Image ImageImage Image

PG: 2016-2017 dumpster fire season comes to fitting end

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

BullsInBuffalo
Rookie
And1: 423

Re: PG: 2016-2017 dumpster fire season comes to fitting end 

Post#141 » by BullsInBuffalo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:16 am

MrSparkle wrote:Well, if I were the GM, I'd:

1. Fire Fred.
2. Let Niko and MCW walk.
3. Shop Valentine and Lopez (sick of slow feet).
4. Offer a $10m/3y deal to Felicio, and $14m/3 to Lauvergne.

-Agree with 2-3.5 (Don't need to see Lauvergne back).
-I have never been a Fred guy (I love Thibs) but I can't judge him off of the crap roster the FO gave him. this roster is terrible.

I would...
Pick up Rondo
Hope Wade opts out (wont happen)
Let Niko and MCW walk
Shop Rolo, Grant, payne and Valentine (Whatever guys you can't move start on your bench).
They will have somewhere around 30 Mill to spend if they can shop Rolo and 1 of those guards. Maybe even a bit more actually.
Draft Allen/Patton at 16.
Go get a solid back up PG through trade
Go after the not so big but still somewhat big fish in FA.. (CP3/Heyward/Blake/Steph/Lowery/ect. all won't be coming here. That means they should be looking at Millsap/Bosh/Gallo/Ibaka who is my personal fav of this group and a great fit next to Butler)

That would leave the roster at...
PG- Rondo (14 mil)
SG- Dwade (23.8 mil)
SF- Jimmy Butler (18.6 mil)
PF- Serge Ibaka (I would guess he gets a 3 year plus 1 at around 80 Mill. 27 years old, so that's helping him. So thats 20 Mil per)
C- Cristiano Felecio (Guessing he gets 12mil/3 so theres 4 mil)
Back up PG through trade (We will say 7 mil)
Isaiah Canaan - (1.5 mil)
Bobby Portis - (1.5 Mil)
Lets say we keep Cam Payne - (2 Mil)
Paul Zipser (1.3 mil)
Jerian Grant (1.7 mil)
Pick 16 - Rotation big/Hopeful starter down the road (Allen/Patton) (2 mil)
pick 38 (.7 mil)

The salery cap is set to be around 102 mil - This roster puts you at around 98, So we are cutting it close. Could get a few scrub FA's to round out the roster. Hopefully my estimate on ibaka is correct. The new FA numbers have me in shock, maybe he gets more in this market? Mozgoc got 64/4, Kanter got 70/4, Byumbo got 70/4. Ibaka has more value than all of those 3 but how much more?

Some Pgs we could add through trade would be..
Corey Joseph (7.4 mil per)
Jerryd Bayless (9 per)
Ishmeal Smith (6 per)
Ramon Sessions (6.1 per)
Langston Galloway (5.3 per)

Obviously, not a lot of great options, but they are better than the guys we had this year when Rondo went down.

At first glance, is that roster a contender? No, probably not... but it would make things fun at least until 18' when we have a ton of cap coming off the books. That team is better than this years team. In the east the roster is probably a 4-6 seed. Obviously the glaring need is at center, but I think Felacio is improving and can be a serviceable one. Ibaka seems like a good big to put beside him and Bobby can take minutes at the 5.
Chicago Brawls
Senior
And1: 834

Post#142 » by Chicago Brawls » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:56 am

Whose brilliant idea was to put together Rondo, Wade and Butler anyway?

You can't run away from incompetence. It'll find you sooner or later. See you next time.
Yeah, well you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#143 » by Rerisen » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:00 am

stilldropin20 wrote:but it did happen albeit briefly this year. we did reach a level of synergy and played for each other. too bad we didn't get to see it for at least 1 full playoff round.

But see I would have needed to see it that long - beating Boston not 2 games - to even take a chance.

Every average team in the league probably had a real good month where they looked like they could be more, but the curse of low talent is you can't sustain it and its about way more than just everyone buying in and wanting to.

I guess if we can't lure any other good PGs out there, he could be considered as a stop-gap till 2018, but his history the last 3 seasons is overwhelming as a guy that hasn't defended and who's play has mostly been bad. So hard to say its just some bad early season chemistry on the Bulls only.

You say they finally figured it out, I say Rondo finally started caring and playing to get that contract picked up once he saw his career was in real jeopardy after the Bulls almost cut him, and of course tried hard in the playoffs. There is a reason people say 'TV Rondo' and 'Playoff Rondo'.

But once he's picked up, we'll go back to getting 'Regular Season Rondo' I fear, and that guy isn't very good, especially paired starting with Wade and Butler.

And if you do resign him, and Niko, there is no money, so how is Wade gonnna be convinced to come off the bench? He won't do it for anyone we have now - not Paul freaking Zipser.

Earlier in the year you were on the nuke it side, IIRC, then got swept up in one good month of team play. But might have had been much closer to the mark with the first take, just we don't have a competent FO to manage a nuke.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,288

Post#144 » by dumbell78 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 am

I think we have to be very careful about overvaluing Rondo and those 1st two games. Also cant be as simple as a guy like Rondo is make or break for your team. That gives the FO yet another pass. This team was always heavily flawed (crap) and I think Boston probably wins the series anyways, not blow out style but they win nonetheless.

Niko
MCW
Zippy
Wade
Grant
Lopez
Portis
Felicio

All of the above stunk for most of the series, Rondo aint turning all those guys into hero's. That's 80% of your playoff rotation. That simply cant happen.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#145 » by R3AL1TY » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 am

Bolton wanders
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#146 » by Bolton wanders » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:14 am

im sure there will be no change in front office , so we need to fire hoiberg , and butler have to convince wade to opt out and take less money , mirotic mcw payne lauvergne felicio grant lopez all of them need to go out of bulls nation , im 50 50 on lopez .
Bolton wanders
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#147 » by Bolton wanders » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 am

if fred stays he need to learn some tricks and need to have plan b and try some thing different like what stevens did he change his team and play with small , after this series if mirotic get more than 5 m per season it will be overpaid .
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#148 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:19 am

Bolton wanders wrote:if fred stays he need to learn some tricks and need to have plan b and try some thing different like what stevens did he change his team and play with small , after this series if mirotic get more than 5 m per season it will be overpaid .

One good thing about this series is either we let Mirotic walk or he resigns for cheap. I think I would prefer letting him walk.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#149 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 am

DuckIII wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Image

:lol: Classic.

Look in the bottom left corner. Spencer Dinwiddie. Man, that guy would have been terrific for us this year. Go back and read the Summer League GT. So many of us were saying he should be signed and that he would fit our roster. Just another example of poor talent evaluation by the Bulls. If the Bulls were smart they would have seen what we saw and signed Dinwiddie to deal with a team option. Would have been a better asset than almost anything we have.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#150 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:47 am

Bolton wanders wrote:
.....so we need to fire hoiberg , and butler have to convince wade to opt out and take less money.......

lol. I love when people say this. Wade opting out and then re-signing here for less money is a pretty funny idea. NEVER happen.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,413

Post#151 » by Ice Man » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:51 am

Not that it affected the series result, but can I say on the record how the referees sucked? In Game 6, Butler was in the paint again and again. He got 1 FT for all that. (The other 4 FTs were on a technical and a 3-point attempt.) We all know what sort of calls Isaiah Thomas gets, again and again and again.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#152 » by Ice Man » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 am

BeatDaCavs420 wrote:Really don't get how people can deny this is not the reason we lost

Because it is the tiniest of sample sizes. Rondo's positives are based on a single game. In Game 1, the Bulls were -7 when he was on the floor. They pulled away and won in the stretch when he was on the bench. Every single positive for Rondo came in Game 2.

Mind you, he was and is better than all the PG alternatives. But these otherworldly attributes that the Bulls supposedly get with Rondo on the floor ... come on now.

That said, I would take him back. He does seem to have adopted a mentor-the-kids approach, and he's a good PG when he's playing hard and motivated. Cut all the rest of them, draft a young PG whom Rondo can teach, and go with that.
jamalkandur
Senior
And1: 719

Post#153 » by jamalkandur » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:44 pm

It's really ironic but if Bulls would want to another playoff run instead of rebuilding they can create with some cheap FA signings, like this:
Rose
Butler
Snell
McDermott
Rolo
Taj Gibson
Brooks
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#154 » by Ice Man » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:47 pm

jamalkandur wrote:It's really ironic but if Bulls would want to another playoff run instead of rebuilding they can create with some cheap FA signings, like this:
Rose
Butler
Snell
McDermott
Rolo
Taj Gibson
Brooks

LOL! Sure, why not. That's no worse than the team they will assemble, and it would be kinda fun in a retro way.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,702

Post#155 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:25 pm

Now it's time to see what Gar/Pax can do to put together a legitimate roster with some solid NBA talent.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#156 » by Axxo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:39 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Now it's time to see what Gar/Pax can do to put together a legitimate roster with some solid NBA talent.

They had more than enough time to do that already...
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#157 » by RememberLu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:08 pm

Axxo wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Now it's time to see what Gar/Pax can do to put together a legitimate roster with some solid NBA talent.

They had more than enough time to do that already...

They've had like 10 years to do that

they suck at it
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#158 » by Red8911 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:26 pm

Payt10 wrote:Why are the Bulls always so good at humiliating defeats in the playoffs? How many times have they won a game in a series, only to lose 3 or 4 in a row, including the last one in embarrassing fashion?

Yeah that's why many predicted this before the game started. Worst part is they came into this elimination game scared, no morale at all, they didn't believe they had a chance. It would of been more respectable if they fought hard and lost at the end,not like this,this was embarrassing..All 3 home games were losses,that's unacceptable. Maybe a better coach/character would of had these guys ready to play,Fred obviously failed again.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#159 » by GetBuLLish » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:27 pm

PLAYOFF WADE. :lol:
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Post#160 » by Red8911 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:37 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Bolton wanders wrote:
.....so we need to fire hoiberg , and butler have to convince wade to opt out and take less money.......

lol. I love when people say this. Wade opting out and then re-signing here for less money is a pretty funny idea. NEVER happen.

Yeah exactly he's not letting go of that money. If he does resign(which he probably will),he should be used a lot less than this season. Meaning less minutes and maybe even coming off the bench. He can still help the team, not as our #2 though but mainly as a veteran presence. Hes just older at this point of his career,misses a lot of games,can't play with the energy that he used to. I think a off the bench Wade can help more,but the obvious problem is who starts.

Return to Chicago Bulls