ImageImage

Around The League Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

User avatar
BigDee
General Manager
Posts: 9,380
And1: 219
Joined: Jul 11, 2006
Location: Canada
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#581 » by BigDee » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Frickin Cubs.
60% of the time. It works, every time.
User avatar
humanrefutation
RealGM
Posts: 17,648
And1: 2,904
Joined: Jun 05, 2006
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#582 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:56 pm

Damn, GoGo got DFA'd. Awful contract year for him. We dodged a helluva bullet with that one.
User avatar
WeekapaugGroove
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,370
And1: 2,136
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#583 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Luis sardinas also dfa today. I guess the Brewers "won" that trade because somehow hes actually worse than Flores lol
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
wichmae
RealGM
Posts: 15,459
And1: 709
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: Milwaukee

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#584 » by wichmae » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:02 pm

I'm kinda shocked by Carlos. He'll get a make good deal with someone. Not sure wtf happened with him over the last year.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,625
And1: 112
Joined: Jun 30, 2005
Contact:

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#585 » by DH34Phan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:06 am

You can tell Gomez was playing for a contract the past 2 seasons and his play suffered as a result. He couldn't handle the pressure and he is massive headcase.
User avatar
Iheartfootball
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,702
And1: 428
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: Yay area
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#586 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:55 am

DH34Phan wrote:You can tell Gomez was playing for a contract the past 2 seasons and his play suffered as a result. He couldn't handle the pressure and he is massive headcase.


Is that your professional opinion after spending many hours with him?
Oh man. Milwaukee. Damn.

Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs. And take them down.
Tfence92
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,537
And1: 176
Joined: Feb 14, 2015
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#587 » by Tfence92 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:56 am

I'd take Gomez back here in a heart beat...

Dude said he wanted to retire a brewer; make it happen Stearns!
User avatar
WeekapaugGroove
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,370
And1: 2,136
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: RE: Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#588 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:34 am

Tfence92 wrote:I'd take Gomez back here in a heart beat...

Dude said he wanted to retire a brewer; make it happen Stearns!

I was thinking he should be the new krod where they bring him back next year on a 1 year deal then when he plays well for a few months trade him again to a contender.

I say that only half jokingly since it wouldnt shock me if it happened. I assume gomez will be looking for a 1 year prove it deal this winter to try and rebound and get a long term contract the following year. He liked playing in Milwaukee and the brewers could look at him as a bridge to brinson/phillips.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
wichmae
RealGM
Posts: 15,459
And1: 709
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: Milwaukee

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#589 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 pm

Yeah theres no way they bring him back. Outside of those two years in 13 and 14 hes not been good. On top of that our organizational depth is the premier position he plays. The Gomez ship has sailed. Let him go to LAA or BAL to try and turn his career around. They need OF'rs
Tfence92
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,537
And1: 176
Joined: Feb 14, 2015
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#590 » by Tfence92 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:01 pm

Pretty sure he goes to a contender regardless, but idk how you can just throw out 13 and 14... since he was with the Brewers...
wichmae
RealGM
Posts: 15,459
And1: 709
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: Milwaukee

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#591 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Tfence92 wrote:Pretty sure he goes to a contender regardless, but idk how you can just throw out 13 and 14... since he was with the Brewers...

Because it was 2 years ago and he has done nothing since then. Hes been ridiculously bad. Not just at the plate. In every aspect he's been awful.
Tfence92
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,537
And1: 176
Joined: Feb 14, 2015
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#592 » by Tfence92 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:22 pm

wichmae wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:Pretty sure he goes to a contender regardless, but idk how you can just throw out 13 and 14... since he was with the Brewers...

Because it was 2 years ago and he has done nothing since then. Hes been ridiculously bad. Not just at the plate. In every aspect he's been awful.


'15 was an above average year in MLB terms, just awful compared to his breakout years.

This year has been God awful, but he can still be an impact on the bases... and idk what's up with the fielding this year, but he still has everything he did from the gold glove caliber years here. Not sure if it's lack of concentration or what, but I'm sure the the lack of hitting is definitely in the back of his mind all the time.
User avatar
Iheartfootball
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,702
And1: 428
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: Yay area
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#593 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:47 pm

There is no reason to sign Gomez during this rebuild. They need to audition young talent, not take on older vets that might not have much left. You could argue they could try and play him and flip him but I don't think he's that kind of player anymore and more importantly that window is quickly closing. This year was the fire sale, next year will wind it down. They are going to build mainly through the draft after 2017.
Oh man. Milwaukee. Damn.

Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs. And take them down.
wichmae
RealGM
Posts: 15,459
And1: 709
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: Milwaukee

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#594 » by wichmae » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:There is no reason to sign Gomez during this rebuild. They need to audition young talent, not take on older vets that might not have much left. You could argue they could try and play him and flip him but I don't think he's that kind of player anymore and more importantly that window is quickly closing. This year was the fire sale, next year will wind it down. They are going to build mainly through the draft after 2017.

Yea the Gomez ship has sailed. Hopefully they let go of the AAAA guys on the MLB level and see what our own AAAA guys in CS can do. Theres no way Reed and Wren can be worse than Kirk and Flores. Hopefully were picking top 8 and going forward developing our own guys.
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 23,622
And1: 802
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#595 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:52 pm

Mitch Haniger has made it to the bigs with a lofty [PCL-inflated] 1.134 OPS in AAA this year.

You may remember him as the assumed failed power prospect traded for Gerardo Parra.
User avatar
WeekapaugGroove
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,370
And1: 2,136
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: RE: Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#596 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:30 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Mitch Haniger has made it to the bigs with a lofty [PCL-inflated] 1.134 OPS in AAA this year.

You may remember him as the assumed failed power prospect traded for Gerardo Parra.

Im curious to see how he does. As of now id still take davies over him but who knows might end up being a good deal for the snakes too.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
wichmae
RealGM
Posts: 15,459
And1: 709
Joined: Feb 22, 2005
Location: Milwaukee

Re: RE: Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#597 » by wichmae » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:04 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Mitch Haniger has made it to the bigs with a lofty [PCL-inflated] 1.134 OPS in AAA this year.

You may remember him as the assumed failed power prospect traded for Gerardo Parra.

Im curious to see how he does. As of now id still take davies over him but who knows might end up being a good deal for the snakes too.

I absolutely take Davies over him.
User avatar
DH34Phan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,625
And1: 112
Joined: Jun 30, 2005
Contact:

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#598 » by DH34Phan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Iheartfootball wrote:
DH34Phan wrote:You can tell Gomez was playing for a contract the past 2 seasons and his play suffered as a result. He couldn't handle the pressure and he is massive headcase.


Is that your professional opinion after spending many hours with him?

Dude, this is a message board. Sorry, I should have said "IMO" that Gomez is a headcase.
User avatar
Iheartfootball
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,702
And1: 428
Joined: May 09, 2014
Location: Yay area
       

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#599 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:12 pm

DH34Phan wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:
DH34Phan wrote:You can tell Gomez was playing for a contract the past 2 seasons and his play suffered as a result. He couldn't handle the pressure and he is massive headcase.


Is that your professional opinion after spending many hours with him?

Dude, this is a message board. Sorry, I should have said "IMO" that Gomez is a headcase.


Dude, say whatever you want. It's a message board. Be prepared to defend your criticisms of human beings you know virtually nothing about.
Oh man. Milwaukee. Damn.

Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs. And take them down.
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 23,622
And1: 802
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Around The League Thread 

Post#600 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Piggybacking on what twirly will say about the Diamondbacks and some teams, it is really refreshing to see that not only are Casey McGehee and Erick Aybar (among others on this same team) on an MLB roster right now, they're batting 6th and 2nd, respectively.

Never change, old baseball people.

The last time Casey McGehee had a positive offensive WAR was 2010. But he's a run producer!

Return to Milwaukee Brewers