ImageImageImageImage

We inked Davis, but miss out on Trumbo

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

We inked Davis, but miss out on Trumbo 

Post#1 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:30 pm

We inked a 2 year deal for davis which i'm happy about since its not Choo. Makes me wonder if we are going more towards a money ball philosophy. However I'm looking at what the Angles got for Trumbo who's a young power LF and wonder why we couldn't trade Fister for Trumbo.
Sheeeeed
Starter
And1: 226

Re: We inked Davis, but miss out on Trumbo 

Post#2 » by Sheeeeed » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:57 pm

Trumbo is more of a 1B/DH than an outfielder, and he has a low OBP.

I did read somewhere the Angel's offered Howie Kendrick for Fister, but the Tigers declined.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#3 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:Trumbo is more of a 1B/DH than an outfielder, and he has a low OBP.

I did read somewhere the Angel's offered Howie Kendrick for Fister, but the Tigers declined.

i'm not as knowledgeable when it comes to baseball, but he has speed and power, which we need, and defensively I thought he was at least decent. this is more a question than statement.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:20 pm

Davis is perfect. Great splits vs LHPs and can run, run run; a perfect compliment for Dirks, who will play against RHP. I absolutely love this signing, as it continues the trend of getting faster and more defensive across the board.

I'm stoked. Seriously.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:23 pm

Last year, two players in baseball racked up 10+ runs of value from baserunning: Jacoby Ellsbury (+11.4) and Davis (+10.2). But it’s pretty easy to make the case that Davis was baseball’s best baserunner, as he accumulated that value as a part-time player, coming to bat only 360 times all year. Ellsbury hit 636 times, for comparison. In fact, every other player who racked up at least +7 runs of baserunning value was basically an everyday player, so getting to +10 as a part-time guy is a pretty amazing accomplishment.

But this is basically the story of Davis’ career. Since his debut in 2006, he’s racked up nearly +42 runs of baserunning value despite only getting 500 plate appearances in a season in one of his eight seasons. Since he debuted, he’s 8th in baseball in baserunning value, and the seven guys ahead of him all got at least 1,000 more plate appearances than he did. Rajai Davis creates baserunning value at a full-time player clip while getting part-time player at-bats.

He’s going to be 33 next year, and this is the kind of thing you don’t expect to last forever, but Davis is showing no signs of slowing down and should be a valuable runner for the Tigers again in 2014. Even on days when a right-handed starter means that he begins the game on the bench, Davis can still be a real weapon, taking high leverage bases late in games. For a contender, this kind kind of minor thing can actually turn into a difference in wins, and Davis should be a nice little addition for the Tigers. He’s not a great hitter or fielder, but he excels at one thing that has some value, and he does it well enough that he’s carved out a nice little niche for himself in the game.

Yessir!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-fun-ti ... ore-142442
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#6 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:18 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:
Sheeeeed wrote:Trumbo is more of a 1B/DH than an outfielder, and he has a low OBP.

i'm not as knowledgeable when it comes to baseball, but he has speed and power, which we need, and defensively I thought he was at least decent. this is more a question than statement.

With your description of Trumbo, are you sure you're not getting him confused with Trout? Trumbo doesn't really have a whole lot of speed.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#7 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 am

Sheeeeed wrote:
Blkbrd671 wrote:

With your description of Trumbo, are you sure you're not getting him confused with Trout? Trumbo doesn't really have a whole lot of speed.

I believe you are correct
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#8 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:15 am

For what its worth now.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 6m
#Tigers, #RedSox, #Mariners have all been in touch with #Dodgers about Kemp this week, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

I'm not sure if the Davis signing changes their interest, but there were rumors Jackson was on the block a few weeks ago.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#9 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:33 am

Sheeeeed wrote:For what its worth now.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 6m
#Tigers, #RedSox, #Mariners have all been in touch with #Dodgers about Kemp this week, sources tell me and @jonmorosi.

I'm not sure if the Davis signing changes their interest, but there were rumors Jackson was on the block a few weeks ago.

I would not mind matt kemp considering he was putting up triple crown numbers prior to injury, its his injury history that concerns me and at what price it would cost us. I'm fine with our team going forward as it stands if we can add some more relief pitching
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:38 am

If we have money left it needs to go into relief pitching.

If we can upgrade the bullpen I think this offseason should be called a clear success.

I do think it does represent a shift that Dombrowski is trying to make in this team. He wants it to be less "slow and swing for the fences" and more defensively sound and speedy. I look for this team to do a better job manufacturing runs than last years team did, and we've undeniably upgraded the defense.

That Kemp stuff has gotta be nonsense, and I don't think Trumbo would have been a good fit for us.

Maybe they were looking into Kemp just in case the Dodgers were willing to eat a hefty chunk of his contract and unload him cheaply, but I'd probably say at this point its not going to happen and the recent signing signifies that.
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#11 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:05 am

Snakebites wrote:If we have money left it needs to go into relief pitching.

If we can upgrade the bullpen I think this offseason should be called a clear success.

I do think it does represent a shift that Dombrowski is trying to make in this team. He wants it to be less "slow and swing for the fences" and more defensively sound and speedy. I look for this team to do a better job manufacturing runs than last years team did, and we've undeniably upgraded the defense.

That Kemp stuff has gotta be nonsense, and I don't think Trumbo would have been a good fit for us.

Maybe they were looking into Kemp just in case the Dodgers were willing to eat a hefty chunk of his contract and unload him cheaply, but I'd probably say at this point its not going to happen and the recent signing signifies that.

They're apparently willing to eat some of the contract, but how much depends on the return. The Dodgers needs, and what the Tigers can give up don't really match though.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#12 » by Lionlifer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:05 pm

Zoom zoom, this is going to be a totally different team to watch, love the direction overall.

Just waiting for Max to re-up and it'll be a great offseason.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Sheeeeed
Starter

Post#13 » by Sheeeeed » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Lionlifer wrote:Zoom zoom, this is going to be a totally different team to watch, love the direction overall.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 2h
Sources: AL Cy Young winner Max Scherzer "definitely in play" in trade talks. Nothing imminent, but teams know he can be had.

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 6h
#Tigers are telling teams they're not optimistic about getting an extension done with Max Scherzer but have no plans to deal him.

The chances Max gets re-signed aren't looking good.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#14 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Sheeeeed wrote:
Lionlifer wrote:Zoom zoom, this is going to be a totally different team to watch, love the direction overall.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 2h
Sources: AL Cy Young winner Max Scherzer "definitely in play" in trade talks. Nothing imminent, but teams know he can be had.

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 6h
#Tigers are telling teams they're not optimistic about getting an extension done with Max Scherzer but have no plans to deal him.

The chances Max gets re-signed aren't looking good.

honestly I have no problem not extending Scherzer, I don't feel its really necessary to have 2 #1 pitchers but merely a luxary. But if we don't extend him, i'd rather trade him and get some sort of value in return to upgrade our team. Also I would expect to go after at least a viable starter as I am weary of running with smly , porcello, and ?????? as or 3,4,5 pitchers
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#15 » by Snakebites » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:07 am

I thought the moves we were making here were with the longterm plan of keeping Scherzer.

It is important to note that all this means is that we aren't EXTENDING Scherzer. We could still resign him. Boras clients rarely ink extensions and nearly always test free agency. Its simply his MO and I would have been shocked to hear than an extension was happening.

Frankly I don't think I would be okay with letting him walk unless he has a disappointing season.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#16 » by DETermination » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:20 am

Dirks is good at hitting righties but bad at hitting lefties, davis is good at hitting lefties but bad at hitting righties, they should be a really good platoon and could put up choo numbers combines with 1/4th the cost.
Detroit vs Everybody
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#17 » by Snakebites » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:44 am

Well, there's no way that platoon gets on base 42% of the time.

It COULD hit 20 homers and steal 20 bases if things go well though, I suppose.

In other news, we also signed Joba Chamberlain. Carry on.....
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#18 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:06 am

Snakebites wrote:Well, there's no way that platoon gets on base 42% of the time.

It COULD hit 20 homers and steal 20 bases if things go well though, I suppose.

In other news, we also signed Joba Chamberlain. Carry on.....

the question is will we need them too, and joba chamberlain is a low risk high reward signing. hopefully it works out

we are also reported in the mix for erivin santana
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#19 » by Snakebites » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:09 am

Yeah, I'm not really going to hold my breath on Joba.

Best case scenario is he comes back, has a decent year in the pen for us, and moves on to a better contract somewhere else.

Return to Detroit Tigers