Image ImageImage Image

Goodwill: Bulls have interest in Jahlil Okafor

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Re: Goodwill: Bulls have interest in Jahlil Okafor 

Post#1441 » by sco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:57 pm

League Circles wrote:
sco wrote:
League Circles wrote:These are reasonable points, however....

You say only 3 teams in playoff race have below average centers. There are 16 playoff teams and any C not in the top 15 is below average by definition. So essentially you are claiming that only 2 non playoff teams have above average defensive Cs. Is that true? Off the top of my head:

Biyombo
Embiid/Noel
Noah
Whiteside
Ezeli
Bogut
Omer
KAT
Chandler

I haven't been following the league much this year so I may be wrong but I've got to think quitr a number of these guys are above average on D, making quite a few more than 3 of the playoff Cs below average on D. I know it's a little dicey cause not all these guys have been consistent starters all year. But it kinda seems like distribution of above average defense Cs might be somewhat random among the top and bottom half of the teams in the league.

And, importantly, Okafor doesn't have to be our starter and in fact I'd start him out on the bench behind Felicio and have them battle for minutes.

I regret the use of the "below-average" because it becomes a relative measure. There are probably more than 16 good defensive centers in the league. If I used the word "bad" defensive C, does it help?

No that doesn't really help IMO cause relative measures are all that really matter IMO. I don't think it's at all far fetched that Okafor can develop into a slightly below average defensive C, or that he can just help us from the bench more than Doug and a late, likely worthless pick can help us.

Ok, so we'll disagree on the whole definitional thing on defensive C. I have no problem getting him as our future back-up C and using him like OKC used Kanter.
:clap:
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#1442 » by JeremyB0001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:57 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:For the people who are opposed to trading for Okafor...

...I'd like to know who you'd target instead.

That'll tell me a lot.

Draft picks, three-and-D wings players, bigs who can protect the rim, stretch or playmaking big men. The only type of player I don't want is additional wings or points guards who can't shoot (like Grant, MCW, Rondo, etc.) or who can't defend (like Valentine and McDermott) or big men who can neither defend nor have an offensive presence outside the paint (like Okafor).
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#1443 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:

That'll tell me a lot.

Draft picks, three-and-D wings players, bigs who can protect the rim, stretch or playmaking big men. The only type of player I don't want is additional wings or points guards who can't shoot (like Grant, MCW, Rondo, etc.) or who can't defend (like Valentine and McDermott) or big men who can neither defend nor have an offensive presence outside the paint (like Okafor).

Just FYI he was looking for actual names of real players. We all want the desirable types of players. The disconnect is that when you start talking about real players with names, their unavailability and/or real flaws start becoming a lot more apparent IMO.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1444 » by TheStig » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:01 pm

ryannik09 wrote:Maybe the Bulls aren't interested in Okafor?

https://theringer.com/pressing-eastern-conference-questions-36897397d17#.p8ku981gz

The shelving of Okafor was likely meant to flush out the best offers around the league, sources speculate. It’s not uncommon for teams to use leaks to stir interest. The Nuggets and Blazers weren’t pursuing Okafor. The Bulls likely aren’t either. No one is buying what Bryan Colangelo is selling: a one-dimensional center who can’t defend, rebound, or pass on a roster loaded with big men.

I think the 76ers are pressing for a pick. If they did Doug or Valentine for JO, it would have already been done. I don't think he's worth a pick unless its a very late 1st. Philly has destroyed his value.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#1445 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:13 pm

Nucky Thompson wrote:

That'll tell me a lot.

This post really makes no sense at all.

Is there a comprehension barrier on your part? I'd be happy to clear anything up for you.

Who would you target instead? Seems quite direct and well-placed.
JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Post#1446 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:18 pm

JeremyB0001 wrote:

That'll tell me a lot.

Draft picks is a passable answer.

...but the description of a player doesn't help. Like...I'm wondering WHO?...Are those players even available?

