Image ImageImage Image

Cap & Lux Tax Figures

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kozelkid
Bench Warmer
And1: 54

Re: Cap & Lux Tax Figures 

Post#21 » by kozelkid » Wed Jul 8, 2009 3:20 am

I have question about restricted free agents.
Can a RFA reject a max contract?
For example let's look at Roy and Portland. Obviously Roy will get a max deal, but a max deal for an rfa is pretty crappy since they get an increasing contract from 14 to around 18 when in reality they may deserve more from year one. So basically, since Gordon won with the whole QO fiasco, can a guy like Roy reject a max contract and wait till 201 1where he can get a bigger contract as a ufa.
Thanks for anyone who can answer this.
In response to http://www.mediatakeout.com/2009/37659- ... ebook.html

TB#1 wrote:Its like a 21st Century Scarlet Letter.
whodey
Starter
And1: 169

Post#22 » by whodey » Wed Jul 8, 2009 3:32 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:Yes, we could do that - cut him & sign him back later..... I dont know what they are planning.
We could have not given a QO to Gray and still signed him also.

I was wondering what your opinion was on the cap for 2010 now that the 2009 cap has been set? You thinking about a drop to about 57 million with the max being about 30% still for players in the 7-9 years range? Or do you see changes in both the cap and the percentage of the cap that max players get after the negotiations are played out?
Bullsville
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Bullsville » Wed Jul 8, 2009 3:34 am

When a player has been in the NBA for three or more seasons, and is playing under a one-year, ten-day or rest-of-season contract, the league actually reimburses the team for part of his salary - any amount above the minimum salary level for a two-year veteran.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q11

As long as we only sign Pargo to a one-year contract, he will only count $825,497 against the salary cap and Luxury Tax.

All we have to do is cut Nelson, then we can sign Pargo and keep Roberson (although I don't know why we are keeping Roberson, unless it is to be Jack Haley for Noah).
ballerkingn2
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#24 » by ballerkingn2 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 3:45 am

Seen roberson the day before the draft taking a bottle to the head and smoking of all things. Anyway i like what he can bring regardless and he reminds of pargo a lot. Not sure if other,but he def does with me. Anyway i just don't know why we just don't try and package Tim Thomas somewhere instead of again having him rout on the IL as i expect to happen. Maybe try n flip him for jerry stackhouse or anther guard on his last deal heck even a player we could then release so that we can sign someone else who we can actually use. That really 1 player i want gone and not sure even why he's still here.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 463

Post#25 » by step » Wed Jul 8, 2009 3:55 am

Obviously Roy will get a max deal, but a max deal for an rfa is pretty crappy since they get an increasing contract from 14 to around 18 when in reality they may deserve more from year one.
He can't get any more by waiting that one extra year, the max is still 25% of the salary cap for him. He would lose around $8M by doing this, so he must be adamant on not wanting to play in Portland to do so.

It's only if you played in the league for more than 7 seasons that you can get more money, hence why Lebron and Wade structured their deals as such. They are entitled to 30% of the salary cap.
the air. . . . .man
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#26 » by the air. . . . .man » Wed Jul 8, 2009 4:15 am

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:Has a reason been given as to why Aaron Gray is wasting 1million on the roster?

No - and I was not a fan of that qualifying offer. We could use that salary to pay someone who is actually good at playing basketball.

dumb :no:
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#27 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 9:27 am

Being so very close to Lux Tax means that the Bulls will make very few moves this summer - unless they ditch some salary with a trade in next week or so.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#28 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 10:37 am

$57.7 million is not so bad. I thought it'd go down more. I wonder why the cap and tax couldn't have been tweeked slightly so the tax barrier would be at exactly $70 million. It'd be much easier with a clean and round barrier.
kozelkid
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by kozelkid » Wed Jul 8, 2009 12:16 pm

step wrote:
Obviously Roy will get a max deal, but a max deal for an rfa is pretty crappy since they get an increasing contract from 14 to around 18 when in reality they may deserve more from year one.
He can't get any more by waiting that one extra year, the max is still 25% of the salary cap for him. He would lose around $8M by doing this, so he must be adamant on not wanting to play in Portland to do so.

It's only if you played in the league for more than 7 seasons that you can get more money, hence why Lebron and Wade structured their deals as such. They are entitled to 30% of the salary cap.

ok, thanks.
Regardless, nba still has a **** up way of giving salaries. I mean a player will get his max these days by around age 28 when it should be at like age 24 if they are a superstar by then.

Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#30 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Jul 8, 2009 12:51 pm

Holy crap - look what else was in the league memo -

The NBA's ballyhooed free-agent summer of 2010 might have quietly taken another hit late Tuesday night.

In a memo announcing next season's salary cap and luxury-tax threshold, sent out shortly before the league's annual July moratorium on signings and trades was lifted at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, NBA teams also received tentative projections from the league warning that the cap is estimated to drop to somewhere between $50.4 million and $53.6 million for the 2010-11 season.

The official league memorandum, obtained by ESPN.com, forecasts a dip in basketball-related income in the 2009-10 season of 2.5 percent to 5 percent, which threatens to take the 2010-11 cap down some $5 million to $8 million from last season's $58.7 million salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... AHeadlines
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
kozelkid
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by kozelkid » Wed Jul 8, 2009 12:53 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Holy crap - look what else was in the league memo -

Which is why teams have to be wary about giving max in 2010 and I hope we rather go after the 2nd tier stars like Boozer and Joe Johnson than Bosh or Amare.

northbrookrich
Veteran

Post#32 » by northbrookrich » Wed Jul 8, 2009 1:26 pm

So, with a estimated 2010 cap as low as $50.4 and lux tax line of $61.2, where does that leave the Bulls? Where would the Bulls be if they could trade Kirk for an expiring?
anrichardson
Pro Prospect
And1: 45

Post#33 » by anrichardson » Wed Jul 8, 2009 1:35 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. But it's about Jerome James.

JAMES’ INJURY NO SURE THING
I’ve seen plenty of speculation about the Bulls getting a financial break if Jerome James’ injury is ruled to be career-ending. In reality, that’s a long shot. The 7-foot center, acquired from New York for Larry Hughes last February, has a torn Achilles tendon, which is an injury that many NBA players have overcome. So it doesn’t seem all that likely the Bulls will be able to prove it’s a career-ender.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/2261

my question is, can the bulls call it a career ending injury as of right now and if he can play later can they just pay that salary later to add onto the lux tax. or do something like Darius Miles type thing? Sorry I don't know anything far as C.B.A.
jax98
RealGM

Post#34 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 1:53 pm

Dammit.. I was afriad this would happen.

If we can't use Jerome as an insurance contract, it severly limit our possibilities.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#35 » by Clint Eastwood » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:10 pm

Magilla_Gorilla wrote:Holy crap - look what else was in the league memo -

The NBA's ballyhooed free-agent summer of 2010 might have quietly taken another hit late Tuesday night.

In a memo announcing next season's salary cap and luxury-tax threshold, sent out shortly before the league's annual July moratorium on signings and trades was lifted at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, NBA teams also received tentative projections from the league warning that the cap is estimated to drop to somewhere between $50.4 million and $53.6 million for the 2010-11 season.

The official league memorandum, obtained by ESPN.com, forecasts a dip in basketball-related income in the 2009-10 season of 2.5 percent to 5 percent, which threatens to take the 2010-11 cap down some $5 million to $8 million from last season's $58.7 million salary cap.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... AHeadlines

there may not be a 2010 offseason at this point. i forcast a strike.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#36 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:18 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:Dammit.. I was afriad this would happen.

If we can't use Jerome as an insurance contract, it severly limit our possibilities.

If Big Snacks cant play for a medical reason, insurance will pay. Even if it is not career ending, he has the injury. So the Bulls (or another team) does save money. It's just that the salary will then not be excluded from Lux Tax considerations.

So maybe Utah will not take it + Tyrus for Boozer...... or maybe they will if it is the best offer they get
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#37 » by theanimal23 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:36 pm

If the cap ends up being $50 million in 2010 and the free agents can earn up to 30% of the cap, we need to have about $35 million or less on the books.

Assuming the following:
Renouncing Tyrus
Letting go of all our free agents next year
Salmons Opting In
Johnson and Gibson's salary next year combined are about $3.5 million (I do not know the actual figures, I'm estimating)
2010 Rookie Cap Hold

We will have about $39 million committed. This can be solved if Salmons opts out. Which I think he will. However, if he doesn't, we will need to be creative. This could not be an issue if we do a S&T.
jax98
RealGM

Post#38 » by jax98 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:39 pm

Tommy Udo 6 wrote:If Big Snacks cant play for a medical reason, insurance will pay. Even if it is not career ending, he has the injury. So the Bulls (or another team) does save money. It's just that the salary will then not be excluded from Lux Tax considerations.

So maybe Utah will not take it + Tyrus for Boozer...... or maybe they will if it is the best offer they get

The entire point is to get 80% of his contract ($5.4 million) off the books immediately, thus saving certain teams from luxury tax, or at least minimize it.

Now we can only move him to teams under the tax who still wants to save money. And I suspect the offers won't be as good.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#39 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:44 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:
Tommy Udo 6 wrote:If Big Snacks cant play for a medical reason, insurance will pay. Even if it is not career ending, he has the injury. So the Bulls (or another team) does save money. It's just that the salary will then not be excluded from Lux Tax considerations.

The entire point is to get 80% of his contract ($5.4 million) off the books immediately, thus saving certain teams from luxury tax, or at least minimize it.

Now we can only move him to teams under the tax who still wants to save money. And I suspect the offers won't be as good.

If you trade JJ to a team over the cap - they are still saving approx 5.3 million dollars. Nothing to sneeze at - but for a team like Utah it might be the difference between keeping or losing Millsap.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#40 » by BR0D1E86 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:45 pm

Jeez, no Roberson and Gray would make me feel better. That cash could be spent on basketball players that won’t cause me to have a severe brain hemorrhage if they see the floor.

Return to Chicago Bulls