Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
Head Coach
And1: 2,263

More Stories on Bellinger 

Post#601 » by Ranma » Sun May 14, 2017 4:54 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA's Finest: Clayton Kershaw - Chris Paul____ Image ____IGNORED: QRich3 - EBledsoe12 - alon8882 - 45clip
Ranma
Head Coach

Font's Big Letter Performance 

Post#602 » by Ranma » Tue May 16, 2017 9:57 am

Read on Twitter
LA's Finest: Clayton Kershaw - Chris Paul____ Image ____IGNORED: QRich3 - EBledsoe12 - alon8882 - 45clip
Ranma
Head Coach

Buehler Close to Making the Show? 

Post#603 » by Ranma » Thu May 18, 2017 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Eric Longenhagen, FanGraphs.com (5/18/17)
Walker Buehler, RHP, Los Angeles NL (Profile)
Level: Double-A Age: 22 Org Rank: 5 Top 100: 74
Line: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K

Notes
Buehler made five dominant but abbreviated starts at High-A, never superseding the 65-pitch mark. He was then shut down for 10 days before earning a promotion to Double-A. He’s been sitting 95-99 all spring with a plus-plus, hammer curveball and a hard slider/cutter anywhere from 87-91. He’s very athletic, balanced, and always appears in control of his body despite the high-effort nature of his delivery. He throws all three pitches for strikes. He has the stuff and enough polish to pitch in the big leagues this year in a multi-inning bullpen role — and, if his usage and early-season inning management is any indication, the Dodgers seem to think so, too.

Daily Prospect Notes: 5/18
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 2,386

Re: Prospects and trade discussion 

Post#604 » by Quake Griffin » Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Ranma.

I see Walker Buehler as that high upside pick you talk about.

I understand your frustrations about last year's 1st rounders but we have to give them credit for selecting this guy as a high upside pick.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#PlayBrice
Ranma
Head Coach

Some Credit for Buehler Pick 

Post#605 » by Ranma » Thu May 18, 2017 8:57 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Ranma.

I understand your frustrations about last year's 1st rounders but we have to give them credit for selecting this guy as a high upside pick.

You're right. I can't and haven't once complained at all about the Buehler pick. He was unexpectedly available since he was initially thought to be a top-10 pick for that draft class. One could argue that it's a lucky pick, but I was leaning toward Mike Nikorak myself at the time even though I absolutely had no problem with this selection, so we have to give Gasparino some level of credit for making the pick. However, I shudder to think what would have happened had Buehler not been available. Also, I would argue that Buehler was not seen as a high-upside pick at the time despite his polish and varied repertoire. His velocity was actually going down and their was little confidence that he'd add more constructive weight to his light frame. His spike in velocity post-TJ-surgery was a surprise to practically everyone following his development.

Would Gasparino have selected Kyle Funkhouser with the 24th overall pick in 2015, which I think I heard the Dodgers were actually considering at the time or would we have selected Ke'Bryan Hayes, whom it was known the Dodgers were interested in as a fallback plan if other prospects were not available? I strongly suspect Funkhouser would have been the prioritized choice and Hayes was not available by the time the Dodgers picked again 35th overall that year.
Ranma
Head Coach

Gasparino Given More Leash or Directive by Kasten? 

Post#606 » by Ranma » Fri May 19, 2017 2:29 am

Quake Griffin wrote:I understand your frustrations about last year's 1st rounders but we have to give them credit for selecting this guy as a high upside pick.

I just posted 2 published mock drafts today in the 2017 MLB Draft thread and based on Baseball America's 2 most recent mock drafts, I'm encouraged to hear John Manuel mention the Dodgers in BPA mode and prioritizing upside over safety. That's exactly what I want to hear with regards to our early picks as long as we continue with our approach with the later picks as I've never really had a problem with those selections under Gasparino's tenure.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 2,386

Re: Some Credit for Buehler Pick 

Post#607 » by Quake Griffin » Tue May 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Ranma wrote:
Quake Griffin wrote:Ranma.

You're right. I can't and haven't once complained at all about the Buehler pick. He was unexpectedly available since he was initially thought to be a top-10 pick for that draft class. One could argue that it's a lucky pick, but I was leaning toward Mike Nikorak myself at the time even though I absolutely had no problem with this selection, so we have to give Gasparino some level of credit for making the pick. However, I shudder to think what would have happened had Buehler not been available. Also, I would argue that Buehler was not seen as a high-upside pick at the time despite his polish and varied repertoire. His velocity was actually going down and their was little confidence that he'd add more constructive weight to his light frame. His spike in velocity post-TJ-surgery was a surprise to practically everyone following his development.

Would Gasparino have selected Kyle Funkhouser with the 24th overall pick in 2015, which I think I heard the Dodgers were actually considering at the time or would we have selected Ke'Bryan Hayes, whom it was known the Dodgers were interested in as a fallback plan if other prospects were not available? I strongly suspect Funkhouser would have been the prioritized choice and Hayes was not available by the time the Dodgers picked again 35th overall that year.

That's your skepticism and a bit of speculation.

What actually happened in the war room is they drafted him, signed him under slot value, and invested in him when a lot of people doubted. I doubt they drafted him thinking his upside was limited at that point.

I am providing push back on the Buehler pick ONLY. They deserve credit for it and NO HATE for it at all. To do so gives them no credit for being able to think on the fly. Even if we determined they would have done something we hated if he wasn't there, we AT LEAST have to acknowledge if this narrow circumstance occurs again (Cal Quantrill was in a similar type of situation but DID NOT fall), we know they'd pick the high upside guy and invest in his TJS, recovery etc. etc.

http://www.dodgersnation.com/next-line-dodgers-pitching-prospect-walker-buehler/2017/05/23/
^^^
Buehler looking solid at AA so far.
Clever reactions to aggressive situations

#PlayBrice
Ranma
Head Coach

Farm Report - May 25, 2017 

Post#608 » by Ranma » Thu May 25, 2017 7:04 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers