ImageImageImageImage

May 1-3, Toronto Blue Jays series

LoveThemCavs
Analyst
And1: 143

May 1-3, Toronto Blue Jays series 

Post#1 » by LoveThemCavs » Tue May 1, 2007 11:01 pm

Tuesday, May 1
A.J. Burnett, RHP (2-1, 4.18 ) vs C.C. Sabathia, LHP (3-0, 3.18 )

Scouting Report:
Blue Jays: Burnett allowed 11 earned runs in 14 innings in his first three starts of the season. Since then, the right-hander has yielded just two runs in his past 14 innings -- good enough for a 1.29 ERA over two starts. In Burnett's outing on Thursday night at Yankee Stadium, he spun seven shutout innings for the win. He struck out five, walked four and gave up just four hits in the performance, which was easily his best of the season. Burnett is 1-2 with a 7.27 ERA in three career games against the Indians and 0-2 with an 11.12 ERA at Jacobs Field.

Indians: Sabathia pitched brilliantly through five scoreless innings on Wednesday, facing just one hitter over the minimum. But the bottom entirely fell out in the sixth when the strapping lefty gave up five runs on six straight hits. The Tribe still prevailed, but Sabathia lost out on becoming the club's first pitcher since 2004 to start a season 4-0. Sabathia is 5-3 with a 3.62 ERA in eight career starts against the Jays.

Wednesday, May 2
Victor Zambrano, RHP (0-1, 5.06) vs Jake Westbrook, RHP (1-2, 7.96)

Scouting Report:
Blue Jays: Zambrano is set to make his first start of the season. He is replacing No. 5 starter Josh Towers (1-3, 4.70), who was pulled from the rotation after a rough start to the season. Zambrano, who is coming off of Tommy John surgery, has only pitched 5 1/3 innings out of the bullpen so far this year and is expected to be on a low pitch count while the Jays work on stretching out his arm. In two career starts versus the Indians, Zambrano is 0-1 with a 5.79 ERA.

Indians: The Indians will take advantage of Monday's off-day by reorganizing their rotation. Jake Westbrook will move back to the No. 2 spot of the rotation, behind C.C. Sabathia, where he sat before the slew of snow postponements earlier this month. After a rough start to the season, Westbrook has looked much better lately. On Friday, he held the Orioles to three runs on six hits over 6 1/3 innings, walking one and striking out five. Two of the runs credited to Westbrook were given up by the bullpen.

Thursday, May 3
Dustin McGowan, RHP (0-0, -.--) vs Cliff Lee, LHP (0-0, -.--)

Scouting Report:
Blue Jays: On Monday, Toronto placed left-hander Gustavo Chacin on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left shoulder. McGowan, who last started on Saturday for Triple-A Syracuse, will take Chacin's spot in the Blue Jays rotation. In five starts this year with the Chiefs, McGowan was 0-2 with a 1.64 ERA, 29 strikeouts and nine walks over 22 innings. McGowan is 0-1 with a 7.20 ERA in his career against the Indians, but he has never pitched at Jacobs Field.

Indians: Left-hander Cliff Lee made his fourth and final rehab start Friday at Double-A Akron, holding Reading to two hits with a walk and seven strikeouts over five scoreless innings. His return to the rotation after suffering a strained right abdominal muscle in Spring Training is imminent, and the Indians might call upon him to start this game. Otherwise, they might opt to have Jeremy Sowers close out the homestand.
GreenDemon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#2 » by GreenDemon » Wed May 2, 2007 12:06 am

Well it looks like Carmona was the won that got sent down, it is to bad because I think we should have kept him up here in some way to see if his hot streak countiued. At least now we know it we get a good trade offer for a guy like Lee or Westbrook we have a guy that should be able to come in and take his place, espesially with Miller being ready as well. Its good to have so much starting pitching. 8)
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#3 » by LoveThemCavs » Wed May 2, 2007 1:38 am

Yea I wish we could have kept Carmona on the roster too. His confidence seemed at all time high for him and would have liked to seen us stick with him. Stay sharp Fausto, never know how quick you get called back up if someone goes down.

CC got rocked in the first inning by the Jays for 3 homers. Thought it would be a rough night, then we got the rain delay. CC is rollin' now with 9 K's through 6 innings. Thats probably the end of the night for him, he's at 101 pitches. Tribe is up 7-3. Jhonny Peralta is having a hell of a game too with 5 RBI. Burnett gave up 7 runs in 5 innings for the Jays tonight.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#4 » by TheOUTLAW » Wed May 2, 2007 3:02 am

The Indians now have the best record in all of baseball.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#5 » by L&H_05 » Wed May 2, 2007 7:58 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:The Indians now have the best record in all of baseball.
Behind the Brewers...

Hopefully this offense keeps mashing the ball... RISP is so key though...
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#6 » by LoveThemCavs » Thu May 3, 2007 1:12 am

Terrible stuff from Jason Davis tonight. He's had a solid year so far, but he just blew it. Comes in with a 1 run lead and basically walks 3 runs in for the Blue Jays. I cannot stand watching pitchers do that crap. Atleast let them hit them in if you're gonna give up runs. Toronto is a decent offense, no need to give them free ones. Going into the bottom of the 5th now down 4-2.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#7 » by LoveThemCavs » Thu May 3, 2007 1:14 am

Also Westbrook left the game in the second inning with an unknown injury. We may see Carmona up before he even makes it to Buffalo.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#8 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu May 3, 2007 3:26 am

Another Indians win. We are not 16-8 having won 3 in a row.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#9 » by B Mac » Fri May 4, 2007 12:42 am

Delucci has officially proven himself to me. The way he got up in the face of Phillips after Phillips decided to talk trash to Barfield, for who knows what reason, really impressed me. Then to top that off he makes a great diving catch and rips a double which he scores off of one batter later. Thats the way to get back at them.

Can someone tell me what the hell Phillips was doing on that play?
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by B Mac » Fri May 4, 2007 1:52 am

L&H_05
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#11 » by L&H_05 » Fri May 4, 2007 2:13 am

ImageImageImage
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by B Mac » Fri May 4, 2007 2:15 am

Dont look now fellas but we've got ourselves a damn good ball team. Could be a magical season. (severely knocks on wood)
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#13 » by LoveThemCavs » Fri May 4, 2007 3:19 am

Cliff pitched okay for his first start of the year. With the bullpen used up pretty good last night, he got us 6 innings and kept the team in the game. I liked Delluci sticking up for Barfield too. I don't know what the hell Phillips thought he was doing. He made a good play, acted like AJ Pierzynski on that play. Delluci stepped his game after that, props to him. Victor has been making teams pay for pitching around Pronk. He did it again tonight with two clutch hits. VMart was 4 for 4 tonight. Grady is hitting the ball hard but they are typically right at people. Good to see him get one to fall in the gap for the game winning hit. We are sitting here on a roll with winning 10 of our last 11 games. If the bullpen keeps this up, we'll definately be in the hunt all year. Go Tribe!

Return to Cleveland Indians