ImageImageImage

Backup Center?

Moderator: ijspeelman

mac4lyfe
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Backup Center? 

Post#21 » by mac4lyfe » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:51 am

Young measured in at 6'10" with 9.25" hands and a 7'2" wingspan at the combine. He also has a 38" vertical. His standing reach is just fine. His athleticism, nastiness, hustle and passion is what makes me think he will do just fine in the NBA. I've seen him shut down some pretty good lottery bound college players. Check his stats against the top centers in college like Noel, Anthony Davis, Embiid, Willie Cauley Stein, etc., and he pretty much was the better player. He's a Ben Wallace, man child that would give the Cavs that toughness that I think they lack. Oh well, enough wishful thinking as I don't think the Pelicans will give him up anyway.

Losing Zeller really has put a question mark on depth at center. I hope we can add someone that is an enforcer in the paint. Be nice if Oden was that guy but if he couldn't play in Miami, I don't see how he can with the Cavs.

KuruptedCav wrote:
Any player can be signed for their minimum. In Patric Young's case, $507,366, and the contract can be for up to 2 years. Personally, I think his lack of a standing reach kills his NBA career. Looks like he should be trying out as a TE or DE in the NFL though. He is cut up and athletic as heck.
CavsKSU25
Banned User
And1: 38

Post#22 » by CavsKSU25 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:25 am

mac4lyfe wrote:Young measured in at 6'10" with 9.25" hands and a 7'2" wingspan at the combine. He also has a 38" vertical. His standing reach is just fine. His athleticism, nastiness, hustle and passion is what makes me think he will do just fine in the NBA. I've seen him shut down some pretty good lottery bound college players. Check his stats against the top centers in college like Noel, Anthony Davis, Embiid, Willie Cauley Stein, etc., and he pretty much was the better player. He's a Ben Wallace, man child that would give the Cavs that toughness that I think they lack. Oh well, enough wishful thinking as I don't think the Pelicans will give him up anyway.

Losing Zeller really has put a question mark on depth at center. I hope we can add someone that is an enforcer in the paint. Be nice if Oden was that guy but if he couldn't play in Miami, I don't see how he can with the Cavs.

KuruptedCav wrote:
Any player can be signed for their minimum. In Patric Young's case, $507,366, and the contract can be for up to 2 years. Personally, I think his lack of a standing reach kills his NBA career. Looks like he should be trying out as a TE or DE in the NFL though. He is cut up and athletic as heck.

so Varajeo is playing 48 minutes a night?
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#23 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:40 am

CavsKSU25 wrote:so Varajeo is playing 48 minutes a night?

How about we trade Varejao and Waiters to Brooklyn for Kevin Garnett. That way, not only do we gain a rim protector and a locker room leader with championship experience in KG, but we also get $4m under the cap to snatch Kevin Seraphin from Washington.

We will then add Mo Williams on veteran's minimum and preserve Brendan Haywood and his balloon contract for a future transaction.

KG / Seraphin will be a major upgrade from Varejao / Zeller in the middle. We will miss Waiters and his J though.

PG - Irving / Mo Williams (vet's min)
SG - Wiggins / Dellavedova / Felix
SF - James / Miller / Harris
PF - Bennett / Thompson / Powell
C - Kevin Garnett / Kevin Seraphin / Haywood
CavsKSU25
Banned User

Post#24 » by CavsKSU25 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:52 am

Temuhjan wrote:

How about we trade Varejao and Waiters to Brooklyn for Kevin Garnett. That way, not only do we gain a rim protector and a locker room leader with championship experience in KG, but we also get $4m under the cap to snatch Kevin Seraphin from Washington.

We will then add Mo Williams on veteran's minimum and preserve Brendan Haywood and his balloon contract for a future transaction.

KG / Seraphin will be a major upgrade from Varejao / Zeller in the middle. We will miss Waiters and his J though.

Does Brooklyn lube up before they rape us like that? my god.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#25 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:23 am

Temuhjan wrote:

Varejao and Waiters for one year of an old, broke down, retirement contemplating Garnett. Are you a Cavs fan? Or are you a Nets fan trying ninja mind tricks?

Dumbest trade I've heard in a while. But I guess I'm not adding in the fact that it clears space for the incredible Kevin Seraphin.

IF we got $4 mil of clear space I'd puke if we spent it on Seraphin. I'd picket in front of the Q!
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:52 am

johnnyballgame wrote:Varejao and Waiters for one year of an old, broke down, retirement contemplating Garnett. Are you a Cavs fan? Or are you a Nets fan trying ninja mind tricks?

Sonny, let me teach you something about respect!

You do not call a 38yo NBA Champion, MVP and 15-time All Star who still managed 20.5 mpg and 13.3 PER old, broke down, retirement contemplating.

The old man may be in his twilight years, but he is still effective as well as efficient on both ends of the floor. Just check out his stats on NBA.com or basketball-reference.com or ask the people on the Nets or Celtics forum (which I have never visited).

Now, if you will come forward with one constructive suggestion as to how this team can get a decent rim protector to get us over the bump and bring home a championship next year, I will appreciate it.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,047

Post#27 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:57 am

I wish AV could opt out and take a little pay cut to open up room to add some more pieces. He definitely isn't worth 9.8 million, he is hurt far too often for that.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:02 am

Heat3Peat wrote:I wish AV could opt out and take a little pay cut to open up room to add some more pieces. He definitely isn't worth 9.8 million, he is hurt far too often for that.

The last year of AV's contract is unguaranteed. That means we can waive him now and not owe him a dime. Unfortunately, we cannot re-sign a player we waive.

The way around it is to trade AV to another team and have the other team waive him. Then we can re-sign him for a fraction of his original contract.

But seriously, if we can have KG and Kevin Seraphin in the middle, we do not really need AV back.
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#29 » by mup » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 pm

Temuhjan wrote:

This is awful. You want to trade Waiters and Varejao for Garnett? Are they also sending back 3 1st round picks.

I read your other thread. If you're a Cavs fan now, please learn the value of our players. I wouldn't give either of those players for Garnett straight up. Also, know that Varejao is more or less untouchable.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
mup
Veteran

Post#30 » by mup » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Heat3Peat wrote:I wish AV could opt out and take a little pay cut to open up room to add some more pieces. He definitely isn't worth 9.8 million, he is hurt far too often for that.
What is with your name? Why are you posting on Cavs boards?

OhioGuy216
Junior
And1: 227

Post#31 » by OhioGuy216 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:34 pm

Temuhjan wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:Varejao and Waiters for one year of an old, broke down, retirement contemplating Garnett. Are you a Cavs fan? Or are you a Nets fan trying ninja mind tricks?

You do not call a 38yo NBA Champion, MVP and 15-time All Star who still managed 20.5 mpg and 13.3 PER old, broke down, retirement contemplating.

The old man may be in his twilight years, but he is still effective as well as efficient on both ends of the floor. Just check out his stats on NBA.com or basketball-reference.com or ask the people on the Nets or Celtics forum (which I have never visited).

Now, if you will come forward with one constructive suggestion as to how this team can get a decent rim protector to get us over the bump and bring home a championship next year, I will appreciate it.

Uh, yeah, we tried this twice already with Ben Wallace and Shaq. Does not work and do not want.

Garnett was a great player, hell top 15 in my book by far, but I don't want him now.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

mup wrote:

Read my name, now read my join date. You don't see how it's a mockery of the Miami Heat?
mup
Veteran

Post#33 » by mup » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:00 pm

Heat3Peat wrote:
mup wrote:

Read my name, now read my join date. You don't see how it's a mockery of the Miami Heat?
Posting on an iPhone. Can't see your join date. My bad. Carry on.

Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#34 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:03 pm

mup wrote:If you're a Cavs fan now, please learn the value of our players. I wouldn't give either of those players for Garnett straight up. Also, know that Varejao is more or less untouchable.

The value of a player is measured in the Ws he can bring the team. Now that luck have brought us a starting lineup of Irving-Wiggins-James-Bennett, the bar has been lifted from merely making the finals to bringing home the Championship next June.

As such, we now have an urgent need to plug our hole in the middle if we do not want to lose to the Bulls in the ECF. We need a solid rim protector. He does not need to be KG or Seraphin, but we need to get someone... soon.
OsuCavsfan103
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by OsuCavsfan103 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:03 pm

mup wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:
mup wrote:What is with your name? Why are you posting on Cavs boards?

No worries, you aren't the first to think I am actually a Heat fan, it's kind of funny actually.
OhioGuy216
Junior
And1: 227

Post#36 » by OhioGuy216 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:06 pm

Heat3Peat wrote:
mup wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:

No worries, you aren't the first to think I am actually a Heat fan, it's kind of funny actually.

Honestly I wish you'd change your name. If it's intent is to be funny it really isn't. That's just me talking though.
mup
Veteran

Post#37 » by mup » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:11 pm

Temuhjan wrote:

I think you're viewing this from a Lebron fan's perspective, not a Cavs fan's perspective.

In order to get Lebron, we had to clear cap space. We had 2 options: (a) waive Varejao, who had a non guaranteed contract; or (b) move jack, which would cost us a 1st round pick plus other valuable assets, like our backup center. Option (a) of course would have been the easiest route. It was clean, it didn't involve other teams who could change their minds, and it didn't cost us any ancillary pieces. But we chose option (b).

It was so important to the Cavs to keep Varejao that they chose to make an awful awful trade just to clear jack. Why? Two reasons: (1) Varejao was the last link to our 2006-10 glory year teams. They viewed him as crucial to landing Lebron as he was the last bit of comfort. (2) he is a 10 year veteran who has played for nobody but us. The Cavs essentially sacrificed 3 1st round picks to keep varejao (considering Zeller and Karasev 1st round picks). Varejao is untouchable.

That said, in regard to your last paragraph, we don't need to win a championship this year. We need to build a team with sustained success and let it mature. If we don't panic and don't do anything dumb (like trade key pieces for a 38 year old Garnett) championships will come naturally. The team you built has a 1 year window--- not interested in that.

As a Lebron fan, we understand your goal is to get Lebron a championship next year. As Cavs fans, we are less interested in sacrificing everything for a 1 year run.

CavsKSU25
Banned User

Post#38 » by CavsKSU25 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Temuhjan wrote:

The last year of AV's contract is unguaranteed. That means we can waive him now and not owe him a dime. Unfortunately, we cannot re-sign a player we waive.

The way around it is to trade AV to another team and have the other team waive him. Then we can re-sign him for a fraction of his original contract.

But seriously, if we can have KG and Kevin Seraphin in the middle, we do not really need AV back.

So, So much wrong with this post.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:39 pm

mup wrote:I think you're viewing this from a Lebron fan's perspective, not a Cavs fan's perspective.

We don't need to win a championship this year. We need to build a team with sustained success and let it mature. If we don't panic and don't do anything dumb (like trade key pieces for a 38 year old Garnett) championships will come naturally. The team you built has a 1 year window--- not interested in that.

As a Lebron fan, we understand your goal is to get Lebron a championship next year. As Cavs fans, we are less interested in sacrificing everything for a 1 year run.

As true Cavs fans, you should agree our ultimate goal is a NBA Championship. I maybe a bandwagoner, but I know full well we have good odds to beat the Spurs and bring home a Championship next June. Let's go Cavs!
Temuhjan
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by Temuhjan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:27 am

KuruptedCav wrote:Kosta Koufos
Kyle O'Quinn
Timofey Mozgov
DeJuan Blair

Might be worth an inquiry...

Also, if they bring in Oden, they can start Oden, Bennett, James, Wiggins, Irving... For a game. I wonder if we could bring in Brand, a Kwame Brown tire kick. I actually think Bargs would be a solid 5 on this team... But the #s don't work...

Come to think of it, Tyler Zeller would have been perfect if he wasn't traded to Boston. He is a young two-way 7-footer. Damn, he is every team's dream center! Would be nice if we can have him back.

Without doubt, the most intriguing rim protector prospect out there is Emeka Okafor. We should pray for him to accept our remaining $2.5m of cap space and play here for a year in an effort to re-establish his value.

Other than that, we have the good ol' Kevin Garnett, my favorite Kevin Seraphin and the aforementioned Kosta Koufos and Timofey Mozgov. Chicago's Nazr Mohammed is already 36yo, but he still does a solid job in the post.

However, I will not count on Oden (too injured), Blair (cannot protect the rim), O'Quinn (lack of experience and post moves) or Bargnani (lack of basketball IQ).

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers