And1: 321

Re: Backup Center? 

Post#41 » by Temuhjan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 am

KuruptedCav wrote:Kosta Koufos
Kyle O'Quinn
Timofey Mozgov
DeJuan Blair

Might be worth an inquiry...

Also, if they bring in Oden, they can start Oden, Bennett, James, Wiggins, Irving... For a game. I wonder if we could bring in Brand, a Kwame Brown tire kick. I actually think Bargs would be a solid 5 on this team... But the #s don't work...

Come to think of it, Tyler Zeller would have been perfect if he wasn't traded to Boston. He is a young two-way 7-footer. Damn, he is every team's dream center! Would be nice if we can have him back.

Without doubt, the most intriguing rim protector prospect out there is Emeka Okafor. We should pray for him to accept our remaining $2.5m of cap space and play here for a year in an effort to re-establish his value.

Other than that, we have the good ol' Kevin Garnett, my favorite Kevin Seraphin and the aforementioned Kosta Koufos and Timofey Mozgov. Chicago's Nazr Mohammed is already 36yo, but he still does a solid job in the post.

However, I will not count on Oden (too injured), Blair (cannot protect the rim), O'Quinn (lack of experience and post moves) or Bargnani (lack of basketball IQ).
antistrat
Pro Prospect
And1: 412

Post#42 » by antistrat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:33 am

Temuhjan wrote:Sonny, let me teach you something about respect!

You do not call a 38yo NBA Champion, MVP and 15-time All Star who still managed 20.5 mpg and 13.3 PER old, broke down, retirement contemplating

Ha! Please. I'm putting up a 13.3 PER right now just by typing this. That's below average - borderline scrub.
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#43 » by Rise Against » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:18 am

Yeah no lie, Zeller would have been a great backup center for the team.. Unfortunately the Cavs had to do what they had to do to create cap space for LeBron.
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#44 » by kiwibrindle » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:47 am

Anyone think we can trade something like a future number one protected from Memphis for Mitch McGary or Gorgui Deng?
Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by Temuhjan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:08 am

antistrat wrote:
Temuhjan wrote:Sonny, let me teach you something about respect!

You do not call a 38yo NBA Champion, MVP and 15-time All Star who still managed 20.5 mpg and 13.3 PER old, broke down, retirement contemplating

Ha! Please. I'm putting up a 13.3 PER right now just by typing this. That's below average - borderline scrub.

I hope you are not saying Waiters (14.1 PER), Deng (14.0 PER), Jarrett Jack (11.6 PE) and Delly (10.7 PER) are below average - borderline scrubs.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Heat3Peat wrote:
mup wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:
Read my name, now read my join date. You don't see how it's a mockery of the Miami Heat?
Posting on an iPhone. Can't see your join date. My bad. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

No worries, you aren't the first to think I am actually a Heat fan, it's kind of funny actually.

Well, your name IS "Heat3Peat", and you just started posting on the Cavaliers forum after Lebron James returned. I can't possibly imagine why someone would think you're a Heat fan.... :wink:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#47 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:19 pm

Temuhjan wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:I wish AV could opt out and take a little pay cut to open up room to add some more pieces. He definitely isn't worth 9.8 million, he is hurt far too often for that.

The last year of AV's contract is unguaranteed. That means we can waive him now and not owe him a dime. Unfortunately, we cannot re-sign a player we waive.

The way around it is to trade AV to another team and have the other team waive him. Then we can re-sign him for a fraction of his original contract.

But seriously, if we can have KG and Kevin Seraphin in the middle, we do not really need AV back.

So, Varejao is $4m guaranteed. Not completely non-guaranteed. Other than that, if the Cavs trade Anderson Varejao, and he is waived, he cannot re-sign with the Cavaliers until NEXT SEASON at the earliest. New league rules set forth in the most recent CBA.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#48 » by RSCD3_ » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:16 pm

John Henson 6'11 long athletic

Probably would take waiters and maybe a second or two

I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#49 » by BossHoggin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:27 pm

You bandwagoners need to go back to Miami if you can't add anything intelligent to the discussion.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
BossHoggin
General Manager
And1: 571

Post#50 » by BossHoggin » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:
mup wrote:Posting on an iPhone. Can't see your join date. My bad. Carry on.

No worries, you aren't the first to think I am actually a Heat fan, it's kind of funny actually.

Well, your name IS "Heat3Peat", and you just started posting on the Cavaliers forum after Lebron James returned. I can't possibly imagine why someone would think you're a Heat fan.... :wink:
He's a LeBron fan.
Heat3Peat wrote:See this is why it's nice being a LeBron fan, no super hard allegiance to a team so there is no up and down emotions with me during a time like this.
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran
And1: 2,309

Post#51 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:
mup wrote:Posting on an iPhone. Can't see your join date. My bad. Carry on.

To be fair, he did register like 3 weeks after the finals ended.

So he could've named himself that to mock the whole 3 peat failure like he claims.
#FreeGuwop
CavsKSU25
Banned User
And1: 38

Post#52 » by CavsKSU25 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:37 pm

RSCD3_ wrote:John Henson 6'11 long athletic

Holy Overpayment batman!
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran

Post#53 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:39 pm

CavsKSU25 wrote:

Holy Overpayment batman!

yeah most I'd give is one of our first rounders.
#FreeGuwop
wallsfamily
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#54 » by wallsfamily » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:29 pm

I agree on John Henson!!!! Is Phoenix happy with Plumlee? Brand did good for Atlanta but can't protect the rim. Don't forget that the heat added mid season guys that made a difference. I would take a flyer on Oden. I thought the Heat should have given him more time last year. One thing about Lebron is there will be regular season success so Blatt should be able to experiment early in the season to get the right combo! The key is patience from expectations and possibly trade deadline and waiver wire will get the player that will make the difference!
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Backup Center? 

Post#55 » by KuruptedCav » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:34 am

CavsKSU25 wrote:
mac4lyfe wrote:Young measured in at 6'10" with 9.25" hands and a 7'2" wingspan at the combine. He also has a 38" vertical. His standing reach is just fine. His athleticism, nastiness, hustle and passion is what makes me think he will do just fine in the NBA. I've seen him shut down some pretty good lottery bound college players. Check his stats against the top centers in college like Noel, Anthony Davis, Embiid, Willie Cauley Stein, etc., and he pretty much was the better player. He's a Ben Wallace, man child that would give the Cavs that toughness that I think they lack. Oh well, enough wishful thinking as I don't think the Pelicans will give him up anyway.

Losing Zeller really has put a question mark on depth at center. I hope we can add someone that is an enforcer in the paint. Be nice if Oden was that guy but if he couldn't play in Miami, I don't see how he can with the Cavs.

KuruptedCav wrote:
Any player can be signed for their minimum. In Patric Young's case, $507,366, and the contract can be for up to 2 years. Personally, I think his lack of a standing reach kills his NBA career. Looks like he should be trying out as a TE or DE in the NFL though. He is cut up and athletic as heck.

so Varajeo is playing 48 minutes a night?

I assume Haywood will play a few minutes, and Thompson a few more when James moves into the 4.. The Cavs will pick up another big, question is whom. I think it'll be a vet due to the age of the team.

Patric's standing reach is 8'7.5" that would be the lowest of any NBA center. By comparison, Ben Wallace had a 9'3" standing reach. That was the knock during the draft.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by Temuhjan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:09 am

The Bucks are blessed with 2 rim protectors in Larry Sanders and John Henson. Henson is the more appreciated of the two. So, Henson is not available.

On the other hand, since we are not about to commit long-term to a non-star calibre player, I doubt if Sanders and the 4-year $44m remaining on his contract is our answer neither.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by Temuhjan » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:16 am

wallsfamily wrote:I agree on John Henson!!!! Is Phoenix happy with Plumlee? Brand did good for Atlanta but can't protect the rim. Don't forget that the heat added mid season guys that made a difference. I would take a flyer on Oden. I thought the Heat should have given him more time last year. One thing about Lebron is there will be regular season success so Blatt should be able to experiment early in the season to get the right combo! The key is patience from expectations and possibly trade deadline and waiver wire will get the player that will make the difference!

I agree on your approach, but I will be even happier if we can get some certainty by signing Emeka Okafor or a cheaper lesser rim protector such as Kevin Seraphin or Nazr Mohammed in the meanwhile.
KI-DW-TT-AB
Veteran

Post#58 » by KI-DW-TT-AB » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:17 am

Every time I read the thread title I think of a store where you go to backup your data.
#FreeGuwop
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#59 » by jpengland » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:50 pm

Jermaine O'Neal and Okafor should be the targets.

You just need guys who protect the rim who can get a bit nasty. Those two bring veteran smarts with them and won't expect huge roles.

Kyle O'Quinn would be a great end of bench big for you too, hustle, team orientated guy with potential to grow into a serviceable rotation big.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#60 » by jpengland » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Kevin Garnett?

Do you have a TPE to combine with Haywood/junk?

He's nowhere near what he was, but he will get nasty and protect the rim.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers