed Pax in February, even before Rose was medically cleared, that he was going to take the entire season off. Also, if you really want to get mad, go back and read that ridiculous interview he gave to USA Today even though he wasn't talking to anyone else at all.

Yuck. The whole thing just sucked. I hoped so badly that he'd learn from it and come back a different guy, but he didn't. At least not yet he hasn't.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dice
RealGM

Post#391 » by dice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:14 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:
D_GoLow wrote:
dice wrote:i'd have a different #1. points subtracted for not calling bank

Lmao pure hate and nonsense.

damn you're defensive
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#392 » by keloms » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:03 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/manugoat/status/747523050225143809[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Dame_Lillard/status/747523306601930752[/tweet]
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Post#393 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:04 am

keloms wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/manugoat/status/747523050225143809[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Dame_Lillard/status/747523306601930752[/tweet]

Meh, Adidas is paying him to say that.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#394 » by Rerisen » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:05 am

HomoSapien wrote:Meh, Adidas is paying him to say that.

And Rose was his idol, no surprise.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Post#395 » by HomoSapien » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:10 am

DuckIII wrote:
umfan83 wrote:Wasn't there a rumor where players and management expected Rose to come back if the Bulls won the Nets series to play the heat?

Ryen Russillo reported on the radio years later that the players all believed Rose was going to return for the playoffs period, and that there was a lot of shock and tension when he didn't. Reject it or don't, but Russillo is plugged in with NBA players and GMs both.

Also, and I can't remember which CSN guy it was, but it was reported later that BJ informed Pax in February, even before Rose was medically cleared, that he was going to take the entire season off. Also, if you really want to get mad, go back and read that ridiculous interview he gave to USA Today even though he wasn't talking to anyone else at all.

Yuck. The whole thing just sucked. I hoped so badly that he'd learn from it and come back a different guy, but he didn't. At least not yet he hasn't.

Not to mention Reggie Rose hinted at it due to displeasure with the roster, and then it played out exactly how he hinted.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#396 » by molepharmer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Ben wrote:

I don't understand this post. Rather than following this board for years, it seems as if you read it back in 2011-12 and then came back recently. Sure, all of us were following Rose's rehab on a day to day basis back in 2012, counting the days to his return with hopeful enthusiasm. And counting. And counting. And the enthusiasm started to wane. Still counting. Waning some more. Still counting down the entire 2012-13 season, past the time when any and all experts had forecast his return, far past the time when the team itself had projected him back... still no Derrick. The entire 2012-13 season, lost.

But hey, there's always 2013-14, right? We wait during the 2013 summer, waiting for Derrick to rehab and play at a high level, and some reports suggest that he's doing OK. His shot looked flat to me in gym workouts, but many of us maintained hopeful enthusiasm. 10 games into the 2013 season... knee injury yet again. Season shot. Maybe another player would have come back sooner, but Derrick tells us that he's thinking about his ability to walk at his son's graduation. (That actual quote came the next year, in November of 2014, although in hindsight it seems as if the same mentality held the year before.) He sits it all out, pocketing $17.6M along the way.

2014-15: Derrick's back. His efficiency isn't, as he can't crack 50% True Shooting. But we Derrick fans still love him, and wish him the best every day. When you love a player, you love a player. In late February, though, he goes down yet again. Misses 6 weeks. Come back too late, with too little, to help us salvage the playoffs against a vulnerable Cleveland team. Personally, I still love the guy, and he shows me some of what he used to have in a few vintage performances. But it's not enough.

2015-16: Are you kidding me? A preseason preorbital bone fracture? More time missed? Oh well. Derrick still plays most of the season. Problem is, his performance is now mediocre. He starts off just terribly, and although he starts cooking later in the year, he's inconsistent-- except insofar as he logs (for the 3rd straight season) a sub-50% True Shooting.

3.5 great seasons. 1 entirely missed season. Then 3 mediocre seasons (OK, one sub-mediocre season thrown into that mix.) And you think that we threw Derrick Rose out with the bathwater? A guy who last shot > 50% for True Shooting more than FOUR seasons ago, all while making $60M over that period? And we simply threw him out?

I loved Derrick Rose, and part of me will always love him b/c I'm a sentimental guy, but please do get out of here with that turned-on-him schtick. If he plays like an all-star for the Knicks, good for Derrick and good for you. Regardless, if you sign him to a big, long-term contract after that, shame on you.

Cheers.

And this was the cliff notes version. Remember we actually lived with it the past 3-4 years. Ben was kind enough to leave out quite a bit of garbage, probably to simplify and not make it seem like an attack piece.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
islanders11040
Head Coach
And1: 6,928

Post#397 » by islanders11040 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:02 pm

Hey bulls fans. Knicks fan here. I've been watching some of rose games from last year and made a quick scouting report. What do you guys think? What do you agree with or disagree with?

Offense:

-Doesnt overly pound the rock. He either passes it to some else or drives and kicks, drives and lays it up, and drives and pull ups.
-Does this all with good pace. Not playing against the shot clock.
-Not great off ball in terms of backdoor cuts. Though he does come running straight down the free throw line when others are driving for potential dump offs occasionally.
-Wasnt really passed to on set perimeter jumpers. Not a strength. (having a backcourt mate who is a good shooter will be helpful)
-Pushes the ball in transition
-Can get good shots at the rim at will. Not always the most comfortable at trusting himself to jump full force at the rim which led to some layups rolling out. Hope is he will be more comfortable another year removed from knee injuries
-VERY quick still though the explosiveness is inconsistent (waaaaayyyy more explosive than anything we ever had recently and 90% if the NBA)
-Good pick and pop/roll player. Maybe passes it back to the open pop guy(gasol) a little less then he should. Does this since any space created from a pick is enough for him to get a decent shot off at the rim, no matter how small the space is. Though he should pass it to the completely open guy more.

Defense

-Not great pick and roll defender. Doesnt always make the right decision to go over or under the screen.
-Not always in defensive stance and is a bit upright. Leads to trailing his man on his hip and needing help defense.
-When locked in and down in stance, showed great lateral quickness but was inconsistent in this aspect.
-Doesn't get lost on defense. Will be in his mans general space
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#398 » by Rerisen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:23 am

Friedell ESPN

Butler on if he was shocked to hear about the Rose deal: "A little bit. A little bit of a shock. But if you pay attention to what was going on, you would have [thought] it was bound to happen. I didn't expect that but it's here upon us now."

Hmm
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#399 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:36 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bycycle/status/747460828560035840[/tweet]
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#400 » by Rerisen » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:43 am

islanders11040 wrote:Hey bulls fans. Knicks fan here. I've been watching some of rose games from last year and made a quick scouting report. What do you guys think? What do you agree with or disagree with?

For an iso player Rose doesn't pound the ball that much, no. But last year was a departure where he seemed more interested in his own scoring that ever before, didn't have very good team awareness.

Pace... he didn't play with nearly the pace the coach wanted and also didn't push it in transition - except - when he has an advantage, then Rose is a 1 man fastbreak. But after made baskets and generally bringing it up vs prepared defense, he's in no hurry.

Rose is a decent spot up shooter, not so good on pull ups. Though used to have a excellent mid-range at one point.

Getting to the rim is not a problem for him, finishing nowadays, bigger trouble than it used to be.

PnR- Rose is somewhat mechanical almost seeming to be pre-decide if he is going for his own score or passing it back regardless of what the defense does.

Defense - PnR is definitely his weak suit, as well as off ball. Man to man, he's usually fine and can still step it up above average if he's actually interested in playing defense that night (usually vs top PGs).

Return to Chicago Bulls