ImageImageImageImageImage

Fire Don Mattingly

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: Fire Don Mattingly 

Post#21 » by Neddy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:tonight makes me even more angry that Donnie is still our skipper.

**** him.

Andrew better come through and be worth every **** penny of his contract.

so far this off season, we wanted Donnie gone, and Ned gone. I personally was hoping Logan White's promotion but was hesitant because his talent shines on player scouting and evaluations. instead, what happens?

Donnie stays, and Logan is gone. Ned isn't fired but "promoted" to make room for Andrew who wants his own people to do the jobs Logan was doing (and also Watkins whom i haven't mentioned but was a valuable asset to the team)

so in my view, Andrew not only must perform above and beyond to do Ned's job and Logan's job, but he also must overcome Donnie's incompetencies. that's a lot of challenges and obstacles.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#22 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Neddy wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:tonight makes me even more angry that Donnie is still our skipper.

**** him.

so far this off season, we wanted Donnie gone, and Ned gone. I personally was hoping Logan White's promotion but was hesitant because his talent shines on player scouting and evaluations. instead, what happens?

Donnie stays, and Logan is gone. Ned isn't fired but "promoted" to make room for Andrew who wants his own people to do the jobs Logan was doing (and also Watkins whom i haven't mentioned but was a valuable asset to the team)

so in my view, Andrew not only must perform above and beyond to do Ned's job and Logan's job, but he also must overcome Donnie's incompetencies. that's a lot of challenges and obstacles.

this scares me because the Rays didn't draft well after I think like...07.
Longoria and Price were top picks in the 06 and 07 drafts respectively. You couldn't miss them. He gets credit for Matt Moore in the 8th Round in the 07 draft....but other then that, he's been most effective on the trade market.

All the pitching talent was found 07 or earlier.
Price
Shields (just before Friedman was even thought of in Tampa)
Hellickson
Moore
Cobb

Archer...via trade.
Odorizzi....via trade.

so it makes me wonder.
1)Why couldn't tampa put anything together with their late 1st round picks?; and
2) What has Friedman done internationally (in the islands or Korea/ China)?

Isn't our franchise moving towards building a "PIPELINE" (as Kasten keeps calling it) from underneath to our major league squad? Then why would our franchise abandon a guy who has drafted well for us for over 10 years and go with a guy who has proven mostly his value is trading assets? He's another Beane. Another Sabean.

It just stinks man....and given that Stan Kasten said during Friedman's press conference that they're not sure how all the positions will work out because they're basically throwing the deal together just to get Friedman here, I'm not sure if this was well organized or more throwing money at the problem.

I have faith in Friedman.
but 1-2 weeks in. I'm not happy....just being honest.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#23 » by Neddy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

**** him.

this scares me because the Rays didn't draft well after I think like...07.
Longoria and Price were top picks in the 06 and 07 drafts respectively. You couldn't miss them. He gets credit for Matt Moore in the 8th Round in the 07 draft....but other then that, he's been most effective on the trade market.

All the pitching talent was found 07 or earlier.
Price
Shields (just before Friedman was even thought of in Tampa)
Hellickson
Moore
Cobb

Archer...via trade.
Odorizzi....via trade.

so it makes me wonder.
1)Why couldn't tampa put anything together with their late 1st round picks?; and
2) What has Friedman done internationally (in the islands or Korea/ China)?

Isn't our franchise moving towards building a "PIPELINE" (as Kasten keeps calling it) from underneath to our major league squad? Then why would our franchise abandon a guy who has drafted well for us for over 10 years and go with a guy who has proven mostly his value is trading assets? He's another Beane. Another Sabean.

It just stinks man....and given that Stan Kasten said during Friedman's press conference that they're not sure how all the positions will work out because they're basically throwing the deal together just to get Friedman here, I'm not sure if this was well organized or more throwing money at the problem.

I have faith in Friedman.
but 1-2 weeks in. I'm not happy....just being honest.

a couple of corrections...

South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan is where the asian baseball happens. no baseball prospects from China.

a good chance that the TampaBay Rays did not allocate enough funds or a decent scout for international scouting. this was the case for us during the McDuck Era. we simply couldn't afford any.

other than that, I agree 100%. I am starting to think the power to be must had something against Logan White, as he was turned down twice and Kim Ng was also let go, and we are either somehow in love with Ned for not firing him or feel indebted to him to not fire him. we hired this Gnat bozo over Kim and Logan, after all. nobody evaluated better than Logan, and nobody negotiated better than Kim. instead, we got stuck with Ned.

in times like this, I miss Paul DePodesta. he was the brain behind the A's success, he was the one who actually made SABRmetrics applicable. if we had Paul, Logan, and Kim all acting as one third of the GM role, we would have already been in a couple of WS. Paul is too socially awkward? let Kim speak. Kim can't quite get the feel for a player? let Logan and Paul evaluate both eyeball test and stat evaluation. we need someone to around up the scouting report? Logan will handle that. a deep and massive volume of lower level minor scouting report that is too much for scouts? Paul can punch up the data.

what could have, and should have been. :cry:
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#24 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:48 pm

my bad....i meant Japan. I have no idea what kind of psychological error i made there...but whichever one applies, that's what I meant.***

apologies if that mistake offended you too.

I'm gonna give the Dodgers a rest for the Clips the next couple nights man.
We're going to revisit this Paul DePodesta topic though. Because I find it funny he was run out of town, replaced by a bum and now we're back trying to implement strategies/ analytics he would have implemented over the last 10 years.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#25 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:26 am

Quake Griffin wrote:my bad....i meant Japan. I have no idea what kind of psychological error i made there...but whichever one applies, that's what I meant.***

apologies if that mistake offended you too.

WTF LOL no man I am not offended in anyway possible, brother :lol: I was just pointing out the mistake and Im sure you would do the same if I made a similar mistake without any offended feelings, seriously, lol.
it's easy to slip as names like Wei Yin Chen sounds perfectly chinese, an honest mistake there. it's only because I've been watching some South Korean playoffs ( LG Twins beat out the newly expansion team Dinos for the next round and is at the brink of elimination against my birthplace team, the Nexen Heroes ) and the Japan Series just ended with a dramatic sweep (4-1) after losing the first game against the Hanshin Tigers, by the hands of SoftBank Hawks. there were a ton of drama in this year's Japan Series because the Hawks' clean up hitter just had signed a new deal to move away from the Orix Buffalos whom the Hawks had to fight off in Pacific League championship, and the closer for the Tigers is a South Korean import who just set the central league's save record by a first year foreign player as well as leading the central league's save record this year. what a show down it was.

for me, being a fan of Haitai Tigers of South Korea (today's Kia Tigers) growing up plus the newly expanded team from my birth place, the Nexen Heroes from the district of YangChun of the Seoul City(South Korean league), and Japan's Hanshin Tigers, and Junichi Dragons (lately changed the pronunciation to Chunichi Dragons, which i hate because its not the same as Tom Sellick's movie, the Mister Baseball) it was a big deal to have both Heroes and the Hanshin Tigers make it to their respective playoffs and into the Championship in case of the Hanshin... broke my heart three times this year now that the Dodgers lost, Tigers lost, and the KC whom i was pulling so hard for lost to the hated Giants.

BTW, for whatever the reason, I hate the giants in all three leagues. the San Francisco Giants of course, from the MLB, and the Yomiuri Giants of Japan, and those damn Lotte Giants of South Korea. **** them all.

PS - i even hate the Gigantes from the winter league in Dominican Republic, lol **** them too.

Quake Griffin wrote:I'm gonna give the Dodgers a rest for the Clips the next couple nights man.
We're going to revisit this Paul DePodesta topic though. Because I find it funny he was run out of town, replaced by a bum and now we're back trying to implement strategies/ analytics he would have implemented over the last 10 years.

if we stuck by DePo and had him construct the team as he envisioned, guess what, we would have the outfield right now of Jayson Werth - Yasiel Puig - Matt Kemp.
who knows what would have happened in terms of the roster and the pitching staff, but Kershaw was ours from the get go, Ryu was signed by Logan White, and Greinke would still have been a free agent and probably signed in the same situation with a different GM. DePo would have never have traded for the poisoned package of Gonzo+Crawford+Beckett so we won't have them and would not have signed Ethier to that ridiculous deal so no Andre either. SVS would have been our starting 1B for the last two years, leading the team in fewest at bats per HR, and there won't be any idiotic SF biased signing of Wilson or any idiotic declining yet former closer signings of League and Perez.

back in the day, I ran a block that was glorifying DePo, but obviously short lived due to his time as our GM. long live SABR!!!!!!!!
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#26 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:50 pm

BUMP

still want him fired.

preserving this so anybody who reads it can't say I want this done because we hit a rough patch….or that i care about 92 and 94 wins.
FIRE HIM!
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#27 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:49 am

I have no respect for how this guy left Jim Johnson out there tonight guys.

When I begin to even think about what he might have been thinking, I just imagine throwing a desk over, firing him and screaming GTFO my office.

He like had to be sending a message to someone….the front office or something pulling a stunt like that.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#28 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:02 am

did I ever mention I want this guy gone?
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#29 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:09 am

any manager who gets into a fit with one of his best players who just made a spectacular play back to back, and kills his psych for the rest of the game, is an idiot. but then again, this is the same guy who let Greinke bat just to pull him from the mound in less than a half of inning, then manages to burn up the CF choices even if we tied the game at the bottom of the 9th. if we scored a run, who plays center? **** is gone, Joc was pinch hitted by Utley, will Puig go out and play center if there ever was 10th?

incompetence can only be tolerated for so long. the fact that a manager did not have the awareness to make sure his 3rd base coach and the middle infielders + pitcher needed to cover the 3rd base when Murphy simply walked over to third, is inexcusable. would not happen under a real manager, even if his name is as bad as Bobby Valentine.
ehhhhh f it.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#30 » by nitetrain8603 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:30 am

Neddy wrote:any manager who gets into a fit with one of his best players who just made a spectacular play back to back, and kills his psych for the rest of the game, is an idiot. but then again, this is the same guy who let Greinke bat just to pull him from the mound in less than a half of inning, then manages to burn up the CF choices even if we tied the game at the bottom of the 9th. if we scored a run, who plays center? **** is gone, Joc was pinch hitted by Utley, will Puig go out and play center if there ever was 10th?

incompetence can only be tolerated for so long. the fact that a manager did not have the awareness to make sure his 3rd base coach and the middle infielders + pitcher needed to cover the 3rd base when Murphy simply walked over to third, is inexcusable. would not happen under a real manager, even if his name is as bad as Bobby Valentine.

I actually agree with all of this and wondered the same as I was watching. When Greinke went to bat, I said to myself, I sure as hell hope he finishes the next inning or else it's a wasted at bat when you're getting into the last few innings and you're down.

I also think Mattingly manages the game the way most people manage MLB The Show. Change it up, hoping to catch fire while plugging in players not necessarily in the best position to succeed. You keep Pederson in because of his ability to hit out of the park. If anything, I'm pinch hitting Utley for Grandal.

And the fact that the play happened means he really doesn't go over in detail the shifts during practice.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#31 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:37 am

Man.
He could have lost with some dignity and a little, "it's not Mattingly's fault" currency in his bank account.
But this dude hit Utley for Joc Pederson (I mentioned it in the NLDS thread)….LMFAO and **** had been burned.

Aw man….when he did that…I realized this dude is not the man for this job. He's not a bad guy. He's just not good enough.

Hey Ned.
What do you think about The Bulldog being our skipper? That man knows his baseball. He wouldn't make half the mistakes Mattingly makes. Just a little weary of whether he will lose the ear of the players because he seems like he can go on and on and on about the game of baseball.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#32 » by Neddy » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:04 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Man.
He could have lost with some dignity and a little, "it's not Mattingly's fault" currency in his bank account.
But this dude hit Utley for Joc Pederson (I mentioned it in the NLDS thread)….LMFAO and **** had been burned.

Aw man….when he did that…I realized this dude is not the man for this job. He's not a bad guy. He's just not good enough.

Hey Ned.
What do you think about The Bulldog being our skipper? That man knows his baseball. He wouldn't make half the mistakes Mattingly makes. Just a little weary of whether he will lose the ear of the players because he seems like he can go on and on and on about the game of baseball.

I remember him having a short coaching stint with the Rangers,but as soon as he got a chance to do broadcasting, he was gone in a heart beat. I don't think Orel enjoyed coaching, let alone being a manager. but if he was interested, I would be willing to listen. I have no clue of how he would manage the egos in the locker room but surely he will be a 20 X better tactician. hell it really is hard to find a man in baseball circuit who is worse than Donny in tactics. this goes to show you the baseball wisdom of great hitters not making good managers in general. I prefer Steve Yeager over Orel personally.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#33 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Glad we have our wish.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#34 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 pm

Yep, guess they did it.
Was he fired or quit?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#35 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:59 pm

Kilroy wrote:Yep, guess they did it.
Was he fired or quit?

I keep reading it's mutual. If it's mutual, then he quit IMO.

Oh…peep my post to you in the Off Season thread. Relevant in general and should be relevant to a move like this.
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,294

Post#36 » by NeoWarriors » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:30 pm

Finally, Thank gawd. I've always felt he was a mole trying to destroy the Dodgers from the inside out. There should never be a Yankee in position of power in the Dodgers organization.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,692

Post#37 » by nitetrain8603 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:54 am

Now I wonder if Friedman is kicking himself in the arse for not firing him last year to get Maddon. Any coaching candidates? I'd pick Dave Martinez who is a disciple of Maddon and who's been with him for the longest.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#38 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:38 am

From everything I can gather….these are the potential names for us

Ron Roenicke
Tim Wallach
Bud Black
Dave Martinez
Bob Geren
Gabe Kapler

I like Bud Black…
Meh on Kapler…that'll just be like having the front office manage the team
Bob Geren seemed like he wasn't well liked by the players in Oakland…wow…what a departure that would be from Mattingly….fits the bill that people like of former catcher turned manager. I'm not as impressed by that and I don't think all catchers are great managers.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#39 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:54 am

nitetrain8603 wrote:Now I wonder if Friedman is kicking himself in the arse for not firing him last year to get Maddon. Any coaching candidates? I'd pick Dave Martinez who is a disciple of Maddon and who's been with him for the longest.

would have been a great choice, but I am sure the league would have probed a tampering charge against us since Maddon still had years left on his contract when he quit the Rays job as soon as Andrew bailed on them.

Quake Griffin wrote:From everything I can gather….these are the potential names for us

Ron Roenicke
Tim Wallach
Bud Black
Dave Martinez
Bob Geren
Gabe Kapler

I like Bud Black…
Bob Geren seemed like he wasn't well liked by the players in Oakland…wow…what a departure that would be from Mattingly….fits the bill that people like of former catcher turned manager. I'm not as impressed by that and I don't think all catchers are great managers.

I personally don't mind Gabe. If you remember him from his playing days, he wasn't a gifted hitter like Donny Potato but a guy on the fringes who had to work hard to gain a platoon role and flourished. guys like that tends to master all the ins and outs of the game and I am sure he will be a much better tactician than Mattingly from day 1. he is an energetic guy too, but only issue I would have with him is to have the manager of my beloved dodgers be younger than myself. having grown up on Tommy, my ideal image of dodger manager has always been a father figure type, not a younger brother type lol.

I like Dave Martinez too. I also think Tim Wallach deserves a shot as well. I don't like Ron Roenicke. he was the one who did not do his job as a 3rd base coach when Daniel Murphy ran wild on us all the way to third from the first on a walk.

I dunno how I feel about Bud. I suppose him being an ex pitcher and a pitching coach, he would have a lot to offer to Kersh and the rest of the staff, but I was never impressed with him in SD even in his manager of the year season. do you guys remember their epic collapse at the end of the season to blow their division lead?

I don't want Bob Geren. aside from the similar discontent his players felt about Bob's illogical management of his pitching staff as Potato, his wife's name is beatlejuice.

for candidates that are yet discussed, Brad Ausmus, Brent Mayne, and possibly AJ Hinch intrigues me.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#40 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Neddy wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:Now I wonder if Friedman is kicking himself in the arse for not firing him last year to get Maddon. Any coaching candidates? I'd pick Dave Martinez who is a disciple of Maddon and who's been with him for the longest.

would have been a great choice, but I am sure the league would have probed a tampering charge against us since Maddon still had years left on his contract when he quit the Rays job as soon as Andrew bailed on them.

Quake Griffin wrote:From everything I can gather….these are the potential names for us

Ron Roenicke
Tim Wallach
Bud Black
Dave Martinez
Bob Geren
Gabe Kapler

I like Bud Black…

I personally don't mind Gabe. If you remember him from his playing days, he wasn't a gifted hitter like Donny Potato but a guy on the fringes who had to work hard to gain a platoon role and flourished. guys like that tends to master all the ins and outs of the game and I am sure he will be a much better tactician than Mattingly from day 1. he is an energetic guy too, but only issue I would have with him is to have the manager of my beloved dodgers be younger than myself. having grown up on Tommy, my ideal image of dodger manager has always been a father figure type, not a younger brother type lol.

I like Dave Martinez too. I also think Tim Wallach deserves a shot as well. I don't like Ron Roenicke. he was the one who did not do his job as a 3rd base coach when Daniel Murphy ran wild on us all the way to third from the first on a walk.

I dunno how I feel about Bud. I suppose him being an ex pitcher and a pitching coach, he would have a lot to offer to Kersh and the rest of the staff, but I was never impressed with him in SD even in his manager of the year season. do you guys remember their epic collapse at the end of the season to blow their division lead?

I don't want Bob Geren. aside from the similar discontent his players felt about Bob's illogical management of his pitching staff as Potato, his wife's name is beatlejuice.

for candidates that are yet discussed, Brad Ausmus, Brent Mayne, and possibly AJ Hinch intrigues me.

Don't forget Scioscia can still opt out of his deal when the World Series is over.

Somehow, I'm less than thrilled with how things ended between him and Jerry Dipoto and I, like many others, don't think he'd mesh well here.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-mlb-playoffs-bullpen-managers-mike-matheny-joe-girardi/
check where Bud and Scioscia rank on this article….and look at where overrated Matheny is.

Ausmus is going back to Detroit as far as I can tell.
and why on earth would AJ Hinch leave his current gig? He has an opt out clause? That's a top 5 job right now if you ask me.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers