ImageImage

Game 19: Brewers @ Pirates 12:35

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Re: Game 19: Brewers @ Pirates 12:35 

Post#241 » by Captain Erv » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:09 am

It will be interesting to see what happens with Wang over his next few outings. Obviously, he seems to have a lot of potential, but if we stay in the hunt we can't afford to take up a bullpen spot for a guy that can only pitch when we are up or down by 5+ runs.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#242 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:09 am

Gomez brings up a good point in his post game quotes:

"I don’t know why they’re mad for something like that. Tabata hit a double, pimped it, we don’t do nothing. McCutchen do it yesterday." Russell Martin did it. We no do nothing. We respect that – ‘You win, OK, enjoy it.’ We hit a double, we hit a triple, they get mad."

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/0/v32164555/milpit-tabata-sends-an-rbi-double-to-center-field/?c_id=pit

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/0/v32218545/milpit-mccutchen-drives-a-twoout-double/?c_id=pit

Didn't take long for me to find those two videos of McCutchen and Tabata flipping their bats and admiring their hits, neither of which were home runs.
Captain Erv
General Manager
And1: 78

Post#243 » by Captain Erv » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:30 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealCJ10/status/457959862312255488[/tweet]
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#244 » by blazza18 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:33 am

Surely that's racist?

Anyway. Probably the best thing RRR has ever said - "(Cole is) the one that started it all," Roenicke said. "If you start it, we're going to respond.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Willie Colon
Starter
And1: 1,149

Post#245 » by Willie Colon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:36 am

Oh man, I didn't realize how hard Maldonado hit that guy. You can almost hear the impact.

Click this to zoom in on the bone-crushing action.
http://gfycat.com/TastySomberAmericanblackvulture#

I think we should keep Rickie so that he can have that Arn Anderson "enforcer" type role on the bench. He'll be useful whenever opposing teams want to knuckle-up.
We have Giannis Antetokounmpo and you don't. :naaa:
darklotus66
Senior
And1: 10

Post#246 » by darklotus66 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:36 am

JBucks wrote:By the way, does Lepay not sound exactly like Kevin Harlan? Awesome.

I legitimately thought it was Harlan and had to do a check if it was him.
milweskee
Starter
And1: 331

Post#247 » by milweskee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:42 am

darklotus66 wrote:
JBucks wrote:By the way, does Lepay not sound exactly like Kevin Harlan? Awesome.

I legitimately thought it was Harlan and had to do a check if it was him.

Samesies

Sent from my LG-P769 using RealGM Forums mobile app
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#248 » by BUCKnation » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:49 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:Gomez brings up a good point in his post game quotes:

"I don’t know why they’re mad for something like that. Tabata hit a double, pimped it, we don’t do nothing. McCutchen do it yesterday." Russell Martin did it. We no do nothing. We respect that – ‘You win, OK, enjoy it.’ We hit a double, we hit a triple, they get mad."

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/0/v32164555/milpit-tabata-sends-an-rbi-double-to-center-field/?c_id=pit

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/0/v32218545/milpit-mccutchen-drives-a-twoout-double/?c_id=pit

Didn't take long for me to find those two videos of McCutchen and Tabata flipping their bats and admiring their hits, neither of which were home runs.

Yup, they come off looking like the Cardinals or Giants (not compliments) where they get salty over the littlest things, but at the same time, are huge hypocrites.

I actually enjoy having this rep, it reminds me of later Prince years where everything we did got under peoples' skins.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Game 19: Brewers @ Pirates 12:35 

Post#249 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 am

I give Gomez a bit of blame for this: Dude runs a bit hot. He should have not freaked out right away assuming Cole didn't say something horrendously bad.

That said, the thin skin and double standards in baseball are pathetic, specifically in the division. Celebrations in other sports are 100x some of these.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#250 » by El Duderino » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:29 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:I give Gomez a bit of blame for this: Dude runs a bit hot. He should have not freaked out right away assuming Cole didn't say something horrendously bad.

That said, the thin skin and double standards in baseball are pathetic, specifically in the division. Celebrations in other sports are 100x some of these.

Few things in baseball bother me more than the socalled unwritten rules about how players are supposed to behave.

This is professional baseball not little league. It's paid entertainment. To me, out there personalities are good for the game. It helps cause fans of opposing teams hate certain players, which i view as a positive. We need more of that, not less IMO.

Never once have i gotten upset for say a hitter admiring a hard hit ball, a pitcher showing lots of emotion after a big K, a basestealer being flashy after stealing a base, etc etc. Cocky personalities like Manny, Rickie Henderson, David Ortiz, Gomez, and others help make the game more interesting to me. What bothers me instead is when certain players or managers feel they get to be the deciders of how much emotion a player can show after say a big hit or admiring a home run. Thus, they feel they are entitled to start yelling at a cocky players or throw a rock hard ball at the player traveling 90 mph or faster. It's ridiculous and annoys the hell out of me.

So yea Carlos acted like a hot dog after hitting that ball and didn't run right away. If anyone should have been mad it's Roenicke, not Cole. Just take the ball, STFU, and pitch to the next batter. I'd say the same if roles were reversed.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,845

Post#251 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:14 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:I give Gomez a bit of blame for this: Dude runs a bit hot. He should have not freaked out right away assuming Cole didn't say something horrendously bad.

Right. It was all just trash talk until Gomez charged at him while he was walking away, then shoved the umpire aside and charged at other Pittsburgh players moments later. I don't know what's so hard to understand about that. Watch their body language and watch Carlos. It's just another case of Carlos being a hothead.

He should just curse and yell back, not confront him physically. It was incredibly stupid and it hurts the team. It's understandable that they celebrate their hits, that Carlos celebrates his, and that pitchers get irritated. Carlos is the one that took it way too far. I don't understand why people defend him so eagerly. Gomez thinks they're punks, Pittsburgh thinks he's a punk; you talk trash, play ball, and let the better man win. Don't charge at the dude. Wtf?

And nobody else is pissed as hell that Gomez could have made it home if he had run hard the whole way?? I guess I can't blame you guys for completely giving up on the team with regard to baserunning smarter than a high school club, but damn that was annoying.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#252 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:18 am

El Duderino wrote:

Thus, they feel they are entitled to start yelling at a cocky players or throw a rock hard ball at the player traveling 90 mph or faster. It's ridiculous and annoys the hell out of me.

Yell, celebrate, show emotion? Sure, why not. All that's part of the game. Confront someone physically, charge them, throw a ball at them? Hell no. McCann was being a bitch last year and pitchers who throw at guys for stuff like that are borderline criminals in my opinion, but Cole was there to back up the bag and just said some choice words and walked away. Why isn't anyone saying that Gomez needs to have thicker skin too?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,868

Post#253 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:24 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
El Duderino wrote:

Thus, they feel they are entitled to start yelling at a cocky players or throw a rock hard ball at the player traveling 90 mph or faster. It's ridiculous and annoys the hell out of me.

Yell, celebrate, show emotion? Sure, why not. All that's part of the game. Confront someone physically, charge them, throw a ball at them? Hell no. McCann was being a bitch last year and pitchers who throw at guys for stuff like that are borderline criminals in my opinion, but Cole was there to back up the bag and just said some choice words and walked away. Why isn't anyone saying that Gomez needs to have thicker skin too?

I don't think anyone is absolving Gomez from his share of the blame. Not sure why you continue to think that.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,957

Post#254 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:30 am

I love it when guys admire a nice home run. Key words. If Gomez busts it out of the box it's an inside the park home run.
keepsilence
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#255 » by keepsilence » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:59 am

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I don't think anyone is absolving Gomez from his share of the blame. Not sure why you continue to think that.

But a lot of people make Gomez's share of blame out to be equal to or less than Cole's. Which doesn't make sense since all Cole did was yell; he wasn't the one who started a physical confrontation.
In other sports if yelling at your opponent was the equivalent of coming at someone to physically fight, they would never get around to playing the game. Yet in baseball it warrants that.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#256 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:04 am

I'm ready to drop it after this post. I'm enjoying this season and would rather talk about where the Brewers go from here. I do disagree strongly with what people are saying about the fight and especially with the "it was the other team's fault!" tone though. I don't see how people don't realize that Carlos was the aggressor. More importantly, Carlos really hurt the team there. Could have cost them this game by throwing away a run, and might miss a few with no legit cf to back him up.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,562

Post#257 » by blazza18 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:31 am

Gomez said he thought it was an out, so I guess that's why he didn't go full GoGo mode until after he went passed first base. No question he would have scored on it though.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
-Jragon-
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,448

Post#258 » by -Jragon- » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:37 am

CHL it's because you're being biased about Gomez without taking all info in...

First, Gomez said in the article that he didn't think it was a homer and jogged and watched because he thought he flew out after good contact. So he was likely surprised and not expecting the pitcher to say something.

Second, it was all over until Snider and Martin kept coming at him which is when Gomez pushed away the ump. So they started and continued it

Third, it's obvious that they're just pist that the brewers just handed them their a## 5 out of 6 games prior and they are frustrated.

Yes, Gomez should be hustling to first anyways, but are we supposed to back off of them starting sh#t like like we're puss##s while they say what they want even though they flip their bats all the time just because we're winning and they're losing right now?! F- that Cole said it right later when he said he opened his mouth and got his own guy hurt. Bet they'll STFU next time.

Sent from my LG-D500 using RealGM Forums mobile app
dedned
Analyst
And1: 1,333

Post#259 » by dedned » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:25 am

I'm not mad at Gomez. I like it. We've let other teams get away with **** for too long.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,957

Post#260 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 am

blazza18 wrote:Gomez said he thought it was an out, so I guess that's why he didn't go full GoGo mode until after he went passed first base. No question he would have scored on it though.

Yea, and that's crap. :lol:

Return to Milwaukee Brewers