ImageImageImage

Bo Porter getting involved in the community

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Bo Porter getting involved in the community 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 am

I don't know much about Bo Porter, but everything I'm reading so far makes me want to cheer for the guy to succeed (not just for the obvious reason that it means the Astros are winning). I have a friend who is a Nats fan who insists that the Bo Porter signing is going to set this franchise in the right direction moving forward.

Here's a bit in the Chronicle about Bo Porter getting involved in yesterdays Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Parade.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/20 ... more-49633

Bo Porter didn’t need to be reminded what the day meant. The Astros manager knew, and he was proud to take part.

Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. It also served as the day of President Barack Obama’s second inauguration. Add in an Astros appearance at the Urban Youth Academy — the north Houston baseball facility is an outlet for disadvantaged youth and is surrounded by urban blight — and Porter stood a little taller and spoke with extra pride while discussing what it meant to be one of three African-American managers in major league baseball on MLK Day.

“It just goes back to appreciating those who have come before you and the sacrifices which they made to give you the different opportunities that you may have today,” Porter said. “There is a sense of belonging and a sense of pride that comes with those opportunities. … I’m completely honored to be able to stand here today as the manager of the Houston Astros.”

He also discusses such issues as the Singleton suspension and the signing of Rick Ankiel.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill

Return to Houston Astros