Image ImageImage Image

Tidbits From Valentine/Portis Exit Interviews

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Tidbits From Valentine/Portis Exit Interviews 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Portis:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Valentine:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Re: Tidbits From Valentine/Portis Exit Interviews 

Post#2 » by BR0D1E86 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:25 pm

Valentine should feel free to take the ball from MCW, Grant and that goofy haired loser we got from OKC.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#3 » by DuckIII » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:30 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:Valentine should feel free to take the ball from MCW, Grant and that goofy haired loser we got from OKC.

One of the greatest failures of this season was not developing Valentine's point guard game despite having a stable full of D-League backups.

It's mind boggling.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#4 » by BR0D1E86 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:36 pm

DuckIII wrote:
BR0D1E86 wrote:Valentine should feel free to take the ball from MCW, Grant and that goofy haired loser we got from OKC.

One of the greatest failures of this season was not developing Valentine's point guard game despite having a stable full of D-League backups.

It's mind boggling.

Couldn't afford to break up the sweet offensive rhythm they developed without him.

I acknowledge that Valentine had a disappointing rookie season. But he was buried on the bench behind guys who are proven to not belong on an NBA court. They should have carved out a small, consistent role for him early in the season and stuck with it. It does no one any good for him to never play and run Michael Carter Williams out there.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#5 » by GimmeDat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:41 am

Valentine will focus on guarding PG over summer? I don't think that's ever going to happen, and I don't think he's ever a 'PG', per se.

That said, if he's working on foot speed and all related stuff to guarding quicker guys, I think that should help him immensely.

He'll never find a sweet spot for his role with the 3 alpha's on board though, I don't think.
d boy gentleman
Analyst
And1: 1,311

Post#6 » by d boy gentleman » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:34 am

Valentine is much better with the ball in his hands running the point as opposed to a spot up shooter. Although it was only D League, he showed during the time he was there that he was a more than capable running the point. That's what made him great at MSU.
coldfish wrote:Zach should file a complaint. Some of those non calls were battery complaints.

Stratmaster wrote:Will Perdue says asinine things, and his pants are way too short.

sco wrote: New Orleans has to be one of the, if not THE hardest city to eat healthy. I think they fry the water.
babblin-on
Bench Warmer
And1: 219

Post#7 » by babblin-on » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:41 am

Hopefully he gets hooked up with a good PED doc if he wants to have the quickness to either guard PGs, or play as one offensively outside of simply dribbling the ball up court.
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

- Michael Jordan
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#8 » by Ctownbulls » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:37 am

Are we just going to glaze over this incopetent medical staff making another ridiculous mistake. They burned a players foot on the damn training table by leaving a heating pad on too long. This is comical.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#9 » by Payt10 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:48 am

When he got drafted, I predicted he'd start his career out as strictly a spot up shooter, but eventually settle in to a primary ball handler role as he matures and there is more roster turnover. If you look at Draymond Green his rookie year, he was faced with many similar problems. It wasn't until his 3rd year until he was allowed to play a facilitator role. I'm kind of thinking that's how it's going to go with Denzel. I expect he'll share a lot of ball handling responsibility with the 2nd unit next year, and by his 3rd year, you could see him as the lead facilitator.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
Just_Bullz
Veteran
And1: 629

Post#10 » by Just_Bullz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:05 am

Payt10 wrote:When he got drafted, I predicted he'd start his career out as strictly a spot up shooter, but eventually settle in to a primary ball handler role as he matures and there is more roster turnover. If you look at Draymond Green his rookie year, he was faced with many similar problems. It wasn't until his 3rd year until he was allowed to play a facilitator role. I'm kind of thinking that's how it's going to go with Denzel. I expect he'll share a lot of ball handling responsibility with the 2nd unit next year, and by his 3rd year, you could see him as the lead facilitator.

It's a good sign if that's the case, he was playing the facilitator role in college.
Alcatraz17
Sixth Man
And1: 994

Post#11 » by Alcatraz17 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:19 am

Ctownbulls wrote:Are we just going to glaze over this incopetent medical staff making another ridiculous mistake. They burned a players foot on the damn training table by leaving a heating pad on too long. This is comical.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19274210/chicago-bulls-power-forward-bobby-portis-played-3rd-degree-burn-foot

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/04/29/bulls-bobby-portis-played-through-3rd-degree-burn-on-foot-late-in-season/

Portis revealed Saturday that he’s been playing since March 4 with a burn atop his left foot that’s caused him pain. It was a third-degree burn, he said, and he suffered the injury when he left a heating pad on too long before a game against the Clippers.

Cant Fix Stupid.

"No one ever really knew about it, but it affected me a little bit," Portis said. "Every time I bent my foot, it hurt, it hurt. I didn't really never complain because I'm one of those guys that, I think I'm tough, so I didn't really try to tell anybody about it, so I just hold it in myself. Other than that, it affected me, but at the same time I followed through because I got in the rotation. I didn't want to let a foot injury get me out and have to work my way back into it."

"Portis said his foot is still "kinda, sorta" bothering him and that it impacted him down the stretch: "No one ever really knew about it, but it affected me a little bit. Every time I bent my foot, it hurt, it hurt."

“The heat pad burned me before the game,” Portis said. “I was actually on the table. I couldn’t feel because I had my headphones in. I didn’t feel it burning through.”

WHAT?????????

When he says he's on the trainers table, it makes it sound like the trainer is working on him then. If so, how could the trainer place a pack hot enough to burn bobbys foot but not their own hand? And if it was slowly heating up, why would him wearing headphones affect him feeling it get that hot? This is of course with believing that a heat pack would even get that hot, something that the trainers and players use 1,000 times a year.

And the cherry on top..."No one ever really knew about it".

Oh Bobby...

So weird...
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,451

Post#12 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:34 am

This league is filled with insanely good PG play. Forcing Denzel at PG isn't a real option unless it's for moments of a game.
R3AL1TY
General Manager
And1: 2,314

Post#13 » by R3AL1TY » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 am

Even though medical errors are one of the top causes of death or injuries, this sounds like it was Bobby's own fault. I guess this injury gives him a little pass for having certain bad games and explains why Fred barely made him play in certain games despite showing signs of good production.

As for Denzel, I think he mainly needs to work on his awareness on defense. Not so much on staying in front of an opponent. He seems ok with that part. Him guarding PGs won't be ideal. SGs and SFs will be his best bet. He also needs to work on dribble drives, and his ball handling. I think he will improve, but it's hard to say by how much.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#14 » by MC3 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:44 pm

who cares. who simply cares about scrubs
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#15 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:55 pm

Bobby injured himself due to enept trainer?

Why is this organization a walking calamity?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#16 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Bobbys injury is just another black eye on the Bulls medical staff.

Its not Bobbys fault he got burnt. But I do understand why he didn't want to tell Fred after either.

The Bulls never had a set rotation. You were in one day, completely benched the next. Bobby didn't want to give Fred an outlet to then bench him again.

In Denzels case he also was inexplicably benched at the end of season. This is despite playing our best basketball during this period when he was in it.

Denzel was hitting about 2.5 3s per game at a 39% clip. He had a bad game against NY and was basically benched ever since. Never got back into rotation.

The problem is Fred always seemed to go back to MCW which we all know is NOT the answer.
The Cult of Personality
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#17 » by BigUps » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:39 pm

I don't get the hate for trying Val at PG. Can someone explain to me why the hate is there? The assumption he couldn't play defense in the NBA was proven wrong this season. He was a fine defender this year and certainly wasn't the disaster 95% of you thought he'd be. I just don't get the hate. I suppose your mind is made up and the actual play didn't help change it.
chrispatrick
Starter
And1: 1,261

Post#18 » by chrispatrick » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:49 pm

Didn't he get a lot better after this injury? He was fairly terrible until March, then started playing pretty solidly starting in March and was shooting the ball really well while seemingly trying harder on defense.

Should we burn his foot next year?
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#19 » by Ice Man » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:08 pm

R3AL1TY wrote:Even though medical errors are one of the top causes of death or injuries, this sounds like it was Bobby's own fault. I guess this injury gives him a little pass for having certain bad games and explains why Fred barely made him play in certain games despite showing signs of good production.

?

This happened in early March, after which Portis had regular minutes and played his best basketball of the season.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#20 » by Ice Man » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:10 pm

BigUps wrote:I don't get the hate for trying Val at PG. Can someone explain to me why the hate is there? The assumption he couldn't play defense in the NBA was proven wrong this season. He was a fine defender this year and certainly wasn't the disaster 95% of you thought he'd be. I just don't get the hate. I suppose your mind is made up and the actual play didn't help change it.

Hey, give it a try. I was one of those who was writing about how Val should do some playmaking. He looked terrible the few times that he tried it, though. He doesn't want to cross the 3-point line, because then he might be forced to shoot a 2-pointer and he seems to hate doing that. You can't facilitate if there's no threat to penetrate.

But maybe he will fix that.

Return to Chicago Bulls