ImageImageImageImageImage

season opener game thread!

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

season opener game thread! 

Post#1 » by Neddy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:22 am

I'll be up 1 AM for this one, i hope i won't be alone!!!!

go DODGERS!
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Re: season opener game thread! 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:12 am

according to Ken Gurnick, our opening day lineup is...

RF Puig
2B Turner
SS Ramirez
1B Gonzalez
LF Van Slyke
3B Uribe
CF Eithier
C Ellis
P Kershaw

we are facing a lefty, but Turner at 2 hole in the order?
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#3 » by Kilroy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:22 pm

We got the first one! I'm calling it a streak.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Neddy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:04 pm

damn, couldn't stay up past the rain delay.

glad to find out we won decisively, via virtue of slugging bat of Van Slyke. i have always liked his power. 7 HRs in 150 at bats at the majors last season? 800+ OPS? bring it. 8 digit salaried Crawford and Ethier needs to sit their asses down! (at least when a lefty is pitching)
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#5 » by Neddy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:40 pm

i have high hopes for Ryu this season, to be right up there to make our rotation from a big 2 plus to big 3 plus. Ryu needs to prove to me and the rest of dodger fans that he can indeed be equal to Zach Greinke.

I expect Ryu to come out and shut these dirtbags out.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#6 » by Neddy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:58 am

it is just so baffling to hear such ignorance from baseball community regarding SABR-metrics.
Watching the second game of Aussie trip, bottom of 8th, John Smoltz(or was it John Hart?) just said

"I know Sabermetrics guys gets lots of attention and stuff, but there never can be a team put together by these math guys to win anything. you can't have guys one through nine with nothing but On Base Percentage guys. you need some with power, drive in runs, steal bases, I would love to see these stat guys to come out and try to put a team together."

Wow. just made me speechless with such idiotic statement full of stupidity and complete lack of any knowledge of what he is speaking of.

first of all, SABR guys are not looking at guys with great OBPs only. in fact, i don't know any SABR people who looks solely or mostly for players with high OBP to be a be all and end all. OBP is only a part of OPS. Slugging makes up the other 50%. WAR, fWAR are probably more heavily looked at, and OPS+ makes a quick evaluation of players among their peers, as SAT or MCAT, LSAT or DAT does for each respectable profession and their applicants. looks like our John watched a part of Michael Lewis' book-turned-to-movie with some biased idea of a writer from more than a decade ago and thought Mr. Lewis' writing is basic foundation of SABR. sounds like a FoxNews viewer who thinks climate change is a hoax made up by 97% of science community because we are all a bunch of liberals with green-economic agenda.

secondly, we already have a team that was put together by a SABR stat guy, the 2004 Boston Redsox, which was put together by their newly hired senior advisor since 2003, the father of all advanced stat geeks, BIll James. he won the World Series the very first year he had a chance to "put together" a team, you ignorant imbecile, Johnny boy from MLBnetwork... and you also forgot that the very wrong idea about what you think is SABR, only emphasizing OBP, probably came from the "money ball", which is about the Oakland A's put together by Billy Beane in real life since what, 2002? has Johnny boy seen the A's lately? do they have a one through nine of OBP guys? is Cespedes even come close to say, a player like Scott Hatteburg from the book/movie? last time i checked, Theo Epstein still works as a GM in the MLB. Jon Daniels runs his rangers accordingly and last time i checked they are still on top of their division, went to WS in recent years, and still projected to be one of the elite teams this year.

lastly, there are only a few teams around the Major League which doesn't have advanced statistics department/personnel anymore, and those without can be counted in one hand. it is a common practice now to have a group of people who does nothing but analyze stats to evaluate all players at every level, giving recommendations accordingly to their GMs and scouting directors.

so, please, do not open your mouth regarding a subject matter which you have no knowledge of. your ignorance and stupidity oozes out of your mouth every time you speak in dismissive manner when in fact the SABR is not only proven, but a major factor of today's major league baseball that is here to stay. you are nothing more than Ken Ham of baseball.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#7 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:29 am

lol...he had a little word vomit there.
i know YOU ARE going to hold him to those words...but I don't think he's as ignorant on SABRS as that comment suggests....you'd like literally have to have been under a rock to say something like that.

he was pissing me off on the base pads.
wtf.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/stor ... d-behavior

Kilroy:
can you edit this into the season thread?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#8 » by Neddy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:13 pm

Puig is pissing you off, because he is still young, inexperienced in Major League and is hustling? WTF really?

Don the mother loving Mattingley is the one that is pissing me off, with his dumbass starting Mike Baxter, a guy with a career 4 HRs, .229 batter over Van Slyke, who just won the game for us yesterday with 1 Hr and 1 double that should have been a HR simply because of the age old cliche of starting a lefty over righty against a right handed pitching. guess what, bonehead don, SVS has better stats against right handed pitching than left. he hit a slightly above league average against lefties as a right handed bats man last year, but he had over 800 OPS against the righties to this point of his career. Mike Baxter? however you look at him, from career stand point, or 2013 alone, or against starters or against all pitching, the best he can muster against RHP as a LHB is... .708 OPS. that is the very best of him, a whopping 100 points below of SVS who was the only man swinging well in game 1.

**** you donny, we are winning despite of you, as usual, not because of you. no respectable manager in baseball history ever hung a player out to dry in public like you do, in game 2 of the season non the less. Tommy Lasorda was never that way. even if he would cuss and chew out a player behind the doors, he never sold his players out to the media like you and your yankee pinstriped jackass. why did Steinbrenners thought you are not a managerial material? because they knew you. now our ownership is getting to know you.... slowly.

let puig learn, and learn from his mistakes. you have to live and die with young talented players like this sometimes. but you know what we can do without? a **** ex-yankee parading as a manager in National League when you didn't even have a business to do the job in lackadaisical AL. get the **** out.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#9 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Neddy wrote:Puig is pissing you off, because he is still young, inexperienced in Major League and is hustling? WTF really?

Don the mother loving Mattingley is the one that is pissing me off, with his dumbass starting Mike Baxter, a guy with a career 4 HRs, .229 batter over Van Slyke, who just won the game for us yesterday with 1 Hr and 1 double that should have been a HR simply because of the age old cliche of starting a lefty over righty against a right handed pitching. guess what, bonehead don, SVS has better stats against right handed pitching than left. he hit a slightly above league average against lefties as a right handed bats man last year, but he had over 800 OPS against the righties to this point of his career. Mike Baxter? however you look at him, from career stand point, or 2013 alone, or against starters or against all pitching, the best he can muster against RHP as a LHB is... .708 OPS. that is the very best of him, a whopping 100 points below of SVS who was the only man swinging well in game 1.

**** you donny, we are winning despite of you, as usual, not because of you. no respectable manager in baseball history ever hung a player out to dry in public like you do, in game 2 of the season non the less. Tommy Lasorda was never that way. even if he would cuss and chew out a player behind the doors, he never sold his players out to the media like you and your yankee pinstriped jackass. why did Steinbrenners thought you are not a managerial material? because they knew you. now our ownership is getting to know you.... slowly.

let puig learn, and learn from his mistakes. you have to live and die with young talented players like this sometimes. but you know what we can do without? a **** ex-yankee parading as a manager in National League when you didn't even have a business to do the job in lackadaisical AL. get the **** out.

yea...im not happy with the way Don is taking jabs at him in the media.
the kid can opt out of this deal that he will certainly be outplaying and he can leave our organization.

sometimes i think Don treats this kid like he's dumb because he's a foreigner and doesnt speak the language. he's not an idiot. Instead of trying to teach the kid, Don is taking his frustrations with how Puig was groomed into being called up and places them on Puig. Like, "see how stupid that was, thats why I would have handle him differently AKA not called him up last year." If I'm Stan Kasten, I make a call downstairs and tell Don to get his act together because if Puig is unhappy, we're keeping Puig...not him.

and i didn't mind his 1st blunder...he took a risk, it was the fastest or 2n fastest guy in baseball on 3rd....i got it...didnt like it but i understood.
but when he made the 2nd out on the base paths, I was kinda pissed.
he's still my guy....but more of a, "don't give these idiots in the media anything else to feed off of" type mad.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#10 » by Neddy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:21 am

Quake Griffin wrote:sometimes i think Don treats this kid like he's dumb because he's a foreigner and doesnt speak the language.

of course he is. Don did the same to Ryu when he came from the far east. he questioned if Ryu even belonged at this level and made nasty comments that didn't show up in US media but came out in South Korean Media. Don thought Ryu not wanting to pitch bullpen session was a sign of arrogance, he made comments about his fitness level at the spring training, of course Don wasn't alone, as Ken Gurnick also made inflammatory tweets and wrote an article about Ryu's eating and smoking habits. what happened at the end? Ryu posted 3.00 ERA and 1.2 WHIP, and won Don's "precious stat" of 14 wins while pitching 192 innings. this year, most fantasy baseball sites ranked Ryu the 30th best starting pitcher in the majors, some a little higher, some just a few steps below. there are only 30 teams in the baseball and total of 150 starting pitchers that will open the season with.

then there is Puig, the dodgers were deep in the hole, found the rock bottom in the divisional ranking and Don's job was a candle in the wind, Kemp couldn't perform, Hanley was hurt again, Greinke breaks his collarbone, Ted Lilly was a chief resident on DL, and here comes the Cuban Sensation, bringing the dodgers back from the dead, and saving Donny the Incompetent's job along the way.

now Donny seems to have accepted Ryu as one of "his" guys, but Puig is still an outsider. maybe what Puig needs is not other spanish players speaking for him, but to have the dodgers hire a translator who can speak the exact phrases and innuendos the way Don intended, and make correct replies by Puig back to Don, like how Martin Kim did for Ryu. i don't like that players like Adrian Gonzalez seems to be the middle man between the manager and Puig. if Donny slams Puig in the dugout, Yasiel should have the right to know what exactly was said, not getting somebody else's take who is not a professional translator, nor should he get the meaning through body languages. the worst of all, to have Donny say nothing to his face but read about what the manager said about you in some spanish media outlet.

anyhow, my conclusion as always is, **** Donny.

and for that matter, how do you spend 220 million dollars on your 25 men payroll, and have Justin Turner start the 2B for you? and have Chone Figgins as your primary utility guy? and have a backup catcher with no upside who sports below .200 career batting? **** NED COLLETTI while we are at it.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#11 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:02 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:sometimes i think Don treats this kid like he's dumb because he's a foreigner and doesnt speak the language.

completely agreed with all of this

anyhow, my conclusion as always is, **** Donny.

and for that matter, how do you spend 220 million dollars on your 25 men payroll, and have Justin Turner start the 2B for you? and have Chone Figgins as your primary utility guy? and have a backup catcher with no upside who sports below .200 career batting? **** NED COLLETTI while we are at it.

to ur last point...I'm not that down on the backups.

1) SVS can hold down LF, RF and 1B and he's here to do so.
2) I think Guerrero is gonna get a call up and Dee will split time at 2nd with him/ fill in at SS for Hanley and maybe play some outfield...because i read he picked up some CF tools over the winter.
3) my only problem is with who gives Uribe a break when we need it....and that does force Turner and Figgins into the mold...but they honestly do not have to be.

4) it's time to start grooming a catcher. I'm not sure there was another catcher out there that we could have signed who could SOMEWHAT hit. I dunno much about the young kids we picked up out of the dominican....but one of them...groom one....AJ is getting old

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers