ImageImage

Game 7: The Fonz(4-2) @ Rocky(3-3): 3:05PM CT

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Re: Game 7: The Fonz(4-2) @ Rocky(3-3): 3:05PM CT 

Post#101 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 9, 2014 1:51 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:There's a pretty extensive body of work that suggests Zach Duke is just not a very good MLB pitcher.

I thought he's pitched pretty well so far this year, except for mostly some bad luck.

In Boston there was bad defense behind him and today he did give up a run, but the Revere triple would have only been a single if Davis hadn't foolishly dove for that flare and Rollins followed with a non-hard hit seeing eye grounder which just found an opening between Segura and Aramis. Duke after that got through the 3-4-5 hitters with two K's and a weakly hit flyball.

I was leery of the team keeping Duke, but overall i thought he's pitched well so far when looking strictly at how batters have hit against him. I don't hold against a relief pitcher seeing eye grounders which just find a hole, shaky defense, and a flare leading to a triple instead of a single because our LF made a mistake diving for the ball.

Plus, by keeping Duke it allows for using Will Smith in full inning situations. That said, it would be nice to see Wang get some innings because eventually a pitcher or two is going to suffer an injury that doesn't require a DL stint and we can't have a guy in the pen who rarely ever pitches.
jtf150
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#102 » by jtf150 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:04 am

BigDee wrote:The hat trick for Braun. Who would have thought.

The best part was the guy yelling "cheater" and the boos, then Braun hitting it out.
“I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''” - Muhammad Ali
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#103 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:11 am

bizarro wrote:Great to see Hendo throwing in the mid to upper 90's! 95, 95, 96 on the gun on the past 3 pitches.

Yea, that was a very encouraging outing today. If Henderson can get himself back to where he was last year, this bullpen has a chance to be a major strength, especially if Thornburg also continues to thrive.

Bullpens from year to year often are so volatile and hard to predict before a season starts, but IMO they are the most underrated aspect to team success in today's baseball.

With pretty much every team in baseball today following a similar formula of pulling starters at roughly 100-115 pitches, bullpens throw more innings than ever before. Not only that, it leaves a certain few relief pitchers to finish out the vastly majority of close game from either the 7th inning on or the 8th and 9th innings. When those late inning main guys are unreliable and blow to many tie games or games when you have a small lead, that's really hard for any team to overcome when division titles and/or wild card berths are often decided by only a single game or 2-3 games.

Plus, as torturous as it is for fans cheering for a team with a really shaky bullpen, it has to be very demoralizing for players on those teams thinking every time guy gets on base in the 8th or 9th inning, oh crap, here we go again.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#104 » by jimmybones » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:22 am

Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#105 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:33 am

Once Gorzo gets back I'd kick Duke to the curb. He's a loogy since he dropped his arm slot but for some reason Ron wants to use him for whole innings.

Sent From My Rotary Phone
BigDee
RealGM
And1: 1,349

Post#106 » by BigDee » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:38 am

jtf150 wrote:
BigDee wrote:The hat trick for Braun. Who would have thought.

The best part was the guy yelling "cheater" and the boos, then Braun hitting it out.
That was pretty funny.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#107 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:51 am

I've only seen about 10 innings total so far, but liking what I see. 5-2 start with our schedule is pretty solid.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,902

Post#108 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 9, 2014 11:53 am

Last year we started 1-5 and went 6-22 in May and the season was over. I at least want to go into August with a shot at the playoffs.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#109 » by Ill-yasova » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:00 pm

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/04/08/milwaukee-brewers-ron-roenicke-clueless-with-late-game-moves/

With Milwaukee leading 7-4 in the top of the seventh inning, left-handed Scooter Gennett was due to face southpaw hurler Mario Hollands with a runner on second base. Instead, Roenicke went with pinch-hitter Rickie Weeks to gain the platoon advantage and pray for a run-scoring hit. Weeks flew out to end the frame, but it was foolish managing regardless.
Gennett was 2-for-2 in the game, is seeing the ball extremely well, and he should get work against lefties when possible. Ahead by three runs is a great place to let him hit, especially when Weeks was 1-for-10 entering the at-bat.
The more egregious calculation was that the maneuver removed the better defensive second baseman while having a lead in the final third of the contest. Unless Gennett is nursing an injury or soreness, the move made absolutely no sense. Let Gennett hit and play second base. It’s that simple.
Instead, Roenicke then had to cover himself by replacing Weeks with Jeff Bianchi at second, meaning the Brewers had no middle infielders on the bench should Jean Segura or Bianchi go down. All of this is simply stupid when you’re winning a close game on the road.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,950

Post#110 » by Siefer » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:28 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/04/08/milwaukee-brewers-ron-roenicke-clueless-with-late-game-moves/

With Milwaukee leading 7-4 in the top of the seventh inning, left-handed Scooter Gennett was due to face southpaw hurler Mario Hollands with a runner on second base. Instead, Roenicke went with pinch-hitter Rickie Weeks to gain the platoon advantage and pray for a run-scoring hit. Weeks flew out to end the frame, but it was foolish managing regardless.
Gennett was 2-for-2 in the game, is seeing the ball extremely well, and he should get work against lefties when possible. Ahead by three runs is a great place to let him hit, especially when Weeks was 1-for-10 entering the at-bat.
The more egregious calculation was that the maneuver removed the better defensive second baseman while having a lead in the final third of the contest. Unless Gennett is nursing an injury or soreness, the move made absolutely no sense. Let Gennett hit and play second base. It’s that simple.
Instead, Roenicke then had to cover himself by replacing Weeks with Jeff Bianchi at second, meaning the Brewers had no middle infielders on the bench should Jean Segura or Bianchi go down. All of this is simply stupid when you’re winning a close game on the road.

I was perturbed by the move at the time that he made it. There is little evidence Rickie can even function as a platoon player at this point. I'd much rather see if Gennett can hit lefties respectably, and yes, he's a superior defender as well.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#111 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 9, 2014 5:29 pm

Siefer wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2014/04/08/milwaukee-brewers-ron-roenicke-clueless-with-late-game-moves/

I was perturbed by the move at the time that he made it. There is little evidence Rickie can even function as a platoon player at this point. I'd much rather see if Gennett can hit lefties respectably, and yes, he's a superior defender as well.

I was all for a lefty/righty platoon with Weeks and Gennett before the season started given Gennett struggles so much vs lefties and i'm not quite ready yet to scrap the platoon entirely, but wow does Rickie look horrible both at the plate and in the field. If he doesn't start hitting fairly soon, i'd consider just waiving Weeks, using Bianchi in a platoon at second base, and calling up another utility infielder.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,313

Post#112 » by trwi7 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:05 pm

Thing is after that move was made Segura got hit by a pitch and for a minute it was a question of whether he'd be able to continue playing which means we would've played the rest of the game with Reynolds playing 2nd base. He has to know that there is only one backup middle infielder, right?

Down by 1 with the platoon advantage and runners on base? Go for it. Up by 3 you just let it go and save your backups in case you need them later. That's why this roster construction is so horrible. Overbay doesn't seem like he's going to play much at all and since he can only play 1st base, he's more of a detriment than a help.

I think they give Weeks until the end of May at most to get it going and if he doesn't, they'll just release him because he can only play 2nd. If he's released they'll bring up Herrera who can play all over the infield and the outfield which would bring some much needed position flexibility to the bench.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#113 » by El Duderino » Wed Apr 9, 2014 7:25 pm

I agree on Herrera. The fact that he can play outfield also would be a big bonus given we only have one backup outfielder on the roster. Then Bianchi could be used in a platoon with Scooter if he can't hit lefties and Herrera would be available the fill in pretty much anywhere needed on a given night.

Not only isn't Weeks hitting, his defense is a trainwreck and i dread the thought of him being out there at second base late in any close game. At some point relatively soon, Attanasio may simply have to look at Rickie and his 10 million salary as sunk cost and just cut ties.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#114 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Apr 9, 2014 8:45 pm

El Duderino wrote:I agree on Herrera. The fact that he can play outfield also would be a big bonus given we only have one backup outfielder on the roster. Then Bianchi could be used in a platoon with Scooter if he can't hit lefties and Herrera would be available the fill in pretty much anywhere needed on a given night.

Not only isn't Weeks hitting, his defense is a trainwreck and i dread the thought of him being out there at second base late in any close game. At some point relatively soon, Attanasio may simply have to look at Rickie and his 10 million salary as sunk cost and just cut ties.

Yeah, I haven't been as down on Weeks as most, but at this point even i think its time to cut bait. Maybe theres someone out there that would give us a fringe prospect if we sent along cash to pay his salary? Would be better than just straight up releasing him, but we may not have a choice.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers