ImageImageImage

the Tristan Thompson panic button

Moderator: ijspeelman

Kaner
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Re: the Tristan Thompson panic button 

Post#21 » by Kaner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:28 am

When he actually plays within his game, he's quite effective. Only problem is he has the same style of play as Varejao, and they're on the floor together a lot.
Charleone
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Charleone » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:36 pm

Yes. I am in panic mode. The dude declined. He has no post moves, no soft hands or touch, always fumbles the ball. Every time he touches the ball it results in turnover, block, travel or terrible shot. I have absolutely no idea what they saw in him over Kenbeth Faried or JJ Hickson for that matter. This dude set the franchise back and was a waste of our 4th pick. I would've rather package that pick in a trade since everyone feels it was a weak draft anyway. But I've watched Faried and his game Is wayyy better than Tristan. We could've had Kawhi Leonard or Shumpert also. Point being he set us back and and was waste of a number 4
Charleone
Ballboy

Post#23 » by Charleone » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Could've had Klay Thompson also
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#24 » by Niko23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:40 pm

And this is why I defend Tristan - even though I said he was dog crap in the last game thread. Dude - no mock draft had Faried or Klay at #4 so its pointless to make the argument. I could see a Brandon Knight argument because he was being discussed at #3 to Utah - and ya even though we had Irving I would have been ok with a BK pick at 4. But to cherry pick better players who were never in the conversation is simply wrong
SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#25 » by SaiCLE » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:13 am

Charleone wrote:Yes. I am in panic mode. The dude declined. He has no post moves, no soft hands or touch, always fumbles the ball. Every time he touches the ball it results in turnover, block, travel or terrible shot. I have absolutely no idea what they saw in him over Kenbeth Faried or JJ Hickson for that matter. This dude set the franchise back and was a waste of our 4th pick. I would've rather package that pick in a trade since everyone feels it was a weak draft anyway. But I've watched Faried and his game Is wayyy better than Tristan. We could've had Kawhi Leonard or Shumpert also. Point being he set us back and and was waste of a number 4

I can not believe that I did not see this post before, You sir need to layoff whatever you are smoking.
Charleone
Ballboy

Post#26 » by Charleone » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:11 am

Did I say something wrong. I watch every game and attend most even though I live in Columbus. Everything I mentioned about his game is true. And don't give a damn about a mock draft. Kawhi, Fariedand Klay were better college players than Tristan. Mock drafts mean nothing. But not an argument. Keep taking up for him all you want. I guarantee he'll make no significant progress in the next couple seasons. CLE used a 4th pick on second round talent. Trust me I want him to do good for the better of the team but just don't see it happening. Obviously someone's thinking the same that's why its a topic and why your viewing it. And they're even bringing this topic up during some of the broadcast now.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#27 » by Baseline Runner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:34 pm

gflem wrote:Does he have small hands?

Small hands isn't a problem. I have small hands and I'm a pretty good ball handler. I'm sure Steve Nash, Rondo and the like have much smaller hands than players with stone hands like Kwame Brown or Tristan Thompson. If anything having big hands is probably a detriment to getting a good feel for the ball where really good ball handlers use both their palm and their fingertips simultaneously much of the time.
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#28 » by Baseline Runner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:38 pm

No mock drafts had Dion Waiters at number four too but in that case the scouts really did their homework. You can't expect management to hit a home run on every draft pick, especially as one as weak as that draft.

Also the jury is still out on Tristan. There have been plenty of big man who were terrible offensively, a la Ben Wallace or Rodman, but still had great careers. Many big men also take some time to develop.
Niko23
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by Niko23 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:11 pm

SaiCLE wrote:
Charleone wrote:Yes. I am in panic mode. The dude declined. He has no post moves, no soft hands or touch, always fumbles the ball. Every time he touches the ball it results in turnover, block, travel or terrible shot. I have absolutely no idea what they saw in him over Kenbeth Faried or JJ Hickson for that matter. This dude set the franchise back and was a waste of our 4th pick. I would've rather package that pick in a trade since everyone feels it was a weak draft anyway. But I've watched Faried and his game Is wayyy better than Tristan. We could've had Kawhi Leonard or Shumpert also. Point being he set us back and and was waste of a number 4

I can not believe that I did not see this post before, You sir need to layoff whatever you are smoking.

I did not realize he included Shumpert as an option a #4 as well. Wow.

Probably need to start emailing your resume to all the NBA GM's then.....
Charleone
Ballboy

Post#30 » by Charleone » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Personal attacks will not stand. Talk about the post, not the poster. Warning sent.

-B Mac
Niko23
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Niko23 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Are you 12 years old????
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#32 » by gflem » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:08 am

Baseline Runner wrote:
gflem wrote:Does he have small hands?

Small hands isn't a problem. I have small hands and I'm a pretty good ball handler. I'm sure Steve Nash, Rondo and the like have much smaller hands than players with stone hands like Kwame Brown or Tristan Thompson. If anything having big hands is probably a detriment to getting a good feel for the ball where really good ball handlers use both their palm and their fingertips simultaneously much of the time.

Yeah, agree, it was just a question. The thought being that if he has small hands he cant palm the ball. Being able to control/palm the ball makes it much easier to go up for a dunk with one hand, and that makes it harder for defenders to block the dunk attempt. If someone has to go up with both hands every time they attempt to dunk it means the ball will be centered on the dunkers body and the defender will know where the ball will be. It also could be the reason that he has to gather himself every time he attempts to dunk the ball. Like I said though, I dont really know. I was just guessing at the reason he seems to fumble the ball away so much.
SaiCLE
Rookie
And1: 215

Post#33 » by SaiCLE » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:56 pm

For the little minutes he played against the knicks, he did really well.
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#34 » by kiwibrindle » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:13 am

Anyone think since AV has been out that TT has sucked less? Or is he just playing against stiffs?
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,616

Post#35 » by Roger Murdock » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:42 am

kiwibrindle wrote:Anyone think since AV has been out that TT has sucked less? Or is he just playing against stiffs?

Hes been putting up 13/13 without Andy.
Niko23
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Niko23 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:26 pm

So hes putting up AV numbers? Ya he is a total bust.....

No but seriously I was ready to give up on him. Good to see
Kaner
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#37 » by Kaner » Sun Jan 6, 2013 6:50 am

Past 3 games average for TT:

PTS: 15
OFF RBD: 5.33
TOT RBD: 13.66
FG %: 52%
FT %: 78% (11-14)

He's definitely going to be a nice player, I'm so glad to see him proving people wrong that were writing him off sooo early
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#38 » by gflem » Sun Jan 6, 2013 5:01 pm

His turnaround lately has been borderline incredible. But, he still isnt anywhere near the player Andy is. It will be interesting to see if he keeps playing with the confidence he is playing with now when Andy comes back.
mrmsix6
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,598

Post#39 » by mrmsix6 » Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:49 pm

Charleone wrote: I guarantee he'll make no significant progress in the next couple seasons. CLE used a 4th pick on second round talent.

about that guarantee...
Manny Phresh
Senior
And1: 15

Post#40 » by Manny Phresh » Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:54 pm

My problem with Tristan as that in the 95 professional games he's played in the NBA, he has not made progress on his body control, coordination, and soft touch around the rim. He tries to face up and take his man around the hoop only to misplay the ball on the rim. His uncoordinated body control reminds me of the body control issues Andrew Bynum had early on his career. I need to see some progress on coordination soon or else he's just going to be bench potential the rest of his career.
BallAboveAll wrote:If you are in a marriage or a serious relationship you have to do crap you don't want to do sometimes. Why? Women can go longer without sex. :lol:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers