ImageImageImage

Kyrie Irving Trade Value

Moderator: ijspeelman

soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Re: Kyrie Irving Trade Value 

Post#21 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:01 pm

House12 wrote:These are players which I think would have more trade value than Irving. Not which players would fit best on the Cavs. The list in the east is pretty short.

East:
Lebron James
Andrew Wiggins
Andre Drummond
John Wall
Joakim Noah
Paul George
Demar Derozan ( a stretch, but at less than $10M a season, he's being paid like a good starter, not an all-star)
Jabari Parker

West:
James Harden
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Kawahi Leonard
Stephen Curry ( amazing contract )
Anthony Davis
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Demarcus Cousins
LaMarcus Aldridge

Sent from my SGH-I747M using RealGM Forums mobile app

I suspect the list in the EC alone has another 10 names that may be more coveted by the typical team. I think the deepness of the PG position combine with the 5 year max contract and advanced stats like RAPM and RPM that are mediocre hurts Irving's value. Playing really well with Lebron may boost Irving's value if he meshes his game with Lebron's and picks up his defense but until he does I wouldn't think his value is that high.

Taj Gibson(great contract), Carmelo, Embiid, Marcus Smart, Nerlens Noel, Oladipo, Bradley Beal, Aaron Gordon, and Bosh. Some of these players may never be as good as Irving will be over the next 5 years but if there salaries are 30-70% less it doesn't take them playing at a higher level to be more valuable. I think their current day contracts and potential would have them possibly more valued by the typical team. There are other players who I think should be more valuable but probably aren't right now. Bosh and Carmelo in the long run will be bad contracts but in the short run probably have more trade value than Irving.
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#22 » by soxfan2003 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:11 pm

House12 wrote:Dirk is also a steal at 8M per year. And pg is the most loaded position in the league.

A lot of teams interested in a title next year and in position to have a shot may rather have Tim Duncan for 1-2 more years at his current salary than Irving or some of the other high profile PGs for 6-8. Switch Birdman and Duncan and its actually Miami that wins that series in 5 games.
haitor10
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#23 » by haitor10 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:22 pm

John Wall?
Lillard?
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#24 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:16 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Taj Gibson(great contract), Carmelo, Embiid, Marcus Smart, Nerlens Noel, Oladipo, Bradley Beal, Aaron Gordon, and Bosh. Some of these players may never be as good as Irving will be over the next 5 years but if there salaries are 30-70% less it doesn't take them playing at a higher level to be more valuable. I think their current day contracts and potential would have them possibly more valued by the typical team. There are other players who I think should be more valuable but probably aren't right now. Bosh and Carmelo in the long run will be bad contracts but in the short run probably have more trade value than Irving.

Taj Gibson could play for free and not be worth Kyrie Irving. Are you nuts?
Here are some Taj Gibson facts:

29 years old.
Career averages of 8 points and 5 rebounds.

Yeah. Lets trade Kyrie and all our picks for that. You Taj Gibson people crack me up beyond belief. One season the guy finally averages over 8 and 5 and all of a sudden he's a stud. Is he starting this year? Or did the Bulls go get a guy, no wait, two guys who play his spot? Taj Gibson. Get real.
What's so great about his contract anyway? 8 million, 8.5 million and then 9 million. Are you thinking he's worth the max?
What a homer! ROFLMAO. No GM anywhere trades Kyrie for Taj Gibson.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#25 » by B Mac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:40 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
House12 wrote:These are players which I think would have more trade value than Irving. Not which players would fit best on the Cavs. The list in the east is pretty short.

East:
Lebron James
Andrew Wiggins
Andre Drummond
John Wall
Joakim Noah
Paul George
Demar Derozan ( a stretch, but at less than $10M a season, he's being paid like a good starter, not an all-star)
Jabari Parker

West:
James Harden
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Kawahi Leonard
Stephen Curry ( amazing contract )
Anthony Davis
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Demarcus Cousins
LaMarcus Aldridge

I suspect the list in the EC alone has another 10 names that may be more coveted by the typical team. I think the deepness of the PG position combine with the 5 year max contract and advanced stats like RAPM and RPM that are mediocre hurts Irving's value. Playing really well with Lebron may boost Irving's value if he meshes his game with Lebron's and picks up his defense but until he does I wouldn't think his value is that high.

Melo and Bosh seem legit. Gibson? That is ridiculous and trumps the list of other players who have nowhere close to the same value. When answering this question you have to truthfully say whether you would honestly trade Kyrie straight up for that player.. House12's list is close although definitely disagree on Wall, Derozan, and Parker.

This whole conversation is moot though since the Cavs won't be trading Kyrie. I can't wait to see how crazy good he is as the 2nd or really even the 3rd after Love. Defenses won't be able to key on him and he is going to go nuts.
mup
Veteran
And1: 556

Post#26 » by mup » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:46 pm

Dupp wrote:He's probably got low value as his context overvalues him at present but he could be traded to a number of teams.

As for Anyhony Davis, he'll be the best player in the nba in a few years.
There are probably 25 teams that would have given him a max contract if they could have. Not sure the league agrees he is overpaid.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#27 » by soxfan2003 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:33 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:

29 years old.

Yeah. Lets trade Kyrie and all our picks for that. You Taj Gibson people crack me up beyond belief. One season the guy finally averages over 8 and 5 and all of a sudden he's a stud. Is he starting this year? Or did the Bulls go get a guy, no wait, two guys who play his spot? Taj Gibson. Get real.

I've looked into Irving's contract and now I think his trade value is even worse than I thought.

We all probably agree that the EC is much weaker conference. The selection of starters for the all star game is sometimes a popularity contest and right now its not far-fetched to think Irving could beat out Rose, Wall, Lowry and Rondo. Cleveland will probably be on national TV more than any EC club.

If he is an all-star (I believe) starter, Irving's extension reported becomes projected to become $108,823,656 over 5 years. And Irving has a 15% trade kicker so we are in essence talking 125 million over 5 years or 132 million over 6 given the final year of his rookie contract. And an opt out after 4 years as well.

On the other hand, Gibson just turned 29 a month ago and doesn't have that much wear and tear since Chicago played an inferior player(Boozer) because of his high salary except when games were on the line and Gibson played more.

Gibson's Real Plus Minus RPM is about 5 points higher then Irving. RPM isn't a perfect stat but its crazy to completely ignore it as well.

Kevin Love 5.07
Gibson 4.16
Irving -1.39
Tristan Thompson -2.05

Ask yourself why the Bulls made the playoffs this year? It was defense and Gibson is perhaps their most underrated defender. He is better defensively than Irving is better offensively right now.

Gibson ranked 22nd in the NBA in defense according to RPM and Irving 43rd on offense.

Sure Irving is likely to surpass him as a player 4 years from now but will he be 10 million a year better by then? I wouldn't be on that.

The money not used on Irving in a Gibson scenario can be used elsewhere.
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#28 » by johnnyballgame » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:06 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:

29 years old.

I've looked into Irving's contract and now I think his trade value is even worse than I thought.

We all probably agree that the EC is much weaker conference. The selection of starters for the all star game is sometimes a popularity contest and right now its not far-fetched to think Irving could beat out Rose, Wall, Lowry and Rondo. Cleveland will probably be on national TV more than any EC club.

If he is an all-star (I believe) starter, Irving's extension reported becomes projected to become $108,823,656 over 5 years. And Irving has a 15% trade kicker so we are in essence talking 125 million over 5 years or 132 million over 6 given the final year of his rookie contract. And an opt out after 4 years as well.

On the other hand, Gibson just turned 29 a month ago and doesn't have that much wear and tear since Chicago played an inferior player(Boozer) because of his high salary except when games were on the line and Gibson played more.

Gibson's Real Plus Minus RPM is about 5 points higher then Irving. RPM isn't a perfect stat but its crazy to completely ignore it as well.

Kevin Love 5.07
Gibson 4.16
Irving -1.39
Tristan Thompson -2.05

Ask yourself why the Bulls made the playoffs this year? It was defense and Gibson is perhaps their most underrated defender. He is better defensively than Irving is better offensively right now.

Gibson ranked 22nd in the NBA in defense according to RPM and Irving 43rd on offense.

Sure Irving is likely to surpass him as a player 4 years from now but will he be 10 million a year better by then? I wouldn't be on that.

You're completely $@(#*#( delusional.
Irving is likely to surpass him 4 years from now? He is ALREADY FAR, FAR ahead of him!
Let me know when Gibson cracks a starting lineup, earns an allstar nod or an allstar MVP, or a max contract or the respect of his GM to not go get two players at his position.

You're in for a big surprise when your man crush returns to 8 and 5 this season.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
soxfan2003
RealGM

Post#29 » by soxfan2003 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:

29 years old.

Kevin Love 5.07
Gibson 4.16
Irving -1.39
Tristan Thompson -2.05

You're completely $@(#*#( delusional.
Irving is likely to surpass him 4 years from now? He is ALREADY FAR, FAR ahead of him!
Let me know when Gibson cracks a starting lineup, earns an allstar nod or an allstar MVP, or a max contract or the respect of his GM to not go get two players at his position.

You're in for a big surprise when your man crush returns to 8 and 5 this season.

Gibson is an excellent defensive player and defense is arguably more than half the game since defense is more associated with championships than offense. Gibson still averaged 13 PPG this year and 18 PPG in the playoffs. He has been very good in limited minutes throughout his career. He just happened to go to a team Chicago that had to play an extremely well paid player/former all-star in front of him. Chicago was hoping to trade Boozer.

Gibson still averaged nearly 31 MPG in this years playoffs. And of all of the Bulls he performed best.
For all intents and purposes Gibson was "starting" over Boozer in the games that mattered in the playoffs.

Playoff minutes.
154 Gibson
121 Boozer

Also averaged slightly more minutes than Boozer in the regular season despite Chicago probably not wanting to crater Boozer's trade/amnesty value.

Put simply, Irving has to play much better defense or seriously upgrade his offense in a major to surpass a 2 way player like Gibson. Gibson isn't great offensively but at least he is good on that end.

Gibson will end up playing more minutes than either of the Bulls new editions in the games that count(playoffs). Just wait and see. Chicago with its depth is showing what can be done when you don't spend an average of 22 million a year on a player like Irving. Lebron is well worth 35 million a year but Irving is not worth 22 million.

Ginobili came off the bench for a lot of his career. I would have taken him at his contract value over probably 60% of the all-stars at times..

Your the person who appears to have a "man crush". I just listed Gibson as one of the players who should have more on the court value to other teams right now than Irving. You are acting like Irving is this super hero that can't be questioned when the facts show he hasn't been.

Actual all-star game performances mean next to nothing. Defense isn't played. All-star nod as we all know can be a joke as well. It is just one small data point but this past year, the Cavs were 5-6 without Irving.

If salaries weren't a consideration at all sure I would take my chances on Irving over Gibson going forward but its foolish in trade discussions to ignore an average of 22 million a year which could go to an average of 25 million per year after next year if Irving makes another all star game in the weak east.
B Mac
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 540

Post#30 » by B Mac » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 pm

No team has EVER or will EVER gameplan to stop Taj flipping Gibson. Of course a role player on a defensive oriented playoff team is going to have higher defensive rankings. Irving obviously has a long way to go defensively but also had to completely shoulder the load on offense which takes a lot of energy. Taj is not focused on by any team playing the Bulls and until he is i have a hard time comparing his value to Kyrie's who by the way is about to have a ton of pressure taking off of him.
Scrapachenko
Senior
And1: 300

Post#31 » by Scrapachenko » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:02 pm

I thought I'd seen it all but Taj F'ing Gibson more valuable than Kyrie Irving BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Back in 2009 Varejao had more win shares(the stat du'jour at one time much like the cherry picked RPM now) than Kevin Durant! We TOTALLY blew it not trading Varejao for Durant because Varejao clearly had more trade value. Durant may have scored 25 ppg that year but Varejao was on a better team and played better defense. I think the only thing that might have nixed the trade is that Varejao was only 26(not 29... when career bench players really hit the peak of their value). Perhaps if we threw in Mo Williams(who also had more WS) we could've got Durant and a draft pick or young prospect like Russell Westbrook(only 1.9 win shares that year?!?!).

There's a reason one guy just got a max deal that ANY GM IN THE LEAGUE would have given him and is playing on Team USA and another guy who has impressed so much with 9/6 on 24 mins for his career that his team just made their FA priority to sign someone to start in front of him. If Griffin called up Forman/Thibs to propose this trade, they'd probably call the Dan Gilbert to get Griffin drug tested and/or committed(right after they accepted the deal).
This is the ultimate in homerism, overvaluing a good solid role player based on convoluted statistics, projection and overexcitement over a "career year" at 29 years of age.

Chris Andersen had a higher RPM than Taj Gibson. Maybe Miami can get Derrick Rose for him??? Patty Mills had a higher RPM than Damian Lillard. Maybe the Spurs can get Lillard and a pick for him(have to even out that trade since Mills is clearly more valuable)???
Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,862

Post#32 » by Paz » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:51 am

DivineFury wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:
zeir wrote:First time posting sorry if it's in the wrong location.

