Image Image Image Image

JR to the CWS

Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 577

JR to the CWS 

Post#1 » by Howling Mad » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:48 pm

FOXSports.com is reporting that the White Sox have completed a deal for Cincinnati Red slugger Ken Griffey Jr., pending Griffey's approval of the deal. The article doesn't say what the Sox gave up to get him.
G I N T
Bench Warmer
And1: 202

Re: JR to the CWS 

Post#2 » by G I N T » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:23 pm

Like the idea of adding more power, but I think another move has to be made to make room for him in the outfield. Unless they decide to put him at DH, which I think is unlikely.
TheSchmaranz
Bench Warmer
And1: 108

Post#3 » by TheSchmaranz » Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:46 pm

I'm thinking this has to signal another deal, probably Thome going somewhere.
northbrookrich
Veteran
And1: 54

Post#4 » by northbrookrich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:11 pm

How about selling high on Quentin and trading him along with Danks or Floyd for a top of the rotation starter?
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#5 » by Cliff Levingston » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:40 pm

nycrich wrote:How about selling high on Quentin and trading him along with Danks or Floyd for a top of the rotation starter?

Ummm.. no. How bout not trading our best hitter and one of out future long-term starting rotation staples and instead trading Paul Konerko for a pile of compost. That'd be more beneficial to the team.

Cliff Levingston is interested in seeing what we gave up for Griffey. Hopefully not much cause he's a pretty bad fit for what we have already.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#6 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:54 pm

Apparently, we didn't give up much at all. Griffey will be playing OF, 1B and DH from what I heard. Sox are also working on a 4 way deal that would net us Huston Street.
jem3cerna
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#7 » by jem3cerna » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:18 pm

How do you know the sox are involved in a4 team trade???? source please. It would be great getting street. Its like 03 when we got Alomar and Everett.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#8 » by SportsWorld » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:27 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:Apparently, we didn't give up much at all. Griffey will be playing OF, 1B and DH from what I heard. Sox are also working on a 4 way deal that would net us Huston Street.

Richar and Masset per the score
jem3cerna
Banned User

Post#9 » by jem3cerna » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:30 pm

I heard Brian Anderson was involved in the deal???
northbrookrich
Veteran

Post#10 » by northbrookrich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:33 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:
nycrich wrote:How about selling high on Quentin and trading him along with Danks or Floyd for a top of the rotation starter?

Ummm.. no. How bout not trading our best hitter and one of out future long-term starting rotation staples and instead trading Paul Konerko for a pile of compost. That'd be more beneficial to the team.

Cliff Levingston is interested in seeing what we gave up for Griffey. Hopefully not much cause he's a pretty bad fit for what we have already.

C'mon Cliffy, the league is litterred with fluky guys who had a great half season, never to be heard from again. If the Sox want to win this year, they need a true #1 guy in their starting rotation.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#11 » by TNBT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't know what to make of this deal. If it were 10 years ago I would have been all over it, but all reports I have read have us sending young talent and prospects in return, and I'm a little hesitant to give away our top future prospects for a guy who will be 39 soon. I also agree that he doesn't seem to fit or fill a need for us. Thome is pretty much set at DH, and I have read that supposedly we would play Griffey Jr in center field, meaning that Swisher would back him up and also split time with Konerko at 1st base. I don't know a huge amount about the players personalities and attitudes on this team, but do you think the team, and especially guys like Swisher and Konerko, are going to be happy to see this guy come into the clubhouse?
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by TNBT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:05 pm

jem3cerna wrote:I heard Brian Anderson was involved in the deal???

I read that as well. I hope he's not in the deal, because I value him and Fields and the other top youngsters more than I value a 38 year old, especially one that we don't really even need.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#13 » by TNBT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:11 pm

I read this on the White Sox website:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/ar ... p&c_id=cws

The Reds will receive right-handed pitcher Nick Masset and second baseman Danny Richar, a source said.

I don't know a lot about our young talent other than guys like Anderson and Fields. Can someone tell me a bit about these guys we are supposedly trading? How good are they? What sort of potential do they have?
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#14 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:48 pm

Richar was obtained from Arizona last year for Aaron Cunningham who looked to be a decent OF prospect. He is pretty raw, but some people thought he could turn out to be a Robinson Cano type hitter. He hasn't put it together and quickly fell out of favor with Ozzie because of him not reporting to camp on time due to requesting a Visa the day before he was supposed to report.

Nick Masset was the other major portion of the Brandon McCarthy trade. Supposedly he had a wicked curve and threw a tick below Bobby Jenks' 100mph fastball. So far, I haven't seen him sniff 100mph since putting on the uniform. He's been pretty inconsistent and he has no more options. He dominated the Mexican Winter League which is what made KW gush about him.

Both guys don't look like they'll ever live up to their potential. At that though, their potentials aren't that high. Masset is a potential setup man and Richar is a potential #8 hitter on a good team. He's very mechanical for a 2B.

Great part is, we only have to pay him half of his deal.
klvanzu
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by klvanzu » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:07 pm

You want to trade our best hitter for years to come and a potential ace for a top of the rotation starter? We already have two top starters in floyd and danks. Quentin's year is not a fluke either. Scouts across baseball say he's a very smart hitter and has one of the quickest swings in the game right now, similar to daunte bichette.
jem3cerna
Banned User

Post#16 » by jem3cerna » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:09 pm

Yea agree on the descriptions of both player by nitetrain8603. Richar was suppost to be Cano type but he just went down after that visa problems. Masset I have never been a big fan. So now that the Reds have sent us Jr. and 4 million dollars they are paying him for the rest of the season, who are the Sox in talks with? Any update on the Huston Street rumors????? Hopefully we can get him as well we are ineed of a good, young, fresh arm. Who might the A's want in return besides Poreda? Maybe send them Brad Eldred, McDoulge and Wise.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#17 » by Shootdabull » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:18 pm

The Reds will receive right-handed pitcher Nick Masset and second baseman Danny Richar, a source said.

I don't know a lot about our young talent other than guys like Anderson and Fields. Can someone tell me a bit about these guys we are supposedly trading? How good are they? What sort of potential do they have?[/quote]

To add onto Nitetrains comments, which I think are pretty good. Masset didn't pitch very well for us in AAA, and has shown some glimpes of potential, but not enough to have a lot of confidence in him. With no more options this maybe a good move for both sides, as maybe the change of scenery will due him some good. Danny has been in the minors for 5+ and has shown he can hit for a good average with some power. If he can carry that over to the bigs he can be a decent player. I dont think either are tapped to be future all-stars, but they could end up being decent pick up for the Reds.

For us I think both those guys are replaceable so I like this move. Kenny is giving our struggling bats a shot in the arm. I realize KG is not the player he once was, but hitting at .250 is a nice upgrade.
northbrookrich
Veteran

Post#18 » by northbrookrich » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:21 pm

klvanzu wrote:

You want to trade our best hitter for years to come and a potential ace for a top of the rotation starter? We already have two top starters in floyd and danks. Quentin's year is not a fluke either. Scouts across baseball say he's a very smart hitter and has one of the quickest swings in the game right now, similar to daunte bichette.

You have to give to get. The White Sox do not have a true #1 pitcher on their team. When the Red Sox roll out Beckett or the Angels roll out Lackey in the playoffs, I would rather have someone better than Buerle to compete. If Buerle jumps down to the #2 and everyone else moves down a slot, the whole starting pitching comparisons get better. Buerle can compete strongly with most team's #2s. In the playoffs, you need pitching to win. A top of the rotation starter is much much more important than even the best hitters. The White Sox have plenty of solid hitters, they are one of the top teams in the league in scoring.

Also, are you really ready after not even a full season to claim that Quentin will be the White Sox best hitter for years to come? What are you 12? Every year there are players that come into the league and do well until the pitchers start to learn their weaknesses. Now, this may or may not be the case with Quentin. But, the odds are against him. And, come on, are Danks and Floyd really potnetial aces? Maybe. But, potential only gets you so far.

But, back on topic, this was a steal of a deal. The White Sox gave up nothing of value and Cincy is paying half his salary and half his buyout. It's a no risk insurance policy even if the Sox don't make any more moves.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#19 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 pm

jem3cerna wrote:Yea agree on the descriptions of both player by nitetrain8603. Richar was suppost to be Cano type but he just went down after that visa problems. Masset I have never been a big fan. So now that the Reds have sent us Jr. and 4 million dollars they are paying him for the rest of the season, who are the Sox in talks with? Any update on the Huston Street rumors????? Hopefully we can get him as well we are ineed of a good, young, fresh arm. Who might the A's want in return besides Poreda? Maybe send them Brad Eldred, McDoulge and Wise.

Well if the 4-way is done, Orlando Cabrera would most likely be gone. The Sox have been trying to unload him since the whole "error" issue back in Toronto and he pissed off alot of people with the self proclaimed leader stuff.

Apparently, Oakland wants alot though so it doesn't look like Huston will be traded. Sox are apparently hot on John Lannan's tail. He's a SP for Washington who looks pretty good, but he's just on a poopy team.

There is an open spot on the 40 man roster now, so I wonder what the Sox will do with that.
nitetrain8603
RealGM

Post#20 » by nitetrain8603 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:55 pm

nycrich wrote:
klvanzu wrote:

You have to give to get. The White Sox do not have a true #1 pitcher on their team. When the Red Sox roll out Beckett or the Angels roll out Lackey in the playoffs, I would rather have someone better than Buerle to compete. If Buerle jumps down to the #2 and everyone else moves down a slot, the whole starting pitching comparisons get better. Buerle can compete strongly with most team's #2s. In the playoffs, you need pitching to win. A top of the rotation starter is much much more important than even the best hitters. The White Sox have plenty of solid hitters, they are one of the top teams in the league in scoring.

Also, are you really ready after not even a full season to claim that Quentin will be the White Sox best hitter for years to come? What are you 12? Every year there are players that come into the league and do well until the pitchers start to learn their weaknesses. Now, this may or may not be the case with Quentin. But, the odds are against him. And, come on, are Danks and Floyd really potnetial aces? Maybe. But, potential only gets you so far.

But, back on topic, this was a steal of a deal. The White Sox gave up nothing of value and Cincy is paying half his salary and half his buyout. It's a no risk insurance policy even if the Sox don't make any more moves.

Well I disagree. Back in '05 we really didn't have any aces. It was just a matter of Conteras getting hot. I doubt you were super confident in him during even the all star break that year with him. Sox weren't either and tried for AJ Burnett. The Sox don't have a Doc Halladay or a Josh Beckett, but they do have a deep rotation. They have guys with the stuff. Some are proven and some are not.

And Quentin was always projected to be a top hitter. His minor league numbers suggest that. Scouts have said so. Only reason why anyone acts shocked by him being good is because he stunk next year. The thing is, he was injured and no one discusses that. I'm thinking Quentin is a pretty safe bet to be an All-Star type player every year, providing he doesn't get injured. He's that powerful and that smart.

Return to Chicago White Sox