Analyst
And1: 143

May 4-7, Baltimore Orioles series 

Post#1 » by LoveThemCavs » Fri May 4, 2007 3:42 am

Image(17-8 ) at Image(12-16)

Camden Yards in Baltimore, MD

Dimensions

Friday, May 4------------ 7:05pm
Paul Byrd, RHP (2-1, 3.50) vs Erik Bedard, LHP (3-2, 6.09)

Scouting Report:
Indians: Byrd got off to a spectacular start -- the right-hander carried a no-hitter through 4 2/3 innings during the home-opener snowout and tossed six scoreless innings in his first official start -- but has struggled a bit lately. The 36-year-old has allowed nine runs -- seven earned -- on 18 hits over his last 11 innings. And it doesn't get any easier. Byrd is 1-4 with a 4.73 ERA in five career starts against Baltimore.

Orioles: Bedard has allowed at least four earned runs in four of his six starts. The southpaw struck out 11 batters in his Saturday outing, one off his career high. Bedard will get an extra day of rest prior to this start thanks to a regularly scheduled off-day. He's 2-0 with a 3.10 ERA lifetime against the Indians.

Saturday, May 5----------- 7:05pm
Jeremy Sowers, LHP (0-1, 4.40) vs Daniel Cabrera, RHP (1-3, 4.50)

Scouting Report:
Indians: Sowers will be facing the Orioles for the second time in less than a week. On Saturday in a bizarre game the Indians placed under protest, Sowers held the O's to three runs -- two earned -- on six hits over six innings. The young left-hander has hardly overwhelmed so far, but he has managed to put together four quality starts in five appearances. In two career starts against Baltimore, Sowers is 0-1 with an 8.38 ERA.

Orioles: Cabrera went just five innings in his last start against the Tigers and continued to battle control problems. He walked six and had two wild pitches, including a hit batter that caused both benches and bullpens to empty. Cabrera is fine as long as his control isn't an issue, but it usually is one.

Sunday, May 6------------- 1:35pm
C.C. Sabathia, LHP (4-0, 3.38 ) vs Adam Loewen, LHP (2-0, 3.56)

Scouting Report:
Indians: Sabathia is the first Indians pitcher to begin a season with a 4-0 record since Cliff Lee in 2004, and the Indians are 6-0 this season in games he's started. Against the Blue Jays on May 1, he had the roughest of beginnings, as he was torched for three solo home runs in the first inning. But he was able to settle down from that point, retiring 16 of the last 17 batters he faced, striking out nine along the way. When the Jays pounced on his fastball, he kept them off-balance with his cutter and changeup for the remainder of his six innings of work.

Orioles: Loewen pitched well in his last game, but had to leave after five innings with tightness in his forearm. The injury is not considered serious, though manager Sam Perlozzo and the training staff will likely monitor Loewen closely to make sure the injury doesn't develop into something more serious. He looked good in his first four innings against the Tigers, but a three-run fifth and the threat of injury in cold conditions meant an early exit.

Monday, May 7------------- 12:35pm
Fausto Carmona, RHP (2-1, 3.76) vs Steve Trachsel, RHP (1-3, 4.08 )

Scouting Report:
Indians: Jake Westbrook looks to be heading for the disabled list after leaving his Wednesday night start in the second inning with tightness in his upper ribcage area. If Westbrook indeed cannot go, the call will likely go to Carmona. The 23-year-old right-hander, optioned to Triple-A Buffalo on Tuesday with the return of Cliff Lee from the DL, would hardly be a drop off. Carmona was the Tribe's finest starter over the past three weeks. And in his last outing against the O's on April 29, Carmona was brilliant in coming just two outs shy of a complete-game shutout.

Orioles: Trachsel pitched seven innings and allowed three earned runs in his last start, but he came out on the losing end of the decision. Trachsel has pitched into the sixth inning in every start but one this season, and he's allowed three earned runs or less five times. The veteran has thrown more than 100 pitches in each of his last three starts. With Jaret Wright injured and Adam Loewen feeling some pain in his arm, the Orioles will lean heavily on Daniel Cabrera, Erik Bedard and Trachsel to get deep in games.

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cle
GreenDemon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#2 » by GreenDemon » Fri May 4, 2007 7:54 am

Looks like Fausto wont miss a start after all, obviously I would have liked to see him up under better circumstances but I want to see if he can stay in the groove that he is in. I just got to say that is so nice having depth in starting pitching espesially when it is at at a high quality as well.

This series will be the beginning of a road trip and it will be intresting to see if we can countiue to keep winning series, I defiantly think we can take this one from Baltimore, espeiaslly with our two hottest pitchers, pitching at the end of the series.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#3 » by LoveThemCavs » Sat May 5, 2007 11:16 pm

Should have won last night, but Borowski lost the lead. I'm not wanting him replaced yet or anything. But if it comes down to it later in the year, we might need to deal some prospects for a closer. The bats aren't even in full swing yet so that's a good sign. The way the Orioles have been playing going into this series though, I am hoping for 2 or 3 wins out of this 4 game set.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#4 » by B Mac » Sun May 6, 2007 8:08 pm

Vic took a nassty shot off his throwing arm off the bat of Tejada today. You could see the purple welt forming literally within seconds. He's staying in the game but I wouldnt be surprised if he was done for the day and might get a few days off because of it.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by B Mac » Mon May 7, 2007 6:06 pm

Carmona is getting screwed today. So many tough luck hits going the O's way. Carmona has actually pitched really well, just the O's have luck on their side so far.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by B Mac » Mon May 7, 2007 7:50 pm

Indians win 10-1.

Good to see Trot Nixon get creamed after the game haha.

A series split, Ill take that after the way the series started. Still have only lost one series. Lets go get the Angels.
LoveThemCavs
Analyst

Post#7 » by LoveThemCavs » Mon May 7, 2007 10:50 pm

After such a horrid start to this series, alot of postive things came out in the end. I don't want to see Carmona sent back down when Westbrook gets off the DL. Which is likely to be about a month from now. The kid took his lumps last year and his confidence seems very high. If he could face the Orioles or Yanks every time, he'd be in the Cy Young race.. lol.. Trot has been on fire at the plate the past two games. Also Barfield is starting to hit now too. Sizemore and Hafner have been slumping yet the Tribe is still winning. So it was great to see Hafner get a big grand slam. Maybe that will settle him down, I've seen him swinging at pitches he normally doesn't chase. Not only that Jhonny's swing looks real good. Sure he's only batting .250, but he doesn't seem lost at the plate like last year. I expect him to hit around .280 for the year. Garko seems to be struggling at the plate too. So while still winning, our bats are capable of going off at any time. I'll take this split series and be happy with it. Now we gotta go out west for the Angels and Athletics.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by B Mac » Tue May 8, 2007 3:04 am

Speaking of Peralta... Did you see that diving play he made today? Unbelievable play. I grew immune to plays like that with O at short for so long, but seeing Jhonny make that play made my day.
GreenDemon
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#9 » by GreenDemon » Tue May 8, 2007 3:33 am

It defiantly nice that we can rest easy even when cause Hafner and Sizemore are playing as good as they can since it seems as though their is always someone that is catching fire. Now if they all just catch fire at the same time in late September then we wont have to worry about much. ;)

Return to Cleveland Indians