ImageImageImage

Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers to the Astros

RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,114

Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers to the Astros 

Post#1 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Carlos Gomez was nearly dealt to the Mets last night before the deal fell apart, but it didn’t take long for the Brewers to find a new suitor. According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the Astros have agreed to acquire Gomez and right-hander Mike Fiers from the Brewers.

No word yet on the return package, but Evan Drellich of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Brewers will receive four or five prospects.

More to come…

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/30/report-astros-to-acquire-carlos-gomez-and-mike-fiers-from-brewers/
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Re: Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers to the Astros 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:42 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/626900241393025024[/tweet]
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:30 am

I know that they were high on Brett Phillips, so I'm pretty intrigued by this move!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#4 » by Mr. E » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:43 am

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=1402152#start_here

Our brothers and sisters in Wisconsin are talking about this trade here!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#5 » by zapatasblood » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:54 am

Not the least bit happy with this deal! The outfield is already packed. Well going to be packed when SPringer comes back. I want to continue to see Tucker to grow and this as good a time as any. Also rather have a Closer or another bullpin arm opposed to a starter that may take starts from Lance. They've already move Vincent to the Bullpin. I wished they got Adam Lind if he was available which I don't see why not. I mean first base is a blackhole in the batting lineup and that's the one spot that needed change. Also heard the Padres Closer Kimbrel is on the block and Astros had interest in him so I hope we land him but doubtful since they've up a lot of prospects.

Also not the least bit mad about the Kazmir deal since it was a smart and great move just pissed Feldman stayed in rotation. GET RID OF HIM! ALONG WITH CARTER AND QUALLS

ANYWAYS IN LUHNOW WE TRUST!
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#6 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:30 am

The problem with Tucker is he can't play defense worth a damn, though I do like having his bat in the lineup as opposed to Marisnick(who is excellent on defense). We also have his brother in the system who has potential to be even better than him anyways.

Carter needs to go for sure. I don't have much faith in Singleton but I'd rather throw him out there at this point than Carter. Wouldn't surprise me to see both of them gone before the deadline though.

If Springer comes back healthy our outfield is going to be scary good, especially defensively. Maybe we can ship Carter/Gattis out and just let Tucker DH and let Singleton/Marwin split time at 1B, assuming we don't trade for someone better.

Anyways, Gomez is definitely an upgrade offensively over Marisnick and we have Lowrie back now. If they make any other moves at this point I hope it's for a reliever. They apparently want to limit McCuller's IP down the stretch(VV too) so adding another starter makes sense to help solidify the rotation, but I agree we still need another strong arm in the pen.

Should be interesting to see how things play out today.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#7 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am

Also that Kazmir deal is looking really beautiful right now!
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#8 » by zapatasblood » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:53 pm

So listening to Charlie on 790 has calmed me down and made he like this deal some what. He made some solid points but I still think the greatest needs where in the Bullpin and first base. I hope they give Preston sometime at first. Sad to see Singleton be sent down because I had such high hopes for but looks like he is a AAAA player and not a MLB player. Also Lind was available and sure they looked at him but I guess the price was to high. Really wish Kimbril was traded and traded to the Astros.
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
pack15412
Senior
And1: 285

Post#9 » by pack15412 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:22 am

Carlos Gomez has been an absolute treat to watch for years. I'm going to root for him forever and I hope he works out great for you guys.

Biggest weakness is an occasional way too aggressive on the base path that can look terrible. But he more than makes up for it. Great CF, covers a ridiculous amount of ground. His energy and passion is infectious. Has fun playing and refuses to take crap from the solemn keepers of the unwritten rules.

Good luck with the playoff run.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#10 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:10 am

zapatasblood wrote:So listening to Charlie on 790 has calmed me down and made he like this deal some what. He made some solid points but I still think the greatest needs where in the Bullpin and first base. I hope they give Preston sometime at first. Sad to see Singleton be sent down because I had such high hopes for but looks like he is a AAAA player and not a MLB player. Also Lind was available and sure they looked at him but I guess the price was to high. Really wish Kimbril was traded and traded to the Astros.

I'd love to see Tucker develop into a decent first basemen, but I don't feel very confident in that experiment while we're trying to win the division/a WC spot down the stretch. I would like to see them give that a try over the winter and into spring training next year though, assuming we don't find an even better option between now and then. I was really hoping we could cut loose of Carter so that Tucker could just be the every day DH, but sadly that didn't happen.

I agree about Singleton too. It sucks he hasn't panned out so far, but I also don't think he's been given as much of a consistent chance as he should. Oh well, whatever. At this point I'd rather see Marwin out there every day over Carter or Valbuena.

Not getting another reliever is a bummer, but we still have pretty good arms there going forward. Qualls is the one that usually makes me the most nervous, but he's been solid since he came back from the DL.

Damn...I can't wait for Springer to get back healthy!
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#11 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 2:27 am

pack15412 wrote:Carlos Gomez has been an absolute treat to watch for years. I'm going to root for him forever and I hope he works out great for you guys.

Biggest weakness is an occasional way too aggressive on the base path that can look terrible. But he more than makes up for it. Great CF, covers a ridiculous amount of ground. His energy and passion is infectious. Has fun playing and refuses to take crap from the solemn keepers of the unwritten rules.

Good luck with the playoff run.

Thanks! I think when Springer gets back that outfield could be really scary good and fun to watch.

Also, I really miss seeing the Astros go into Milwaukee every year. The sausage race and Bernie Brewer sliding after home runs was always really amusing, even if I hated the Brewers whenever we played them.

;)

Also, I really miss the NL Central.

:(

Return to Houston Astros