ImageImageImageImage

Ka-Blammo

ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Ka-Blammo 

Post#1 » by ElectricMayhem » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:31 pm

For the longest time, we have been adding pieces to keep us competitive and to allow us to go further in the playoffs. We've been close a couple times with the current group, but never gone all the way. Is it time to start making trades in the other direction now? We could restock our barren farm system and get young stars from teams wanting to compete now.

Is it time to say farewell to our veterans and look forward to a better future 5 years from now, or does this group still have enough in them to keep making runs?
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Ka-Blammo 

Post#2 » by m23uza1hem36 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:25 am

Tough to say. I don't think Illitch would want to see that, but this team doesn't seem built for a postseason run. Our strongest unit the past few years has been our pitching, and unfortunately, besides Price, every night seems up for grabs this year.

Anibal has really disappointed, although he's pitched a little better recently-JV doesn't seem like he will ever return anywhere near to the form he was in 2-3 years ago, hopefully we get some good consistent play out of him though. I just don't know about Simone, and Greene has been an incredible disappointment after his hot start.

On top of that, our offense has really struggled-playing like the JR Smith of baseball, some nights (like today) we rack up runs like nothing, others we can't hit with risp if our lives depended on it.

To answer your question however, I expect a trade to attempt to bolster our starting pitching to push the team forward, rather than stock up on farm players.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Re: Ka-Blammo 

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 pm

At this point its time to face some tough realities with the team we have right now. The realities are as follows:

1) Our current group isn't good enough to contend for titles, not even in the way we have for the last few years. Our pitching is too flimsy, our highest paid stars are too injury prone, etc.

2) We have 2 major free agents upcoming, neither of which have much of a reason to stay in the current situation. Price is gone at the end of the year (that was probably true regardless of what we did this year) and Cespedes will probably follow him out the door.

3) We have the worst farm system in baseball. We've used those prospects to keep us in contention. We've viewed our farm system as a way to acquire established talent, and now we'll be paying the bills for that, as help is not on the way.

Need to make some moves. Don't trade Iglesius, he's too valuable and can be part of a rebuild given his age. Probably can't trade Cabrera or Verlander with their massive contracts. Anyone else should be fair game.

And yes, above all dealing Price and Cespedes should be priorities. Take that first step towards restocking the farm system, which is desperately needed. Right now our situation absolutely screams rebuild, and we need to face that.

I agree with m23 that we're more likely to try to go the other way, though, even though our prospects are awful which places some pretty definite limits on what we can get.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM

Post#4 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:03 pm

All the articles I've read seem to imply that we should trade Price and Cespedes and regroup for next year. Regroup for next year? With what? If we're the same team next year minus Price and Cespedes, we're not competing for anything. We do need to trade those guys, but we also realize this isn't going to be a one year turn around. We should be aiming for 3-4 years down the road. That may not be what we like to hear, but it's what we need. Hold on to our young talent and trade anyone and everyone else for prospects.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#5 » by Manocad » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:30 am

This team looks like it has given up. My complaint with the Tigers the last few years is that they relied on talent alone to win games and never showed the heart/grit necessary to grind out tough games on a consistent basis. And this year appears to be no different.

For the future, if I were the powers-that-be I'd just ride it out as-is, knowing it's going to be bad. Any deal made now in desperation to make the playoffs will only get them fleeced by other teams. And if other teams come calling with their own desperation moves, try to fleece them. Verlander and Cabrera are obviously here to stay. Sanchez doesn't have a horrible contract but unless he shows better consistency I'm not sure anyone will come calling for him. Price and Cespedes would be rental players so it's unlikely anyone calls for them either. So my list of keep or stuck with looks like this:
Verlander
Cabrera
VMart
Sanchez
Soria
JD Martinez (I think he's the real deal; he generates a TON of power without a violent swing which indicates true hitting ability)
McCann (I think he's going to be a solid big leaguer and it's time for Avila to move to the bench)
Iglesias (untouchable)
Rondone (need that power arm out of the pen)
Gose (on the fringe here; I like the kid but if someone gets crazy about needing defense in center...you never know)

Anyone else can go for the right price. If the price sucks, stand pat knowing it's going to be what it's going to be.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#6 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 5, 2015 5:11 am

And it's going to be what it's going to be. Thanks Dave. Peace out.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:23 am

I don't like the decision (if they even had a choice to let him go).

I also don't like that Alex Avila's dad is his replacement. If Alex gets a new extension I'm gonna be all kinds of pissed.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#8 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:50 pm

If Avila Jr. gets a contract extension that's anything more than relegating him to the bench, I will charge Comerica park with a torch and a pitchfork.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Aug 6, 2015 2:29 am

My first assumption was that Dombrowski must have come to Illitch with some absurdly high contract demands or flat out said he wouldn't be back next year, but from his comments, that doesn't seem to be the case at all. How do you let this guy go? He made the Expos amazing on a shoestring budget. He got the Marlins championships under similar conditions. He took us from the laughing stock of the MLB to becoming contenders year in and year out. There were mistakes here and there, but the guy mad amazing trades and brought in some incredible talent.

I'm in town, though, and taking the family to tomorrow's game. Kind of a strange time to watch the Tigers play.

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:30 am

Yeah, I'm in agreement with you there.

Dombrowski was great and will be sorely missed. I feel pretty pessimistic about the future of the franchise. I hope I'm wrong.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#11 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:59 am

This season is officially a disaster. The team is unwatchable at this point. The whole coaching staff needs to be replaced and I don't mean that as a knee-jerk reaction. I played baseball, know baseball, and this coaching staff isn't getting it done. Young hitters aren't developing, pitchers aren't developing, the baserunning sucks, and Ausmus has been disappointing as a manager. That being said, I don't advocate dumping anyone for the sake of dumping them. If there isn't a better replacement out there you stick with what you've got, but when you've got a whole coaching staff that's deficient I have to believe you can find better replacements for some if not all of them.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:29 am

The team is still sorta watchable when Verlander starts.

But yeah, generally speaking you're right. I also think all indications are that the coaching staff will be replaced, for better or worse.

Return to Detroit Tigers