ImageImageImageImage

Madness? This is Amaro!

Lando12
Freshman
And1: 0

Madness? This is Amaro! 

Post#1 » by Lando12 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:35 pm

So Ryan Howard gets 25 million per year through his mid 30s. What a horrible, horrible thing to do. First of all, Howard may not be worth that money right now. Howard has put up 19.2 WAR over the past 4 seasons. Is a five win player worth 25 million? Choo was a five win player last year. Would anyone be comfortable with paying 25 million for that? That brings us to the main problem. If Howard isn't really worth the money now, how ugly is that number going to be as he ages? He's a TTO kind of player, so I don't imagine that he'll age gracefully. This contract has unmatched albatross potential.

This extension also calls some of Amaro's other moves into question. Amaro traded Lee for a less than exciting prospect haul. Supposedly, it needed to be done to save money and replenish the farm system. Clearly, the money issue is crap. No team that has its back against the wall would be willing to take this kind of financial risk. Lee's $8 million salary could not have been that big of a deal, seeing as how the Phillies gave Blanton a 3 year, $24 million deal. Sure, Blanton's deal is a little backloaded, but come on. If the Phillies had held onto Lee, they could have dealt Blanton to make space in the rotation. They would not have gotten a package as good as Aumont, Ramirez, and Gillies, but they wouldn't have done that much worse. Teams are holding onto elite prospects, but the B/C+ types are still readily available. Long term money to keep Lee would certainly be available.

The Phillies could have put together a very, very good team and kept it in place for the long haul. Instead, they chose to get cheap right before they decided to splurge on the next David Ortiz. Atlanta should send them some kind of thank you note.
The lines are drawn, the orders are in, the Dance Commander's ready to sin. Radio message from HQ: Dance Commander, we love you
DavidMcGr
Freshman

Re: Madness? This is Amaro! 

Post#2 » by DavidMcGr » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Sometimes big market do stupid things because they can. While I can point at how stupid something like this is, it's probably better to relish in it and hope that big market teams continue to make these sorts of mistakes.
http://sabrtribe.blogspot.com - Someday I'll have more time and write something with substance again.
FordPrefect
Ballboy

Post#3 » by FordPrefect » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 pm

I get the feeling Amaro loves to spend future money and then is shocked when people ask why he has to skimp on the present (Lee). His tenure as GM will not end well.
Lando12
Freshman

Post#4 » by Lando12 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:20 pm

I think that sometime in the next few years the Phillies are going to find out just how little people care about the face of the franchise. Howard may be wildly popular now, but that will change very quickly if he declines.

It sure seems like Amaro put his heart in front of his head on this one.
The lines are drawn, the orders are in, the Dance Commander's ready to sin. Radio message from HQ: Dance Commander, we love you
DavidMcGr
Freshman

Post#5 » by DavidMcGr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:52 pm

I just don't think he was thinking. Even if you're putting your heart first he could've waited 3 years and likely paid less as nothing points to him getting better and thus increasing his contract demands.
http://sabrtribe.blogspot.com - Someday I'll have more time and write something with substance again.

Return to Cleveland Indians