ImageImageImage

2015 Offseason Thread

Moderator: ijspeelman

ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Re: 2015 Offseason Thread 

Post#201 » by ohio » Tue Jul 7, 2015 3:57 pm

So this might sound kind of weird but I guess me and LeBron share a DMV.

today while getting my license renewed I seen a life size cutout of lebron at the dmv I went to and it says it's been 6 months since LeBron last visited us.

Kind of weird... But there's that...

I was going to take a pic but figure it's too creepy...
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#202 » by johnnyballgame » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:17 pm

yoyoboy wrote:
Dupp wrote:Why can't we just trade James jones and mike miller instead of andely thy?

Jones is now an unrestricted free agent and Miller is making under $3 million next year, so if we want Joe Johnson, Miller's salary plus Haywood wouldn't be enough to match that of Johnson.

But the most important reason we don't get Joe Johnson is because he'll cost over $100 million dollars after taxes and penalties (actual figure).
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,121

Post#203 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:47 pm

johnnyballgame wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
Dupp wrote:Why can't we just trade James jones and mike miller instead of andely thy?

Jones is now an unrestricted free agent and Miller is making under $3 million next year, so if we want Joe Johnson, Miller's salary plus Haywood wouldn't be enough to match that of Johnson.

But the most important reason we don't get Joe Johnson is because he'll cost over $100 million dollars after taxes and penalties (actual figure).

He won't though. You'd be trading Andy's contract so that would be $10 million off the books. So you are talking about adding $15 million in salary not $25 million. If they trade Haywood's contract for $10 million in players, you are talking about only adding an additional $5 million in salary.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#204 » by tidho » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:49 pm

The Joe Johnson talks discussion was dead a week before anyone even knew about it.

Crawford is a reasonable addition to the team we had last year. They've been saying all along they'd look to add wing depth with Haywood's deal....that's what Crawford is.

We need to:
1) get Thompson, Delly, LeBron, and JR done.
2) add a wing with Haywood's deal.
3) sign Tayshaun Prince to a vetmin.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#205 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:03 pm

tidho wrote:The Joe Johnson talks discussion was dead a week before anyone even knew about it.

Crawford is a reasonable addition to the team we had last year. They've been saying all along they'd look to add wing depth with Haywood's deal....that's what Crawford is.

We need to:
1) get Thompson, Delly, LeBron, and JR done.
2) add a wing with Haywood's deal.
3) sign Tayshaun Prince to a vetmin.

If Crawford is the best that we can presently do with Haywood's contract, I just assume convert it to a TPE. I'd rather have the flexibility going forward than add another chucker to the roster who doesn't play defense. Some team at the deadline could get desperate to unload salary to get under the tax if they feel like they aren't contending anyway. You could end with Chandler if Denver decides to tank.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,125

Post#206 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Jul 7, 2015 5:28 pm

Rise Against wrote:Glad that Mo is back. Brings back those memories from 5-6 years ago. Remember when he was part of the Clippers trade, which helped us get Kyrie in the draft? Lol.

Oh, and why don't we bring back Jamario Moon while we are at it? 8-)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IAmJamarioMoon/status/618254148816007168[/tweet]

He would make an excellent Moon Dog...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 9:17 pm

Rise Against wrote:Glad that Mo is back. Brings back those memories from 5-6 years ago. Remember when he was part of the Clippers trade, which helped us get Kyrie in the draft? Lol.

Oh, and why don't we bring back Jamario Moon while we are at it? 8-)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/IAmJamarioMoon/status/618254148816007168[/tweet]

Someone has to ask: When was the last time he played meaningful minutes in the NBA?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#208 » by Dupp » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:04 pm

^^ when he played for us

Anyway things aren't moving along very well. Other teams are making moves and the only depth we've added is mo.

This is assuming we bring back TT and J R too, otherwise we've gotten worse.
WestEndZone
Banned User
And1: 240

Post#209 » by WestEndZone » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:22 pm

remember when Mo dissed LeBron?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-bxNcFHCuk[/youtube]
RussellandFlow
Bench Warmer
And1: 917
Location: San Francisco born & raised, Pacific Northwest living

Post#210 » by RussellandFlow » Tue Jul 7, 2015 10:30 pm

Dupp-Not sure how you have gotten worse when you have not lost anyone of great significance. You're still the class of the East. As long as Kyrie and Love remain healthy this time around you will be in the finals again. There is a reason Cleveland is currently favored to win the title. Outside of San Antonio what other contender has improved this off-season? Golden State: swapped Lee for Wallace, Clippers: worse, Memphis: only added Brandan Wright, Houston: same team, Chicago: same team, OKC: done nothing of note.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#211 » by Dupp » Tue Jul 7, 2015 11:03 pm

I said if we don't bring back j r and TT we have gotten worse
ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Post#212 » by ohio » Wed Jul 8, 2015 12:23 am

WestEndZone wrote:

just because WW1 and WW2 happened doesn't mean Rolls Royce cannot be produced in germany now.
RussellandFlow
Bench Warmer
And1: 917
Location: San Francisco born & raised, Pacific Northwest living

Post#213 » by RussellandFlow » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:23 am

My mistake, but where is TT going to go? What team has the cap space needed to sign him where Cleveland will not match, he is restricted so he is not going anywhere. JR miscalculated the market as no team to my knowledge has been rumored to be interested in him, so I think he returns as well. Anything is possible, but I would suggest all Cavs fans relax and get ready for another finals appearance.
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Post#214 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:34 am

WestEndZone wrote:

I prefer memories like this one:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LnWMS1itR8[/youtube]
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,801

Post#215 » by yoyoboy » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:38 am

RussellandFlow wrote:My mistake, but where is TT going to go? What team has the cap space needed to sign him where Cleveland will not match, he is restricted so he is not going anywhere. JR miscalculated the market as no team to my knowledge has been rumored to be interested in him, so I think he returns as well. Anything is possible, but I would suggest all Cavs fans relax and get ready for another finals appearance.

That's what I'm thinking. There's no other team out there who would pay TT over $13 million+ per year. If I'm the Cavs I let Tristan see who he can get an offer sheet from and then they can just match whatever it is. No point in immediately offering him a max contract.

Same goes for JR, as well. There's no team that's willing to pay JR as much as the Cavs are, so I doubt he goes anywhere. Though who knows honestly, maybe a team desperate for another wing surprises everyone and snatches him up.

Personally I'm not going to say the Cavs will definitely make it to the Finals again. The east is weak, but I think the Bulls could be tough if Hoiberg's offense works out and Mirotic and Butler continue to grow. The Hawks could be a threat too if they start looking like the team they were at the beginning of last season.
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#216 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Jul 8, 2015 6:03 am

yoyoboy wrote:
RussellandFlow wrote:My mistake, but where is TT going to go? What team has the cap space needed to sign him where Cleveland will not match, he is restricted so he is not going anywhere. JR miscalculated the market as no team to my knowledge has been rumored to be interested in him, so I think he returns as well. Anything is possible, but I would suggest all Cavs fans relax and get ready for another finals appearance.

That's what I'm thinking. There's no other team out there who would pay TT over $13 million+ per year. If I'm the Cavs I let Tristan see who he can get an offer sheet from and then they can just match whatever it is. No point in immediately offering him a max contract.

Same goes for JR, as well. There's no team that's willing to pay JR as much as the Cavs are, so I doubt he goes anywhere. Though who knows honestly, maybe a team desperate for another wing surprises everyone and snatches him up.

Personally I'm not going to say the Cavs will definitely make it to the Finals again. The east is weak, but I think the Bulls could be tough if Hoiberg's offense works out and Mirotic and Butler continue to grow. The Hawks could be a threat too if they start looking like the team they were at the beginning of last season.

No love for the Wizards? I think were better, just thought for stretches they were second best in East. If Wall wasn't injured maybe we'd have played them.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#217 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Jul 8, 2015 6:17 am

I hear the rest of the mini exception used to sign Mo is ear marked for someone potentially bought out during the season. Gotta love the Cavs thinking ahead
big_ticket
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#218 » by big_ticket » Wed Jul 8, 2015 9:35 am

i think TT will not get what he wants...he is not an 5yr 80mil kinda player
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#219 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jul 8, 2015 1:01 pm

Dupp wrote:I said if we don't bring back j r and TT we have gotten worse

I'm not high on Crawford, but I don't see a whole lot of difference between him and JR. TT's only leaving in a S&T because no one has the cap space to sign him out right. If we swung a Morris & Tucker for TT deal, we'll be just fine (better in the long run actually). The only thing I'm upset about is the fact that we could have gotten Bismack as a mini MLE insurance policy and we didn't. Mo would have come here for the minimum.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
johnnyballgame
Senior

Post#220 » by johnnyballgame » Wed Jul 8, 2015 3:32 pm

Sam Amico says this morning that Cavs are talking with just three teams.... Lakers, Clippers and Suns for Haywood.
Morris has serious charges pending with 5-15 years in prison. Phoenix lost out on Aldridge, so why are they intent on trading away their entire front court?
Surely they'll need big men in return for Morris. We can't or shouldn't want to make that work.
Lakers and Clippers don't have anything we'd want... Crawford or Nick Young haven't worked.

Every repeated rumor makes it sound more and more like an exception is coming sooner rather than later.
I read weeks ago that Griffin said he thought he'd have that done shortly after July 1st.
No harm in listening to offer I guess, but I don't expect contenders to give up good players.
Clips could easily wind up sellers during the season after losing Jordan.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers