LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

Sabathia, Hafner, Westbrook, Wedge contract info from the PD 

Post#1 » by LoveThemCavs » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:30 am

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/0 ... hia_o.html

PAUL HOYNES

Plain Dealer Reporter

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. -- News, sights and sounds from Indians spring training.

No deals: GM Mark Shapiro will continue to negotiate with potential free agents Jake Westbrook and Travis Hafner, but any discussions on a contract extension for C.C. Sabathia will have to wait until the end of the season.

Shapiro also confirmed today that he will not discuss a contract with manager Eric Wedge until the end of the year.

It's all going to depend on this season with all of these guys. I think they all genuinely want to be here. Of course the mighty dollar can change all their minds, as we've found out many times with players. I like all these players so I hope we get them inked long term. Wedge, I'm not sold on yet. He doesn't make me want him fired or anything, just not sure if he's the guy that'll get these players to that next level.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#2 » by B Mac » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:39 am

My guess is we lock up two of them.

I honestly think Hafner will be the easiest. I might be falling into the same trap as with Jim Thome but Pronk just seems like one of those small town guys that truly just wants to stay here. On top of that his girl is also a Cleveland girl and I think that would have some influence. Also with all of the youth the Indians have he is guarenteed of at least a team that will compete for the next few years.

Westbrook and CC are a toss up. CC is going to be looking for top dollar. He already took one "hometown discount" to resign with us last time and has gone on record stating this contract is about making money so it is going to take A LOT to resign him. With all of the money we have been trying to give away to free agents the last two offseasons you would think that money would still be there but who knows. Jake will obviously be cheaper than CC, but if we dont resign Jake then CC is almost a must.

You also have to look at the young arms we have, and with Miller, Carmona, and Sowers in the future we can probably afford to let one walk if we need to.
GreenDemon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by GreenDemon » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:15 am

I have a feeling that you are probably right with us signing two of the three and I just have a feeling that it will be CC and Hafner. Westbrook is definatly a quality starter but I just think that when healthy CC is one of the top starters and he is still young with that. Even with Westbrook possibly leaving like you said we could easily have Miller step into the rotation without any real drop off IMO.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#4 » by B Mac » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:44 am

Ideally we'd like to resign them all and then be able to trade Westbrook if and when the time is right. You can never have too much pitching.
beater97
Starter
And1: 2

Post#5 » by beater97 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:48 am

If they let one of CC or Hafner walk (which I highly doubt they will) I would be stunned.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

Post#6 » by LoveThemCavs » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Well they got Jake under contract, but I'm reading the Indians official site now. They say contract talks with both CC and Pronk are on hold until after this year. I feel alot better about Hafner getting a deal than CC though I hope to get both signed.

Return to Cleveland Indians