ImageImageImageImage

Fister traded to the Nationals

Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Fister traded to the Nationals 

Post#1 » by Sheeeeed » Tue Dec 3, 2013 1:17 am

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 22m
Source: #Nationals get Fister from #Tigers. Return not yet known. First reported: @ChrisCotillo.

No word yet what the return is.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Re: Fister traded to the Nationals 

Post#2 » by Sheeeeed » Tue Dec 3, 2013 1:34 am

JIM BOWDEN ‏@JimBowdenESPNxm 4m
Nats trade Krol, Lombardozzi and minor leaguer for Doug Fister according to sources

Gotta be a move to shed cash to resign Scherzer, or sign someone in FA. Robbie Ray is the minor leaguer.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#3 » by DETermination » Tue Dec 3, 2013 1:44 am

Right now this trade looks horrible for us, but I believe in DD and I think he has something huge planned. I expect some big moves soon.
Detroit vs Everybody
gusman
Analyst
And1: 355

Post#4 » by gusman » Tue Dec 3, 2013 2:19 am

I liked Doug Fister. I don't get this at all??? Proven playoff performer and good guy..WTF
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#5 » by Lionlifer » Tue Dec 3, 2013 3:24 pm

It gets Smyly into the rotation, and frees up money for Max and a closer, I am okay with it.

Hopefully Ray is as good as Dave Dumbrowski seems to think from his press conferences.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Tue Dec 3, 2013 5:00 pm

DD said fans wouldn't understand this deal, and he's right, I don't.

That's not a prospect I'd expect for a proven and legitimate pitcher like Doug Fister. I'm disappointed to say the absolute least.

I know we're still touting the "I'm sure Dave has other moves up his sleeve" horn, but even if that's true this deal feels like a step backwards.

At the moment I have a hard time imagining our team not being worse next season.
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#7 » by Lionlifer » Thu Dec 5, 2013 7:12 am

There was an article on SI that pretty much said DD is a wizard, and that if he approaches you for two players, you should value those players way more than before.

Kinda cool too see him get some love, he does have a really good record with trades so far (renteria excluded)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Fri Dec 6, 2013 12:51 am

Trades have been mostly good, but then, most of his trades have also LOOKED good at the time they were made (Sanchez/Infante and the trade that landed us Fister in the first place are primary recent examples). Even the return we got for Granderson (the only "sell" type deal I can think of off the top of my head) was embraced at the time, though that deal has emerged as one of the greatest steals in history with us getting Max AND Jackson back in return.

On the other hand his contract signings have been something of a mixed bag. Remember the deal he shelled out to Dontrelle Willis?
Lionlifer
Rookie

Post#9 » by Lionlifer » Fri Dec 6, 2013 1:55 pm

Off the top of my head, the signings:

Good:
Sanchez
Hunter
Pudge
Magglio

Bad:
Sheff
Quite a few role players, but nothing too bad as far as big contracts to vastly underperforming stars

Ugly:
Willis

Any biggies I've missed? I know I went way back for Pudge, but that was a huge signing, felt like it needed a shout out.

Return to Detroit Tigers