Image Image Image Image

OT: Sox re-sign Pauly

bullsfan913323
Junior
And1: 0

Re: OT: Sox re-sign Pauly 

Post#21 » by bullsfan913323 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:32 am

WolverineBlood wrote:As a Cub fan I am trained and program to hate the White Sox, but even I must admit the White Sox should be, at worst, co-favorites to win the AL Central. While they don't have that one ace that can dominate every five days, they do have 5 guys who can take the ball every turn and give the White Sox a quality start (6ips 3 or less runs per game) and a chance to win. That's all you ask.

But as mentioned, if the White Sox don't address their bullpen, it won't matter how good their offense or starting rotation will be, cause the bullpen will be their weakness. So here's to the White Sox putting together a solid bullpen.

Just saying, the white sox have a pitcher who's thrown multiple no hitters and has the major league record for consecutive outs. Plus an ex cy young winner who isn't past his prime..
Blue Note
Starter
And1: 43

Post#22 » by Blue Note » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:37 am

TheSchmaranz wrote:
-Illmatic- wrote:2005 Mark Buehrle says hi.

He wasn't even the undisputed best pitcher on that team.

The '05 Sox are a good example of a team winning without a dominant pitcher. They benefited from timely hitting and an absurd string of lights-out starts from Buehrle-Garland-Contreras-Garcia. They each had 14-18 wins and ERAs in the mid-3's that year, solid but not spectacular, and then brought their best to the postseason.

Man, I loved that team. /reminiscing
"Just gotta stand in front of him," Butler said, as if it were simple.
-Illmatic-
Head Coach
And1: 97

Post#23 » by -Illmatic- » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:39 am

TheSchmaranz wrote:

He was an undisputed ace though. That team had multiple pitchers that could lead a team in the playoffs. Kind of like the Phillies this year. Would you dismiss holiday as an ace because some could argue that Hamels or Oswalt are better?
TheSchmaranz
Bench Warmer
And1: 108

Post#24 » by TheSchmaranz » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:41 am

Blue Note wrote:
TheSchmaranz wrote:

The '05 Sox are a good example of a team winning without a dominant pitcher. They benefited from timely hitting and an absurd string of lights-out starts from Buehrle-Garland-Contreras-Garcia. They each had 14-18 wins and ERAs in the mid-3's that year, solid but not spectacular, and then brought their best to the postseason.

And they could very well have that this year. Seems like Cooper fixed Edwin Jackson and Danks/Floyd/Buehrle will continue their string of consistency. Peavy's the guy that if we get any type of solid outings out of the guy will be a bonus. Chris Sale is also being groomed and worked out as a starter this spring.

Add a couple solid relievers and this team is as tough as any.

The '08 Phillies didn't have an ace either.
TheSchmaranz
Bench Warmer
And1: 108

Post#25 » by TheSchmaranz » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:43 am

-Illmatic- wrote:
TheSchmaranz wrote:

He was an undisputed ace though. That team had multiple pitchers that could lead a team in the playoffs. Kind of like the Phillies this year. Would you dismiss holiday as an ace because some could argue that Hamels or Oswalt are better?

I don't think you could ever call Buehrle a marquee anchor of a staff. Very good pitcher for a long time. Great #2. And keep in mind, I'm a huge Buehrle fan.
-Illmatic-
Head Coach
And1: 97

Post#26 » by -Illmatic- » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:50 am

TheSchmaranz wrote:
Blue Note wrote:
TheSchmaranz wrote:He wasn't even the undisputed best pitcher on that team.

And they could very well have that this year. Seems like Cooper fixed Edwin Jackson and Danks/Floyd/Buehrle will continue their string of consistency. Peavy's the guy that if we get any type of solid outings out of the guy will be a bonus. Chris Sale is also being groomed and worked out as a starter this spring.

Add a couple solid relievers and this team is as tough as any.

The '08 Phillies didn't have an ace either.

:o Cole Hamels **** dominated every team he pitched against int the 2008 playoffs.

4-0 with <2 ERA
Blue Note
Starter
And1: 43

Post#27 » by Blue Note » Thu Dec 9, 2010 6:56 am

TheSchmaranz wrote:Chris Sale is also being groomed and worked out as a starter this spring.

As long as we're talking Sox, I like the idea of making Sale a spot starter/long reliever. He has ace stuff and could ascend to that role in the next few seasons.

His throwing motion is troubling. Makes me cringe. I hope he can add to his frame because that motion isn't sustainable.
"Just gotta stand in front of him," Butler said, as if it were simple.
TRWJINC
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#28 » by TRWJINC » Thu Dec 9, 2010 10:31 am

i think we are going to the world series again.

im tipping

CWS v Dodgers world series

they got best pitching rotation in the league. check the stats.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#29 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 4:34 pm

I'll just disagree and say the Sox have a very very strong rotation. Keep in mind they started slow last year, they didn't have Jackson for the majority of the season and of course Freddy broke down.
GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Post#30 » by GRADEN » Thu Dec 9, 2010 7:20 pm

I did an offseason preview for a different forum after the season ended; here it is....

Signing Dunn makes me laugh a little bit because I've said many many times that he was by far the worst fielding outfielder that the game has ever seen. He strikes out alot and is older now. Let's just hope the power numbers come at timely moments and his hr/rbi stay consistent. Putz out of here too after a pretty nice year honestly. I see also that Ethreets is gone.... why? I feel like that was a mistake given that I believe it is their biggest need.

White Sox

Current Roster:

C Donny Lucy (5 for 15) 28 years old
C AJ Pierzynski (270-9-56) 34 years old
C Ramon Castro (278-8-21) 34 years old
C Tyler Flowers (1 for 11) 24 years old
--------------------
2B-3B Gordon Beckham (252-9-49) 24 years old
2B-SS Brent Lillibridge (224-2-16) 27 years old
SS-2B Alexei Ramirez (282-18-70) 29 years old
3B Dayan Viciedo (308-5-13) 21 year old
3B Brent Morel (231-3-7) 23 years old
3B-UTL Mark Teahen (258-4-25) 29 years old
1B Paul Konerko (312-39-111) 34 years old
DH-UTL Mark Kotsay (239-8-31) 35 years old
IF Omar Vizquel (276-341OB) 44 years old
--------------------
OF Alejandro De Aza (9 for 30) 26 years old
DH-OF Andruw Jones (230-19-48) 33 years old
OF Jeremy Reed (2 good years, 2 bad) 29 years old
OF Juan Pierre (275-341OB-68SB) 33 years old
OF-DH Carlos Quentin (243-26-87) 28 years old
OF-DH Manny Ramirez (261 in 69ABs) 38 years old
OF Alex Rios (284-21-88) 29 years old

Free Agents: Andruw Jones, Paul Konerko, Mark Kotsay, AJ Pierzynski, Omar Vizquel, Manny Ramirez

Pitchers:

SP John Danks (15-11, 3.72) 25 years old
SP Mark Buehrle (13-13, 4.28) 31 years old
SP Gavin Floyd (10-13, 4.08) 27 years old
SP Freddy Garcia (12-6, 4.64) 34 years old
SP Jake Peavy (7-6, 4.63) 29 years old
SP-LR Tony Pena (5-3, 5.10) 28 years old
SP-LR Edwin Jackson (4-2, 3.24) 27 years old
SP-LR Chris Sale (2-1, 1.93) 21 years old
SP-LR Lucas Harrell (1-0, 4.88) 25 years old
SP-LR Daniel Hudson (1-1, 6.32) 23 years old
SP-LR Carlos Torres (13.2IP, 1GS) 28 years old
--------------------
MRP Matt Thornton (5-4, 2.67) 34 years old
MRP Scott Linebrink (3-2, 4.40) 34 years old
MRP Sergio Santos (2-2, 2.96) 27 years old
MRP Randy Williams (0-1, 5.40) 35 years old
MRP Jeff Marquez (1 IP) 26 years old
MRP Erick Threets (0 ER in 12.1) 29 years old
MRP Gregory Infante (0ER in 4.2) 23 years old
MRP-CP JJ Putz (7-5, 2.83) 33 years old
CP Bobby Jenks (1-3, 4.44) 29 years old

Free Agents: JJ Putz, Freddy Garcia

In the system: OF Jared Mitchell, OF Jordan Danks, OF Tray Thompson, LHP David Holmberg, RHP Clevelan Santeliz

Free Agent Targets: http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/02/2011 ... ee-agents/

What I would do;

1. Resign Konerko (3-4 year deal), Pierzynski (1-2 year deal), and Vizquel (1 year deal)
2. Let go of Jones, Kotsay, Ramirez, Gracia and Putz (high price)
3. Sign OF Reed Johnson, MRP Dennys Reyes, 3B Nick Punto and MRP Jason Frasor

Put out this opening day 40 man roster:

LF Juan Pierre
2B Omar Vizquel
1B Paul Konerko
CF Alex Rios
RF Carlos Quentin
DH Dayan Viciedo
SS Alexei Ramirez
C AJ Pierzynski
3B Gordon Beckham

UTL: Mark Teahen, Reed Johnson, Brent Morel, Tyler Flowers, Alejandro De Aza, Ramon Castro, Brent Lillibridge, Jared Mitchell, Jordan Danks, Jeremy Reed, Nick Punto

SP Mark Buehrle
SP John Danks
SP Jake Peavy
SP Edwin Jackson
SP Gavin Floyd

LRP Chris Sale
LRP Tony Pena
LRP Daniel Hudson
LRP Lucas Harrell
LRP Carlos Torres
MRP Matt Thornton
MRP Sergio Santos
MRP Scott Linebrink
MRP Jeff Marquez
MRP Randy Williams
MRP Jason Frasor
MRP Gregory Infante
MRP Erick Threets
MRP Dennys Reyes
CP Bobby Jenks

25 Man Everyday Roster

LF Pierre
2B Vizquel
1B Konerko
CF Rios
RF Quentin
DH Viciedo
SS Ramirez
C Pierzynski
3B Beckham

UTL: Teahen, Johnson, Flowers

SP: Buehrle, Danks, Peavy, Jackson, Floyd
LRP: Sale, Pena
MRP: Thornton, Linebrink, Santos, Frasor, Reyes
CP: Jenks

Overall not much change here... I'm really banking on better years from some of our starters namely Buehrle and Peavy. Combine that with a bolstered Bullpen and our pitching should carry us. Resigning Paulie is a must and I'm hoping for even a better year from Rios to form a 60-200 combo.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#31 » by Shootdabull » Thu Dec 9, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm glad to have pauly back but we still need to make some moves if we want to catch the twins.

Pauly & Dunn will look good in the middle of the line up if they can keep up there numbers.

I see several people touting the starters. The starting rotation is good but it looks like peavy is going to be out for awhile so all of the sudden it does not look so deep. If they bring sale in as the fifth starter we are looking at big holes in the bullpen. With putz & jenks & linebrink out we are going to need a big year out guys like santos. I like thorton in the set up role but I'm not sure he is ready to be a big time closer. We could be good if Peavy can come back strong.

3b question mark: I hope kenny dumps teahen, will we then go young in morel or younger in viciedo. I'm not sure viciedo can field or if morel will hit.

Outfield: I still feel is below average. JP has speed but he is getting older and is an ok hitter. Carlos needs a year like when we first got him and alex hit pretty good last year. I would really like a good center fielder and alex over as i'm not impressed with his fielding.

So far I like the moves except for the bullpen. Hopefully kenny isn't done yet.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,696

Post#32 » by madvillian » Thu Dec 9, 2010 10:18 pm

-Illmatic- wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:
-Illmatic- wrote:They aren't going anywhere with their pitching staff.

Enjoy the winter Chicago, because it's goint to be a long summer for both sides of town.

What?! Their pitching staff is the strongest thing about their team.

Peavy
Buehrle
Jackson
Danks
Floyd

That's a deep rotation.
they were in the lower half of team era last year. Peavy hasn't been relevant for 3 years now and can't stay healthy. A team with no ace , doesn't
Go anywhere.

Luckily we have stats like ERA+, which take into account park factors. Sox were 3rd in the AL, one "point" below 2nd. They have a good pitching staff. It's the offense and defense that were not up to snuff.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#33 » by Shootdabull » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:51 am

madvillian wrote:[Luckily we have stats like ERA+, which take into account park factors. Sox were 3rd in the AL, one "point" below 2nd. They have a good pitching staff. It's the offense and defense that were not up to snuff.

I agree the offense was streaky and I agree the D is shakey. We are weak up the middle - AJ never had a great arm, beckham is learning a new position, ramirez is ok and alex is out of position. He would be ok in left or right but he does not get a good break on the balll for center fielder. Adding Dunn is not going to help us there, but I think we will improve at short & second with another year under there belt.

Return to Chicago White Sox