Image ImageImage Image

OT kinda: ESPN bloodletting

kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

OT kinda: ESPN bloodletting 

Post#1 » by kyrv » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Didn't see a thread on this, BSPN made bad decisions at tbe top and many are paying for it. Fight ar the bat rack for Fox and CBS sports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/sports/espn-layoffs.html?_r=0

Link fixed, app wouldn't load. So far like 100 espn employees laid off and maybe not done. Some big names. Locally Missy Isaacson.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Re: OT kinda: ESPN bloodletting 

Post#2 » by R3AL1TY » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:20 pm

The link is not working and your short explanation is unclear.
detlef_schrempf
Junior
And1: 489

Post#3 » by detlef_schrempf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:20 pm

So many bad people who are definitely making a lot of money that they could let go.

Like Neil Everett and Stephen A Smith.
DO THE DEW!
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,251

Post#4 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 pm

It's unfortunate when anyone is losing a job, but what sucks is when a person loses their job and they weren't responsible for it.

Lots of good reporters getting fired today, some talking heads, not enough talking heads. ESPN continues to make poor decisions and the innocent working there are being held accountable for it.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#5 » by League Circles » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:It's unfortunate when anyone is losing a job, but what sucks is when a person loses their job and they weren't responsible for it.

Lots of good reporters getting fired today, some talking heads, not enough talking heads. ESPN continues to make poor decisions and the innocent working there are being held accountable for it.

IDK man, what are those "innocent" reporters doing to make money for the stockholders of disney? That's all that matters. You don't have to be "guilty" to lose a job. Jobs have to be created and destroyed. I agree it sucks for them that they lose their job, but there are 1.5 billion shares of disney outstanding, and I'd bet 50% of Americans own a piece in one form or another. Reporters just don't generate revenue the way they used to, largely due to twitter, etc.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,489

Post#6 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 pm

Trent Dilfer surprises me most.

Ethan Strauss is who I'll miss most.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
kyrv
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: OT kinda: ESPN bloodletting 

Post#7 » by kyrv » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:It's unfortunate when anyone is losing a job, but what sucks is when a person loses their job and they weren't responsible for it.

Yep.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#8 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:40 pm

League Circles wrote:

IDK man, what are those "innocent" reporters doing to make money for the stockholders of disney? That's all that matters. You don't have to be "guilty" to lose a job. Jobs have to be created and destroyed. I agree it sucks for them that they lose their job, but there are 1.5 billion shares of disney outstanding, and I'd bet 50% of Americans own a piece in one form or another. Reporters just don't generate revenue the way they used to, largely due to twitter, etc.

I know you don't have to be guilty to lose your job, it's just one of life's injustices. You see your boss making poor decisions and losing money, and then your boss tells you there isn't enough money to pay you. I said it sucks. I think it does.

ESPN looks like they're continuing down the path of alienating sports fans and trying to bring in entertainment fans. I think it will continue to fail. This is another step in that direction.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#9 » by League Circles » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 pm

Chicago-Bull-E wrote:
League Circles wrote:

I know you don't have to be guilty to lose your job, it's just one of life's injustices. You see your boss making poor decisions and losing money, and then your boss tells you there isn't enough money to pay you. I said it sucks. I think it does.

ESPN looks like they're continuing down the path of alienating sports fans and trying to bring in entertainment fans. I think it will continue to fail. This is another step in that direction.

I don't get how losing your job is an injustice without a contract especially since no one considers quitting a job to be an injustice, but I otherwise agree that ESPN is definitely going down the road of gossip/drama entertainment. I haven't used their website or watch their programming outside of Bulls stuff for many years.
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#10 » by terry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Ah man! Nick Frediell wasn't laid off!!
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Maybe it hits closer to home because it is sports, and we are on a sports forum. However, are we really upset about literally 100 people losing jobs? For a company the size of ESPN that sounds like a really trivial layoff.

It sucks when people lose their jobs, but I'm a lot more concerned with those who lose their jobs because their entire industry died and have few opportunities left.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 pm

League Circles wrote:I don't get how losing your job is an injustice without a contract especially since no one considers quitting a job to be an injustice, but I otherwise agree that ESPN is definitely going down the road of gossip/drama entertainment. I haven't used their website or watch their programming outside of Bulls stuff for many years.

Interestingly, I get almost all my sports news on the web on ESPN ever since Yahoo Sports completely fubar'd their website a year or two ago. I just couldn't take it afterawhile. It's like they outsourced almost everything to SBNation's random bloggers and got rid of almost all journalistic integrity.

I'm not sure what other alternative there is for "general sports". I'm sure there are plenty of places for NBA, and I use some of those too, but I like the general variety of stuff on ESPN for when there isn't much going on in basketball.

