ImageImageImageImageImage

2014 Playoff/WS Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Re: 2014 Los Angeles Dodgers Playoff Thread 

Post#61 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 8, 2014 12:06 am

hurt to see Clay give that up but he pitched great up until that point.

I'm proud of him getting back in there like that.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#62 » by Neddy » Wed Oct 8, 2014 1:04 am

Quake Griffin wrote:hurt to see Clay give that up but he pitched great up until that point.

I'm proud of him getting back in there like that.

i took my laptop with me to the office and watched the game while working. I started to scream again when i saw Mattingly leaving Kershaw in there for the 7th and instantly gave up a hit. I got angry and threw a balled up paper towels on the screen when he gave up that second hit, everybody knew what was coming next and what does Mattingly do? of course not a damn thing. after that HR, i closed the laptop.

it is time. Magic messed up, Ned messed up, and Guggenheim messed up. it is time to right the wrong.

fire Don Mattingly now. we cannot have any success as long as this idiot is at the helm.

oh and my biggest pet peeve during this divisional series. Don Mattingly had no idea what to do each and every time a decisive action was needed, and yet he couldn't shut the hell up to the media and even gave live interview during games. WTF. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
ehhhhh f it.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#63 » by Kilroy » Wed Oct 8, 2014 1:46 am

That'd be a start at least... I think we're missing a few other pieces too, but upgrading Don would at least send the right message and get the ball rolling.

Rotation... A couple OBP guys... Our power guys finding some consistency... A glue guy...

But none of that matters if we have a GM that doesn't have a plan...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Neddy
RealGM

Post#64 » by Neddy » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:07 am

Kilroy wrote:That'd be a start at least... I think we're missing a few other pieces too, but upgrading Don would at least send the right message and get the ball rolling.

Rotation... A couple OBP guys... Our power guys finding some consistency... A glue guy...

But none of that matters if we have a GM that doesn't have a plan...

just so you know, My screen name Neddy is a shortened version of my old name from the other site FireNedColletti

which later as a joke made a dup that called don'tfireNed and got stuck with it when the admin got caught up with me.

I am disgusted with Ned and despise Don.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#65 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:36 am

New manager would be a great start. I'm praying for Scioscia.

getting younger in our pen and having more heat coming out of our pen would also help....the experiment of signing people who used to close was potato for a myriad of reasons and it failed miserably.

after that, I'm just hoping Dee and Puig improve over the winter.

I'd like us to sign Russell Martin back this offseason if he'll even hear out our new management.

and I'm still not sure about Hanley. we're not in the American League where we can DH his bat....so it's like we're truly at a crossroads...is he going to be a Dodger or not?
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#66 » by Neddy » Wed Oct 8, 2014 2:42 am

Quake Griffin wrote:New manager would be a great start. I'm praying for Scioscia.

getting younger in our pen and having more heat coming out of our pen would also help....the experiment of signing people who used to close was potato for a myriad of reasons and it failed miserably.

after that, I'm just hoping Dee and Puig improve over the winter.

I'd like us to sign Russell Martin back this offseason if he'll even hear out our new management.

and I'm still not sure about Hanley. we're not in the American League where we can DH his bat....so it's like we're truly at a crossroads...is he going to be a Dodger or not?

i would love me some Mike Scioscia, but i doubt the angels will let him go. I wish they would.

i don't know if the dodger brass would fire Don as he is owed his freshly signed lucrative extension just about to kick in, but if we do fire him the last person i want to replace him is Kirk Gibson.

Hanley should be done. we have Guerrero / Arruebarruena / Seager waiting and ready.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#67 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Oct 8, 2014 5:25 pm

i truly wonder if heads will roll here. I get that we want both of them gone, but for some reason I think they might want to stay put. I hope eventually someone just has to be the fall guy for this and Donnie and Ned lose their job.

Things I'd like to see done over the winter:
- Fire Don
- Fire Ned
- Let Hanley walk.
- Get from under Carl Crawford....trade or designate...w/e...get him out of here, i don't care if he had a good year.
- Decline Billingsley's team option
- Get from under every expensive guy in our bullpen. Brian Wilson has a player Option. League is signed through the end of next season. Perez is still arbitration eligible. I want all of these guys gone.
- Go with the youth in our pen. Withrow will be back. Dominguez (another year where we gave up on him too early imo). Frias. Baez. Paco. Jansen. We might need another left hander. I cannot tell u how annoyed I get knowing we have NO FLAMES coming out of our pen except Hanley because we don't trust Baez and Frias yet.
- Sign Russel Martin
- Let's go defense in SS and CF....The only thing is, would Puig accept playing in Left? Puig-Joc-Matt? And...who at SS? Arraburuena?

The SS and CF questions I have no answers for because I'm not sure about the offensive production I can get from those positions. I'd like to let Hanley walk but I want to pick up another bat in his absence.

It's time to get back to being the pitching and defense franchise that we are. We play in the National League West....not the American League. I hate being weak up the middle defensively and I hate having no bullpen. That's not in our character. That's not Dodger baseball.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#68 » by Neddy » Thu Oct 9, 2014 3:56 am

i started a petition on change.org. please check it out and sign it. let every dodger fan know.

https://www.change.org/p/to-the-los-ang ... -mattingly

thanks.
ehhhhh f it.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#69 » by Fresh360Waves » Thu Oct 9, 2014 8:00 am

Quake Griffin wrote:i truly wonder if heads will roll here. I get that we want both of them gone, but for some reason I think they might want to stay put. I hope eventually someone just has to be the fall guy for this and Donnie and Ned lose their job.

Things I'd like to see done over the winter:
- Fire Don
- Fire Ned
- Let Hanley walk.
- Get from under Carl Crawford....trade or designate...w/e...get him out of here, i don't care if he had a good year.
- Decline Billingsley's team option
- Get from under every expensive guy in our bullpen. Brian Wilson has a player Option. League is signed through the end of next season. Perez is still arbitration eligible. I want all of these guys gone.
- Go with the youth in our pen. Withrow will be back. Dominguez (another year where we gave up on him too early imo). Frias. Baez. Paco. Jansen. We might need another left hander. I cannot tell u how annoyed I get knowing we have NO FLAMES coming out of our pen except Hanley because we don't trust Baez and Frias yet.
- Sign Russel Martin
- Let's go defense in SS and CF....The only thing is, would Puig accept playing in Left? Puig-Joc-Matt? And...who at SS? Arraburuena?

The SS and CF questions I have no answers for because I'm not sure about the offensive production I can get from those positions. I'd like to let Hanley walk but I want to pick up another bat in his absence.

It's time to get back to being the pitching and defense franchise that we are. We play in the National League West....not the American League. I hate being weak up the middle defensively and I hate having no bullpen. That's not in our character. That's not Dodger baseball.

That's the big question mark however. If the Dodgers let Hanley walk, that would leave Arruebarrena, Rojas, and Guerrero to grab that SS spot and they all unproven and need to improve their hitting. This winter is also not a great market for SS's either. I think the Dodgers will just end up paying Hanley, but I think Hanley should at least get a 2-3 yr deal due to the fact he gets injured a lot. Signing him to a 5-yr deal and he's about to turn 31 is a huge red flag.

Crawford.. I guess the Dodgers could try and shop him around but that contract... :banghead: I think Ethier can be traded especially if we eat a good portion of his contract. Get a nice setup man in return.

And then yet again, the Dodgers will need another starting pitcher. I hope we can get Shields especially since he's a CA native. He may want to come home. But if the Royals were to hypothetically make the World Series, it could be hard. Scherzer and Lester have seem to decline a bit.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#70 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:50 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
- Let Hanley walk.

instead of just letting Hanley walk, we should make him a qualifying offer. of course he won't sign it, but if any team out there wants to sign him, ala the Yankees, then we get their #1 pick for a compensation. if no team opts to sign Hanley in fear of losing their #1 rounder, then we get him back at a moderate price for one more year while Corey Seager is getting his AAA seasoning done.

I think this is the right way to go about it.

and if Hanley is signed and we get a compensation pick, we can then choose between Guerrero and Arruebarrena or even throw in Rojas in that mix for whomever to win the job. I personally prefer Erisbel.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#71 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:56 am

oh and this is the reason why I have always said Logan White is the man.

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/626/a ... -81626845/

Kasten had barely unpacked his office when the new owners had to decide whether Puig would be worth their millions. Logan White, who ran domestic and international scouting under the financially strapped McCourt administration, recommended the Dodgers spend the money on Puig. Since then, Kasten has returned White to his specialty — domestic scouting — and assembled a fully staffed international scouting unit. On his way out, White recommended Hyun-Jin Ryu, and the new international scouts agreed.

Bob Engle, the Dodgers' vice president of international scouting, and his scouts recommended Alex Guerrero and projected him as the Dodgers' second baseman this season. He did not make the team out of spring training. They recommended shortstop Erisbel Arruebarrena, who plays good defense but has yet to show he can hit major league pitching. And they warned against engaging in a bidding war for pitcher Masahiro Tanaka, saying he would be good but not great. That's 0 for 3 so far.

i have to say, i missed on Tanaka too. I too thought he would be good but not great.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#72 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:37 am

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
- Let Hanley walk.

instead of just letting Hanley walk, we should make him a qualifying offer. of course he won't sign it, but if any team out there wants to sign him, ala the Yankees, then we get their #1 pick for a compensation. if no team opts to sign Hanley in fear of losing their #1 rounder, then we get him back at a moderate price for one more year while Corey Seager is getting his AAA seasoning done.

and if Hanley is signed and we get a compensation pick, we can then choose between Guerrero and Arruebarrena or even throw in Rojas in that mix for whomever to win the job. I personally prefer Erisbel.

word on the qualifying offer thing...but i hope he rejects it and someone signs him.

if he stays, i want him to move to 3rd.
I know he was a TERRIBLE 3rd Basemen but I don't want to go another year being this weak up the middle. I'd rather be weak at a corner than SS.

I want Erisbel at SS no matter what. IDC that he can't hit. He has skills that rival Andrelton Simmons to me.
Andrelton Simmons had a .286 OBP last year (HE SUCKS WITH THE BAT) and still had a 2.3 WAR for 12th in the majors among SSs. that just goes to show you how far a great glove at the most important position will go.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#73 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:45 am

http://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-ru ... 2014/10/09

oh and heres a link saying our top target for GM is Andrew Friedman from Tampa.
he built some great teams in Tampa...but his last few drafts have been trash.

whatever....looks like Longoria and Price were nabbed on his watch.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#74 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:56 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:
- Let Hanley walk.

word on the qualifying offer thing...but i hope he rejects it and someone signs him.

if he stays, i want him to move to 3rd.
I know he was a TERRIBLE 3rd Basemen but I don't want to go another year being this weak up the middle. I'd rather be weak at a corner than SS.

I want Erisbel at SS no matter what. IDC that he can't hit. He has skills that rival Andrelton Simmons to me.
Andrelton Simmons had a .286 OBP last year (HE SUCKS WITH THE BAT) and still had a 2.3 WAR for 12th in the majors among SSs. that just goes to show you how far a great glove at the most important position will go.

well looks like we both agree on Arruebarruena as our SS here, so that's good. and if we can get a pick out of Hanley, that is just a cherry on top. i honestly think Hanley will be signed, to an AL team and most likely the Yankees as they don't have a replacement for jeter yet, and having Hanley who can sport DH a half the time and give you the type of the bat in the middle of the lineup, would be a great way to bring up the next SS of the Yankees from their farm system.

so, the probable projection of the next year's dodgers would be something like this.

1. L 2B Dee Gordon ; I hate his OBP. but a better version of Juan Pierre
2. R LF Yasiel Puig ; his arm will be wasted in the LF
3. L 1B Adrian Gonzalez ; who else?
4. R RF Matt Kemp ; hopefully this second half was a sign of his return
5. R C Russell Martin ; we cannot afford to have AJ swing with Erisbel here
6. R 3B Juan Uribe ; hope the contract year Uribe does it again.
7. L CF Joc Pederson ; he may move up to protect Kemp if Joc can hit.
8. R SS Erisbel Arruebarrena ; all world glove, .250 batting if we are lucky. but will solidify our defense.

bench

9. R C AJ Ellis ; Kershaw wants him back. well, he can have him as his personal catcher.
10. R OF/1B Van Slyke ; our best SLG % player of the year has yet to gain a starting position.
11. R IF/Ut Justin Turner ; probably the most surprising bench player of the year.
12. R IF/Ut Alex Guerrero ; he is already 27. he batted .329, OBP .364, and slugged .613. @ Albuquerque.
13. L LF Carl Crawford ; lets face it. he is not tradable. no sane GM on the planet would take him.

now here comes the trouble with projected 180-190 million dollar payroll guggenheim is planning for the next year.

the 13 position players alone, could cost well past 100 million depending on what the arbitration will cost, and what martin would demand. now add Kershaw's extension, Greinke's deal, and Ryu, that is more than 60 million dollars. now add Dan Haren picking up his option. now 4 starter will cost 70 or more. WIlson already picked up his option. now 80. there is brandon league's contact. now its 90. we just maxed out. we cannot add another pitcher to the roster according to the budget. so what i think is most likely is

1. Kershaw
2. Greinke
3. Ryu
4. Haren
5. a rookie like Zach Lee who will cost next to nothing.
6. Jensen closing, but arbitration will jack up his 4.3 mil for much more.
7. Wilson
8. League
9. Frias
10. Baez
11. Dominguez
12. Elbert
13. possibly at the end of the season Withrow.

that's it really. so its gonna be the same team minus Hanley's bat and no addition to the pitching staff, and signing Russell Martin is a big question mark in my view too. there is a possibility we just roll with AJ and Drew once again which would mean possibly the worst offense in all baseball for the bottom 1/3
ehhhhh f it.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers