ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2014 Offseason Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Official 2014 Offseason Thread 

Post#81 » by Neddy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:44 am

there is this vicious rumor going around that we are interested in Irwin Santana. although i think he is a quality pitcher and a good addition to our rotation, no way in hell he is worth forking over a 1st round pick for, while paying somewhere between 10 to 20 million dollars per year.... for a guy who will be battling to be a 4th or 5th pitcher in our rotation.

on the other hand, Michael Young is talking about choosing between only two choices. one is to retire, and the other to play for the dodgers. i would hate to see him everyday at any position, but i would welcome him with open arms and maybe even a banner for him if he is our utility infielder coming off the bench, and let one of the extra outfielders of the foursome to be the primary pinch hitter as well.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#82 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 2, 2014 12:04 am

don't want Santana.

can't lie...3.55 is a pretty crap number for AJ Ellis given what he means to the team, his years of loyalty and how much money this team has spent.

he deserved to get a 3 year deal worth 15-18.
and split time on the bac half of the deal.
he's freaking poor by Guggenheim Dodger standards.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#83 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 4, 2014 3:03 am

news out of LA is saying that Donny Balls want to have Puig leadoff, slide Crawford at 2 to have R-L-R-L-R-L for the first 6 batsman until kemp is healthy enough to come back. i like it. although i think Puig's power and speed is better served at 2 or even 3 hole, he did post the highest OBP last year. hope crawford and ramirez stay healthy most of the season and Gonzo finally get his power back.

man Uribe better not screw us when he is slotted right in between Gonzo and Ethier. but we do have a potential for a dynamite lineup.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#84 » by Kilroy » Tue Feb 4, 2014 8:55 pm

I agree, it sounds good on paper... Can't wait to see it... Our pitching seems solid too.

Wearing my Dodger hat around Austin... There are a lot of people excited about this season. It will be fun...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#85 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 4, 2014 10:48 pm

what's the arroyo talk all about?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#86 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 5, 2014 3:23 am

probably that Beckett isn't looking good coming back from thoracic outlet syndrome and Billingsley is no where near coming back by may. i wouldn't give Arroyo a 3 year deal as he is asking for, but surely a 1 year deal plus 1 year team option would be nice.
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#87 » by Kilroy » Thu Feb 6, 2014 8:40 pm

I don't know anything about the Arroyo talk other than TyCobb thinks his hair is dreamy...

Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM

Post#88 » by Neddy » Sat Feb 8, 2014 12:27 am

so, the great white cornrows is now a Arizona Dirtbag.

looks like Ned is gonna hang his hat on Beckett as our 5th starter, unless Ross Stripling or Zach Lee or Matt Magill or Stephen Fife could unseat Beckett in spring training/pre season. Chad will eventually make it back by mid season too.

come to think of it, I am not too worried about our 5th starter. at least one out of Beckett/Stripling/Lee/Magill/Fife/Billingsley would work out.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#89 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Feb 8, 2014 7:04 pm

Paul Malholm.

-___-

come on Beckett or Bills.
get healthy.
this is turrible.
and Haren...dont suck...im going under the impression that ur past ur bad back
Neddy
RealGM

Post#90 » by Neddy » Sat Feb 8, 2014 8:20 pm

one source i have read says Paul Maholm is on a guaranteed major league contract, and Beckett maybe on his way to a designated for assignment soon, but another report says Maholm is on a minor league contract and just an invitation to the camp. Maholm is not good in any shape or form, but he isn't bad. he is a dead on league average in terms of FiP, WHIP, and maybe better than he looks on xFiP. in fact, if you ignore the WS and just look at the raw stats Maholm registered pretty similar to Andy Pettitte last season.

either way, may the best man win the job. the 5th starter will hardly play in april, and after a few more starts in may and early june, chad billingsley should be coming back. now we have Beckett/Maholm/Billingsley/Lee/Stripling/MaGill/Fife competing for 1 spot. come to think of it as having 10 major league starters on a 5 man rotation. depth is never a bad thing.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#91 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 9, 2014 5:48 pm

signing of malholm makes me think back to Billingsley trying to rehab his arm without surgery.
damn if he would have got surgery before ST last year we might not be in this shape.

do we have any word on Kemp?
i read on ESPN that he hasn't run yet even though surgery was in October.
since we're not trading him and more than likely are gonna play him, he needs to be ready by May.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#92 » by Neddy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:49 am

forget Kemp. if he ever returns to the 2011 form, it is all gravy but at this point we must march on with the mentality that he won't be back this year at all, and Dre is the man at CF.

in fact, i wish the dodgers had some stat geeks in position of power to say that having Crawford at leadoff or 2nd is a bad idea. the man does not get on base to merit his lineup position at all. Dre should be the leadoff, Puig should be our #2, Gonzo and Hanley should follow. Dre's OBP is superior to CC and he takes more pitches per at bat.

hey dude you should visit my new thread about the projections of the pitching staff and give your 2 cents.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#93 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Neddy
RealGM

Post#94 » by Neddy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:23 am

naw. i can honestly say i have never heard of him until this signing. all i know is probably the same thing you have heard already. all glove, no bat. despite his excellent defense, he has no speed around the bases, 23 year old young man with 6 years of Cuban pro league experience already. i did ask my latina employee to help me pronounce the damn name at work and i failed every time.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#95 » by Neddy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:16 am

holy **** guys check out this youtube video i found on this new cuban kid

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1AJUHPDF8E[/youtube]

if he can bring this defense everyday, i wouldn't care if he bats .220 as some project him to be
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#96 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:28 am

i don't like Hanley at 3rd.

so the idea of bringing up SSs makes me think we don't have a real plan to sign him long term.
and we shouldn't have a plan to do that. he's 30...doesnt play a good SS and gets hurt.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#97 » by Neddy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:10 am

i don't like Hanley at 3rd either. as bad as his defensive stats have been over at SS, it was worse at 3rd... much worse. i love Hanley's bat, but there is no place for him here in a couple of years. although i don't envision Corey Seager to be a superstar as some do, i see him being a solid 3rd baseman in about 2, maybe 3 years from now. Hanley is better off playing out his contract, play well in his contract year, and get that long term deal he is seeking from a AL team so he can plug in a half of his at bats at DH unless he doesn't mind a 2 year extension.

i think Kasten is seeing Arruebarruena as our everyday SS, guerrero as our everyday 2nd, and Seager as our everyday 3rd in very near future, and i like the plan.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#98 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:41 am

you're really blowing your load on 27 games in high A ball for Seager.

the kid is 19 years old.
im betting my money on it right now...1 year from now, you will not feel the same way about Seager
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#99 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:11 pm

also.

the this new kid from Cuba...do we have any reason to expect his hit tool to come around?
If we don't, we have a guy in our system who can play an awesome short and not hit in Sellers.
i literally don't mind having a sorry hitting Stephen Drew type SS....I think id want Ellis to get on base like he did in previous years. But I can't have his poor output last year batting 7th and then a sorry hitting SS 8th and then the pitcher.

i want to flip Joc Pederson for a player that makes us better.
this franchise isn't going to trade any of our outfielders and they can't.

Joc and Zach Lee for Brandon Beachy....i dunno.
just someone that makes us better.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#100 » by Neddy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:you're really blowing your load on 27 games in high A ball for Seager.

the kid is 19 years old.
im betting my money on it right now...1 year from now, you will not feel the same way about Seager

perhaps. if Seager becomes the next mike trout or harper, i wouldn't complain one bit and gladly eat my crow, but i am projecting him more as a .275 / .330 / .410 guy with 15-20 HRs annually while manning the hot corner. i think that is a great projection all by itself.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers