Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: Game 4: Milwaukee at Boston - 1:05 PM 

Post#81 » by El Duderino » Sat Apr 5, 2014 1:55 am

LUKE23 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
I hope Braun's injury is career-ending and insurance pays nearly his entire contract. That would be my best-case scenario. I think it would be great for the Brewers to just write him out of existence and no, I am not saying that just because he's been so bad. I went on record saying I thought the standing ovation was offensive, and I also want a fresh start for the franchise. Build around Luc, Gomez, and Segura.

:lol:

Yea, Braun handled his whole PED situation like a total douchebag, but so long as this thumb issue isn't something that impacts his career, i hope he finishes that long career in Milwaukee.

Hell, look at David Ortiz. The guy gets busted for using Ped's, lies by saying he didn't know he was using something illegal, and only two years later after helping the Red Sox win another ring, he's treated as a god in Boston and the face of their franchise. Granted, Ortiz did act like a prick and try pretending he was framed by a urine collector, but he was still a lying PED user and only a short time later is taking selfies with the president. The title winning Seattle Seahawks seemed to have about a quarter of their team get busted for PED use. The St. Louis Cardinals sign Peralta who was busted in the same bio-genetics scandal as Braun.

This thumb situation is very concerning though that nearly a half a year of rest seems to have accomplished nothing.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,367

Post#82 » by trwi7 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 4:50 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:I hope Braun's injury is career-ending and insurance pays nearly his entire contract. That would be my best-case scenario. I think it would be great for the Brewers to just write him out of existence and no, I am not saying that just because he's been so bad. I went on record saying I thought the standing ovation was offensive, and I also want a fresh start for the franchise. Build around Luc, Gomez, and Segura.

stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,843

Post#83 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 2:45 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
I hope Braun's injury is career-ending and insurance pays nearly his entire contract. That would be my best-case scenario. I think it would be great for the Brewers to just write him out of existence and no, I am not saying that just because he's been so bad. I went on record saying I thought the standing ovation was offensive, and I also want a fresh start for the franchise. Build around Luc, Gomez, and Segura.

:lol:

"If Braun cheated, I am done with him."

I guess you don't remember saying those exact words, huh?
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,238

Post#84 » by LUKE23 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:41 pm

I wasn't standing up for him at opening day, and I'd be more than fine trading him assuming the return was legitimate. I'm not going to root for a career ending injury for him though, that's a bit overboard. And I'm not going to root for him to play poorly because it hurts the team and I want to see the Brewers do well. I think he handled the situation awfully, worse than anyone possibly could have, but if the team is going to keep him, I don't have much choice as a Brewer fan. I think a trade is the ideal situation. I don't think he deserves to have his career end though. And I'm not going to cheer for him to suck, because it hurts the Brewers.

Also, a lot of people said the same thing when everything was coming out. It's a little different once time passes and the guy is back on your team and you are depending on him to win.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,159
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#85 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:19 pm

Braun handled it the same way every other MLB player in history that was caught/suspected has handled it. Don't tell while you're doing it, lie once you get caught, and never speak of it officially once caught. The closest example to being the opposite is Andy Pettitte (probably) semi-lying AFTER caught that he "tried it once." How many drug addicts do you know or see on Cops that say "it's my first time" when they're caught?

In Braun's case, it was a special circumstance where he could almost get out of it. If it wasn't for a leak that he was appealing in the first place, who knows, this stuff may never come about and we may never know. I agree that going on the offensive was a bit brash, but he probably thought he was going to get away with it.

Given what has happened, my fandom has gone down a bit of the guy, but if you're going to take a stand against steroids, you might as well not even follow baseball. I think someday it will be nearly eradicated from the sport as the players continue to buy in to harsher penalties, but there is no reason to believe that Gomez, Segura, and/or LuCroy couldn't be on the stuff. I'd like to imagine that none of those guys are on it, but so many players have/will be caught for every team...and all of them will lie when caught or while under investigation. Still haven't seen a player that hasn't.

For the record, I'm not necessarily defending him nor am I "supporting" his actions. I've always been a sports fan first and rarely fall in love with the players themselves. Of course, I normally am a huge fan of the up-and-coming players but I don't fall into a Brett Favre-sort of swoon for almost any player. Too much of this **** happens. Braun is one of the few guys that I've lost some of whatever respect I had for when he did all of that stuff, but he's still a player on the field and I will continue to be a Brewers fan.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,843

Post#86 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Apr 5, 2014 7:21 pm

I don't think a good trade is likely. We're not going to see elite players dominate well into their 30's anymore now that they're cleaning up PED's. He's 30. He's going to be making about $20m per year until he's 35. I don't think he's going to be worth it, and I don't think he's ever going to play at his 2012 level again. I can't imagine a team would give up much for him in a trade, especially with this thumb situation. I agree, that's the best-case scenario - but I don't think it's a very realistic one. I don't think they'll get much for him in a trade. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if his trade value is only a little better than neutral.

I'd just so much rather be spending that $20m per year on players I can feel good about rooting for. If I thought Braun was going to be an elite player for the next 5 years, I'd be willing to accept the reasoning most people are using behind rooting for him. The fans shouldn't suffer. But since I don't think he's going to consistently justify his salary from now on, I'd rather just be able to wipe his salary off the books and spend it on other players.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,928

Post#87 » by BUCKnation » Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:45 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:

One of the worst posts I've ever seen. :lol:
GB_Packers
Head Coach
And1: 1,248

Post#88 » by GB_Packers » Sun Apr 6, 2014 6:32 am

The standing ovation....was...offensive.

LOL. What an embarrassing comment. I'd forget about my current account, take some time away from the board and start over with a new one in a few weeks after that little paragraph. Good grief.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers