ImageImageImageImageImage

Dodgers Stand Pat At Deadline

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Dodgers Stand Pat At Deadline 

Post#1 » by Fresh360Waves » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:23 pm

Ned Coletti kept his word by saying he would not give up any of the top prospects (Urias, Seager, Pederson) for guys like Price, Hamels, and Lester. Personally, I think it was good the Dodgers stood pat at the deadline and didn't become desperate. However, there will be teams that will be putting players on waivers so I feel that the Dodgers will claim at least two players off the waivers. One name that comes to mind is Joaquin Benoit from San Diego. He can be a good setup man in either the 7th or 8th inning. What do you guys think about today's deadline and who should the Dodgers claim off waivers?
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Dodgers Stand Pat At Deadline 

Post#2 » by Neddy » Fri Aug 1, 2014 1:48 am

there is no doubt that contending teams such as the Tigers and A's have gotten better, but I am glad to see Joe Kelly being traded out of NL for the sake of Hanley's health.
we have the best record in NL. other teams had to make adjustments to us, not the other way around. I still like our chances to come out on top in NL.

also, I am not sure if the Cards are significantly better after the trade.
ehhhhh f it.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#3 » by Fresh360Waves » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:04 am

Neddy wrote:there is no doubt that contending teams such as the Tigers and A's have gotten better, but I am glad to see Joe Kelly being traded out of NL for the sake of Hanley's health.
we have the best record in NL. other teams had to make adjustments to us, not the other way around. I still like our chances to come out on top in NL.

also, I am not sure if the Cards are significantly better after the trade.

I agree. I'm just glad Price wasn't traded to a NL team. Masterson and Lackey were interesting acquisitions considering the Cards main issue is hitting, not pitching.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#4 » by Neddy » Fri Aug 1, 2014 6:52 am

Masterson isn't going to cause trouble for anybody, at least this year based on what he has done so far, and what he has done so far is pretty far from his all-star year performance. Lackey could potentially find his motivation and thus his mojo, but his stat lines aren't any different from Joe Kelly, with only difference being experience and the Cards lost Craig over this deal, which for my beloved dodgers, i like very much.

out of all these teams that made a deal, the one that i think made the most upgrade is the A's.
their playoff rotation will sport Jon Lester / Jeff Samardjiza / Sonny gray / Scott Kazmir
their collective WHIPS and FIPs are pretty impressive.

with the decline of Justin Verlander, I am not as worried about the tigers, although the motivated version of Price could change the landscape of the AL championship, they do sport now Max / Price / Anibal / Porcello then the struggling yet a Cy Young winner Verlander.

the Cards now having Wainwright / Lackey / Lynn / Masterson / and when healthy, Wacha, doesn't strike much fear in me at all.

our own of Kershaw / Greinke / Ryu seems the best when only the top 3 pitchers are concerned, and in playoffs, the top 3 counts far more than the top 4. Kershaw is better than anyone in all baseball, Greinke is pitching out of his mind, Ryu is out to prove that he is worthy of a consideration of being an Ace on other teams. Beckett/Haren combo can be effective if they were given enough rest prior to the playoffs.

our problem that was not solved at the trade deadline imo is the bullpen. we are 22nd out of 30 baseball clubs in terms of the bullpen effectiveness, and that needs to improve before we go into october.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#5 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Aug 1, 2014 8:51 pm

The Cards don't scare me (they didn't last year until Kelly broke Hanley's rib).

Wacha has a shoulder injury and was put on the 60 day DL. He might never be the same considering that. Shelby Miller has underperformed this year. These were deals they made to patch up this year's short comings as well as to help them in the up coming years because the investments of Wacha and Miller may not pan out. Desperate moves but solid desperate moves. They're still missing Yadier and losing him hurts them worse than any other team missing their best player. I don't see them making the playoffs but it's possible.

Glad we didn't move Kemp and that he proved me wrong. Now, can his agent shut the hell up and let us focus on ball.

I think our SP is fine and we can make it going 4 deep in the playoffs (something we couldn't do last year because Nolasco was garbage).

Trading for Lester and Price is essentially trading top end prospects in hopes that either of them pitch well for us in 3 to 4 starts in the postseason. 1 sloppy start in the postseason (which Price has had but not Lester) from either can make the deal look blah.

As much as we want to win now, one look at the Phillies current situation can show u what win-now-deadline-deals can do to a team.

Kasten said in 2012 the money was to make us competitive until we could implement a self sustaining pipeline of players. As much as it sucks...it's true...our $235 million team is a bridge to tomorrow. If we win, great...but I see something MUCH bigger at work. Not only that, I see the talent and STAR POWER in the kids we have down under.

We're going to love having an all American Jeter kid with a great pedigree like Seager. Our Latino fan base is going to go crazy over Julio Urias when he starts K'ing ppl. Fernando-Mania in the twitter era. The Cuban-Connection. Erisbel 'istartfightsandrunfromthem' Arrabuerena, Puig (and potentially Guerrero, who knows).

We have a chance to be a great team for years and possibly the coolest team in sports moving forward.

Ship that for Price n Lester rentals? I'm cool.
Give me a bullpen arm and I'm good.
This team can win as it is anyway.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#6 » by Neddy » Sat Aug 2, 2014 10:45 pm

we must go hard after the waver's deal now on quality relief pitchers. we can't go into the playoffs with the 22nd ranked bullpen. i don't trust anyone but JP right now.
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers