ImageImageImageImage

OT-Sweet Jesus the Tigers!

mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Re: OT-Sweet Jesus the Tigers! 

Post#21 » by mercury » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:52 am

I looks like the plan is to bring up Carrera from the Hens to replace Jackson... Mr. D is high on him.
Carrera & Cabrera... gonna drive announcers nuts.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#22 » by DETermination » Fri Aug 1, 2014 2:54 am

mercury wrote:I looks like the plan is to bring up Carrera from the Hens to replace Jackson... Mr. D is high on him.
Carrera & Cabrera... gonna drive announcers nuts.

Hope Carrera does well enough to be our Center Fielder for the next few seasons while Derek Hill Develops in the minors.
Detroit vs Everybody
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,749

Post#23 » by Snakebites » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:08 am

Price has been pitching out of his mind for a while. I'm honestly not really sure this makes us a World Series team. The A's and Angels, to be perfectly frank, still look a lot more balanced and fundamentally sound than we do, even if we're packing a lot of star power now.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#24 » by TurboTitan » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:30 am

really p'd off they made this trade. I do not really follow baseball but I still hate it
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#25 » by DETermination » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:37 am

Mo-Town wrote:really p'd off they made this trade. I do not really follow baseball but I still hate it

Why? We traded an alright pitcher in Drew Smyly and A decent center Fielder in Austin Jackson for The best left handed pitcher in the AL. This was a great trade for the tigers.
Detroit vs Everybody
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#26 » by Warspite » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:08 am

Notanoob wrote:Seriously though, when was the last time a team had 3 Cy Young winners in their rotation? Especially the last 3 winners in a row? Maybe the Yankees did it once? Unreal. And JV looks like he's rounding into form finally.

Atlanta Braves
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Ghost
Bench Warmer
And1: 509

Post#27 » by Ghost » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:12 am

Wonder what one or two of the big guns is going to be in the pen once the postseason comes around. No need to stick to a 5 starter rotation then, roll with the best: Scherzer and Price for sure.... Then, honestly, it might be Porcello, he's having a great year. Verlander has the experience, so what, Sanchez into the pen? :lol: awkward.

Funny thing is both Detroit and Oakland got stud pitchers at the deadline. We lost Jackson... They lost Cespedes. :lol: I think we won, they definitely lost more of an offensive contributor.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,885

Post#28 » by tmorgan » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:33 am

Ghost wrote:Wonder what one or two of the big guns is going to be in the pen once the postseason comes around. No need to stick to a 5 starter rotation then, roll with the best: Scherzer and Price for sure.... Then, honestly, it might be Porcello, he's having a great year. Verlander has the experience, so what, Sanchez into the pen? :lol: awkward.

Funny thing is both Detroit and Oakland got stud pitchers at the deadline. We lost Jackson... They lost Cespedes. :lol: I think we won, they definitely lost more of an offensive contributor.

Accurate, but... Oakland has more reliable replacements available for CF -- Crisp needs to get healthy and they're fine. We're going to rely on a rook, which could be fine, but could be a problem.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

Post#29 » by epheisey » Fri Aug 1, 2014 6:55 am

It was a good trade. Hurts to lose a CF like Jackson, especially as he usually rounds into form late in the season like he's doing now. This guy from Toledo had better be able to match his defense and production.

I'll be very interested to see who rolls into the bullpen come postseason. At this very moment, based on recent performance, it'd have to be Verlander....which just sounds ridiculous!

Bringing in Price basically closes the door on Scherzer though. I think that's the biggest thing to take away from this deal. It's been pretty common knowledge that the Tigers are in "win now" mode, but the way DD just straight up said it to the press has me worried. I love contending, I'm glad my team is a favorite, but beyond next year....this team is due for a stretch of at least a decade of absolute atrocious baseball, and that is scary after what I grew up watching through the 90s and early 2000s.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#30 » by The Penguin » Fri Aug 1, 2014 10:56 am

:rock:

I can't believe DD pulled this off. The first thing I did this morning was to double check it actually happened and wasn't some fever dream. I'll miss AJax and Smyly, they were gamers, but to turn them into David Price is amazing.

As much as the competitor in me wants to see us go head to head with Oakland, it sure would be great to see the Angels pass them and then King Felix knock them off in the one game WC playoff.

We really need JV to pull it together, if he doesn't I'm wondering if our best play in the playoffs is to slot Porcello in as the 4th starter and use JV in relief, where he can just worry about ramping it up one inning at a time.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#31 » by The Penguin » Fri Aug 1, 2014 11:01 am

tmorgan wrote:
Ghost wrote:Wonder what one or two of the big guns is going to be in the pen once the postseason comes around. No need to stick to a 5 starter rotation then, roll with the best: Scherzer and Price for sure.... Then, honestly, it might be Porcello, he's having a great year. Verlander has the experience, so what, Sanchez into the pen? :lol: awkward.

Accurate, but... Oakland has more reliable replacements available for CF -- Crisp needs to get healthy and they're fine. We're going to rely on a rook, which could be fine, but could be a problem.

Carrera has a decent amount of mlb experience with Cleveland. He was fine defensively but an all out whimp with the bat. Then again Jackson has looked like he was swinging a boat oar the last few trips to the playoffs.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#32 » by Lionlifer » Fri Aug 1, 2014 3:38 pm

Snakebites wrote:Price has been pitching out of his mind for a while. I'm honestly not really sure this makes us a World Series team. The A's and Angels, to be perfectly frank, still look a lot more balanced and fundamentally sound than we do, even if we're packing a lot of star power now.

I think the A's trade was the most shocking of all. You know Lester is a rental, and they gave up a middle of the order bat that young and under team control till 2016 (could be wrong).

I think it comes down to us and the A's. After watching the Angels flame out the last couple years, I'm not too worried, even if they do run out Trout, Pujols, and Hamilton.....
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#33 » by Manocad » Fri Aug 1, 2014 4:06 pm

epheisey wrote:beyond next year....this team is due for a stretch of at least a decade of absolute atrocious baseball, and that is scary after what I grew up watching through the 90s and early 2000s.

There is no logic whatsoever behind that statement. It took Dombrowski five years to take a team/farm system that was absolute garbage to the World Series. You can't compare the way the team was run pre-Dombrowski to what will happen with Dombrowski.
epheisey
Bench Warmer
And1: 409

OT-Sweet Jesus the Tigers! 

Post#34 » by epheisey » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:21 pm

Manocad wrote:
epheisey wrote:beyond next year....this team is due for a stretch of at least a decade of absolute atrocious baseball, and that is scary after what I grew up watching through the 90s and early 2000s.

There is no logic whatsoever behind that statement. It took Dombrowski five years to take a team/farm system that was absolute garbage to the World Series. You can't compare the way the team was run pre-Dombrowski to what will happen with Dombrowski.

There's two things going that I think will lead to a rough patch. First, I don't think the team will continue to spend money at a level that can keep them competitive through free agency alone. That was one of the big keys to the Tigers resurgence. Big money signings like Pudge and Magglio got it started, and then huge extensions for players like Sanchez along with big spending on V-Mart and Prince Fielder were what really put this team into annual contention these past several years. Given the money, a competent GM can put together a quality team.

Second, our farm system hadn't been completely demolished when DD came in. He has since used any of our decent prospects to acquire major league talent. Which is totally fine by me, but we can't ignore the impact on the future. We've shipped our best prospects year after year, and our minor league system has almost no major league ready talent. That will hurt as our stars get older and the other positions need a shot of youth.

It's entirely possible DD manages to avoid a rough patch, but it also doesn't look like he'll be around for much longer. He's rumored to be a top pick for the commissioner job and if Illitch is gone, DD might not be as likely to hang around.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#35 » by mercury » Fri Aug 1, 2014 6:39 pm

I think before age/salary gets the best of the Tigers DD will reverse his trend and sell vets like JV for youth... I trust he'll do things right.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#36 » by sc8581 » Fri Aug 1, 2014 8:37 pm

mercury wrote:I think before age/salary gets the best of the Tigers DD will reverse his trend and sell vets like JV for youth... I trust he'll do things right.

Assuming they are worth their contracts and moveable.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#37 » by Blkbrd671 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:36 am

Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#38 » by Timmaytime » Mon Aug 4, 2014 9:15 pm

DCintheD wrote:I'm not big on baseball so can someone compare that trade to a hypothetical NBA trade?

Love for Bennett and Waiters
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog

Return to Detroit Tigers