ImageImageImageImageImage

Prospects and trade discussion

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Big Bite for the Big Apple 

Post#461 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:44 pm

The Yankees also made out by getting the 4th overall pick in the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft for Carlos Beltran. Dillon Tate may be struggling in the minors but he still has great stuff to at least be a dominant closer if he puts it all together.

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers' Swing Clinic 

Post#462 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:49 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Playing Keep-Away with Dodgers 

Post#463 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 11:21 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Matt Moore to the Giants for Lucius Fox, Matt Duffy, and another guy.

decent hall for the Rays.
I'm disappointed we couldn't get him but I like still having the future in tact.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

The Irony of It All 

Post#464 » by Ranma » Mon Aug 1, 2016 11:22 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#465 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Aug 2, 2016 1:17 pm

Gotta admit that I like Matt Moore as I remember the promise he had before he had TJS.

I do find it funny that the Giants who have had their success building from within in recent years have abandoned that philosophy and pushed all their chips in the year they promote a new GM under Sabean. They're a fine organization and a contender but if they don't get it done in this even year, this deadline may look a little foolish in retrospect.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#466 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Aug 2, 2016 7:58 pm

Btw....wonder how Lucius Fox feels knowing that he snubbed us only to get dealt to a team that he wasn't initially interested in.

Probably shouldn't have broken your commitment bro.

Hold this L.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#467 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:07 pm

" Yadier Alvarez continues to be impressive with the Loons. Alvarez has made six starts and in 26? innings, he has struck out 42 and walked just seven. On Tuesday, Alvarez pitched five scoreless innings, giving up no hits, walking three and striking out eight."
Ranma
RealGM

Walker Buehler's Minor-League Debut 

Post#468 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

A.J. Ellis Traded (Updated) 

Post#469 » by Ranma » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:04 pm

I guess we shouldn't be surprised given the little playing time he's had with Kershaw out. I'm glad that he'll get an opportunity to play more with Philadelphia in helping a younger ballclub, but I'm sorry to see him go. Hopefully, he'll return soon as a coach once his playing days are over. Also, I hope this means a spot on the Major-League roster and more playing time for Austin Barnes, but Carlos Ruiz, who was acquired in the trade, probably takes Ellis' spot on the roster.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

p.s. As iIt turns out, Barnes was hurt, which apparently prompted the Ellis trade.

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

The Front Office's Attempt at Alchemy 

Post#470 » by Ranma » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:35 am

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#471 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:16 pm

Everybody wants to get better until it's time to get better. They dont to give up good players or "comfort" to get better. Further evidence that most of our fans view our saber metric friendly front office as a circus act hoping they spin straw (garbage players) into gold.

If our once in a generation pitcher is a once in a generation pussy about this, then I have no problem trying to get Machado here before 2018.

Im a Dodger fan 1st.
Fan of the players 2nd.
And I want a **** World Series dammit...not chemistry or comfort and another winter of annoying Giants fans talking ****.

We got better that day.
Get over it. Everybody.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#472 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Everybody wants to get better until it's time to get better. They dont to give up good players or "comfort" to get better. Further evidence that most of our fans view our saber metric friendly front office as a circus act hoping they spin straw (garbage players) into gold.

If our once in a generation pitcher is a once in a generation pussy about this, then I have no problem trying to get Machado here before 2018.

Im a Dodger fan 1st.
Fan of the players 2nd.
And I want a **** World Series dammit...not chemistry or comfort and another winter of annoying Giants fans talking ****.

We got better that day.
Get over it. Everybody.

you know who else is happy AJ is gone? Zack Greinke. it's been a miracle to watch a OPS+ 49 plyaer on a major league roster and not get scoled by the fans or the fellow players. AJ has posted better than 100 OPS+ just once in the last 4 years. it would be perfectly okay if he was a defensive stalwart but he wasn't that either. AJ called decent games but Ruiz called WS championship level of games. his framing sucks but with a month to go, losing a strike per his start becomes meaningless. if we are mentally gonna fall apart for having one guy who didn't even play through our rise to the top of NLW get traded, we are mental midgets that couldnt get through the playoffs deep enough to make it anyway.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#473 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Neddy wrote:if we are mentally gonna fall apart for having one guy who didn't even play through our rise to the top of NLW get traded, we are mental midgets that couldnt get through the playoffs deep enough to make it anyway.

Exactly
Ranma
RealGM

No Thanks 

Post#474 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:13 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Lux's Debute in Rookie Ball 

Post#475 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 1, 2016 5:18 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Bellinger Living Up to Status as Dodgers' #1 Prospect 

Post#476 » by Ranma » Fri Sep 2, 2016 6:37 am

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Callis Talks About De Leon's Call-Up 

Post#477 » by Ranma » Sat Sep 3, 2016 8:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Increased Strength Through Elevated Weighted-Balls Training 

Post#478 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 7, 2016 6:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Prospects on the Rise 

Post#479 » by Ranma » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Jonathan Mayo, MLB.com (9/15/16)
Cody Bellinger, 1B/OF, Dodgers' No. 1
Clay Bellinger's son had a breakout season in 2015 when he led the California League in runs and RBIs and finished second in home runs. But given that it was in a hitter-friendly league and that his batting average took a big hit as his strikeout rate soared, people wanted to see what Bellinger would do at the upper levels. All he did was lower his K rate, raise his walk rate and still hit 26 homers in the regular season. Unranked on the Top 100 when the season started, he is currently No. 32.

10 Prospects Who Raised Their Stock in 2016

Jim Callis, MLB.com (9/15/16)
Read on Twitter

Part of the Dodgers' $150 million-plus international spending splurge (counting bonuses, guaranteed salaries and tax penalties) in 2015-16, Alvarez signed for $16 million, and the club paid an equal amount as a penalty for exceeding its bonus pool. He made his pro debut this summer, and it was spectacular: a 2.12 ERA, a 81/21 strikeout/walk ratio and a .185 opponent average in 59 1/3 innings between Rookie ball and low Class A. Alvarez hasn't allowed a run in nine innings over two starts in the Midwest League playoffs, helping the Great Lakes Loons reach the finals.

Alvarez has the stuff to match those numbers, too. The 20-year-old right-hander works at 96-97 mph with a fastball that can hit 101 mph, and he can overmatch hitters with a slider that can reach 90 mph. He also has developed a hard curveball and is working on a changeup. There were some questions about Alvarez's control when he signed, but he did a good job of throwing strikes in his introduction to pro ball.

We snuck Alvarez onto MLBPipeline.com's Top 100 Prospects list late this summer, and he currently sits at No. 96. I suspect we'll move him up when we revamp the list again in January, and if he continues to pitch like this, he could shoot up the Top 100 next season.

Inbox: How Good is Dodgers Prospect Alvarez?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#480 » by Neddy » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:01 am

it's only been two days since the Dodgers got eliminated but I am already having a serious case of baseball withdrawal symptoms.

been looking up our prospects and who are likely to make it and who are most likely trade chips, and as of now, our position prospects seem filled with future LFers.

thanks to Quake pointing out to me, I looked up WIllie Calhoun's scouting report beyond his stat lines. his defense in deed is in question to stick as a middle infielder. looks to me he played mostly in JC as an OFer or 3B. if we somehow end up not signing Turner back, I think we potentially have a replacement in a couple of years... but as of now there is a greater chance that either he makes it as our LFer or be a trading chip.

Alex Verdugo is looking good, but our OF also looks still jampacked. Ethier's contract will be done after next season and I can't see us signing him back unless it's for the minimum and he is our primary LH pinch hitter. we still have Joc, Thompson, Toles, SVS, ****, and Verdugo, Diaz, and Calhoun coming up at least. the more I give it a thought Thompson and Toles should be mated for platoon for now. SVS still to me deserves a shot at at least being a platoon mate with Ethier next season in the RF.

Cody Bellinger seems almost ready. he has reached the AAA at the end of this 2016 and in 11 at bats, he belted 3 HRs outta the park. he too seem to be our LFer until Gonzo is no longer on our roster.

what do we do with Gavin Lux? at age 18, he batted .296 in merely 228 at bats. granted it was between Arizona rookie league and Pioneer league, both in R level leagues.... but he is not a small kid either. at 6-2 190 LBS, he has the potential to find some damn power. he hit ZERO homeruns so far tho. 13 doubles and 5 triples do seem to indicate gap power with some running speed that is at least okay, if not slightly better. he's got 2 steals as well. but the number that stood out to me is his .375 OBP. he has gotten on base around 0.080 better than his BA. yeah it is a rookie level league result, but it still tells me this kid has patience to be selective. other than a few outliers, either you are a player born with the ability to walk, or you are not. I believe taking a walk is the hardest skill to teach other than obvious DNA based skills such as power and reaction speed. ( or trying to convert lefty to a righty )
IF Gavin Lux is for real, which I didn't think he was at the time of the draft, does it mean we move Seager to 3B? Gavin would have to prove to be a much superior defensive SS than Corey and I don't know if that is the case here at all. If he does blossom into a good hitting, great glove middle infielder, is he the future 2B for us with Willie either beating out Toles, get traded, or make it as a 3B?

Jordan Sheffield, I am sure most of us if not all of us ( which is now standing at 5 regular posters lol) agree he is the future closer. he is not very tall but listed as 6 foot ( doubtful) at 185 LBS ( no doubt) I see more of Marcus Stroman but with red warning label on his medical chart. I don't see him as a starter but with his dynomite fastball and two future above non-fastballs, ( slider and change up) he has a very high ceiling as a closer or a set up man but so far his small sample of record in 12 innings reeks of a high bust potential as well.

Walker Buehler is the other closer candidate in my book. we have Urias - De Leon - Trevor Oaks as the future starters with Maeda, Ryu ( hopefully he is healthy), McCarthy under contract and that is not counting our Ace Kershaw. I can also see the possibility of having Sheffield and Buehler being our CP/SU combo in 3 years.

Yadier Alvarez is the one I personally think is most likely to turn a starter among these trio of pitchers so far I have discussed. love his size, love his delivery which reminds me so much of Ramon Martinez, and his devastating fastball.

problem is, none of these three pitchers are anywhere near contributing anytime soon.

shoot, I fully understand as I have already stated, this is a symptom of my baseball withdrawal, but I can't help it. and love the possibility of Ronny Brito's potential. a 17 year old with already an elite defense. I actually like him to be the future SS that moves Seager to 3rd as the clearly superior defender. the more I think about it, Gavin Lux is still a trading chip if Ronny can just hit above .700 OPS.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers