ImageImageImageImage

Predict the Tigers Offseason

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Predict the Tigers Offseason 

Post#1 » by Snakebites » Tue Oct 7, 2014 8:04 pm

Alrighty, in a (possibly futile) effort to drum up some offseason discussion here:

Key Free Agents:

Max Scherzer
Tori Hunter
Victor Martinez
Joba Chamberlain

Possible major extension:

David Price

Holes in our team:

Bullpen
Outfield (especially defensively)
Shortstop (only if Jose isn't back)

1) Which of our free agents do you anticipate coming back?
2) What are the chances Price gets extended in the offseason?
3) What free agents, major or minor, do you see us targeting this year?
4) Potential trade targets>

By the end of the offseason, do you think this team will look stronger or weaker?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Re: Predict the Tigers Offseason 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Sat Nov 1, 2014 7:22 pm

Okay, it looks like we've decided to retain Joakim Soria to be our eigth inning guy. From a bullpen perspective I think we'll probably hope that he and Nathan come back effectively and that we'll get another effective comeback from Rondon. Is that an effective strategy? Honestly I doubt it, but they're probably figuring the high end bullpen guys available via free agency are simply too expensive.

It also looks like they're pretty confident Jose Iglesius will return to the team to be our full time shortstop next year.

I think we'll probably resign Max or Victor, but not both. I also am putting my money on Victor being the guy since he can presumably be had for fewer years.

I don't predict any major free agent acquisitions last year. One of Scherzer or Martinez will be resigned and will be the largest deal we hand out. Hopefully we'll be able to retool our outfield with minor moves.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#3 » by sc8581 » Fri Nov 7, 2014 9:23 am

I think we have too many other holes to fill so VMart and Scherzer will both be gone.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:55 pm

Everything about our actions and the statements made by DD suggest that Scherzer is already out the door.

David Price essentially replaces him, the only question is who our 5th starter becomes. We've got a few potential 5th starters among our ranks, so I suspect we won't be signing another pitcher.

Also sounds like we're banking on our guys bouncing back next year in terms of bullpen.

To be honest, the only other major signing I could see happening is signing a new starting outfielder to replace Hunter (Cabrera certainly comes to mind), and frankly even that's something I could see not happening.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#5 » by The Penguin » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:04 am

Looks like Shane Greene fills out the rotation.

Still have my fingers crossed for Melky. Feels like we are one move short and could really use a corner OF bat, though I would not be surprised if we went with Davis/Collins while we waited for Moya.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#6 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:08 am

God, I hope Jose Iglesias' shin problems are behind him. In just the 46 games he's played for us, in my opinion he's the most exciting player to have donned a Tigers uniform. I've been watching since the 80s and seen a lot of incredible Tigers, but this guy's defense is breathtaking. Please be all better, Jose.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hqGsceA1QU[/youtube]
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:45 am

We are going to really be relying on upgrades in the outfield and at shortstop from last year if we're going to hope to win the division again this year.

Our pitching has a crazy number of question marks. Our bullpen- I wish had question marks. That would be a major improvement.

The only area in which we appear to have possibly improved is defensively- the offense should be comparable, perhaps slightly better than last season.

Return to Detroit Tigers