Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Porcello traded for C 

Post#1 » by Snakebites » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:44 am

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/i ... api_public

Hard wrap my head around this one.

On one hand Cespedes is an exciting player with power, speed, and defensive ability, and now might have been a good "sell high" time for Porcello, given its unclear whether he'd ever replicate the season he had.

On the other hand some of Yoenis's offensive statistics are underwhelming and his power bat might not play well at Commerica, and Porcello was our most consistent year long pitcher last year outside of Scherzer, who is also on his way out.

I think our defense should be greatly improved next season with Gose, Cespedes, and Iglesius joining the ranks of our everyday players. Our offense should be great too.

For the first time in a long time we have a big fat question mark on our starting rotation though. We are relying on a couple of comback seasons from Sanchez and Verlander, and we need Simon and Greene to prove that the first half of last year wasn't a fluke.
g-mo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Porcello traded for C 

Post#2 » by g-mo » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:01 am

I'd rather have a dependable everyday OF like Cespedes over a replaceable #5 starter like Porcello. Tigers could lock in Cespedes for 5 yrs rather than pay Porcello #2 starter money.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Re: Porcello traded for C 

Post#3 » by DETermination » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:46 am

I love the trade. I get his on base percentage isn't great but the man is a presence in the lineup and you can't put a stat on that. Well actually you can, go look how the A's did with and without Cespedes in the lineup.The A's were 228-131 with him in the lineup and 43-69 with him out of the lineup, and they were 15-25 after they traded him to the Red Sox.He made their offense so much better just by simply being there. A lineup with Miggy/Vmart/Cespedes/JD in it is so dangerous, I feel bad for the pitchers that will have to go through that.

I don't like the Simon trade tho, I wish we could of gotten Latos somehow instead. I'm not too confident in Simon as a starter and think it would be best to bring him out of the bullpen and if we can't re sign Scherzer then let Lobstein get the 5th spot or sign someone like James Shields who would be much cheaper than Scherzer.
Detroit vs Everybody

Return to Detroit Tigers