Was just wondering what everyone thinks the trade value of Kyrie is? A lot of talk of trading for Love and all for Wiggins, Waiters etc. but personally, I don't like Kyrie's game too much, great offensive ISO player but defensively weak and seems injury prone.

How would Cavs fans feel of trading Kyrie, and what would you expect in return?

People I'd trade Kyrie for straight up:

Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Steph Curry
MAYBE LaMarcus Aldridge

That's it...

Please change your name. Not only is it idiotic because we didn't 3peat but because you are now suddenly a fan of all Cleveland sports.

As far your topic, none of those teams would trade the players you listed for Kyrie.

Why are you arguing with that troll, brother? He WAS a Florida fan when Lebron was here and he'd be a Illinois sports "fan" or an LA sports "fan for life" if Lebron went to either of those two teams so your words are falling on deaf ears. There are many bandwagon fans, don't let one that happens to be less genuine than pleather ruffle your feathers.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#33 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:34 am

You have to be an absolute crack pot to argue that Taj Gibson has more value than Kyrie. That is actually one of the more preposterous and deluded concepts I've heard on here, much less on the Cavs board itself.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#34 » by Dupp » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:52 am

mup wrote:
Dupp wrote:He's probably got low value as his context overvalues him at present but he could be traded to a number of teams.

As for Anyhony Davis, he'll be the best player in the nba in a few years.
There are probably 25 teams that would have given him a max contract if they could have. Not sure the league agrees he is overpaid.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I agree ami just meant he's overpaid for his current production but he will be with it
Manny Phresh
Senior
And1: 15

Post#35 » by Manny Phresh » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:24 pm

Let's trade LeBrick while we're at it. I mean we never knew what his true trade value was anyways.
BallAboveAll wrote:If you are in a marriage or a serious relationship you have to do crap you don't want to do sometimes. Why? Women can go longer without sex. :lol:
OhioGuy216
Junior
And1: 227

Post#36 » by OhioGuy216 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:19 pm

So wait...somebody is really trying to argue that Taj freaking Gibson has more trade value then Kyrie Irving? :crazy:
Lolo
Sixth Man
And1: 661

Post#37 » by Lolo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 am

Heat3Peat wrote:
DivineFury wrote:
Heat3Peat wrote:

Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Steph Curry
MAYBE LaMarcus Aldridge

That's it...

Please change your name. Not only is it idiotic because we didn't 3peat but because you are now suddenly a fan of all Cleveland sports.

As far your topic, none of those teams would trade the players you listed for Kyrie.

First off there pal I cannot change my name. Secondly, I know you didn't 3 Peat that's why AS A CAVS FAN I find it hilarious. Why else do you think I made it? I've always been a Cleveland sports fan.

If you have to explain your name in your sig, it's not all that clever, or hilarious...
Lolo
Sixth Man
And1: 661

Post#38 » by Lolo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:12 am

OhioGuy216 wrote:So wait...somebody is really trying to argue that Taj freaking Gibson has more trade value then Kyrie Irving? :crazy:

I think people are confusing trade value with tradability. Taj's contract makes him easily tradable. Irving having the max makes him harder to trade. As far as value goes, no question in my mind, Irving is more valuable, and would get more in return.
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#39 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:08 am

TheOUTLAW wrote:You have to be an absolute crack pot to argue that Taj Gibson has more value than Kyrie. That is actually one of the more preposterous and deluded concepts I've heard on here, much less on the Cavs board itself.

He was starting to convince me. Fancy stats like RPM. And as you all know Naismith stated the goal of the game is to body up.
Mr Sixer
Banned User
And1: 459

Post#40 » by Mr Sixer » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Heat3Peat wrote:
zeir wrote:First time posting sorry if it's in the wrong location.

Was just wondering what everyone thinks the trade value of Kyrie is? A lot of talk of trading for Love and all for Wiggins, Waiters etc. but personally, I don't like Kyrie's game too much, great offensive ISO player but defensively weak and seems injury prone.

How would Cavs fans feel of trading Kyrie, and what would you expect in return?

Kevin Durant
Chris Paul
Steph Curry
MAYBE LaMarcus Aldridge

That's it...

HAHAHAHAHAHHA his name is heat3peat

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers