ImageImageImageImageImage

2015 season dodgers game thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: 2015 season dodgers game thread 

Post#281 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:37 pm

Utley has done nothing but be a plus defender until the ankle injury.
I'm not sure why we don't think he can be a plus defender now. Because he made an error? Seriously?

He looked great to me stopping that ball up the middle yesterday even though he couldn't get the out.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#282 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:52 pm

Peraza at 2nd tonight

edit:
does this mean he can be on the playoff roster now?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Post#283 » by Ranma » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:33 am

Neddy wrote:he does not belong in NL anymore with his **** defense. I think you guys are fogetting his botch job on a simple flyball that ended up costing 4 runs and nearly lost the game when Brett Anderson was brilliant on his last start. if we like his leadership skills, we can hire him as a coach when he retires, which really shouldn't be too far. I get that his BA has suffered by bad luck and I get that he has been hot since the all star, but now I have seen him play defense in my dodger blue, he reminds me too much of Jeff Kent and Hanley Ramirez and they produced offensively far better than Chase.

I was primarily concerned with Utley's defense because of his ankles limiting his range precisely because I did not want another Jeff Kent at the keystone position in the infield. However, from what I've seen so far, he is getting to the balls just fine albeit not always gracefully. With regards to the fly ball flub in the B. Anderson game, I fell asleep and missed that particular play but I have to think it was a fluke.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying Chase has earned a spot in the infield just yet, but I do find myself rooting for him to make it. I may still have lingering concerns about his defense, but at this point, I'm more concerned about his bat coming around, which should be the deciding factor.

Neddy wrote:Gonzo on first, Howie on second, Peraza on SS, and Seager on 3rd. Turner with his bad knees should be the ultimate utility guy who plays 3-4 days a week and that leaves one more spot left for ****. this is how i see our infield next year.

The good thing about our situation is that we have multiple appealing variations with Kendrick, Utley, Peraza, Seager, and Turner in the mix. I think your proposed lineup is my 2nd favorite iteration of the infield and the safest bet defensively. I'm currently leaning towards A-Gon at 1B, Peraza at 2B, Seager at SS, and Utley at 3B despite the question marks of Utley's transition to the hot corner and Seager's inferior defense at short relative to Peraza's.

As I concurred with Quake before, Seager's long-term future is at 3B but breaking him in at SS allows him to stick with the position he's currently most comfortable with while affording Utley an opportunity to handle the hot corner before Corey transitions over there. It could allow us to keep both Kendrick and Utley.

It kind of sucks for Turner to be pushed out of the starting lineup given his contributions this season, but he is not the long-term answer, but I agree with you that he'd ideally be a utility guy to go along with ****. However, the same can be said of Utley as well.

The bottom line is that I want the most deserving players to get the starting jobs, so we'll see how it plays out. The one non-negotiable thing for next season, aside from Adrian anchoring 1B, is Corey Seager has to get the opportunity to play regularly.

Quake Griffin wrote:Peraza at 2nd tonight

edit:

I'm not sure since I'm not well versed in the roster requirements for the postseason, but I have to think his presence on the roster at this point in the season assures his spot for the playoffs. Seager, Urias, and Cotton I have to think are are also serious considerations as well, but given their respective ages and lack of major league service time, I think all three are qualified to be put on the roster once the postseason begins. I suspect Bolsinger needs to be added pretty soon to qualify, right?
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#284 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:20 am

I'm telling you. Chase looks fine to me in the field.

the play in which he dropped that ball was srsly a fluke. I mean…i was pissed but I wouldn't judge him off that. I'm with you Ranma. So far, it looks like he's getting to balls just fine.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v414697383/ladcin-bruce-reaches-base-on-utleys-costly-error/?game_pk=415538
clearly unacceptable but I'd bet my money on that never happening again. I'm not sure how much….but I'd bet a lot on it never happening again.

And as I say that. Latos strikes out the side after Fowler's lead off double.
Ranma
RealGM

Chase Hearing Puig's Footsteps 

Post#285 » by Ranma » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:46 am

Quake Griffin wrote:http://m.mlb.com/video/v414697383/ladcin-bruce-reaches-base-on-utleys-costly-error/?game_pk=415538
clearly unacceptable but I'd bet my money on that never happening again. I'm not sure how much….but I'd bet a lot on it never happening again.

Thanks for the link to the video, Quake. Yeah, seeing that drop is aggravating since he took his eyes off the ball to presumably check on Puig possibly also hard-charging the play. He looked scared on the play. On the one hand, I understand being upset at his drop of the ball and the resulting runs given up because of his lack of focus in not making that play. However, on the other, his concern was self preservation in light of Puig's reputation for undisciplined pursuits of fly balls even at the expense of teammates.

Couple this with him having to acclimate himself to new teammates outside of Jimmy Rollins, I can understand why it happened. Is it really fair to expect a 37-year-old to leave himself vulnerable to serious injury because of a wild stallion in right field, especially since we ended up winning that game?

Not to be too much of an apologist for Utley, but Puig shares in the blame for such instances. Yasiel's all-out effort is great most of the time but he's also shown that such a disregard for his surroundings has put his own teammates at risk. This is precisely why Puig has to put some thought into how his actions affect the team as a whole. If his teammates also have to worry about what he will do when he's in the vicinity, then it will obviously hinder their play. To borrow a Cubs' analogy, this goes beyond Mark Grace bailing out Shawon Dunston for his wild throws to 1B.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Old Reliable on the BasePaths 

Post#286 » by Ranma » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:17 am

I'm not going to be overly hypocritical in questioning the acquisitions of both Jim Johnson and Matt Latos since I was fine with the trade that brought them here when it was announced. I'm still positive about it overall since we also got Alex Wood and Jose Peraza, but I can't help but consider why Latos was brought in to fix a problem that didn't exist as Mike Bolsinger's replacement. Further, Johnson has been anything but a calming presence to solidify the bullpen with his latest outing having him load the bases with two hit batters before inducing a double play to get out of the 8th inning unscathed.

Speaking of Peraza and Wood, Peraza had 2 hits last night, scored 2 runs, stole 2 bases, and drove in an RBI last night. Wood takes the mound today and has been pitching well lately with his stats line dragged down a bit by ineffectual bullpen support.

In more positive news, Utley in a small sample size, is already standing out for his play in an area of great need, old legs and all: baserunning.

Anthony Witrado, ESPN.com (8/29/15)
Still, even with all of that going against the notion, the Dodgers see Utley as a baserunning savant and the kind of player who can significantly improve what has been one of the team’s weaknesses throughout this season. And in Utley’s first home game as a Dodger on Friday night, he showed exactly why the team views him in that regard.

“Without bad-mouthing anyone else, it’s just an awareness of how to run the bases -- an aggressive style but also running with some smarts,” Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said after Friday’s game. “I think it’s one of the areas that we’ve honestly been lackadaisical. Hopefully this aggressiveness he brings kind of helps all of us.”

Bad baserunning has significantly hurt the Dodgers this season. Entering the second of three games against the Cubs, FanGraphs’ baserunning stat (BsR) -- which accounts for steals, times caught, taking extra bases and being thrown out on the bases among other things -- had the Dodgers at minus-19.1, the worst mark in all of baseball and well behind the Detroit Tigers’ minus-15.6, the second-worst total.

That is where Utley comes in. While his speed has diminished since his younger days, his instincts have sharpened. Since the 2005 season and through Friday, Utley has accounted for a career BsR total of 66.4, second best in the majors during that time behind Ichiro Suzuki.

“That was awesome,” said Clayton Kershaw, the beneficiary of Utley’s go-ahead run. “Base running has been kind of a point of weakness for us all year. He’s a gamer. He’s been doing that his whole career.”

Appreciating Chase Utley's Instincts, Experience on the Bases
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#287 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:11 pm

JJ and Avilan have said the philosophy of the pen is different and new to them. I do expect them to get more comfortable soon even though I wish they could have came in clicking automatically. Avilan has been just fine in his last few outings and JJ has been hit or miss. Either way JJ's stuff looks electric to me out of his hand. It's mental if you ask me. But thats of course, if you're asking me.

**** at 3B tonight.
So Turner is getting the spell Neddy was worried about. He has 3 total games in his career at 3B. His errors at SS costs us a game in Atlanta before the ASB. It's a roll of the dice but we'll see how it goes. I'm more comfortable with him there than Utley.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#288 » by Neddy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:47 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:JJ and Avilan have said the philosophy of the pen is different and new to them. I do expect them to get more comfortable soon even though I wish they could have came in clicking automatically. Avilan has been just fine in his last few outings and JJ has been hit or miss. Either way JJ's stuff looks electric to me out of his hand. It's mental if you ask me. But thats of course, if you're asking me.

**** at 3B tonight.
So Turner is getting the spell Neddy was worried about. He has 3 total games in his career at 3B. His errors at SS costs us a game in Atlanta before the ASB. It's a roll of the dice but we'll see how it goes. I'm more comfortable with him there than Utley.

well first off, both JJ and Avilan are vets. what they are saying as "different" in other words mean, "effing stupid" by the non other than the potato man. we have Baez who hasn't pitched in ten days, and we saw hatcher last night instead. maybe it was the right call but with 1.062 WHIP and a very above ERA+(which Im sure is what Donny gets off of, the traditional ERAs and BAs) I don't get how he is in the dog house while most of the others appear to have become spot relievers (Avilan and JP) or on a very short leash. anywho, Donny and his misuse of the bullpen is not anything new. anywayz, I find it funny that the Dodgers are so much ahead of the Cardinals in fWAR as a team and yet we have just met the runs for squared over runs against squared (BTW isn't Bill James effing awesome? have been addicted to his analysis for the last 15 years, even before Michael Lewis' money ball) to resolve our Ws and Ls so far but those damn RedBirds have overachieved both in fWAR and baseball pythagorean, even if by a smudge.

I can't believe Donny Potato has gotten this lineup (almost) right against the Cubbie's Ace!!!! the difference maybe only a 0.050 in BA, and 0.030 in OBP, but .100 in SLG%. Jake A kills right handed batters, we need as many lefties as possible against this fella to have a chance.

S Rollins
L Utley
L Gonzo
L Ethier
L Carl
S Grandal
L Joc
R ****

is just what we needed. here are the strong points of this lineup.

1) Joc is finally at a spot where he can actually see some fastballs in the zone.
2) as you mentioned, Turner's knees are ailing and we need him comes playoff time.
3) Cubbies are not gonna dump Jake Arrieta off the mound early unless he is getting killed, we can always sub in right handed bats in Carl's spot and move the guys around the positions they play among the starters to be flexible if we get Jake off the mound early and we are in a need of right handed bats.

what I hate

1) Carl is batting 5th. I prefer Grandal there as he has a powerful bat as a left handed batsman and it is easier to balance the lineup if and when we bring in a right handed bat like SVS.
2) I don't like Rollins and Utley back to back. they are both so over the hill and they are the ones who gets the most at bat tonight. I prefer Rollins in the 9th spot and move the pitcher to the 8th, or Rollins in the 8th spot and the pitcher in his usual spot or visa versa with Chase batting 9th or 8th. I hate the thought of having them both go back to back at the top of the order. their respective OBP this year are .274 and .288. hell with all the problems Joc had this season with his BA, his OBP is still .356. the boy has taken 80 walks in less than 400 ABs. that is 20% of his at bats turning into a walk, folks. Jimmy and Chase combined with 736 ABs has 59 walks.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#289 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:27 am

The last time we stacked lefties against a righty whose curve drops off tables (Fiers) we got no-hit.

We're getting no hit now.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#290 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:53 am

stacking lefties isn't managing.

sorry.

burned and embarrassed both times we've done it in the last 9 days.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#291 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:53 am

looks like **** has a hammy.

September 1st can't come soon enough.
road block after road block after road block after road block this year.

hopefully it makes this team tough as nails.
Ranma
RealGM

**** Out 2 Weeks; Seager to Be Called Soon? 

Post#292 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:36 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/alannarizzo/status/638493371036647425[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638396280394244096[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#293 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:46 pm

Put Peraza in CF and let's roll out.

I'm with you. no retreads.
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Players Also Onboard with Seager 

Post#294 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638497426253283328[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Ruthless_Turtle/status/638497405848055808[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638497603739480064[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Austin Barnes Recalled 

Post#295 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 1, 2015 1:23 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/638514164785262592[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638515196391108609[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638516531073187840[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Postseason Roster Requirement 

Post#296 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 1, 2015 1:57 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Peraza at 2nd tonight

edit:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638527527242207232[/tweet]
Neddy
RealGM

Post#297 » by Neddy » Tue Sep 1, 2015 3:11 am

I know you guys disagree, but in my eyes Utley just botched what should have been a routine groundball to end the inning and fumbled that grounder he looked much spectacular than he should have just to get there and gave up 2 more runs now. we are down 1-3. I bet in that exact same situation, from the same location where he stood, with the same ground ball, Peraza would habe gotten to that ball for an easy 3rd out and the game still should be tied.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#298 » by Neddy » Tue Sep 1, 2015 3:14 am

Quake Griffin wrote:stacking lefties isn't managing.

sorry.

burned and embarrassed both times we've done it in the last 9 days.

so rather than rolling your dice on .220 ish against a great pitcher, you wanna roll with .170-ish BA against?

we gave up a no hitter. without some of these lefties, we might have given up a perfect game.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#299 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Sep 1, 2015 3:23 am

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/30145/jake-arrieta

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/30773/mike-fiers

Both their splits suggest that they're tougher against lefties than righties.
It was a mistake for us to pile up lefties against both of them…i dunno if it was Donnie's call or Friedman's. But it was foolish to suggest that just throwing lefties out there would get it done.

I only needed 3 outs from Arrieta to see we were in for the same type of night we had with Fiers
Ranma
RealGM

Utley's Fielding 

Post#300 » by Ranma » Tue Sep 1, 2015 3:27 am

Neddy wrote:I know you guys disagree, but in my eyes Utley just botched what should have been a routine groundball to end the inning and fumbled that grounder he looked much spectacular than he should have just to get there and gave up 2 more runs now. we are down 1-3. I bet in that exact same situation, from the same location where he stood, with the same ground ball, Peraza would habe gotten to that ball for an easy 3rd out and the game still should be tied.

I'll agree that Peraza would have had a better chance at making that play by the mere fact that he has much better wheels, but I'm not sure I can fault him on that play. Vin noted that Chase was shifted to the left when the ball was hit towards 1B. Molly Knight wasn't sure if Gonzalez should have fieled that instead. Utley definitely made it look like a chore because of his lack of footspeed but I'll give him credit for making sure to keep the ball from the outfield to prevent another run from possibly scoring.

Plus, our overall infield defense has been bad. Molly also noted that Rollins should have made the play earlier in the inning and Turner just flubbed a ball hit to 3B. Utley also just made a nice flip to Rollins for the incomplete double play attenpt.

I'm more concerned with Joc Pederson being in the lineup. His swings and at-bats have been really bad. Maybe even Puig bad when Yasiel was struggling earlier this season. Everyone seems to think he needs to work on his swing in the offseason, so I'm wondering why he's still playing with little semblance of life from him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638547293583478784[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638548455997046784[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/638549044982251521[/tweet]

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers