ImageImageImage

Do you think Lebron will make a run for mayor of Akron after he retires?

Moderator: ijspeelman

HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Re: Do you think Lebron will make a run for mayor of Akron after he retires? 

Post#21 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:35 am

FirePjax wrote:

Most people would believe running a multibillion dollar, multinational corporation is certainly a qualification.
Yes, hence why Trump is a candidate. That doesn't mean it is correct.

Really basic question for you to answer if you till do not understand my point.

Are most people informed or uninformed? The topic can be about anything, not just politics. By nature, it is the latter. Being a millionaire and a CEO has little correlation with being a President.

The only position that is simular to the office of POTUS is governor.
It's not the only position that is "similar", there are other things you can do that are relevant to being the President - and yes the governor is one of the most transferable occupations you can have, hence why goners have large advantages in Presidential elections. Also, mayor is also essentially the same job, hence the mayor of New York is often seen as a credible credential.

Following your logic, unless a candate has the executive position of governor on his/her resume they have no qualifications.
Then you need to re-read what I said. It seems like you're just ignoring some essential sentences, and you're also making an extreme argument.

IF you followed my logic, your conclusion wouldn't be that you need to be a governor in order to have a qualification. ANY job in politics would PREPARE you to some degree for becoming President, as a President IS a politician. Any qualification that has to do with DIPLOMACY (whether it is foreign or domestic) would also be relevant as the President is the Chief Diplomat. Any qualification that has to do with managerial military experience would ALSO be relevant as the President is the Chief-in-Commander. Any qualification that shows prior leadership in his party would be relevant, as he is the leader of his party. Any experience in advocacy, economics, science and what not would all be relevant to some degree, as these are things the President will have to deal with (of course most Presidents in the US have advisors for these things, but it does not degrade the qualification). If you have work as a POLITICAL analyst (which is what I used to do) or even worked in the legal department for any government agency, that would be relevant - Trump has NO political experience, his experience is almost as relevant as Ben Carson's. In other words, if you knew nothing about Trump and only had his resume, what would make you think he would know anything about politics or any subject that is related to politics - perhaps he might know about industry to some varying degree, every thing else you would have no reason to think he has any expertise in.

You are just under the impression that being a businessmen means you are well qualified to be President, because businessmen tend to run for offices including the Presidency. It is as silly as when people think that becoming a lawyer is a credible credential for becoming a politician because many lawyers become politicians (though at the very least, a lawyer would have an expertise, as they have graduate level education).

I personally don't want someone in executive office if they have never met a payroll.I think you are a little confused. Presidents aren't not technocrats,
I am confused yet you're under the impression that I said Presidents are technocrats? My prior statement of "you need to re-read what I said" needs to be taken literally, you really do need to re-read what I said because your interpretation is way off.

I said that Trump does not have political experience nor is he a technocrat (you brought up education, higher education is only relevant if you're running with the guise of a technocrat). Ideally, if someone were not to have experience in politics, then they should have an expertise (ie a technocrat), ie if Albert Einstein hypothetically ran for President, he could sell everyone on his mastery of science. Donald Trump has a bachelors degree in Economics, he is not a technocrat - and generally speaking Technocrats do not make it far in Presidential elections in the US, but they have been elected in other nations.

nor are they supposed to be, most of the job is making decisions based on the advice of other people. Scott Walker beat a recall election, took on the unions and one and he didn't go far partly because he didn't have a college degree. I loath career politicans, snd I'm not saying because Lebron has no political experiance he should be disqualified from the office of mayor. What I am saying is he has no experiance otherwise which would qualify him for such position. You have listed any of his qualifications, have you?

I did not, but you did not list any of Trump's qualifications either, and you also claimed that he had impressive education, which he does not, unless your standard for education is relatively low (undergrad education is not "impressive" education in the United States).

I am sure Lebron James has "business" experience also, as business is vague. You're under the impression that because many business men run for office that means they are qualified, businessmen become politicians because they have the money to win campaigns, and thus spread the idea that being a good businessmen is the same thing as being well qualified official. Also, we are talking about the Mayor of a minor city, you do not need insane credentials to become mayor of a city like Akron.

PS: This is not supposed to be an Anti-Trump post.
ThumbsUpBaby
Head Coach
And1: 10,824

Post#22 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:13 am

I see LeBron being an entertainer (host of variety shows, acting, etc) moreso than entering politics.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#23 » by Warriorfan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:27 am

Lebron is on track to be a billionaire like MJ. Partial ownership of an NBA team is a way for him to get there
He could be a governor if he wanted to. Charles Barkey use to want to be governor of Alabama.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#24 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 am

He could do more for Akron as a private citizen than he could as Mayor.
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#25 » by NatiboyB » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:39 am

no but I do see him buying the Cavs from Dan Gilbert

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers