ImageImageImageImage

Prince traded

m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Prince traded  

Post#1 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:54 am

Reports are we have traded Prince to Texas for Kinsler pending physical. Guessing we use free'd up money to sign Max to extension? Thoughts?
Follow @mouzaihem
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Re: Prince traded 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:27 am

I'm glad he's gone.

His salary to Wins Above Replacement ratio was abysmal. He was a second rate first baseman at best, a terrible playoff performer, and frankly I was unimpressed in general. Not ever close to worth what he was being paid.

Even if Kinsler isn't that great I think guaranteeing we have financial flexibility to keep Max alone makes it worth it.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#3 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:53 am

We lost talent, but it was a great trade to make. Cabrera should be at 1st base, while Kinsler isn't what he used to be, he'll still provide great production for a 2nd baseman, and we'll get to see how Castellanos does playing full time. More importantly, it speaks well to our chances of keeping Cabrera and Scherzer long term.

Also, if you think about the fact that we signed Fielder for 2 of his prime years (at an exorbitant amount, but still...), that ended up being a good investment instead of the long term drag it was predicted to be.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#4 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:34 pm

We need to sign a player to protect Miggy. Its not a coincidence that Cabera nearly won the triple crown twice since fielder came on board. However what we lost on offense we more than make up for on defense. Kinsler is probably the best 2nd baseman we've had in quite some time , but the value is that we move miggy back to first where he'll last longer as a player and Nick C. to 3rd which is a automatic upgrade defensively. Not to mention the financial flexibility we pick up.

Honestly with fielders weight issues and tax on his body and lack of production in the post season, this is nothing but a good thing for detroit.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#5 » by Sheeeeed » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:45 pm

Martinez can protect Miggy, though I wouldn't mind seeing them sign Beltran and plug him in the 4th spot.

Apparently Austin Jackson is on the block too, so it sounds like the Tigers definitely are looking to make towards the outfield.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#6 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:Martinez can protect Miggy, though I wouldn't mind seeing them sign Beltran and plug him in the 4th spot.

Apparently Austin Jackson is on the block too, so it sounds like the Tigers definitely are looking to make towards the outfield.

i love beltran, but i don't know if he still generates enough power to protect anyone. as much as i love martinez, his health worries me. i would love to get Granderson back .
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#7 » by Sheeeeed » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:06 am

Granderson coming back would be interesting. I'm not sure you can really expect to generate the same power in Comerica Park that he showed in Yankee stadium.

So far the only outfielder connect to the Tigers is Shin-Soo Choo, so maybe they're content with Martinez behind Miggy.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#8 » by DETermination » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:24 am

I love the trade, now lets extend scherzer and miggy, sign joe nathan and one of choo/elssbury/beltran.
Detroit vs Everybody
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am

The bullpen seems to me to be the place we're likely to invest money (apart from extending our guys).

We could definitely use another bat, but I wouldn't be surprised if we go in with what we've got.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#10 » by ajaX82 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 am

Snakebites wrote:I'm glad he's gone.

His salary to Wins Above Replacement ratio was abysmal. He was a second rate first baseman at best, a terrible playoff performer, and frankly I was unimpressed in general. Not ever close to worth what he was being paid.

Even if Kinsler isn't that great I think guaranteeing we have financial flexibility to keep Max alone makes it worth it.

Truth

Fielder's D and baserunning were abysmal and dragged his overall value down. Getting someone to actually take that silly contract is a gift.

Miggy to first, where he is better and less prone to injuries. More DH flexibility. Castellanos should play third; a better fit for him and his bat. Infield D is worlds better. Saved 76 million. Kinsler is an above average 2b and can leadoff

Genius move
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#11 » by Lionlifer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:09 pm

When I heard this I was literally shocked. I sat for like 2 minutes speechless.

How in the hell did Dumborwski get anyone to take that contract and only fork over 30 million.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Yeah, that's the incredible thing. Even with the 30 million we save well over 60 million on this trade, and we got rid of someone who frankly didn't live up to expectations in the regular season and floundered in the playoffs so badly I was hoping we'd bench him in the world series.

He was an anchor that was going to hold us back for 7 more years. Dombrowski dealt him AND got a quality player at a position of need in return. He's a wizard.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#13 » by Lionlifer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:04 pm

I'm interested to see how we spend the money, and who starts where.

I keep seeing us linked to Choo and Elsbury, but not too sure how I feel about that. I did see something about signing Nathan and bring back Grandy, which would give us a cheaper lefty power bat in the 5-6 slot and a closer.

This offseason is going to be a wild ride, I have a feeling a few more moves are in the works, looking at Jackson, Scherzer, Fister, and Porcello. No way all 4 are on our roster come spring training.

Slightly OT: did anyone else hear that part of the reason Garcia was traded was becuase he slept with fielder's wife, and that's why they are getting divorced? Dont' know if it's true, but I read that was part of the reason Prince wanted out.....
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#14 » by Snakebites » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:13 pm

We aren't dealing Scherzer. The ability to keep him is one of the reasons this deal took place.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#15 » by Lionlifer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Snakebites wrote:We aren't dealing Scherzer. The ability to keep him is one of the reasons this deal took place.

I dunno if we are for sure going to keep him, he is going to ask for a TON of money, and given his previous seasons and injury/delivery issues, I don't think I would. Would Mr. I and DD, probably, but it'll be interesting to see what the numbers come out at.

He had some good luck his year, and that will generally average out, which worries me even more.

Return to Detroit Tigers