Image ImageImage Image

Cap & Lux Tax Figures

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Re: Cap & Lux Tax Figures 

Post#61 » by BR0D1E86 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:30 pm

They can sign three year extensions now, starting at 105% of the last year of their current salaries, and do exactly that while being paid a lot more.

Well darn you, captain buzzkill.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#62 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:30 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:No it isn't - thats with luxury tax paid. 2.6 million is 2.6 million.

GO check above - all of my final numbers include money actually paid out, including the luxury tax.

My mistake. It is.

So this makes the question;

$2.6 million saving or Tyrus Thomas?

Giving that Utah has Kirilenko and Millsap in that scenario, I'm inclined to believe Utah will prefer the savings.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#63 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:32 pm

Mort

Reading everything you and Mags have wrote and I understand what Mags is saying. IMO you think it' would be fairly easy to find a better deal saving money which I disagree, it might happen but the likely hood is it will be tough

First things first, how many teams are the the cap to absorb Boozer contract? If they aren't teams that can absorb some of his contract all they can do is save 25% of his in trades

Also if teams aren't under the cap which teams have a 5-6mil TPE to take a Korver or Harpring back without putting themselves in the LT territory?

Yes if they can find a team with a TPE worth the amount of Miles, Korver or Harpring then it beats the Bulls saving but if they can't then the Bulls deal is the next best thing.

This is from T9
the problem is the Jazz are talking to several other teams and may wait to find a better deal.

The Bulls offer won't top a team with a TPE but what teams have them and if they do will using the TPE put that team over the LT themself
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#64 » by Three34 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:33 pm

BR0D1E86 wrote:
They can sign three year extensions now, starting at 105% of the last year of their current salaries, and do exactly that while being paid a lot more.

Well darn you, captain buzzkill.

Now, who here likes a good story about a bridge?
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#65 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:43 pm

Sham wrote:Jazz have already signed Maynor, by the way.

I blame your site for not keeping me up to date on that kind of breaking news.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
jax98
RealGM

Post#66 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:48 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:Mort

Dammit, you found the bolded font.

Reading everything you and Mags have wrote and I understand what Mags is saying. IMO you thinks it would be fairly easy to find a better deal saving money which I disagree, it might happen but the likely hood is it will be tough

You have players on partially guarenteed contracts like Jerry Stackhouse which could be used. You could also attempt a three-way trade with two team significally under the tax, and take on the absolute minimum salary against what you're sending out.

First things first, how many teams are the the cap to absorb Boozer contract? If they aren't teams that can absorb some of his contract all they can do is save 25% of his in trades

No team can absorb Boozer's entire contract. But as mentioned above, finding a trade in which you use unguarenteed contracts as well as taking on just 75% of what you send out could work.

Also if teams aren't under the cap which teams have a 5-6mil TPE to take a Korver or Harpring back without putting themselves in the LT territory?

I don't expect neither Korver nor Harpring to be absorbed by TPE's. But let's assume you move Boozer and Korver ($17,662,536) in a three-way involving Stackhouse and Utah take on just 75% of what they're sending out ($13,246,902);

Stackhouse saves them $5 million and the trade saves $4,415,634, resulting in $9,415,634 saved.

Now, I don't know if Stackhouse's number will still be counted on the cap. But either way, they save more that way.

Yes if they can find a team with a TPE worth the amount of Miles, Korver or Harpring then it beats the Bulls saving but if they can't then the Bulls deal is the next best thing.

I'm not saying the Bulls trade is bad. I'm saying Jerome James would be significally more easy to move if a team could remove $5.4 million of his salary from their tax payment.

This is from T9
the problem is the Jazz are talking to several other teams and may wait to find a better deal.

The Bulls offer won't top a team with a TPE but what teams have them and if they do will using the TPE put that team over the LT themself

Just for fun, let's assume a team has a TPE that can absorb CJ Miles in addition to the move above:

That's $9,415,634 plus CJ's salary of $3,700,000 saved.

Total: $13,115,634
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Three34 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:53 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... ctions.jsp

July 1st

Chicago names Randy Brown as director of player development.
Philadelphia names Mike O'Koren as associate head coach.
Toronto names Alvin Williams, Eric Hughes and Francesco Cuzzolin as assistant coaches.
Utah signs Eric Maynor.

A bad workman always blames something else even when the something else isn't at fault.
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#68 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:02 pm

Mort here's a Chicago deal that works under trade checker

Tyrus, James, Nelson and Linton for Boozer and CJ Miles

How much would that save them plus add in James being 80% covered
BullsFan123
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#69 » by BullsFan123 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:08 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Holy crap - look what else was in the league memo -

The NBA's ballyhooed free-agent summer of 2010 might have quietly taken another hit late Tuesday night.

In a memo announcing next season's salary cap and luxury-tax threshold, sent out shortly before the league's annual July moratorium on signings and trades was lifted at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, NBA teams also received tentative projections from the league warning that the cap is estimated to drop to somewhere between $50.4 million and $53.6 million for the 2010-11 season.

The official league memorandum, obtained by ESPN.com, forecasts a dip in basketball-related income in the 2009-10 season of 2.5 percent to 5 percent, which threatens to take the 2010-11 cap down some $5 million to $8 million from last season's $58.7 million salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... AHeadlines

Haha, this is hilarious. I wonder if players (Bosh, Lebron, etc. ) can sign extensions this summer to get higher contracts then they would recieve next year?

From May 26, 2009

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=908256

Ben B. wrote: Why would you assume a $55 million cap in 2010? Right now it's around $58.7 million. $61 million is a fair assumption, although it could be a little less.

Looks like I was still too optimistic with my $55 million cap number. :lol:
jax98
RealGM

Post#70 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:15 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:Mort here's a Chicago deal that works under trade checker

We can't use the 80% on James' contract. That's the entire problem. It's not going to be valid.
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#71 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:19 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:Mort here's a Chicago deal that works under trade checker

We can't use the 80% on James' contract. That's the entire problem. It's not going to be valid.

No where has it said he'll be able to play, just that this injury players have came back from so he won't be medically retired

So if James can't play wouldn't the insurance still cover his contract
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#72 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:20 pm

Sham wrote:
Magilla_Gorilla wrote:

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pages ... ctions.jsp

July 1st

Chicago names Randy Brown as director of player development.
Philadelphia names Mike O'Koren as associate head coach.
Toronto names Alvin Williams, Eric Hughes and Francesco Cuzzolin as assistant coaches.
Utah signs Eric Maynor.

A bad workman always blames something else even when the something else isn't at fault.

Cmon Sham - you can't expect me to read the whole site.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Three34 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:21 pm

Can. Do.
LordBaldric
General Manager
And1: 1,970

Post#74 » by LordBaldric » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:22 pm

From Larry Coon via BuffaloBull on another thread:

Players' maximum salaries are never less than 105% of their previous salary. For example, a ten-year veteran who earned $20 million in 2006-07 has a maximum salary of $22.1 million in 2007-08, even though that is above the league-wide maximum. A free agent does not need to remain with the same team in order to receive 105% of his previous salary, although the team that signs him is subject to the same salary cap restrictions as with any other free agent.

So no. There is no reason for the 2010 free agents to sign 3 year deals this off season.
jax98
RealGM

Post#75 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:22 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:
No where has it said he'll be able to play, just that this injury players have came back from so he won't be medically retired

It would. But not on paper, which presents a problem. Utah will save $5.4 million, but they would still have $6.6 million counting on their cap.
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#76 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:29 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:

It would. But not on paper, which presents a problem. Utah will save $5.4 million, but they would still have $6.6 million counting on their cap.

But there going to have that 6.6 counting against the cap regardless of what trade they make unless they find a TE

SO IF they can't get that TE savings, 5.4mil is better than not saving anything which for some reason you're not understanding

Mags nor I are saying that the deal is better than getting a TE for one of their players, what I'm saying is the likely hood of them getting one isn't too good IMO

You not understanding that is giving me a headache

Oh by the way I found the underline too :D
jax98
RealGM

Post#77 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:54 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:But there going to have that 6.6 counting against the cap regardless of what trade they make unless they find a TE

Uhm.. I'm not quite sure what you mean here. They can decide not to deal with Chicago and instead do what I suggested earlier, where they saved around $9 million total.

SO IF they can't get that TE savings, 5.4mil is better than not saving anything which for some reason you're not understanding

I do understand that, and I agreed with it.

I am saying I don't find it likely, and I think there are still better alternatives from their end. If all fails and Jerome is the best option left to save any kind of dough, then sure. But how bloody likely is that?

Mags nor I are saying that the deal is better than getting a TE for one of their players, what I'm saying is the likely hood of them getting one isn't too good IMO

Neither is the likelihood of them accepting James over a possible trade that'll see them acquire only partially guarenteed contracts. Which I've now stated several times..

You not understanding that is giving me a headache

This goes both ways. You really don't seem to follow what I'm saying, either.

Oh by the way I found the underline too :D

.. and the crap that is my day continues..
Ralphb07
RealGM

Post#78 » by Ralphb07 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 6:19 pm

Mort you do know the deal I said of Tyrus,James,Linton and Nelson for Boozer and Miles saves them 4 mil instantly. The James 5.4 mil is a bonus

The Bulls have a couple of options for the Jazz too

We also have a TE too that we could do Tyrus and James for Boozer and do the TE for Kofus saving them close to 3 mil

I bet you they could find a team for Miles separate getting a TE for. Miles isn't a bad player at at 3.7 mil could fill a back up role

I also understand there is some non guarantee contracts out there that can beat our deal but does Boozer fit those teams and are those team in talks with Utah

We can tweak the Thomas and James deal too. We can add Linton and Nelson to take Miles 3.7 contract on which they can waive Nelson and Johnson or if they find a separate deal for Miles we could use are 1.9mil TE to take a player off their hands
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Three34 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 6:21 pm

There IS no James $5.4 mil.
jax98
RealGM

Post#80 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 6:41 pm