ImageImageImageImage

The Tigers are targeting Shin-Soo Choo

Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

The Tigers are targeting Shin-Soo Choo 

Post#1 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:21 am

Mark Feinsand ‏@FeinsandNYDN 3h
Source: Tigers are hot for a left-handed outfield bat; Shin-Soo Choo is their top target.

Looks like the Tigers were in on Ellsbury before he chose to sign with the Yankees.
Tony Paul ‏@TonyPaul1984 9m
@JeffPassan says Ellsbury chose Yankees over Tigers -- so yeah, the chase for Choo has to be in full-court press mode now.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Re: The Tigers are targeting Shin-Soo Choo 

Post#2 » by DETermination » Wed Dec 4, 2013 3:22 am

There have been a ton of moves happening before the winter meetings, if we want choo we better go hard for him right now before someone else gets him.
Detroit vs Everybody
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#3 » by Snakebites » Wed Dec 4, 2013 4:12 am

Is there any indication that we were ever in serious running for Ellsbury?

That would give us a much better indicator of what they're planning on doing.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#4 » by Lionlifer » Wed Dec 4, 2013 2:19 pm

Snakebites wrote:Is there any indication that we were ever in serious running for Ellsbury?

To be in the running for either Jacoby or Choo is surprising to me. We have a Cy Young Pitcher to resign, and yet we are chasing after 100 million dollar plus out fielders, don't get it. Especially don't get it considering we just traded away a starting pitcher.

Guess Mr. I decided to go HAM with the payroll, only thing that makes sense
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
DETermination
RealGM

Post#5 » by DETermination » Wed Dec 4, 2013 7:25 pm

Lionlifer wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Is there any indication that we were ever in serious running for Ellsbury?

To be in the running for either Jacoby or Choo is surprising to me. We have a Cy Young Pitcher to resign, and yet we are chasing after 100 million dollar plus out fielders, don't get it. Especially don't get it considering we just traded away a starting pitcher.

Guess Mr. I decided to go HAM with the payroll, only thing that makes sense

We lost fielder, infante and peralta so far this offseason. We have to add an impact bat and choo or beltran would be great here.
Detroit vs Everybody
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#6 » by Lionlifer » Wed Dec 4, 2013 7:28 pm

I was under the impression that we were banking on Nick C. being an impact bat. Kinsler is no slouch either.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Fri Dec 6, 2013 12:54 am

Kinsler gets on base at a solid clip, though he doesn't hit for power anything like he used to (and playing in Comerica won't do him favors there). He'll be decent.

Even if we're banking on Castellanos we need another outfielder IMO. I'm not sure who's out there though, since I'm personally not thrilled with the prospect of shelling out big bucks to Choo or gambling on Beltran.
DETermination
RealGM

Post#8 » by DETermination » Fri Dec 6, 2013 1:49 am

Snakebites wrote:Kinsler gets on base at a solid clip, though he doesn't hit for power anything like he used to (and playing in Comerica won't do him favors there). He'll be decent.

Even if we're banking on Castellanos we need another outfielder IMO. I'm not sure who's out there though, since I'm personally not thrilled with the prospect of shelling out big bucks to Choo or gambling on Beltran.

We could sign Nelson Cruz or give Michael Morse a chance. Jason Kubel and Corey Hart are two other possibilities if they could play like they used to.
Detroit vs Everybody
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Sat Dec 7, 2013 6:25 pm

ESPN's article in the winter meetings hints that the Tigers have indicated they are out of the Choo race, though I haven't seen any verification of this anywhere else.

I have looked at Choo's numbers, and he gets on base a ton, steals some bases and hits some home runs, but he doesn't do either of those things at an outstanding rate and he was subpar defensively last season (below replacement level).

I must be completely missing something about this guy if people think he's worth a 9 figure contract. I really wish Andy Dirks hadn't vanished last year. If he was still any good we wouldn't even be talking about adding an outfielder.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Post#10 » by Sheeeeed » Sat Dec 7, 2013 6:48 pm

Snakebites wrote:ESPN's article in the winter meetings hints that the Tigers have indicated they are out of the Choo race, though I haven't seen any verification of this anywhere else.

I have looked at Choo's numbers, and he gets on base a ton, steals some bases and hits some home runs, but he doesn't do either of those things at an outstanding rate and he was subpar defensively last season (below replacement level).

I must be completely missing something about this guy if people think he's worth a 9 figure contract. I really wish Andy Dirks hadn't vanished last year. If he was still any good we wouldn't even be talking about adding an outfielder.

It maybe because at the Nathan presser Dombrowski said he didn't think he'd sign anymore big deals. Not sure I believe that.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Sat Dec 7, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm not either, but it does make sense.

We're not going to make a major signing unless it makes sense in the long term, and I don't think giving Choo an excessive deal does, and I simply don't see who else is a viable option.
g-mo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#12 » by g-mo » Sun Dec 8, 2013 8:31 am

No way--Dombrowski just got rid of big contract with Fielder, not going after Choo.

Tigers will trade for rghthanded batter to platoon with Andy Dirks in LF.

One trade possibility: Tigers & Pittsburgh Pirates

Tigers get OF Jose Tabata
Pirates get RPs Phil Coke & Al Alberqueque
g-mo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#13 » by g-mo » Mon Dec 9, 2013 12:01 am

Another possible trade

Det Tigers get Sean Rodriguez from Tampa Bay Rays for minor league starter Casey Crosby

Rodriguez platoons with Andy Dirks in LF
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#14 » by Neddy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:43 am

Snakebites wrote:ESPN's article in the winter meetings hints that the Tigers have indicated they are out of the Choo race, though I haven't seen any verification of this anywhere else.

yes you are missing the key points of choo's strength.

first of all, he has been a career RFer who played CF because the reds needed him to. he is a good defensive RFer although he was a below average CFer. but what RFer wouldn't?
secondly, he was 3rd best in all majors last year in OBP. to say this guy gets on base a ton, is an understatement. he is a machine when it comes to getting on base. for a leadoff or #2 batter what else is more important than getting on base? being a 20-20 player ain't too shabby. how many players last season can say they have been a 20-20 player, ever?
lastly, he is a great club house addition. wherever he has been, all of his ex teammates rave about this guy.

i wish my dodgers can find a way to trade both ethier and crawford, then sign choo to sport choo/kemp/puig outfield with joc pederson and scott van slyke to round out the outfield.
ehhhhh f it.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Well, we signed a left fielder. Just based on stats it doesn't look like he does a whole lot offensively besides stealing bases, but he has a decent glove out there. This should end the Choo discussions.

We'll see what comes of it. I'm still hoping they're going to upgrade the bullpen.

Return to Detroit Tigers