It'll put things into perspective for fans.
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#1447 » by Ctownbulls » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Trade fell through. Assuming they weren't willing to give up Lopez and a pick.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#1448 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:Trade fell through. Assuming they weren't willing to give up Lopez and a pick.

Is this inside info or are you paraphrasing a source?
Ctownbulls
RealGM

Post#1449 » by Ctownbulls » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:23 pm

League Circles wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:Trade fell through. Assuming they weren't willing to give up Lopez and a pick.

Lopez + pick is only deal that makes sense.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#1450 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
League Circles wrote:

There have been a lot of specific rumors reported by insiders here. None of them have had Lopez going to Philly. It's generally all been either Doug or Valentine plus a first round pick for Okafor. Lopez, Taj, and probably Niko have been shopped to other teams to try to get that pick to send Philly, as the Bulls don't want to trade their own and end up entirely out of the 207 draft.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#1451 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:26 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
League Circles wrote:

But nonetheless, why do you say the trade fell through? Inside info or paraphrasing something you read?
Ctownbulls
RealGM

Post#1452 » by Ctownbulls » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

League Circles wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:
League Circles wrote:Is this inside info or are you paraphrasing a source?

But nonetheless, why do you say the trade fell through? Inside info or paraphrasing something you read?

RealGM just reported that he has rejoined the team as trades failed to materialize.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#1453 » by JeremyB0001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:
JeremyB0001 wrote:

That'll tell me a lot.

Draft picks is a passable answer.

...but the description of a player doesn't help. Like...I'm wondering WHO?...Are those players even available?

It'll put things into perspective for fans.

I imagine I could find more if I scoured the league and researched all the young players out there but a few might be: Scal Labissiere; Willie Cauley-Stein; Juan Hernangomez; Frank Kaminsky; Deyonta Davis; Jakob Poeltl; Wade Baldwin; Henry Ellenson. This is only a list of players that the Bulls might acquire for moderate assets like McDermott, Valentine, Gibson, or Lopez, as opposed to the big fish they could land for a player like Butler.

Edit: And especially in the event that the Bulls don't view Valentine as a point guard or don't have him in their future plans, I would also target point guards who can shoot but can't defend, such as Tyler Ullis and Tyus Jones.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#1454 » by sco » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:37 pm

I hope the sticking point was that we wouldn't include a pick.

I wonder if Okafor is off market, if a Noel deal is possible? I know he's an RFA, but he'd be worth a pick.
:clap:
MisterRoy
Veteran
And1: 1,001

Post#1455 » by MisterRoy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:45 pm

sco wrote:I hope the sticking point was that we wouldn't include a pick.

I wonder if Okafor is off market, if a Noel deal is possible? I know he's an RFA, but he'd be worth a pick.

I think the problem is that we could not acquire an additional 1st rd pick for the trade. Bulls dont want to not have a first rd pick in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tiffac
Starter
And1: 699

Post#1456 » by tiffac » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Philly must be asking for a 1st round pick for Okafor and no one budged.
Manners Maketh Man
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#1457 » by Proven_Winner » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:03 pm

Philly is pushing their luck right now. They don't play JO enough to raise his value so it'll only get worse from here. If teams like us won't give up a 1st then the offers will only get worse in the summer.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#1458 » by League Circles » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
League Circles wrote:
Ctownbulls wrote:

RealGM just reported that he has rejoined the team as trades failed to materialize.

IMO that is just Philly trying to bluff and force the hand of a CHI or NO team to make their best offer, acting like they're gonna keep him. There is no logical reason why they would give up on the idea of trading him until the deadline IMO.
Bulls03
General Manager
And1: 1,825

Post#1459 » by Bulls03 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 pm

I read Pelicans were the only team in the hunt for Okafor and we weren't even mentioned. Just colangelo trying to get more out of the Pelicans I guess.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#1460 » by Axxo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:10 pm

POR is still in the race. Getting the pick along with Nurkic only increased their chances of having an asset to deal.

Return to Chicago Bulls