ImageImageImage

Blatt won't commit to Starting Waiters.

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Re: Blatt won't commit to Starting Waiters. 

Post#41 » by jbk1234 » Tue Sep 9, 2014 7:11 pm

TheOUTLAW wrote:LeBron is buddies with Tristan as well, does that mean he'll start?

The thing is that if the Cavs don't start Dion, for defensive reasons they have to start Delly at the 2 guard. Kyrie and Delly didn't really mesh well when on the court together last year. Frankly, I'm willing to wait and see how the pieces fit.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
davidse
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#42 » by davidse » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:34 pm

blatt puts an emphasis on guard defense.

kyrie is a given, but not sure a combination of kyrie and waiters is something blatt would be excited about.

at the two, I think blatt will try going with lebron so he can start marion at the 3 and have the team's best 3 defenders (those two+ AV) on the floor.
bb22
Starter
And1: 984

Post#43 » by bb22 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:08 am

After day 1 of training camp, Blatt seems very calm and careful with his words. I went to a few Maccabi Euroleague games and have watched many more on TV. He is an extremely meticulous coach, yet come tipoff, he lets his players play. I think his transition will be fairly smooth. Maccabi is an extremely ambitious team that is considered a contender year after year, and attracts some of the best talent outside of the NBA. So the fact that he is coming to a star-studded roster with high expectations from the media will not phase him.
ThirdEyeSharp
Junior
And1: 36

Post#44 » by ThirdEyeSharp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:27 pm

If LeBron was really as bad as you guys say how come we never signed Maverick Carter? Lol.

Dion could start on this team, I wouldn't mind if Joe Harris started though. It would be so shocking to start a 2nd rounder on THIS team of top 5 picks.
improvisor
Rookie
And1: 430

Post#45 » by improvisor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:15 pm

ThirdEyeSharp wrote:If LeBron was really as bad as you guys say how come we never signed Maverick Carter? Lol.

Dion could start on this team, I wouldn't mind if Joe Harris started though. It would be so shocking to start a 2nd rounder on THIS team of top 5 picks.

I don't see Harris getting much time. I see him in the dleague. He really didn't do much in summer league. We will see how he does in camp but ultimately he won't get significant minutes imo. I still see dion starting. On media day he mentioned defense a few times. I see him excelling at it like his Draft reports said he would. He has played zone for the longest and getting better at man with more experience. Waiters knows he will have to be a 3 and D player this year, at least that's what I got from the press conference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Antrim
Sixth Man
And1: 703

Post#46 » by Antrim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:06 pm

SmoothKobra wrote:
Dupp wrote:If things are rocky neither will go it will get sorted out just like in Miami. Blatt is in charge of rotations not lebron. Lebron isn't a dumb kid anymore he knows how a successful team is run and it's not by trying to go above the coach.

LeBron just traded 7+ guaranteed years of Wiggins for 10 guaranteed months of Kevin Love. There is absolutely no question who is running the team at this point. Blatt will be LeBron's subordinate, not the other way around.

This guy gets it.
ThirdEyeSharp
Junior
And1: 36

Post#47 » by ThirdEyeSharp » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:10 pm

improvisor wrote:
ThirdEyeSharp wrote:If LeBron was really as bad as you guys say how come we never signed Maverick Carter? Lol.

I don't see Harris getting much time. I see him in the dleague. He really didn't do much in summer league. We will see how he does in camp but ultimately he won't get significant minutes imo. I still see dion starting. On media day he mentioned defense a few times. I see him excelling at it like his Draft reports said he would. He has played zone for the longest and getting better at man with more experience. Waiters knows he will have to be a 3 and D player this year, at least that's what I got from the press conference.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using RealGM Forums mobile app

I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the d - league most of the season. I'm just saying he is a lot better than most people think. He's very, very solid in nearly every aspect in the game while being an above average shooter and defender.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#48 » by zimpy27 » Sun Oct 5, 2014 5:30 am

Cavs have 3 players that can get their own shot off the dribble: Irving, LeBron, Waiters.

Unless Blatt can come up with some clever rotations he would have to start Waiters on the bench.

Last year Cleveland's best +/- 2-man, 3-man, 4-man, 5-man lineups all had Waiters in them. And usually it was with Varejao and Delly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Delly, Waiters, and Varejao made a second grouping off the bench as they were the Cavs most potent weapon last year. That way you would start Miller and Thompson with Irving, LeBron, and Love.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#49 » by RSCD3_ » Sun Oct 5, 2014 6:36 am

zimpy27 wrote:Cavs have 3 players that can get their own shot off the dribble: Irving, LeBron, Waiters.

Unless Blatt can come up with some clever rotations he would have to start Waiters on the bench.

Last year Cleveland's best +/- 2-man, 3-man, 4-man, 5-man lineups all had Waiters in them. And usually it was with Varejao and Delly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Delly, Waiters, and Varejao made a second grouping off the bench as they were the Cavs most potent weapon last year. That way you would start Miller and Thompson with Irving, LeBron, and Love.

Waiters can play off ball with te starters as a deadly catch and shoot player and then be The playmaker for the bench units a la harden

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,970

Post#50 » by zimpy27 » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:57 am

Yeah I'm not saying it because Waiters can't play off the ball, I'm saying it because the back up unit needs someone who can make plays off the dribble for themselves. That person should be Waiters.

Cavs could either have 3 players that can get a shot off the dribble for lengths or the game or they can organise it so that 2 players that can get a shot off the dribble at all points of the game.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#51 » by Dupp » Mon Oct 6, 2014 1:59 am

zimpy27 wrote:Yeah I'm not saying it because Waiters can't play off the ball, I'm saying it because the back up unit needs someone who can make plays off the dribble for themselves. That person should be Waiters.

Cavs could either have 3 players that can get a shot off the dribble for lengths or the game or they can organise it so that 2 players that can get a shot off the dribble at all points of the game.

I agree in theory but waiters is a bit of a bitch that plays like **** as a reserve.
TheKingofSting
RealGM
And1: 2,163

Post#52 » by TheKingofSting » Mon Oct 6, 2014 2:51 am

I personally hope he starts for the good of the team.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,123

Post#53 » by jbk1234 » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:17 am

Dupp wrote:
zimpy27 wrote:Yeah I'm not saying it because Waiters can't play off the ball, I'm saying it because the back up unit needs someone who can make plays off the dribble for themselves. That person should be Waiters.

I agree in theory but waiters is a bit of a bitch that plays like **** as a reserve.

What? His numbers are pretty much the same as a starter or a reserve according to basketballreference.com.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
The Realist
Starter
And1: 1,496

Post#54 » by The Realist » Tue Oct 7, 2014 7:55 am

SmoothKobra wrote:LeBron just traded 7+ guaranteed years of Wiggins for 10 guaranteed months of Kevin Love. There is absolutely no question who is running the team at this point. Blatt will be LeBron's subordinate, not the other way around.

But what is the likelihood of Love staying for 5+ years? 95%? More? That's better than the certainty of Wiggins for 7+ years.
meh
SmoothKobra
Starter
And1: 638

Post#55 » by SmoothKobra » Tue Oct 7, 2014 2:12 pm

The Realist wrote:
SmoothKobra wrote:LeBron just traded 7+ guaranteed years of Wiggins for 10 guaranteed months of Kevin Love. There is absolutely no question who is running the team at this point. Blatt will be LeBron's subordinate, not the other way around.

But what is the likelihood of Love staying for 5+ years? 95%? More? That's better than the certainty of Wiggins for 7+ years.

There's no way to know the liklihood of Love staying. You can't predict it because we don't know him personally, we don't know what he's thinking. So far, he's been the 3rd option--Bosh. How does he handle that if it continues? Does he bolt for LA where he can get 18 shots again? Impossible to know til next summer. What we do know is Wiggins will be under team control for the better part of a decade.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers