2015 Offseason Thread

Moderator: ijspeelman

johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Re: Re: 2015 Offseason Thread 

Post#261 » by johnnyballgame » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:04 pm

tidho wrote:
johnnyballgame wrote:Wow. We're going to be awful this season. If only the entire team was two way studs.
Come down off the ledge. Every team has short comings. We're obviously good enough to win the East. The defense was pretty damn good last season and all the guys are back. The problem was offense and the additions address that. Its been a great off season. Be realistic. What were you expecting to happen? How many Olympians/all stars would be good enough?

Similarly, lets not get hyperbolic about what I'm saying. Yes the team (as we expect it to look) is good enough to at least get to the ECF. I'm talking about what can stop us from winning a championship.

There was a similar discussion last year during which I was critical of the post Love trade team because it lacked perimeter defense. Turns out the season revealed my concerns to be legitimate...but fortunately the Knicks bailed us out.

Going into this year I'm comfortable saying our teams downfall would not be having one less spot up shooter that can't defend. There are two potential week spots, front court depth (because Andy should not be counted on) which Kaun would fix, and athletic defense off the bench.

I haven't once said we must get more "two way studs" or "Olympians/all stars". We do need to ensure that if the roster gets a little thin again, and we need to get LeBron some rest with a ten point lead, that the team can hold if for five or six minutes rather than a minute and a half.

Fair enough, but your post is very critical of each signing we've made as if we've had the flexibility to do much else.
You've broke down players to reveal their faults when the truth is sometimes the sum of the parts equal more. JR Smith, Love and Kyrie were never known for individual defense but our defense as a team wasn't awful.
From what I watched last year, the additions we've made directly addressed the biggest flaws. The defense was good enough to win versus the leagues top offense. We struggled on the offensive side of the ball, mostly due to injury. But the starters are going to be healthy again, so all we can or needed to do was address the bench and prevent the same situation and we have.
Considering where we were at the end of the season I think we've done pretty well.
Sure any team can get better, but none has ever been perfect.
So I ask you this question again, because you know what you're talking about: Who do you think we could have or rather should have gotten?
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Re: 2015 Offseason Thread 

Post#262 » by No-Man » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:46 am

Likely,

Irving-Williams-Dellavedova
Shumpert-Smith-Harris
James-Jones-Pointer
Love-Thompson-Jefferson
Mozgov-Varejao-Kaun
FrontPageNews
Starter
And1: 1,474

Post#263 » by FrontPageNews » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:17 am

Fischella wrote:Likely,

Shumpert-Smith-Harris
James-Jones-Pointer
Love-Thompson-Jefferson
Mozgov-Varejao-Kaun

You lost me at pointer
Birdie
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,516

Post#264 » by Birdie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:52 am

FrontPageNews wrote:

Shumpert-Smith-Harris
James-Jones-Pointer
Love-Thompson-Jefferson
Mozgov-Varejao-Kaun

You lost me at pointer

IDK, he's worth developing. He's got the foundation to be a wing stopper and has slashing ability. It's his offense that is complete trash. If he/they can find someway to refine his 3pt shot, he could be a diamond in the rough, Kawhi-esque.

Let him go toe to toe with LBJ in practice for the year and see if he shows anything. I'm sure he'll sign a cheap 3 yr non-guaranteed deal, so, he should be easily waived if need be. Him & Joe most likely gonna spend most of their time down in Canton anyways during the season as spot 14 & 15. Why not take the flyer to see if he can show you something?
Come at the king, you best not miss...
ohio
Starter
And1: 2,322

Post#265 » by ohio » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:10 am

Sir'Dominic

that's just a weird name
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Re: Re: 2015 Offseason Thread 

Post#266 » by tidho » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 am

johnnyballgame wrote:So I ask you this question again, because you know what you're talking about: Who do you think we could have or rather should have gotten?

The very next guy signed in the NBA was Rice3...that would have been better because at least he has the athleticism to compete on the defensive end. Tayshaun would have been better too because at least he can defend the position.

....of course the James Jones deal doesn't look as bad now that Miller is gone.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Post#267 » by tidho » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:23 am

Shumpert-Smith-Harris
James-Jones-Pointer
Love-Thompson-Jefferson
Mozgov-Varejao-Kaun

Hopefully they can get the four deals done they'll need to make this happen.
I think I'd flip Jefferson and Jones, but suppose it doesn't really matter.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,070

Post#268 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:20 pm

Favorite part of the Haywood trade:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/625484546193162240[/tweet]
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
johnnyballgame
Senior
And1: 76

Post#269 » by johnnyballgame » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 am

jbk1234 wrote:Favorite part of the Haywood trade:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/625484546193162240[/tweet]

Bobby Marks is very informative. Hope he gains more and more popularity.
Miller probably wouldn't come back anyway. He's supposedly mad at Blatt and seeking more playing time.
Apparently he doesn't care about winning because if he plays more his team's going to be losing.
He seems to have lost all his athleticism and looks older and older every time I see him.
Kyrie most of the time when he shoots starts with the ball and then dribbles a while then shoots. -statistical analysis from a 'longtime' Cavs fan (June 2017)
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#270 » by FrontPageNews » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:09 pm

So who do you think we target with the 10.5 TE? I think Kevin Martin will be a good target. He's got 7M and a player option for 7 next year. Minny probably wants to move him. I think there's gonna be a lot of teams looking to move players at the deadline to have even more cap room next year. Or a team like okc that doesn't like to pay the tax.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#271 » by Dupp » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 am

How come we can't resign miller if he's waived? Did that rule change or something? I remember doing it with big z
FrontPageNews
Starter

Post#272 » by FrontPageNews » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 am

Dupp wrote:How come we can't resign miller if he's waived? Did that rule change or something? I remember doing it with big z

Yes that rule changed right after we did that. They changed it in the offseason.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by jbk1234 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:33 pm

Dupp wrote:How come we can't resign miller if he's waived? Did that rule change or something? I remember doing it with big z

We can still hire him as an assistant coach or male cheerleader.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#274 » by Dupp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:09 pm

Already on the books as lebrons groupie
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#275 » by Rastas » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:44 pm

https://youtu.be/FP5aeQXSvgc
If the Heat cut this kid he looks like a good backup SF (over Jones) for the min.
His highlites actually come close to Lebrons, but he needs work on his handle hence he is on the choping block at SF stacked Miami.
Paz
Analyst
And1: 3,862

Post#276 » by Paz » Sun Aug 2, 2015 1:37 am

Rastas wrote:https://youtu.be/FP5aeQXSvgc
If the Heat cut this kid he looks like a good backup SF (over Jones) for the min.
His highlites actually come close to Lebrons, but he needs work on his handle hence he is on the choping block at SF stacked Miami.

The HEAT are probably not going to cut him if he impresses in pre season. His drawbacks are ball handling and he is a streaky shooter. He s**t the bed during SL and that may ruin his chances to be re-signed. Why don't you guys pick up Beasley?
Rastas
Starter

Post#277 » by Rastas » Sun Aug 2, 2015 4:36 pm

Paz wrote:

The HEAT are probably not going to cut him if he impresses in pre season. His drawbacks are ball handling and he is a streaky shooter. He s**t the bed during SL and that may ruin his chances to be re-signed. Why don't you guys pick up Beasley?

Ahh good for Ennis if you guys sign him, however I feel a little bad for him sitting either at the end of your bench or in a suit
as you guys have plenty of SF's ahead of him this season , an opportunity at another team needing a backup SF would be best
for all in a perfect world.
Rastas
Starter

Post#278 » by Rastas » Sun Aug 2, 2015 4:38 pm

Oh and I'm pretty sure Beasley is all yours!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#279 » by jbk1234 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 5:41 pm

Paz wrote:

For the same reason we aren't picking up other bad players.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Dupp
RealGM

Post#280 » by Dupp » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:53 am

Any news on whats going on with J R?

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers