ImageImageImageImage

Leyland Out/New Manager

Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Leyland Out/New Manager 

Post#1 » by Lionlifer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Our boy Jim has stepped down as manager, says he didn't have enough fuel in the tank.

For some of you, let the rejoycing being. I'm just worried that they might give the job to LaMont *cringe*

Some targets I've seen to replace him are Gibson, Ausmus, and the Sox/Yankees bench coaches.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Re: Leyland Out/New Manager 

Post#2 » by DETermination » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:29 pm

I vote for bobby higginson or brandon inge :D
Detroit vs Everybody
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#3 » by joseph mamah » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:50 pm

im glad Leylands finally gone, we needed a new voice in the clubhouse. im also glad he retired seemingly on his own terms and wasn't fired, I think he deserved that much.

Gibbys probably the guy I want if Larussa doesn't want the job, but I wouldn't mind Dusty.

Edit- after looking over a few candidate lists I think Ozzie would be a good get, he'd light a fire under the boys.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#4 » by Lionlifer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:14 pm

Nice quote from Jim, always loved him for a sound bite:

"If I went out tomorrow, I wouldn't care how any of you guys felt, I would feel like I went out on top," he said in March. "I was a backup Double A catcher who hit (bleeping) .222. I've managed in the big leagues 22 years, with a world title, division titles, American League championships. Now, what the (heck)?"
Bartender
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Bartender » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:49 pm

I will be soooo mad if Dusty is our new skip. He doesnt belong in the majors anymore.
TSE wrote:Wow I actually like this trade, good job Mayhew!
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#6 » by Lionlifer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 pm

Bartender wrote:I will be soooo mad if Dusty is our new skip. He doesnt belong in the majors anymore.

I haven't seen him listed as a target, lets hope it stays that way..
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:08 am

We've been linked to Torey Lovullo, the Red Sox bench coach, who I would be very happy with. Ausmus is fine too. Just as long as it isn't someone currently associated with the team (Lloyd or Brookens).
joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Post#8 » by joseph mamah » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:27 pm

I hope McClendon was just a courtesy interview, we definitely need some new blood around here.

yeah, after looking into it Dusty might not be the best choice, but I still think we need a somewhat proven, experienced manager. I don't know if a rookie manager will be able to command the respect of our clubhouse.

I want Ozzie, but I know its never going to happen. I think his fire is what this teams been missing the last few years.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 am

I just hope Ilitch doesn't insist on a "name" hire.

The best choice probably isn't a household name.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 3, 2013 4:20 pm

Well, he certainly didn't insist on a "name" hire, unless a former defensive catcher with no managing or coaching experience at the big league level constitutes a "name" hire.

Welcome, Brad Ausmus.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ajaX82 » Sun Nov 3, 2013 10:21 pm

Snakebites wrote:Well, he certainly didn't insist on a "name" hire, unless a former defensive catcher with no managing or coaching experience at the big league level constitutes a "name" hire.

Welcome, Brad Ausmus.

I really like it. He's a guy like Matheny; never a star or anything close, just a smart ballplayer. I like going outside the box and bringing in some new life. We could use it.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Sun Nov 3, 2013 10:34 pm

Yeah, its nice in theory.

Tough to know what we've really got until you see it out there. Just because he's a player similar to what Matheny was doesn't mean he's going to be the same sort of manager.

I do like that they didn't just go with an "easy" hire and pick one of the retreads though. I'm somewhat optimistic.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#13 » by Lionlifer » Mon Nov 4, 2013 4:23 am

Sharp guy with ties to detroit, love the fact we did our homework.

He was real hot in the rumor mill, so we weren't the only ones chasing him for his services. Should be interesting to see how a rookie manager does with a team that is world series or bust.

I'm excited, I really think he will do a better job managing the pitching staff than our boy Jim did.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ajaX82 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:12 am

I love the guys Ausmus is bringing on to his staff. Joyner as hitting coach is a real underrated move. The big one is Omar Vizquel to work with the infielders...I mean how dreamy is that? The work he will do with Castellanos and especially Iglesias is going to be remarkable

Return to Detroit Tigers