ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 MLB Draft

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dodgers Picked 4 of ESPN's Top 30 All-Time Draft Slots 

Post#61 » by Ranma » Fri Jun 9, 2017 10:23 pm

Logan White made 3 of the 4 Dodgers selections currently profiled as the best picks from the all-time top 30 draft slots. Also, take note how all 4 featured picks were drafted right out of high school.

Sean Morrison, ESPN.com (6/9/17)

The Ultimate MLB Draft: The Best Pick Ever at Every Spot from 1-30
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Digest's Draft Profile: Keston Hiura 

Post#62 » by Ranma » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

David Hood's Top 200 

Post#63 » by Ranma » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:53 am

Spoiler:
Ranma
RealGM

Luke Heimlich Red-Flagged 

Post#64 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:56 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Old Scouting Reports on Maddux & Trout + MLB.com's All-Time Draft Slots 

Post#65 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:09 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Joe Trezza, MLB.com (6/10/17)
7. Clayton Kershaw

The Dodgers chose the man who may well be remembered as the best left-handed starter of all-time at No. 7 in 2006, out of Highland Park High School in Texas.

The Royals passed on him at No. 1 for Luke Hochevar. The Rockies did the same at No. 2, for Greg Reynolds. Longoria and Andrew Miller were picked before Kershaw, but so were Brad Lincoln and Brandon Morrow.

Honorable Mention: Frank Thomas, Troy Tulowitzki, Prince Fielder.

18. Corey Seager

Scouts knew about Seager from a young age, thanks to his older brother, Mariners third baseman Kyle Seager. Even if they hadn't, Seager would have emerged as one of the top prospects in what's looking now like a loaded 2012 Draft.

Honorable Mention: Willie Wilson, R.A. Dickey.

21. Rick Sutcliffe

It might've been possible to make the case for Varitek here, but the catcher didn't sign after the Twins selected him No. 21 in 1993. Instead the honor falls to Sutcliffe, who was drafted by the Dodgers in 1974 and won National League Rookie of the Year honors five years later.

Honorable Mention: Todd Worrell.

First Round's Finest: Best Pick Ever at Each Slot
Ranma
RealGM

Latest Pre-Draft Buzz and Law's Mock (6/11) 

Post#66 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 am

Joshua Thornton, MLB.com (6/11/17)
Gasparino said the Dodgers have about 10 scenarios set up for this draft, and mentioned college baseball batting champion and UC Irvine standout Keston Hiura as a possible option if he falls to the Dodgers.

Hirua's smaller frame was also not a concern for Gasparino and his staff, he said. They see it as an advantage.

"We actually like his body type a lot," Gasparino said. "Especially in terms of ingredients to hit. We think his short, kind of stronger compact build gives him an advantage over some other hitters. We're really comfortable with his athleticism and body type."

Dodgers Mull Options with Pick No. 23

Jonathan Mayo & Jim Callis, MLB.com (6/11/17)
The night before the Draft is a time when rumors of deals can run rampant. This year appears no different, with the Rays at 4 and the Braves at 5 the teams subject to the most speculation right now. In both cases, the deal would include signing a player for well below pick value in order to use the savings to aggressively go after talent with later picks.

Tampa is being mentioned with just one name: Bubba Thompson. Thompson, a two-sport star from the Alabama high school ranks, is No. 26 on our Top 200 Draft prospects list and will be in attendance at MLB Network on Monday night. The Rays have the third-highest Draft bonus pool at just over $12.5 million. They have a Competitive Balance Round A pick at No. 31, then their second-round selection at No. 40. There is still a very good chance they'll take the best player available, someone like Royce Lewis, but they do like Thompson's tools, and the money saved could come in handy with those next two picks.

Draft Buzz: Latest scoop from Callis, Mayo

Read on Twitter

Keith Law, ESPNinsider.com (6/11/17)

Keith Law's Mock Draft 3.0: Twins Might Double Their Options with McKay
Ranma
RealGM

Draft-Day Mocks from BA and MLB.com 

Post#67 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:50 pm

John Manuel, Baseball America (6/12/17)

2017 MLB Mock Draft 4.5

Jonathan Mayo & Jim Callis, MLB.com (6/12/17)
23. Dodgers
Mayo: Tanner Houck, RHP, Missouri
- Thompson's name has been mentioned here a ton, and he could be the choice if they went the toolsy high school route. But they have taken a fair share of college arms, particularly later in the first round, in recent years.
Callis: Bubba Thompson, OF, McGill-Toolen HS (Mobile, Ala.) - Warmoth and Thompson are the names bandied about the most with Los Angeles. Given how well 2015 first-rounder Walker Buehler has bounced back from Tommy John surgery, the Dodgers could go for another SEC right-hander who just had his elbow reconstructed in South Carolina's Clarke Schmidt.

Draft-Day Mock: First-Round Projections
Ranma
RealGM

FanGraphs' Live Draft Chat + Top 100 & Select Profiles 

Post#68 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:

Ranma
RealGM

BA Draft Podcast and Return of the Source? 

Post#69 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter

The rumor below is from the same site I've cited before and I know the source previously deleted his account and it looks like he has since returned under a new username. Maybe he had to close his previous account because his contacts in the Diamondbacks' front office and possibly with the Dodgers were onto him, but then why would he be back?

In any case, I'm not a fan of taking Peterson with our first-round pick. He's a safe and solid prospect with good control and a variety of pitches, but he's not sexy to me. Hopefully, he's gone before the Dodgers make the pick.

Scorching Hot Tates (6/12/17)
According to my sources, the Dodgers will draft David Peterson if he's available at 23. This source also believes he won't make it past SF at 19. This is the same person who broke the trades to me, but obviously the Draft is a way more fluid situation than a trade. Take it for what it's worth.

Comments Section: History of No. 23 Pick in the MLB Draft
Ranma
RealGM

Live Feed Broadcast of Draft 

Post#70 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Re: 2017 MLB Draft 

Post#71 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:21 pm

What are your thoughts on the Royce Lewis pick?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Thoughts on Royce Lewis 

Post#72 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:37 pm

I like SS/OF Royce Lewis but RHP/SS Hunter Greene should have been the 1st overall pick based on talent and upside. At the same time, 2-way prospect Brendan McKay has similar ceiling but more polish compared to Greene, however, to me he is probably a better hitter than pitcher. LHP MacKenzie Gore is another promising prep pitcher with comparisons to Kershaw. College RHP Kyle Wright is also in the mix with all of the aforementioned considered the consensus top 5 prospects in the draft.

With regards to Lewis, I actually like his profile quite a bit. He was anticipated to be taken 5th overall by practically everyone but signability issues with McKay have the Twins drafting Lewis apparently with eyes toward saving slot money for over-slot signings with later picks. Lewis hopes to stick at SS but he's anticipated to eventually be a CFer. Lewis has 5-tool potential with tremendous speed, but I'm of the opinion that he's a tier below Greene and McKay even if all 5 prospects are close to each other.
Ranma
RealGM

Pick-by-Pick Analyses 

Post#73 » by Ranma » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Alex Agrees! 

Post#74 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:39 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#75 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:42 am

We're getting to the high teens here.

Relevant IMO because a reach Thats within reason could snatch one of our targets off the board.

Were you shocked to see Adell come off the board that early?

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Latest Draft Buzz via Dodgers Digest 

Post#76 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:46 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Ranma
RealGM

Thoughts on Jordon "Jo" Adell 

Post#77 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:00 am

Quake Griffin wrote:We're getting to the high teens here.

Relevant IMO because a reach Thats within reason could snatch one of our targets off the board.

Were you shocked to see Adell come off the board that early?

Not really. He's been linked to the Angels for most of the time I've been following this year's draft. It's only recently that talk of Hiura usurping Adell's spot on the Angels' priority list and he went just ahead of them to the Brewers 9th overall. He's immediately the top prospect in their system now.

Jo Adell is the epitome of "swing for the fences" and he actually scares me in that regard. His power and speed combo is among the best in the entire draft class, but I'm actually more comfortable with Bubba Thompson despite the lower upside mostly because Thompson has shown improved and natural hitting instincts based on what I'm hearing, so I'm a little hypocritical with regards to my philosophy, but it's never been a hard rule since it's really dependent on a case-by-case basis.

The funny thing is that Jeren Kendall presents a similar quandary as another 5-tool prospect, but like Adell, has major concerns with his swing-and-miss. Kendall is the fastest of the trio and Adell has the biggest power bat; both present bigger upside than Thompson, but I actually prefer Bubba right now over those two based on a matter of personal feeling.

I was actually hoping for Kendall to drop to us and still do. I'll defer to the Dodgers' scouts to make the call between the two, but like I said, Thompson is the choice for me at the moment.
Ranma
RealGM

Dodgers Digest's Draft Profile: Sam Carlson 

Post#78 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:17 am

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#79 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:20 am

Hmmm..,

Did the Bubba Thompson rumors convince everybody to back away?

Lets see what the Blue Jays do.

Ranma
RealGM

Kendall or Thompson? 

Post#80 » by Ranma » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:23 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Hmmm..,

Did the Bubba Thompson rumors convince everybody to back away?

Lets see what the Blue Jays do.

Did you mean Kendall? He's the one with the signability issues. I'm not aware of the Thompson rumors other than the Dodgers being connected to him and the Rays considering him at 4th overall as an under-slot signing. If there are other rumors, please enlighten me.

We might have our choice between Kendall and Thompson. I'd be fine with either, but I'm concerned if we can sign Kendall ourselves. Keith Law had Kendall as his top overall prospect coming into the spring but has him 10th now. If the Dodgers' development staff believes they can fix their draftee, I have confidence in them given their recent track record.

I'm actually relieved that David Peterson, Heliot Ramos, and Logan Warmoth were drafted ahead of us so that they're not in consideration for us as I like Kendall and Thompson much more.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers