Image ImageImage Image

ESPN: Blair bad knees and Derozan guarantee

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Re: ESPN: Blair bad knees and Derozan guarantee 

Post#61 » by Clint Eastwood » Fri Jun 5, 2009 3:18 pm

The Next Big Thing wrote:
TB#1 wrote:I'm no doctor and we don't have any objective findings to look at anyway, but I have to say that before I'd get behind the pick, I hope more testing is done and there are some reasonable medical opinions out there projecting how much tread is left on those tires.

Generally I agree with you, but I'm not sure how easy this will be. Medicine is like almost any other industry where you can find someone willing to say almost anything if you pay them enough. You will probably see Blair and his agent release some reports saying that his knees are fine, while you will probably also see parties who want to hurt his draft stock (other players agents, GM's of teams drafting lower in the 1st round, RealGM'ers who don't want us to pick him, etc) who will all come out with reports saying that his legs could fall off at any moment. The hard part isn''t going to be getting medical opinions; it's going to be finding which of those reports are accurate.

also, medicine really isnt the exact science you all make it out to be. images like mri, and arthrograms can tell you the status of the structure of the joint, but it tells you nothing about the continued deterioration that may or may not occur. some players can play well with crappy knees all of their life without issue. some can have minor issues that compromise their play constantly. this is coming from someone who has medical knowledge as well as two prior knee surgeries himself.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant

Post#62 » by Clint Eastwood » Fri Jun 5, 2009 3:19 pm

DuckIII wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:
I'd like Blair, but it seems very likely - even with catastrophic knee issues - that he is going to be drafted before we even get close to our pick. In that case I am all over a Tyler pick at 16.

Me too. Though I still hold a candle for Terrance Williams. Right now, I'm here:

1. Blair
2. Williams or Hansbrough

Hansbrough won't be around at 26. If the Bulls like him, they need to take him at 16 if he's on the board.

you and i have the same board. at 26 i wouldnt mind that ossipi (sp?) dude, or lester hudson for a spark shooter off the bench.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#63 » by DuckIII » Fri Jun 5, 2009 3:43 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:you and i have the same board. at 26 i wouldnt mind that ossipi (sp?) dude, or lester hudson for a spark shooter off the bench.

Sadly, I don't know enough about this college class to have a preference at 26 unless someone surprisingly falls.

Generally, I'll be looking for this at the 26: I high upside stud (Mullens) who unexpectedly falls, or a steady, experienced player who might not ever play much but can provide roster balance (which will depend on who is taken at 16).

I still think its entirely possible that the Bulls dump at least one of these picks to shed salary obligations.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#64 » by BR0D1E86 » Fri Jun 5, 2009 5:37 pm

All of this boils down to the fact that I have to attend Dougs draft party just to hear the collective groan when Tyler's name gets called at 16. I should get a Bulls jersey made with Hansbrough's name just so I can wear it to the party.

I’m bummed that we’re going to be back around Chicago the week before the draft now. No draft party for me.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#65 » by TNBT » Fri Jun 5, 2009 6:00 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:
All of this boils down to the fact that I have to attend Dougs draft party just to hear the collective groan when Tyler's name gets called at 16. I should get a Bulls jersey made with Hansbrough's name just so I can wear it to the party.

I’m bummed that we’re going to be back around Chicago the week before the draft now. No draft party for me.

Boo freakin' hoo. I've never even been to the US at all!!!

:lol: I kid, I kid.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#66 » by kyrv » Fri Jun 5, 2009 6:12 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:
The Next Big Thing wrote:
TB#1 wrote:I'm no doctor and we don't have any objective findings to look at anyway, but I have to say that before I'd get behind the pick, I hope more testing is done and there are some reasonable medical opinions out there projecting how much tread is left on those tires.

Generally I agree with you, but I'm not sure how easy this will be. Medicine is like almost any other industry where you can find someone willing to say almost anything if you pay them enough. You will probably see Blair and his agent release some reports saying that his knees are fine, while you will probably also see parties who want to hurt his draft stock (other players agents, GM's of teams drafting lower in the 1st round, RealGM'ers who don't want us to pick him, etc) who will all come out with reports saying that his legs could fall off at any moment. The hard part isn''t going to be getting medical opinions; it's going to be finding which of those reports are accurate.

also, medicine really isnt the exact science you all make it out to be. images like mri, and arthrograms can tell you the status of the structure of the joint, but it tells you nothing about the continued deterioration that may or may not occur. some players can play well with crappy knees all of their life without issue. some can have minor issues that compromise their play constantly. this is coming from someone who has medical knowledge as well as two prior knee surgeries himself.

Thank you.

I had the feeling he felt there was some finite answer out there, if only you could find it among the biased doctors.

As a fan, selfishly, I would rather not have to worry about injuries, especially ones that I know are lurking.

I have a feeling Tyler will go before Blair maybe, and Tyler maybe will go before #16. Hopefully nobody realizes the bad stereotyping they were doing.
ballerkingn2
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#67 » by ballerkingn2 » Sat Jun 6, 2009 1:01 am

didn't see this posted,but blair might think he can play the 3 in the nba some day. I don't see it nor do i wan to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsBVPZ1PVGs
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#68 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Sat Jun 6, 2009 1:14 am

To my knowledge Psycho T had a much better jump shot that Blair in college. If either one wants to survive in the nba, they will need a jumper (like Glen Davis has). For that reason I would take Tyler.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#69 » by molepharmer » Sat Jun 6, 2009 12:49 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:...also, medicine really isnt the exact science you all make it out to be. images like mri, and arthrograms can tell you the status of the structure of the joint, but it tells you nothing about the continued deterioration that may or may not occur. some players can play well with crappy knees all of their life without issue. some can have minor issues that compromise their play constantly. this is coming from someone who has medical knowledge as well as two prior knee surgeries himself.

While I agree with this, it should also be noted that once the knees have started to deteriorate, unless detected very early, they will not get better. Medicines have not evolve to where they can reverse this process, yet. Approved pharmaceuticals can merely treat the symptoms, lessen pain, minimize further breakdown, etc.

While I'd been thrilled if the Bulls could have drafted a "healthy" Blair, with the knees being a question mark, I'd be happier with Tyler now; but it's only about 65:35 preference.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
Chewie
Lead Assistant
And1: 336

Post#70 » by Chewie » Sat Jun 6, 2009 1:16 pm

charity stripe wrote:Heh, imagine hiring an agent named Happy.

Just sign B.J. Armstrong as your co-agent for a "Happpy B.J." combo.

But is there any other kind ? :thumbsup:
Turn down for what?
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Clint Eastwood » Sat Jun 6, 2009 1:53 pm

molepharmer wrote:
Clint Eastwood wrote:...also, medicine really isnt the exact science you all make it out to be. images like mri, and arthrograms can tell you the status of the structure of the joint, but it tells you nothing about the continued deterioration that may or may not occur. some players can play well with crappy knees all of their life without issue. some can have minor issues that compromise their play constantly. this is coming from someone who has medical knowledge as well as two prior knee surgeries himself.

While I agree with this, it should also be noted that once the knees have started to deteriorate, unless detected very early, they will not get better. Medicines have not evolve to where they can reverse this process, yet. Approved pharmaceuticals can merely treat the symptoms, lessen pain, minimize further breakdown, etc.

While I'd been thrilled if the Bulls could have drafted a "healthy" Blair, with the knees being a question mark, I'd be happier with Tyler now; but it's only about 65:35 preference.

not to be a contrarian, but medicines have evolved a little in this regard. that is the whole point of microfracture surgery actually, to drill holes in the bone to hopefully stimilate cartilage growth due to better vascular supply.

also, i agree with you about the draft a little. i am warming to tyler, but still prefer blair.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#72 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Sat Jun 6, 2009 11:48 pm

If we pick Tyler at 16 I am gonna be a very sad panda. His entire game will change in the NBA. We will be spending our first rounder on another post player who has limited offense, but is a solid rebounder. If we're gonna pick an undersized banger for our front-court it better be Blair.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
GM_JAMES
Senior
And1: 0

Post#73 » by GM_JAMES » Sun Jun 7, 2009 12:05 am

Ben B. wrote:If Blair slips to 16, I would still take him.

LMFAO... Why?

Drafting a player with bad knees isn't like getting mattress 75% off with a slight tear.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#74 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 6:25 am

GM_JAMES wrote:
Ben B. wrote:If Blair slips to 16, I would still take him.

LMFAO... Why?

Drafting a player with bad knees isn't like getting mattress 75% off with a slight tear.

And the mattress is very strong, with really long arms, and can out-rebound a bunk bed.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
GM_JAMES
Senior
And1: 0

Post#75 » by GM_JAMES » Sun Jun 7, 2009 1:20 pm

I just find it funny that Blair was supposed to be so cut and had lose so much weight and all that Jazz, but he still had 12% body fat. A physical with a Red flag is serious. And if his knees are "Devasted" as reported then drafting him is a huge risk. Alot of teams have been reported willing to dump thier picks, So I hope that is a good sign the Bulls can get another first rounder. Tyler Hansbrough will be gone before 26th, Utah likes him at 20th and he has worked out for the 21st pick Hornets as well. Thou I would still do it, Drafting him at 16th is a little high. Minnesota's has a 18th pick that is being shopped and shown an interest in Hinrich. So that could work for the Bulls. The Bulls really need to get a Power Forward and a Shooting Guard from this draft. And as a side maybe a nice back up Point Guard. So now it's a matter of getting the best player for each need. The Shooting Guards & Power Forwards near to end of the first have more issues then the ones around 16th. So adding another selection would be very helpful. A really think they want to get Hansbrough but the question is at what cost. Taking him with the 16th means the 26th becomes the Shooting Guard pick, and the Shooting Guards at 26th have issues. Wayne Ellington is a great shooter but the combine showed is short reach could make him a liabilty on defense. Terrence Williams would be great at 16th but would mean Bye Bye to Hansbrough unless the Bulls make a trade. If they decide to pass on Hansbrough then they could get Dajuan Summers at 26th and he could become a nice option at both Power Forward or Small Forward. His Height, Weight and Athletism are good. And with an uncertain Luol Deng drafting a Hybrid Forward like him would be nice. Alot of ways to go. But I would be shocked they take Dejuan Blair, Unless the Physical is just a ploy to make Blair drop. I doubt that since his agent admits the red flags exsist and is just debating the wording ...

Return to Chicago Bulls