Image ImageImage Image

Rank the Bulls head coaches

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Re: Rank the Bulls head coaches 

Post#41 » by Mech Engineer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:23 pm

All I want from the Bulls is to go back and hire assistant coaches in the NBA....let those college coaches come in as assistants first before you hire them. Don't get sucked into big names in college because they get more publicity as college head coaches. If Fred had been an offensive assistant in some NBA team like Thibs was, you have a fair idea to evaluate.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#42 » by Leslie Forman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:26 pm

DuckIII wrote:Floyd and Cartwright weren't hired by this management group.

Its Skiles, Vinny, Thibs, and Hoiberg.

Thibs really wasn't either. If it had been up to GarPax it would've been a retread like Maurice Cheeks or something.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#43 » by stilldropin20 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:08 pm

League Circles wrote:
stilldropin20 wrote:1. skiles
2. thibs

come on! thibs had twice the talent skiles had!! rookies and 2nd year players blossomed under skiles! he lost the team cuz wallace was a bad signing and well thats what he does. he's a quick fix kind of guy. gives you 2-3 good/great years and its time to move on.

id argue that the skiles/paxson era was our best era by far in terms of mgmt and coaching picking and developing players. Thibs was gifted a 3rd year MVP candidate, a polished Noah, polished Deng, polished Hinrich, and a peak and polished Ben Gordon. this was all here and essentially developed by skiles, save rose. and skiles tank job gave us rose. Skiles knew that team peaked.

its just too bad skiles doesn't have the temperment to be a lifer like popovich or Sloan. Cuz the man can coach em up!

we'll see what thibs can do in minny. he's already got one future "star" with an acl tear. and another thats not better than his rookie year in Towns. even though Thibs was gifted a talented roster they are 22-35. Skiles immediately improved everyone everywhere he is gone. thibs burns out his players and his front office. skiles burns out himself. both have flaws. give me skiles to coach the guys i draft 8 days a week.

Umm, Thibbs never coached Ben Gordon and only coached Kirk after he was older and not good when he cane back for the 12-13 season. I'd also argue Thibbs did a lot to turn Rose into the MVP candidate. He also won a lot more games and playoff ganes than Skiles. And it was more a Boylan tank job in 07-08 than a Skiles one.

correct fuzzy memory on gordon when i wrote that. but by doing a lot for rose to turn him into an MVP, do you mean letting him run pick and roll with noah/taj/asik 40 times per game? To the tune of the most predictable offense ever seen in an ECF? Where once we faced a a good defense that chicken salad looked like chicken shxt again? and tore up his knees? A good coach knows to protect his assets over 5-10 regular season wins. those were 52-55 win teams, max. and thibs squeezed 60 plus wins out of them by over emphasizing the res season, over playing, and over exerting his players. we never even saw what they could do cuz the coach ruined the 2 best guys in rose and noah. this is a huge resp of a coach. no different than not burning out like Collins and Skiles do. this is a huge reason why pops is likely the greatest coach of all time. pops is part of drafting the greatest "steals" in th edraft. Pops is the MAIN reason why they recruit well. Pops helps in scouting. Pops actually develops his guys since he's so hands on in picking them. Then pops goes out and wins games. and championships. and preserves his guys along the way the to get them to the finish line. Phil JAx never did any of those things. he just had the best horses by far and got them to play with each other to win (no small feat). but still. Like phil, thibs only punched a couple of those tabs. skiles punched more than thibs imo.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#44 » by dougthonus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Thibs
Skiles
Hoiberg
Floyd
VDN

I don't count Boylan because he didn't coach long and inherited a mess. I think he's likely awful, but there's nothing in his tenure that is meaningful enough to comment on.

Thibodeau and Skiles were both good. Their teams seemed to outperform their talent level frequently. Thibs gets the nods for getting the Bulls a bit further, lasting longer, and for not flaming out and quitting. However, Skiles 04/05 season still rivals anything Thibodeau did in my mind, but the body of work is lacking for Skiles.

Skiles made Kirk Hinrich, Eddy Curry, Ben Gordon, Chris Duhon, and Andres Nocioni look like good NBA players. There's no one that left Skiles that became better except perhaps Tyson Chandler (who looked as good under Skiles year 1 but wilted year 2). Most guys Skiles coached look much better under him than anyone else though.

Comparing that to Thibodeau, he clearly misused Kyle Korver whom immediately looked much better upon leaving when used exactly how everyone here wanted Thibs to use him. Jimmy Butler really broke out after Thibodeau was gone. Depending on your view his overuse of guys also may have ruined the Bulls chances of a championship by causing Derrick's career defining injury (I probably wouldn't go that far, but the case can be made). Still, he got much more out of Rose than VDN did one year earlier, how he used Noah when Rose was out was amazing, and how he could get a lot out of guys like Nate Robinson was great.

There is no perfect coach really, even Greg Popovich probably lost his team a championship by pulling Tim Duncan on a defensive position. However, there is no doubt that Thibodeau and Skiles both did very good jobs while here.

Hoiberg gets a neutral in my mind. His rosters have had some talent but so many personal issues and terrible fits for each other. His teams have performed about what I would expect. I can't say there's anything he's really bringing to the table, and I haven't watched the Bulls in depth while he is there, but I don't think he's hurting them either.

Floyd was terrible and I could easily swap him with VDN, but he was handed a roster intended to lose most of the time, so what else did you expect? Even so, there was nothing at all he did that could be even viewed as even a mild positive.

VDN struck me as the dumbest coach I ever interviewed, and the inside scoop from players I talked to was that he was the least respected coach they ever had. I think he actually had some decent talent and didn't get much out of it. His teams performed worse than I expected.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#45 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:42 pm

SpinninHouse wrote:
waffle wrote:Vinny HAS to go last. He was the single worst coach in any sport at any time that I have ever seen, read about or imagined.

LOL. Can't believe he got another job with the Clips.

Where he did as well or better than Doc Rivers. He won 56 games after inheriting a 29-53 team. Under Vinnie they improved each season. When with the Bulls the FO gave up the season and tried to tank it and that VDN team had an incredible run after the ASB and made the playoffs despite the FO giving up and Vinnie getting choked by his boss. His teams always played hard and actually looked like they practiced and did drills which is more than I can say about this last couple seasons.

IDK, I'm a results oriented guy and VDN's results are so much better than a lot of guys ranked ahead of him. Sure, he was a terrible interview and not good in pressers, but I'll take the effort, fight and discipline in those VDN teams over what we have now.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#46 » by SpinninHouse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:50 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
waffle wrote:Vinny HAS to go last. He was the single worst coach in any sport at any time that I have ever seen, read about or imagined.

Where he did as well or better than Doc Rivers. He won 56 games after inheriting a 29-53 team. Under Vinnie they improved each season. When with the Bulls the FO gave up the season and tried to tank it and that VDN team had an incredible run after the ASB and made the playoffs despite the FO giving up and Vinnie getting choked by his boss. His teams always played hard and actually looked like they practiced and did drills which is more than I can say about this last couple seasons.

IDK, I'm a results oriented guy and VDN's results are so much better than a lot of guys ranked ahead of him. Sure, he was a terrible interview and not good in pressers, but I'll take the effort, fight and discipline in those VDN teams over what we have now.

"D-Rose at the end of the game, Vinne." - Silvy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#47 » by TheStig » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:51 pm

I don't know how Hoiberg outranks VDN. Both are pretty incompetent but at least the guys played hard for VDN and made the playoffs. I think the VDN Bulls team's were less talented than the team Hoiberg took over. Hoiberg's team just tuned him out and blew up in spectacular fashion. Even this year with a lot of changes there is a lot of drama. #1 job for a coach is to get guys on the same page and playing hard. Hoiberg can't do that at all.

Thibs
Skiles
VDN
Hoiberg and Floyd---- Both suck and should go back to Iowa and take Gar with him.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#48 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:06 pm

TheStig wrote:I don't know how Hoiberg outranks VDN. Both are pretty incompetent but at least the guys played hard for VDN and made the playoffs. I think the VDN Bulls team's were less talented than the team Hoiberg took over. Hoiberg's team just tuned him out and blew up in spectacular fashion. Even this year with a lot of changes there is a lot of drama. #1 job for a coach is to get guys on the same page and playing hard. Hoiberg can't do that at all.

Thibs
Skiles
VDN
Hoiberg and Floyd---- Both suck and should go back to Iowa and take Gar with him.

I enjoyed and looked forward to every Bulls game and I actually really liked the team. Haven't felt that way the last couple of seasons... hell, I miss games now and don't even care. I liked the way those teams played. Left it all on the floor.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#49 » by TheStig » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:05 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
TheStig wrote:I don't know how Hoiberg outranks VDN. Both are pretty incompetent but at least the guys played hard for VDN and made the playoffs. I think the VDN Bulls team's were less talented than the team Hoiberg took over. Hoiberg's team just tuned him out and blew up in spectacular fashion. Even this year with a lot of changes there is a lot of drama. #1 job for a coach is to get guys on the same page and playing hard. Hoiberg can't do that at all.

Thibs
Skiles
VDN

I enjoyed and looked forward to every Bulls game and I actually really liked the team. Haven't felt that way the last couple of seasons... hell, I miss games now and don't even care. I liked the way those teams played. Left it all on the floor.

They were really an exciting team and I was so mad when they broke up the Rose and BG backcourt. I know they weren't very good defensively but it just seemed like they were something really special. I also don't think BG would have trailed off with a consistent role.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#50 » by Mech Engineer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:18 pm

SpinninHouse wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:

So what...he wanted his vets to play at end of games. GarPax didn't think enough of Rose as a #1 option in 2010 FA , they went after 2 ball needy guys ...LeBron and Wade. They wanted Rose to be the 4th option and a passing PG like Rondo.

Rose rising up to MVP levels or Jimmy rising after his average years was not foreseen by GarPax. Why are we blaming Vinny for trying to ease Rose in to the league. Silvy is a radio host trying who talks half the time without thinking....he is no basketball savant.
SpinninHouse
RealGM

Post#51 » by SpinninHouse » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:29 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

So what...he wanted his vets to play at end of games. GarPax didn't think enough of Rose as a #1 option in 2010 FA , they went after 2 ball needy guys ...LeBron and Wade. They wanted Rose to be the 4th option and a passing PG like Rondo.

Rose rising up to MVP levels or Jimmy rising after his average years was not foreseen by GarPax. Why are we blaming Vinny for trying to ease Rose in to the league. Silvy is a radio host trying who talks half the time without thinking....he is no basketball savant.

Is this a serious response or a joke?

#CHICAGOBULLS
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#52 » by transplant » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:10 pm

VDN coached a Bulls team whose roster gave all kinds of reasons for hope.

Hoiberg Has coached 2 very different teams. The first had a roster that was dysfunctional because it wasn't clear whose team it was...Rose's or Butler's. The #1 leader on that team was Noah who was clearly a Rose guy. That's a bad situation. This year, that ambiguity is gone. It's Butler's team. Wade was brought in and has done nothing other than reinforce that fact. The bad news is that the roster that the FO assembled is pretty much Hoiberg's worst nightmare. Hoiberg's a "pace and space" coach and his players are largely unathletic and can't shoot a lick.

It may be that Hoiberg isn't a very good NBA head coach. IMO, he hasn't been dealt a very good hand in his first two seasons. I also don't think that the FO believed that the roster they assembled this season was going to be all that good. They were looking at the 2017-18 season moreso than this season. Even so, the failure of their young core (Mirotic, McDermott and Portis) to be real contributors has to be a serious disappointment with long-term negative consequences. If we viewed Mirotic as a legit starting stretch 4 and McDermott as either a starting wing or a dynamic 6th man, we'd feel very differently about the team and about Hoiberg. Alas.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#53 » by Axl Rose » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Thibs
Skiles
VDN
Hoiberg
Floyd
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
pduh01
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,562

Post#54 » by pduh01 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:09 pm

Thibs
Skiles
VDN
Cartwright

And the I rank last both Tim Floyd & Fred Hoiberg as a tie for now.
Check out my blogs
http://nbaanalytical.blogspot.com/ <-------NBA Analytical

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/phillip93
SpinninHouse
RealGM

Post#55 » by SpinninHouse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:03 am

This thread is like examining five bowel movements and debating in what order they looked the best.

In all seriousness, we know it goes 1) Thibs 2) Skiles. But how do you assess who is worse - VDN, Floyd, Hoiberger or Cartwright? All four were awful.

#CHICAGOBULLS
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#56 » by kingkirk » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:19 am

SearsTower wrote:Personally, I liked Skiles more than Thibs. Thibs has the personality of a brick.

Yes, because Skiles was a jolly lad that brought happiness with him everywhere he went.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#57 » by Payt10 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:04 am

1. Thibodeau
2. Skiles
3. Del Negro
4. Hoiberg
5. Cartwright
6. Floyd
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#58 » by Payt10 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 am

Thibs
Skiles
VDN

Yeah, I don't think VDN was a great coach by any stretch of the imagination, but he's clearly better than Hoiberg. Aside from the fact that they made the playoffs in both years he was coaching, he also never had the kind of lockerroom issues Hoiberg had.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#59 » by kingkirk » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:47 am

Payt10 wrote:Yeah, I don't think VDN was a great coach by any stretch of the imagination, but he's clearly better than Hoiberg. Aside from the fact that they made the playoffs in both years he was coaching, he also never had the kind of lockerroom issues Hoiberg had.

Controlling a locker room full of vets is a different task entirely to one with a bunch of kids being your best players.
SpinninHouse
RealGM

Post#60 » by SpinninHouse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Mark K wrote:
SearsTower wrote:Personally, I liked Skiles more than Thibs. Thibs has the personality of a brick.

Yes, because Skiles was a jolly lad that brought happiness with him everywhere he went.

Lol!

#CHICAGOBULLS

Return to Chicago Bulls