Image ImageImage Image

Cowley: Gar not going anywhere, unlikely to rebuild

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Re: Cowley: Gar not going anywhere, unlikely to rebuild 

Post#61 » by keloms » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:17 am

TyrusRose2425 wrote:
fleet wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Thank you for reporting what we already knew,

Did you know that corporate sponsors are now running the team?

I only read the title. Forgot Cowley was going to add some bull in there somewhere

Don't blame him for the circus he covers, he's the best in the city and doesn't play around.
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#62 » by TyrusRose2425 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:31 am

keloms wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:
fleet wrote:Did you know that corporate sponsors are now running the team?

I only read the title. Forgot Cowley was going to add some bull in there somewhere

Don't blame him for the circus he covers, he's the best in the city and doesn't play around.

he's the worst by far
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,549

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Cowley: Gar not going anywhere, unlikely to rebuild 

Post#63 » by Dominator83 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:44 am

kyrv wrote:
Dominater wrote:
kyrv wrote:
Absolutely.

Bulls being a playoff team and Lions being losingest NFL team in history, virtually identical.

A going nowhere playoff team, which is the worst thing you can be.

Also, i meant the Millen comparison as in he has iron clad job security no matter how bad he sucks at his job, and is a joke among other GM's and agents. he got lucky with Butler 5 years ago, and 5 years later and all we have is him and exactly ZERO around him either on the court or in tradeable assets. We don't even have a Lou Williams type of player that can atleast fetch a late 1st. Thats on Gar.

No, being the worst team in league history is worse than that.

And Millen got fired. He didn't have job security. He did not make the playoffs. I agree, Millen was a joke. Another difference.

If you want to make someone look bad, putting them next to someone far inferior just doesn't get it done.

He got fired when it was LOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG overdue. For a long time everyone was scratching their heads as to why he hadn't been fired yet. Hell, i remember being at a Blackhawks game back when they were awful and playing the Red wings. There were more "fire Millen" chants than anything. To me our situation is very similiar, we have a trash GM who should have been fired yesterday, and now were getting confirmation that our owner is going to continue to give him a free pass to be awful, even going as far as saying "hes satisfied with the product"

maybe your right. This is actually worse than Millen. Atleast the Ford family finally reached a breaking point and fired him, even if it was late
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
JimmyButler21
Starter
And1: 1,570

Post#64 » by JimmyButler21 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:29 am

Why do people continue to pay attention to this organization? They don't care about winning, never had. It's all about that money.
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#65 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:52 am

keloms wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:
fleet wrote:Did you know that corporate sponsors are now running the team?

truth. cowley only guy in town telling the truth. Its a shame cuz KC has the bigger light bulb to shine and chooses to keep that access over good journalism. Unless Cowley is KC's hitman? something to think about.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,797

Post#66 » by jc23 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:10 am

stilldropin20 wrote:
keloms wrote:
TyrusRose2425 wrote:I only read the title. Forgot Cowley was going to add some bull in there somewhere

truth. cowley only guy in town telling the truth. Its a shame cuz KC has the bigger light bulb to shine and chooses to keep that access over good journalism. Unless Cowley is KC's hitman? something to think about.

maybe, it has a very political news vibe to me. KC is MSNBC and Cowley is Fox news.

But i do believe the article, one of the only ways the moves this past summer makes any sense.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Bandit King
Analyst
And1: 1,145

Post#67 » by Bandit King » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:16 am

KC is the most useless team beat reporter in the entire USA. Never reports any trades, writes fluff pieces, and poo poos any rumors.
Chicago Bulls Basketball - The Continuity
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#68 » by stilldropin20 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:22 am

JimmyButler21 wrote:Why do people continue to pay attention to this organization? They don't care about winning, never had. It's all about that money.

more nuanced than that, no? I mean when they win, they do make more money too? So there is hope/ a chance those forces collude at some point.

And you know, its not only winning that generates revenue(butts in seats n ratings )for them, but outside of these message boards, Chicago fans (that attend games) are NOT that nuanced about the game itself. they like dunks and ankle breaking moves over good team basketball. it all reeks of marketing!! and we seem obsessed with stories like white players, or short players like Nate (and i love me some nate for what he did for us!) but still. local kids have been given way too many opportunities. or family connections (grant) etc. too too much midwest college talent pool. Its all by design folks. Sometimes I seriously wonder when they are going to let a random fan play like a full quarter. Seriously. I think its totally coming.

But this is all from the top. Pax knows basketball and is reasonable. Gar exists to merge the marketing and basketball. They are smart guys. They know what their boss wants and give it to them nearly every year. next FO will have the same mandate. and might not be as good at it as this one.
like i said, its a full rebuild.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#69 » by ptpablo » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 am

Ctownbulls wrote:Only way they change is if the bottom line changes. If the bottom line didn't change when the franchise had the worst record over a 6/7 year period in NBA history when/how will it?

It won't. Corporations are the cash cow. Not us the little people. It's Trumps world, we are just living in it.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#70 » by rtblues » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 am

K.C. Johnson, boy reporter. Stuff is like a high-school paper talking about their team.
Guy has NEVER broken one NBA story. Apologist, uber-careful not to dare offend management, players, coaches, the towel guy...

Cowley being a jerk and K.C. being lame are mutually exclusive, they both basically suck, in their own unique ways.

Even the Daily Herald crew is better, but not much...

Seems like they're all afraid to offend anyone, except for Rosenbloom, who is an opinionated, in-your face jerk as well, but at least he isn't afraid of going after owners/management.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Bulls_Fan
Head Coach
And1: 815
Location: Don't mess with the BULLS young man, you'll get the horns

Post#71 » by Bulls_Fan » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 am

This article makes me sick and I believe Cowley 100%.

I'm not naive to think that the bottom line doesn't play a role in bball decisions but this is something that doesn't sit right with me.

So we will go through another trade deadline with a team with a TON of flaws and not make any trades (besides a worthless Niko shedding). Gar and probably Paxson next to him will say, "We are committed to Jimmy Butler, we like him, we always listen to offers, that has always been our stance."

So we will go into the offseason picking in the late teens (probably 18-20). Bulls will brag that we are making strides as we made the playoffs and played hard in the 1st round. Meanwhile, we will have little cap space and a whole mess of a roster to fix. Wade will stick around to prop up this sinking ship for another year and it will be rinse and repeat for another season.

Why do I even bother? I had more hope and enjoyed following the team back when they were winning 15 games back in 2000.
tiffac
Starter
And1: 699

Post#72 » by tiffac » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 am

You know it's fine not to do a full rebuild, if you don't create a team that doesn't play well together and have a coach that has probably has no idea what he's gonna do with it...
Manners Maketh Man
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,452

Post#73 » by samwana » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am

All the stuff coming out that Gar stays is a bit over the top for me. It seems all beat writers try to convince us that their really is no way the FO is fired is starting to make me believe otherwise.

The little tidbits that you see here and there about a turnover is keeping me interested. Sponsors not being happy, dropping a spot in rankings, a half empty UC even if it's Valentine's day.

Such obvious connections like Michael Reinsdorf and Gar have are unhealthy and maybe that's just too much for some of the other owners, sponsors and it could lead to changes???

Or maybe I'm just grasping here?
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Re: RE: Re: Cowley: Gar not going anywhere, unlikely to rebuild 

Post#74 » by Ctownbulls » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:01 pm

rtblues wrote:K.C. Johnson, boy reporter. Stuff is like a high-school paper talking about their team.
Guy has NEVER broken one NBA story. Apologist, uber-careful not to dare offend management, players, coaches, the towel guy...

Cowley being a jerk and K.C. being lame are mutually exclusive, they both basically suck, in their own unique ways.

Seems like they're all afraid to offend anyone, except for Rosenbloom, who is an opinionated, in-your face jerk as well, but at least he isn't afraid of going after owners/management.

Cowley may be a jerk but he typically is right and tells the tough stories nobody else is willing to tell.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,756

Post#75 » by Jeffster81 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:04 pm

I simply cannot wait until the Bulls trade a 30 year old Jimmy Butler to (insert your favorite of team of choice here) for two second round picks in 2022 and 2023. Then in a subsequent move the Bulls trade both picks to whoever for cash considerations.
Can't wait... :x

This franchise is stuck in neutral. They can't sign FREE AGENTS because nobody wants to play for Hoiberg or the human cockroaches Paxson/Gar. So to get help for Butler, they will trade for it, but with what? The Bulls don't have the assets to pull off such move(s). They can get such assets but they have to move their only good players like Butler, (arguable I know)Wade and Gibson. (Because nobody is giving the Bulls anything for the trash on the bench.) So the Bulls are in a vicious cycle of mediocrity with no end in sight.

But hey everybody let's give it up to Paxson and Gar for having job security. Reinsdorf is approaching the late Bill Wirtz level of disdain from me.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#76 » by Proven_Winner » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
rtblues wrote:K.C. Johnson, boy reporter. Stuff is like a high-school paper talking about their team.

Cowley may be a jerk but he typically is right and tells the tough stories nobody else is willing to tell.

That's true but sometimes he takes it too personal like someone slapped his wife and kids. Example with Rose every article he made about him was negative. Rose could've put a triple dub and Cowley would right article that same night saying the triple dub wasn't impressive and Rose sucks.

People appreciate the honesty but no one likes a hater like cowley. Same with KC but in reverse. No one respects his loyalty but you do appreciate his level headed views.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#77 » by MC3 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:

Until next time, this is Cowley auuuuuu and you're reading the Chicago Sun-Times. Bringing the truth, no matter how bad it hurts.
tron_carter
Pro Prospect
And1: 22

Post#78 » by tron_carter » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Dominater wrote:We are the NBA's version of the Matt Millen Detroit Lions

Being a fan of both, the Bulls are heading that way... Millen was basically Fords favorite son
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#79 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:45 pm

tron_carter wrote:
Dominater wrote:We are the NBA's version of the Matt Millen Detroit Lions

Being a fan of both, the Bulls are heading that way... Millen was basically Fords favorite son

If Matt Millen had the NFL equivalent of Paxson's success, he'd still be a GM. It's a terrible and baseless comparison.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#80 » by TheStig » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 pm

I just have to ask, what exactly does Gar have to get fired?

He's literally messed up every situation and decision in the last 2 years? About the only good thing we got was Wade and we really overpaid and stripped out depth for him.

Return to Chicago Bulls