I don't know if ESPN is going down or getting worse or whatever. It's a different age for sports coverage. It reminds me of the shift that MTV went through when they stopped playing videos and made everything reality TV. ESPN has found that sports highlights and breaking news isn't a thing it can do anymore, we all see it all before we get to ESPN, so what is left? They still have their live sports, but now they are focusing on the analysis and talking heads.

I think that's okay actually. I also get my news/highlights from somewhere else first, and the ESPN shows I've enjoyed most are the ones with the talking heads. They need to execute those style of shows well in order to be successful, but I think the shift to analysis/argument and away from news/highlights is mandatory for them.

It is probably a smaller market which means they'll likely see a retraction in terms of value though, but I think that happens either way. They just can't keep doing what they were doing because times have changed.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:30 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Maybe it hits closer to home because it is sports, and we are on a sports forum. However, are we really upset about literally 100 people losing jobs? For a company the size of ESPN that sounds like a really trivial layoff.

It sucks when people lose their jobs, but I'm a lot more concerned with those who lose their jobs because their entire industry died and have few opportunities left.

Of course, entire industries dying out are horrible for the workers in those industries.

Fortunately, empathy isn't a limited resource.
League Circles
RealGM

Post#14 » by League Circles » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:53 pm

dougthonus wrote:
League Circles wrote:I don't get how losing your job is an injustice without a contract especially since no one considers quitting a job to be an injustice, but I otherwise agree that ESPN is definitely going down the road of gossip/drama entertainment. I haven't used their website or watch their programming outside of Bulls stuff for many years.

Interestingly, I get almost all my sports news on the web on ESPN ever since Yahoo Sports completely fubar'd their website a year or two ago. I just couldn't take it afterawhile. It's like they outsourced almost everything to SBNation's random bloggers and got rid of almost all journalistic integrity.

I'm not sure what other alternative there is for "general sports". I'm sure there are plenty of places for NBA, and I use some of those too, but I like the general variety of stuff on ESPN for when there isn't much going on in basketball.

I don't know if ESPN is going down or getting worse or whatever. It's a different age for sports coverage. It reminds me of the shift that MTV went through when they stopped playing videos and made everything reality TV. ESPN has found that sports highlights and breaking news isn't a thing it can do anymore, we all see it all before we get to ESPN, so what is left? They still have their live sports, but now they are focusing on the analysis and talking heads.

I think that's okay actually. I also get my news/highlights from somewhere else first, and the ESPN shows I've enjoyed most are the ones with the talking heads. They need to execute those style of shows well in order to be successful, but I think the shift to analysis/argument and away from news/highlights is mandatory for them.

It is probably a smaller market which means they'll likely see a retraction in terms of value though, but I think that happens either way. They just can't keep doing what they were doing because times have changed.

i agree with most of this and should clarify that I actually get literally all my sports world contact through espn but it's all via espn radio in the car. I listen to parts of at least 3 shows a day and often 4 or 5 shows. They are all talking heads but do clue you in to the major stories. I never go to espn.com or watch their tv programming if not Chicago pro sports or maybe Wisconsin Badgers game action. That said, it's common to see them a bit at establishments too.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#15 » by Mech Engineer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:00 pm

If ESPN gives live programming free, maybe a lot of people will connect with their talking heads for loyalty/familiarity etc..
MTI09
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#16 » by MTI09 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:11 pm

The cable and satellite tv companies took loyal existing customers for granted and abused their loyalty. Nascar is paying the price for the same mistake. It would be too simple to let the customer pick and pay for the content they want instead of getting 400 infomercial and religious channels. Cheap bill for new customers, expensive bill for loyal, long paying customers. The levees gonna break.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#17 » by kyrv » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:If ESPN gives live programming free, maybe a lot of people will connect with their talking heads for loyalty/familiarity etc..

I read several years that their plan was to provide all content on the app free (no sign-in), since they have advertising there. Obviously they changed their minds which my guess is was not a great idea.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#18 » by kyrv » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:42 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Well I'm not sure how 'upset' anyone is, and it's not really a contest.

I mean come on, we talk about an injury to someone with generational wealth as a tragedy. Always something bigger better richer worse more important whatever.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,453

Post#19 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:47 pm

FS1 about to scoop up some big names. They're comin
stilldropin20
RealGM
And1: 1,233

Post#20 » by stilldropin20 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:01 am

i am so happy to say that i do not watch sports at all save the bulls. not even the superbowl even though i through superbowl parties.

i only watch the bulls. and solely get my bulls news from you guys and my own eyes. sports are a waste of time. if i could quit the bulls i would but chatting with you guys is too fun. is this forum and others like it did not exist i would not even watch the bulls.

frankly, the debate and discussion on realgm is more entertaining than the game for me. but thats because i been here 17 years and can predict what nearly every single poster will say. that, and i stick my own neck out on the line in the forum.

and id venture to guess that some version of this is true for a lot of posters on here.
like i said, its a full rebuild.

Return to Chicago Bulls